Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive  (Read 45697 times)

Offline Kulock

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2004, 05:46:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Finnegan
hold on, hold on.....
you cant determine anything about the Revolution yet.  We don't even know what it IS.

Ironically, that's the problem. Sony and Microsoft are actively farming out early PS3 and Xbox 2 development kits and showing off the capabilities to 3rd parties. Nintendo's playing secretive again and thus most third parties have only the vaguest idea of what it might potentially be able to do. Logically, they're going to start (in some cases, already have) developing games for the consoles with the clearest frameworks already present, even if Nintendo shows them the dev kits _later_, they'll already be headlong into PS3 and Xbox 2 dev, and the most Rev fans can hope for is quick and potentially shoddy ports.

Originally posted by: Finnegan
After hearing this news, GC has not lost a game, so it still has what it had before that announcement so this should not make you more or less happy or content with GC's lineup than before.

They lost the console selling power an exclusive title can provide. Imagine if Halo had received a GCN release in addition to being on the Xbox, with all the same capabilities, and maybe more (built-in online play, let's say, since that's a possibility for RE4 PS2). Halo wasn't an instant console seller, it was a word-of-mouth title that generated fans more and more as they got their friends to play it. Now, eight months after the Xbox release (this was back when the console wars this gen were still somewhat of a tossup between GCN and Xbox), this great game they've been hearing about has a brand new GCN release with these extra added features and a few new levels. Well, let your friend have the old Xbox release, but you're going to get the brand new one. This saves you from getting your own Xbox anyway to play the title regularly, because you already owned a GCN.

Oops. While Halo as game might still be a huge hit, Halo 2 suddenly isn't something Microsoft can rely on to exclusively sell consoles for their side. In fact, if the GCN version had sold well, we'd see a simultaneous release for both consoles. Suddenly there's not as much of a clear-cut advantage unless Bungie illogically built in some major flaws to one version or the other. (They don't want to bother with Microsoft's proprietary online service, so only the GCN version has online play, or the GCN version's audio is heavily compressed from the smaller disc format.)

What's funny is this anecdote reminds me of something Capcom tried, the Viewtiful Joe PS2 port, with the added Dante playability, and now VJ2 coming to PS2 and GCN simultaneously. The only part that doesn't work is that I heard the PS2 VJ port's sales weren't that fantastic.

Anyway, RE4 wouldn't have generated THIS much buzz, but it was a heavily-wanted game in Japan, and had Nintendo and Capcom advertised it well and it still remained exclusive, it might've really pushed some GCNs off the shelves. But now the news will get around that the PS2 is getting a port, possibly with more features (and gamers love their extra features), so for PS2-only owners, why bother buying a new console for the game when you can just wait and get it a little later with more added?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2004, 06:40:13 AM »
Well, if there's one thing we've learned today, it's that you should never rely on third parties: they're fickle and will go wherever the market leads them.

And they'll always be on the other systems because Nintendo simply isn't cut out to be the leader of the market anymore: they're simply, plainly, culturally irrelevant to most modern gamers. And the very thing that makes them irrelevant is their dedication to game-control-and-quality-at-the-cost-of-everything-else. So in the end, it's just that the time for Nintendo being the biggest thing in gaming is over. They had their day back in the 80's and 90's. It's someone else's turn now, and Sony/Microsoft are suited to bring gaming to today's masses in a way that Nintendo never could.

But another thing we should all be learning is: "are we Nintendo fans?" Does it matter to us if we're niche or not? Does it matter to us that we're buying a console for only one company's games? Does Nintendo still strike us as the only quality game maker out there, or do we play their games and go "eh..." like all our PS2-loving friends?

Simply put: DO we care enough about playing Nintendo games to disregard marketshare and industry speak? Do we believe that we can't find higher quality games of this style elsewhere? Do Nintendo values still matter to us in these modern days?

Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2004, 06:54:03 AM »

logically, you cant be more disappointed in your GC because RE4 is going to PS2, because it only affects what is on PS2, not what is on GC. After hearing this news, GC has not lost a game, so it still has what it had before that announcement so this should not make you more or less happy or content with GC's lineup than before.

