Author Topic: Uninformed Reviews: Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom  (Read 2382 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Battle for Bikini Bottom!! Ha ha ha, it's...no wait, it's only funny because the cartoon already came up with the whole Bikini Bottom bit in the first place...Oh well.  I played this game for a couple of hours and collected about 3/4 of the stuff in the first world, plus a bit in the hub world.

The Good:
  • Mostly great use of the Spongebob liscence.  The story would never happen in the show, but it still "fits" for the most part.
  • The animation is pretty funny.  Best player-on-NPC violence I've seen in a while - they all have funny animations when you hit them.
  • There are quite a few funny lines, and the voice acting as a whole is good, except they didn't get all of the official voice actors.
  • When the game is inspired, it's great.  Like the mini-game where you bungee-jump from a fishing line.

The Bad:
  • It's not inspired 90% of the time.  Then it's like playing a million other 3D platformers - with Spongebob!
  • Beyond the animation, the graphics are pretty blah.  Cel-shading would have been very appropriate, I can't figure out why it isn't used in more 3D game adaptations of 2D cartoons.
  • The sound-alikes do a decent job of delivering their lines but it's obvious they're not the real voice actors.  "I am a game developer imitating Mr. Krabs!"  Less or even no voice acting be better than this mix of real actors and ringers.

The Funny:
  • "I don't get it." - one of a bunch of great quotes that Patrick, the dumb one, spouts randomly while you play as him.

The Battle for Bikini Bottom is not a bad 3D platformer, it's just a very generic one that relies heavily on the franchise.  If you're a big Spongebob Squarepants fan, like I am, then you'll probably enjoy it enough to buy it on the cheap, but there's no reason for anyone else to pick this game over the other two-dozen generic platformers on the GameCube.

Score: 7.0
  • That's my opinion, not yours.
    Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX