Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive  (Read 45691 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 08:24:14 PM »

If I am not mistaken RE4 was the only game on the "Capcom 5" was definatly going to be exclusive. IGN makes it seem there was a contract with Nintendo, so Capcom did 1 of 2 things: just straight-up break the contract with Nintendo and are just waiting to get sued like some dumb-ass, OR they bought their contract out from Nintendo. And I think we all know how much Nintendo loves money. Say what you will about them but they know how to be profitable. Folks....Nintendo has offically sold us out.

The contract was announced in Sept 2001. I remember hearing something or the other at one point about it being a 5-year contract covering the entire RE series (which is how Capcom wormed out of it at first, by claiming that some games "weren't a part of the series").

It may have been four years, not five. At which point, it just means that Capcom's yelling "Hey everybody, our contract with these Nintendo losers is expiring in a few months, so don't buy this game! Just wait a little while longer, until we're allowed to blow this hellhole, and then we're gonna throw a party!"
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2004, 08:30:07 PM »
Thanks for that link, ruby. The irony is truly priceless.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2004, 08:35:25 PM »
God damn, this is horrible. Sony is always pissing me off. They are going to kill the handheld gaming that I loved so much and now all good 3rd party exclusive games on the GameCube are gone.

Although, it's not SO bad because the Xbox sells to a lot of people for just one game (Halo), so the GameCube can do it as well. ZELDA! HYPE HYPE HYPE!

I'd have to agree, we did get a lot of titles this year, although I didn't like any of them.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2004, 08:36:26 PM »
I don't think my comment is B.S., Berto2K, but perhaps I'm misinformed about Resident Evil fans and their purchasing patterns.  All I know is: RE Remake, RE0, Eternal Darkness and MGS:TS didn't seem to push many GameCubes.  GC still has exclusivity for a sizeable timespan on RE4; the game should still sell well on the GameCube.

Purchasing a console based merely on future titles is always a risk--the same thing happened when MS got Rare.  I imagine there were PS2 fans upset with DOA on the Xbox, too.  If I met someone on the street anxious about the new, mature Zelda and he asked if he should buy a GameCube for it, I'd tell him to wait until one month before a firm, official NOA date or a Japanese release.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 08:48:04 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
I don't think my comment is B.S., Berto2K, but perhaps I'm misinformed about Resident Evil fans and their purchasing patterns.  All I know is: RE Remake, RE0, Eternal Darkness and MGS:TS didn't seem to push many GameCubes.

Lets see:

REmake - Remake and not enough new for most waranted to purchase, same control style
RE:0 - Same control style
ED -  If they ever advertised at a normal hour of the day it might have
MGS:TTS - Everyone knew this was a port.  Most had already played it in its original form.  Only people who hadn't mostly bought it.

Both REmake and RE0 sold better than Capcom had hoped.  RE4 is a brand new game, nothing ported.  A new story-line, different controls, better visuals, ai, better everything.  They hype for this game must have been bigger than you knew.  The gaming community was excited for this game as you should have noticed at E3 cause we were both there.  Cause like I said, people had already decided to buy a Cube just for this game, now Capcom may have lost most of those system sales for Nintendo.

Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004, 08:50:10 PM »
RE has done pretty well on GameCube. Maybe they would have sold better on PS2. But the series has been stale in many peoples' eyes. IMO, they wouldn't have set the PS2's world afire either. RE4 was supposed to be different RE, with substantial hype, and all that. On a $100 console there was certainly real potential for hardware and subsequent software sales. As far as:

Eternal Darkness; even Sony couldn't sell ICO. Win some, lose some.

Twin Snakes; zero advertising from Konami. Didn't want to draw attention from MGS3. Thanks, so-called publisher.