Missing the point.  It effects the GC terribly.  It goes deeper than being happy or unhappy with the GC lineup.  Fans were counting on getting a great game that is exclusive, for once, and now they get the carpet pullled out from under them.  Nobody will buy the GC for RE4 now.  And it WAS going to be a system seller, despite what TYP says.  The hype on this game is huge, and to hear it announced for PS2 before it's released just kills it.  People will wait until the PS2 version comesa out, and it will have more levels and options, I can assure you of that.  This hurts Nintendo, and its fans.  Being a Nintendo fan, this doesn't make me hate my game collection.  It makes me wonder if I'll even have a collection of Nintendo games next gen.  That is the underlying outrage right now.

I waited for Halo on PC, as well as Grand Theft Auto VC.  So i'm quite certain PS2 fans can wait while they play their dozens of other exclusive games that will ship this year.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2004, 07:00:42 AM »
double
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2004, 07:29:26 AM »
Guys, guys, Resident Evil 4 is an entirely different matter than Viewtiful Joe or Tales of Symphonia. This isn't just adding a few extra levels and options anymore. Ask yourself: Could RE4 look that gorgeous on the PS2? RE4 is specificially developed using the GCN hardware and probably to its fullest potential.

People will still buy the GCN for RE4, it's that the more patient ones will wait and likely get a version not as nice looking. I understand you're worried about future third-party support, but this isn't a 'Nintendo is doomed' scenario yet again.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2004, 07:30:21 AM »
Well the good news is that mainly hardcore RE fans will hear of this but wait no......NO.....NOOOO...........Remember that PS2 loving salesman at Gamestop........Oh $hit.......He's gonna tell all those little mainstream gamers...........

Officially pissed off at Capcom.  I wanted that Street Fighter Collection and the cool Street fighter controller, but no Nintendo doesn't get it.  Nintendo should just take Zelda Minish Cap away from them, steal all the game data and finish the game themselves and take all profits from the game.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2004, 07:39:29 AM »
Realistically Capcom just f*cked themselves.  As some one already mentioned late 2005 is around when the next generation is rumored to be starting.  All Capcom has done now is pissed a hell of a lot of GC owners off and destroyed their own hype.  I can promise the sales won't be as strong as the would have been.  A lot of people were willing to buy cubes for this.  Now many will wait (and hopefully forget) about RE4... lost in the holiday shuffle of '05.
I think this is a Sony conspiracy to ensure no mature games do well on the GCN.  We'll never get an M-rated 3rd title again...
"hold on, hold on.....
you cant determine anything about the Revolution yet. We don't even know what it IS. You don't name something Revolution unless it is going to deliver. I highly doubt it is just another processing power upgrade."
Well I usually don't do predict doom for a console that hasn't even been described yet, but Nintendo is on a very bad downward trend.  They have no marketshare or mindshare and it is sh!t like this that reinforces it monthly.  I let ToS, Monkey ball, and the rest of the Capcom 4 go because they were never under contract, but RE4 IS under contract.  A contract that still has a year left and Capcom is making this announcement before the game is out.  And Capcom is a 3rd party WITH respect for Nintendo.  With friends like that, who the hell needs enemies.   I'm sure Baiten Kaitos is next on the 'to port list'.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2004, 08:26:29 AM »
Baten Kaitos sold like sh#t, it's as much a candidate for porting as P.N.03.

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »
Capcom sums' a bitches!

OK, Can anyone tell me how Capcom was able to get out of the "Capcom five contract" with nearly every game?
Didn't Mikami himself say even he didn't expect Capcom to honor his contracts anymore? And does this mean that Nintendo PAID for this game to be developed and now Capcom gets a free game to port to the Piss-Station-2?

I didn't like there dealings before and now I officially declare That Capcom SUCKS!

Offline Microtic

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2004, 09:52:19 AM »
Well... if anyone here lives in Japan. Or wants to call long long distance. The best place to complain would be

Public Relations Office
Tanaka and Inoda, Capcom Co., Ltd.
(Tel)+81-6-6920-3623,  (Fax)+81-6920-5108
Official Timer/QC'er for Anime-Otakus!

Also an Official for the S-LAN (The Saskatchewan LAN Organization)

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2004, 10:16:15 AM »
Whents the last time Nintendo had a Third Party exclusive that stayed exclusive?

This is getting Retarded. This is the reason why Nintendo gets its ass kicked by Sony.  

