Author Topic: PS3 Estimated at $400  (Read 29275 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: PS3 Estimated at $400
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2005, 06:32:34 PM »
I still don't get why people call the PS1 the PSX.  They're too horribly different things.  One was the greatest success ever and the other...wasn't.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:PS3 Estimated at $400
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2005, 07:29:46 PM »
"Counting accessories like a memory card and a game (which might be $60) and you can quite easily go over $700. That's getting pretty damn expensive. In comparison the Rev would probably be around $380 assuming a $275 US price plus tax. "

And that's even with the incredibly strong Canadian dollar; I believe the exchange rate is 1.23. Going back a while(not that far), it has been more than 1.64, but I'll use 1.50 as a comparison. Using that, it could quite easily go over $850 w/ a game and a controller (The PS3 has a hard drive I believe). The Rev, in comparison, would be (using the $275 price point) about $550..

Now these are imaginary numbers, but they could have been very realistic if the exchange rate hadn't changed. That's a sh!tload of money, whichever way you slice it...

Personally, I think the PS3 is going to be $359.99 US, the 360 will be $299.99 US, and the Rev will be $249.99 US
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2005, 09:16:10 PM »
"I still don't get why people call the PS1 the PSX."

PSX is the real abbreviation for the Playstation.  It was widely used until Sony revealed the PSOne model.  Back before the PS2 came out people used the abbreviation PSX because with no PS2 it would have made no sense to call it the PS1.  Sony calling their multimedia thingy the PSX just f*cked everything up.  I wonder if they were deliberately trying to kill off the original PSX abbreviation to strengthen the modern PS1 brand name.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2005, 09:40:53 PM »
It was the project name, the X was added after the deal with Nintendo broke. It's called PSX for the same reason all sites have DOL and NTR sections nowadys.

Everyone wants TLAs nowadays, two letters apparently aren't enough and that's why many sites add an N to DS and GC or an X to PS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2005, 10:35:07 AM »
I think KDR is posting is some kind of code... what is DOL and NTR

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
They were the codenames for the Nintendo systems before they were released.

NTR=Nitro -> DS
DOL=Dolphin -> Cube

If you look at the model numbers for Nintendo's products you will see that they correspond with their system's codename. The NTR-001 is the DS system. NTR-004 is the stylus. The games have model numbers like this too. (Well, sort of. The discs have a model number of DOL-006, but there is also a unique game-based product code. For example, DL-DOL-GZLE-USA is the U.S. version of Wind Waker.)  
Thanks for listening.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2005, 11:29:41 AM »
Dolphin and Nitro.

I think.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »
EDIT!!

gah!  Double post'd!

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2005, 04:36:59 AM »
I don't know if this was put in another topic, but Sony's president recently said the following:  

We're looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3. We're currently shifting from standard TVs to HD TVs. But in the next couple of years, most flat-panel TVs will be full HD. We're releasing the PS3 with full HD features from the start so that consumers won't have to buy another version of the console in the future. For the same reason, we're using Blu-ray as the PS3's disc format.

I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households.

I'm not going to reveal its price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive.

Now, I don't quite understand this statement.  I mean the obvious question is who exactly are they targeting?  And as Cnet.com says, it is slightly (only slightly of course) that he says it will "only be expensive."  I mean what do they plan on selling this thing for?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2005, 06:25:15 AM »
I really like the idea that Sony is trying to extend the life expectancy of the game systems...however, no game system will last 10 years...unless all three  companies get together and decide to delay a new system.

I can see Nintendo agreeing to that because Nintendo seems to make a more friendly enviroment for developers and publishers, a longer life cycle would achieve that.

Microsoft though, I really don't see them willing to sit for 10 years when they could easily launch a new system in 6 years that would completely blow away the competition.  

I see next generation MAYBE lasting 6 years...but nothing longer than that.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2005, 08:29:01 AM »
I can see it lasting 10 years but MS would definately make an upgrade available and Nintendo might too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »
If any upgrade is available it will probably be a new system...I don't see the companies trying an add on device or upgrade...they never sell well.

That is the thing.  Someone will do something to try to jump ahead of the pack be it release a new system earlier than expected or something.  

You know Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will all be developing and researching a new system from day one after this next generation is out the door to prevent from being blindsided.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2005, 09:32:22 AM »
If any company seriously wants a console to last ten years this is probably the only way to do it.  It has to have REALLY impressive hardware so that means it has to be pretty pricey.  Nintendo couldn't do this because they always try to balance cost and hardware so there's always some omission that requires a new console to come along in five years.

But this is a big risk.  Okay so the PS3 can last 10 years.  Great.  By then the Rev and X360 will probably be dated as hell.  But Sony has to sell consoles NOW in order to last 10 years.  We dont know the Rev hardware yet but the X360 doesn't look dated right now and now is what matters.  The price could make a huge difference.  Traditionally with electronics things are really expensive for early adopters but get better as time goes on.  Nintendo and Microsoft's early adopter price might be around Sony's middleground price.  In comparison to Sony the competition is skipping the early adopter price entirely.  That could greatly affect sales.

The Rev could be $250 at launch.  In comparison it might take the PS3 a couple of years to reach that price at which point the Rev should be even cheaper.  Same with MS though it might take the PS3 less time to match the price.  Even then though MS can just lower their price.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2005, 09:55:31 AM »
Personally, I don't think it matters how powerful they make PS3...Having seen several games and demos for Xbox 360 and PS3, I think as long as the actual games live up to that, we've basically reached the point where any new systems are going to be like new computer animated movies.  They'll cram 50% more details and some nifty new effect in, and a few people who really know what's going on will be impressed, but most people will not see the difference.

In other words, PS"4" and Xbox "720" are not going to be able to top the next-gen systems by a large enough margin to justify spending hundreds of dollars on them - unless they don't live up to expectations.  I think even PS3 and Xbox 360 are having a hard time justifying their existance with the graphics they're offering.

Because of that Sony may be thinking it's time to extend system lifespans.  I'm cool with that, but are Microsoft and Nintendo?  Nintendo probably would be, it wanted this generation to go longer than it did.  Microsoft will no doubt release another system in five to six years in the hopes of knocking Sony out.  I don't believe graphics alone will do that, but maybe some other emerging technology will force Sony to upgrade or replace the PS3.  What if Blu Ray fails miserably and HD DVD or some other new medium proves to be really popular, for example?

I fully agree with Ian on one thing: Sony can't make it too expensive. Publishers and developers won't care how good the system is going to look in five years if it doesn't have any users now.  I still think PS3 will be priced low enough to do well but it's sounding more and more like it really will be a lot more expensive than Xbox 360.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2005, 12:01:15 PM »
lol, matt can actually be funny!

go look at his print ad for ps3...haha...

EDIT: ..."The PS3 is not aimed at households" is not a comment I'd be making if I wanted to sell it at a low price, guys...at this point I honestly see a $500 price tag at launch.  Plus Spring isn't exactly an ideal launch time...I see a strong launch lineup, weak launch.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42