It'll still sell well. It won't sell as well. And will the PS2 version sell enough to justify the port? VJ bombed even harder on the PS2. Releasing it one year later, after the next-gen systems' announcements at E3? This will just end up hurting everyone.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 09:00:31 PM »
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Rage2Wrath

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 09:11:43 PM »
I find it hard to believe the end of '05 release date. I think the game will get pushed back into '06, but even if it does release in '05 it will still be a year too late for the game. I can't think of previous "Nintendo Exclusive" that ended getting ported and sold more on the next system. Not with Viewtiful Joe on PS2, not with Godzilla on Xbox <---- that was a BIG bomb, and not with RE4. Capcom is just being greedy and stupid. Some people are going to skip on RE4 on GCN waiting for it to come to PS2 and when it finally gets released it will be old news and NEW christmas releases will eclipse the port of a year old game hurting it's sales. I think this is a mistake for Capcom on many differnt levels.
Damn Astronazi's playin their cosmo blasters all hours of the night.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2004, 09:14:08 PM »
Lesson learned. Next time I'll buy whichever system takes the top spot, probably PS3. Whenever a 2d game or something like that gets rejected by SCEA I'm going to point at the publisher at loss and LAUGH at them. Let them learn what "free market" really means!

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2004, 10:41:09 PM »

Michael "TYP" says: I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I really can't blame Capcom for this turn of events. Nintendo probably knows RE4 would not sell systems anyway.

The only thing that's sure is that we're never going to know now.

MaleficentOgre: I was previously against moving it to revolution, but now I'm all for it. Nintendo should concede defeat this time around and start working on the revolution campaign and getting third parties into legally binding agreements from third parties.

With the GameCube not even being able to "die gracefully", this impact is probably going to be about as bad for the Revolution as it is for the GameCube. It's a sorry day to be a Nintendo fan. Sony owns the third parties. Completely. I hope the Revolution turns out to be dirt cheap, because I'm probably going to have to end up buying it just for Nintendo's first-party titles (and Metroid Prime 3) now. I doubt I'll ever really need an XBox2. I guess it'll be PS3 for me.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2004, 10:50:13 PM »
Coming soon in drama land, Sony will give Capcom a money hat so that only the PS2 logo appears on RE4 print and television adverts. Seriously, I can see it happening.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2004, 11:58:29 PM »
I thought Capcom and Nintendo had stated that there was some sort of contract (signed prior to the release of the GameCube) that made the main Resident Evil series of games exclusive to Nintendo's console. I thought Capcom was contractually obligated to keep RE4 an exclusive Nintendo GameCube title.

I wonder if Nintendo can take any legal recourse against Capcom for breach of contract? Unless that contract expires sometime before the release of RE4 on the PS2?

Sorry for wording this like a 3 year old. I just woke up and well, this is the first thing I read. Happy Monday!!!
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004, 12:05:04 AM »
And what about RE Zero?

They might as well port that over to the PS2 too, using the excuse they gave us 'Cube owners when they ported 2, 3 and CVX about being able to play all of the main RE titles on one system.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rage2Wrath

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2004, 12:26:26 AM »
The game is going to look like garbage and run like crap. I was amazed they were able to pull off what they did on the GCN, let alone PORTING it to a inferior machine. I mean a port is never as good as the original even if it is ported to a better machine, but when they put it on a INFERIOR machine it will be total trash. Might as well port it to dreamcast for that matter. GEEZ
Damn Astronazi's playin their cosmo blasters all hours of the night.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 01:54:30 AM »
Contracts are bound to end, why do you think Capcom will release RE4 on the PS2 at the end of 2005? Capcom has always milked the Resident Evil franchise, look at the PS1, N64 and DC. So I wasn't that surprised this has been announced, considering what happened to Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7, but it's a really bad timing though. Capcom are really becoming the backstabbers of Nintendo. *sigh* Oh how I loved you once, Capcom.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2004, 02:58:05 AM »
The thing is shinji hates the ps2.  He's not going to have a damn thing to do with the port, so it'll suck unbeleivably.  If capcom does this again he's gone.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2004, 03:09:39 AM »
But he had something to do with the original so it won't 'suck unbelievably'.  Jeez, I honestly can't believe this.  It is so wrong to the point that it is unprofessional.  IGN PS2 is having a field day.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Finnegan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2004, 04:05:49 AM »
some of you guys are being ridiculous.  I can understand being mad that capcom lied repeatedly.  But some of you are saying things like, i am really disappointed in gc, or i should have got a ps2, or well i learned my leason and now i am going to get a ps3 instead of revolution.  I would understand you saying this IF Re4 was moved to Ps2 and canceled on GC.  But since gc is still getting it, and a year earlier than the ps2, im not sure what leason you learned or why that disappoints you further with your gc?  If you were already disappointed with your GC then fine, but this should not bring about any further disappointment for your GC.  Im not sure if you sound spoiled, like you want to be the only one to have the game, or what, but its a pretty immature attitude to have.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2004, 04:14:56 AM »
oh well
who cares
late 2005 will be the start of a new Era of video gaming anyway
people will be too busy saving for the new machines anyway, which at that point normally have low sales anyway