Offline Rage2Wrath

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2004, 11:01:44 AM »
I think you people are way to quick to jump on the "nintendo is d00000m3d" bandwagon. Nintendo is making money, not loseing it.  They also have , in my opinion, the best console lineup out today. I have an Xbox and a beefy computer. What do I play the most? My Gamecube.  You all can say as mush as you want about the mistakes Nintendo has made but the fact remains there are some incredible games that have been released exclusively fo the GCN, and isn't that what is really important?  There are still quite a few to come and ones yet to be announced. Nintendo may not be number 1 but there are some logical reasons for this. 1, PS2 was realeased a whole year before the GCN and Xbox, it is easily the weakest of the 3 but the but still has the largest market share do to the simple fact that it came out so early (some would say too early). 2, the Xbox came out the door with guns blazing spending tons of money or advertising and getting exclusives and buying games. They had the most powerful system with a hard-drive built in and the most comprihensive and thourogh on-line service availible for cheap. They were eating an estimated $150 on each Xbox sold when it first released and are still loseing money on each one today. Xbox live has yet to turn a profit for them, as has the Xbox as a whole. The xbox has done but lose money for Microsoft, compunded on the fact that the systems is a pirates wet dream the whole project monatarily speaking is a bust. After taking all that in, the Xbox is ARGUABLY in 2nd place in the US, its not even what I would call in last place in Japan, hell it's not even in the race here. But no one ever rights articles about Microsoft and all the mistakes they made. No one ever picks on Xbox, even the GCN has made more money for Nintendo than the Xbox EVER will for Microsoft. I think you all need to step back and re-evaluate the problems you have with Nintendo. I agree this is a dickhead move on Capcom's part, but the Revolution is right around the corner. Its too early to call the console predictions, but here is my DS vs. PSP predictions. DS and PSP will have strong openings, maybe slightly in favor of the PSP. But the DS will win. History tells us gamers are more interested in battery life, ease of portability and games than graphics and special features. Gameboy has constintly beat out competitours with better hardware, more gadgets and the latest innovations. I think the PSP will end up being a dud just like every other handheld left in Nintendo's wake.
Damn Astronazi's playin their cosmo blasters all hours of the night.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2004, 11:06:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell
Whents the last time Nintendo had a Third Party exclusive that stayed exclusive?

First, I was gonna say Ikaruga, but then I remembered that came out on the Dreamcast first.
Then, I was gonna say Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, but that's been announced for PS2.

What about Beach Spikers?  That was a fun game.  For a few days...

Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2004, 11:09:36 AM »
Yeah... Sega sure is loosing money by not porting Beach Spikers to the PS2 Lol...

Monkey Ball... (Wheres Monkey Ball 3?) Sonic Mega Collection... Sonic Hereos... Tales of Symphonia... Every Capcom 5 Title...  Jeeze...  Its sad.  

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2004, 11:14:23 AM »
im trying to stay optimistic of nintendo, but bad news just keeps pouring in.  I figure the war between DS and PSP will be the teller of what to expect next generation.  After all nintendo did say the DS is part of what to expect for the revolution.  I surely hope nintendo will trounce the psp but so far its not looking good.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2004, 12:10:41 PM »
"When's the last time Nintendo had a Third Party exclusive that stayed exclusive?"

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is still exclusive.  Same with Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (for now).  Though with Twin Snakes you can argue that as a remake of a Playstation game that it's not truly exclusive.  And FFCC is published by Nintendo so you might not count it as third party.  So in that case I guess it would be Rebel Strike which is rumoured to be ported to the Xbox with Rogue Leader.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2004, 12:33:04 PM »
Exactly.... Nintendo wont go anywhere without Third Party Exclusives...

I wonder what Capcom had to do to break the contract....  Pay some of the monye back? Make another deal with Nintendo? I.E the Next RE will still be on the Gamecube/Revoluton first Ala GTA...

Nintendo had to know about this, If not they could sue Capcom for Breach of Contract.  

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2004, 12:38:18 PM »
Rebel Strike :-(

Even Super Monkey Ball is being ported around.  In the short term, it's good for gamers...more people can play these great games.  But in the long-term, it hurts Nintendo, which I think will hurt gamers if things get further out of hand.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2004, 01:02:43 PM »
Pretty Much... Nintendo needs a big time announcement soon to help turn things around
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2004, 01:07:47 PM »
IGNPS2 has updated their article with some quotes from Capcom now.  Most notably:

When statements were made regarding GCN exclusivity, they were true at the time they were said. However, it was a recent executive decision from Capcom Japan to begin development of the game for the PS2.
 This really pisses me off.  I can't believe that statement at all considering the interview with Shinji Mikami that was posted by ruby earlier.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2004, 01:19:35 PM »
It would be hilarious, if Nintendo hired Mikami away from Capcom....

I think it was one of PSMs predictions.  Or Hideo Kojima...

Hey PSM ended up being right about RE4...  

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2004, 01:19:51 PM »
The contract simply expires at the time of the future PS2 release. Exclusivity contracts mostly last for half a year, getting a four year contract is pretty fortunate. You know, everyone is taking this news from Nintendo's point of view, you could also see it from Capcom's point of view. Capcom's financial situation isn't all that bright the last few years. I don't know the exact numbers, but it isn't good. Devil May Cry 2 was a disaster, the sales of the PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe hasn't sold well up to this point. So to be able to keep the company healthy and to continue the Resident Evil, Mega Man, Devil May Cry series etcetera, serious money is needed. And that's why I think the high executives at Capcom decided this. I don't think they planned this to screw Nintendo. Can you really blame Capcom? Or would you rather they'd go bankrupt? Mikami is just the developer, he doesn't know the exact financial situation of Capcom.

You could see it from a positive point of view and be thankful they released Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0 exclusively and Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4 etcetera on the GCN first. Who would have thought the GCN would snatch the Resident Evil series five years ago? Capcom has supported the GCN for so long and has taken financial hits of many things as well. I really commend them for being supportive for so long. It isn't that Capcom will cease all Nintendo support, on the contrary, we'll see many more Capcom titles coming to Nintendo consoles if it's financially stable again. But that worries me, what if Capcom doesn't? It would be truly sad if some day Capcom has to leave the video game business.

*sigh* To me this all sounds like fanboy squabble. You still get to enjoy the game. Or is it that you can't enjoy it knowing that PS2 owners can enjoy it too after a year? Because that would be really sad.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2004, 01:28:26 PM »

I don't think they planned this to screw Nintendo. Can you really blame Capcom? Or would you rather they'd go bankrupt? Mikami is just the developer, he doesn't know the exact financial situation of Capcom.

I blame Nintendo for not paying out to keep it exclusive.

*sigh* To me this all sounds like fanboy squabble. You still get to enjoy the game. Or is it that you can't enjoy it knowing that PS2 owners can enjoy it too after a year? Because that would be really sad.

First off, i hate" *sigh*".  Very patronizing.  Secondly,  you can't see why people are upset?  They planned on having the RE series exclusive when they bought the GC.  We were also told the Capcom 5 were only for the GC.  Then it was 4, then 3, now it's one! Also, of course we're thinking from Nintendos point of view, afterall, this is a Nintendo forum.  We are concerned about Nintendo losing more and more exclusives.  And the announcement being made before the GC version even comes out is a kick in the head.  It virtually assures that people will wait for their PS2 version, which will be enhanced, no doubt.   This is bad news for not exactly the happiest of places right now, Nintendo-ville.  

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »

Or is it that you can't enjoy it knowing that PS2 owners can enjoy it too after a year

We want Nintendo to remain in the console buisness, not only that but we want nintendo to be more than a Distant Third in the Console Race.

You dont get more than Third, by letting all your Console Exclusives go away. Console Exclusives Sell Consoles simple buisness logic

Fanboy Squabble? Last time i checked this is a Nintendo Forum  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2004, 01:36:52 PM »
Even if the contract expired in time for ports, the timing of this announcement is simply horrible.

WAY TO GO CRAPCOM.  YOU COULD'VE HAD GREAT CUBE SALES AND GREAT PS2 SALES, BUT NOW YOU'LL GET ok CUBE SALES AND GREAT PS2 SALES, AND WASTED YOUR MONEY MARKETING THE CUBE VERSION.

I PLACE THE VIEWTIFUL JOE PS2 SALES CURSE ON THEE "THINNERRRRR..."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.