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:15 AM »
I learnt that I can either buy a Rev and get a few games or buy a PS3 and get all of the third-party games released on the Rev PLUS a huge library of exclusives. I'm not that interested in Nintendo's first party titles so they're not enough to sway me. It's just that the PS2 is a much better deal since it gets everything the competition gets but the competition gets almost nothing the PS2 gets. I'm planning on getting a PS2 to catch up on at least some of the top games this gen since the Cube got so few, anyway.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2004, 04:24:49 AM »
Now nintendo needs to release revolution BEFORE Capcom releases this on the ps2...take some wind out of their sales... =P  But seriously....I'm getting a seriously bad feeling in my gut about everything.... As I've always said, I don't let this crap bother me until it gets to the point where I worry about nintendo's livlihood as a company.  Now all of the sudden the PSP is gonna be a viable contender....the biggest 3rd party game to hit the gamecube is no longer exclusive...demasked is delayed....

:: Pale gets worried ::
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2004, 04:46:44 AM »
"But since gc is still getting it, and a year earlier than the ps2, im not sure what leason you learned or why that disappoints you further with your gc?"

Sure the Cube is still getting Resident Evil 4 but now you don't need a Cube to get it.  The amount of titles that absolutely require a Gamecube to play are shrinking.  So thus one might question a Cube purchase because realistically they could have bought a PS2 and got the same third party games plus more.

Plus this removal of exclusivity is significant.  This is the last major third party exclusive that we know of and now it's no longer exclusive.  That suggests a pretty bleak future for the Cube's lineup.  It also shows that third parties aren't interested in Nintendo anymore.  That suggests they're not going to take a risk with the Revolution as well.  The Revolution is going to be the hardest system to sell ever because of stuff like this.  Nintendo's welfare is now at risk and if they go broke we don't get any more of their games and the industry is run by multimedia corporations who see games purely as product to sell.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2004, 04:48:17 AM »
I now have no respect of Capcom.  I am still getting Resident Evil 4, but after that I am not too sure if I want to give my money to Capcom (I am getting the GBA Mega Man Collection too, but I don't know when that will actually come out), so actually I am planning on getting only 2 more games from Capcom, 'tis a shame too.    
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Finnegan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2004, 04:57:18 AM »
hold on, hold on.....
you cant determine anything about the Revolution yet.  We don't even know what it IS.  You don't name something Revolution unless it is going to deliver.  I highly doubt it is just another processing power upgrade.

logically, you cant be more disappointed in your GC because RE4 is going to PS2, because it only affects what is on PS2, not what is on GC.  After hearing this news, GC has not lost a game, so it still has what it had before that announcement so this should not make you more or less happy or content with GC's lineup than before.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2004, 04:59:33 AM »
BOOOOO to the Nth.
I'm not surprised, but why did they have to announce it BEFORE the game even comes out?  It's not like the PS2 version stands to gain anything by announcing it a year in advance, and the GameCube version stands to lose a lot.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX