Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive  (Read 45900 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« on: October 31, 2004, 06:18:56 PM »
PS2 owners will have to wait almost a whole year, but they will be getting it.

Capcom’s million-seller latest title “Resident Evil 4” expanding into Nintendo GameCube and PlayStaion2!

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce that “Resident Evil 4“, which is one of our million-seller titles, will be released for GameCube and PlayStation2.

We already made an announcement about release of “Resident Evil 4” for Nintendo GameCube in 2001. Since then, there are a lot of voices from users in all over the world, suggesting that “Resident Evil 4” is to be expanded to other platforms not only for Nintendo GameCube.

These voices made us decide to release “Resident Evil 4” for multi-platform. We will strive for developing “Resident Evil4” to feature of each characteristic of the console platforms.

Recently, the video game industry has shown steady growth focusing around US as well as Europe, and is expected to grow further with the introduction of next generation game machines such as new portable game players, namely PSP and Nintendo DS.

Under these environments, we have come to this conclusion after deliberating over customers’ needs, market environments, and various opinions from stakeholders such as shareholders or investors. We hope that this decision will create new demand and expand its fan base. At the same time, we also expect that the decision will bring about additional revenue base.

By deploying well-targeted promotions and supplying on software that goes along with various tastes of customers, we will strive for improving business results and customers’ satisfaction together with coping with changes of the business environments.

[Product Information]
Title: “Resident Evil [4]”
Genre:Survival Horror

Hardware:GameCube
Release Date (Projection)
Japan:January 27, 2005
U.S.A. January 11, 2005
Europe: Spring of 2005

Hardware: PlayStation 2
Release Date (Projection)
Japan :End of 2005
U.S.A. :End of 2005
Europe:End of 2005

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 06:38:57 PM »
The GameCube has now been officially, completely, and totally screwed over by the third parties.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 06:39:11 PM »
Horray for the Capcom 5! No wonder Nintendo doesn't bother most of the time, and who can really blame them?  

Offline Golden Maven

• View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Not GC Exclusive
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »
I can only imagine how crappy the PS2 version will look...

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 06:45:26 PM »
This is starting to get annoying. I can't wait to see the faces on those who doubted the GCN when Zelda hits.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 06:46:56 PM »

Pissed. Off.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 06:49:02 PM »
What a kick in the F'N nuts.  Another completely garbage announcement in which Nintendo will look on impassively as their killer app is no longer exclusive.  It will sell no GCs now.  People will just wait until it comes out for PS2 with online support and added features.  

Anyone who says this is not that big a deal: you're an apologist for Nintendo and should be deemed a mental patient.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 06:54:08 PM »
The timing on this announcement is a total kick in the face for Nintendo.  They could have waited until E3 to announce the PS2 version and given Nintendo a shot at having a system-seller.  Now PS2 owners will just wait and claim they're too busy now anyways.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 06:55:15 PM »
oh  I guess The Omen said about the same thing.  Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was copying you.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline RedTide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 06:55:39 PM »
I guess we were expecting just a little too much from Capcom on this one. Seems like  Better controls+better graphics is going to equal not as many sales. They could have at least kept this private until June or so.
Life could slip away in absent minded numbness
I'm only sayin this 'cuz I wish for the best
When you always stay in self-incarceration
I thinks it's such a shame

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 07:03:11 PM »
We know what we must do.  We spoil the game to ps2 owners a year before they ever get it TO KINGDOM COME.

*30 HOURS OF ONLINE SPOILER VIDEO EAT THIS HAHSHTAHAHAHA*
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 07:06:21 PM »

I guess we were expecting just a little too much from Capcom on this one. Seems like Better controls+better graphics is going to equal not as many sales. They could have at least kept this private until June or so.

Keeping ones word is not expecting too much.   They started by saying 5 exclusives...they delivered on one, which by no coincidence is the worse of the bunch.  

I am really starting to think Nintendo fans are just inclined to take whatever sh!t gets shoveled down their throats.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 07:08:24 PM »
Nintendo gives capcom the honor of making a new zelda game (Minish Cap) and now they kick us in the balls?  What happen to the Japanese and honor?  Maybe its the American influence, lol.

Seriously though, if Capcom can make RE4 anywhere as near good as the GCN version i will have to applaud them, that would be a major feat.

I can imagine the PS2 version with unpolished character models, frame rate problems, etc.

Hopefully the diehard RE fans understand that the PS2 version will be utter cr@p compared to the GCN version, and in turn of what Capcom has done I hope their sales on the PS2 version goes as well as their Viewitiful Joe game on PS2.

One mans Treasure is another mans trash............

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 07:15:52 PM »
This is the end for the cube.  There is nothing left coming that's not made by nintendo, or going somehwere else worth getting. All nintendo has left is Zelda, I was previously against moving it to revolution, but now I'm all for it. Nintendo should concede defeat this time around and start working on the revolution campaign and getting third parties into legally binding agreements from third parties.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 07:18:49 PM »
Nicely said, I hope that's the case. This is Bull Shyte and Capcom know's it. So much for fulfilling promises.

I hope that GC sales will butcher what PS2's horrid version could ever dream of. I wish Mikami would Leave a join Nintendo and take "HIS" Franchise with him.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 07:25:58 PM »
Nintendo probably knows RE4 would not sell systems anyway.

Don't even try to pass that off TYP.  You know damn well this game was gonna sell systems.  I have friends who work in game stores and have people buy cubes soley to play this ONE GAME and reserve this ONE GAME.  With this announcement at this time, the Cube's sales have just been cut by I'm guessing as much as 50-60% if not more.  It's utter bull**** that Capcom is doing this at this time.  They originally announce 5 titles just for Cube, 1 is cancelled, 2 are ported, prog the worst is kept exclusive, and now the last is being ported.  Its no wonder Cube owners and even Nintendo themselves don't trust 3rd parties anymore.  

Capcom needs to come out and explain everything.  This game was under contract to only come out on Cube.  I better see Shinji's head rolling on the ground tomorrow apart from his body. -________________________-  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 07:30:23 PM »
I thought Nintendo made solid deals with these companies, but now there just getting screwed over! They let Namco put TOS on the PS2 in Japan, then they  let Capcom release Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 on the PS2, and now there doing it with one of their biggest upcoming games! Why is Nintendo sitting back and letting these companies break their deals?!
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 07:32:57 PM »

Hopefully the diehard RE fans understand that the PS2 version will be utter cr@p compared to the GCN version, and in turn of what Capcom has done I hope their sales on the PS2 version goes as well as their Viewitiful Joe game on PS2.

Most diehard RE fans already own Cubes for the REmake and Zero

Anyways, I was expecting this. Capcom loves to port Resident Evil.

Should be interesting to see how this pans out. A year is a long time, so I don't think this is as doom and gloom as some of you think.  

Offline 1day

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 07:36:20 PM »
It won't even be a year for the Euro release.

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 07:52:45 PM »

This is the end for the cube. There is nothing left coming that's not made by nintendo, or going somehwere else worth getting. All nintendo has left is Zelda, I was previously against moving it to revolution, but now I'm all for it. Nintendo should concede defeat this time around and start working on the revolution campaign and getting third parties into legally binding
agreements from third parties.

I disagree. Nintendo themselves has been on quite a role this year. They got Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime Echoes, and Mario Tennis all in the space of 4 monthes. Mario Party 6, DK: Jungle Beat, and Star Fox are all set to come out soon in 2005, too.

Granted, none of these big exclusives titles are third party. I'd say that's disapointing, but I wouldn't go as far to say they're doomed. They have a big niche which they've gotten rather good at supporting by themselves. That niche will probably keep them going a LOOOOONG time.

They're a lot like Macintosh in that way. Of course, fanboys want them to be more like Microsoft.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »
ARRRRRRGH!  What the f*ck?!  After all these interviews where everyone was saying "Resident Evil 4 is a Gamecube exclusive!" in response to media speculation they reveal that in fact they were a bunch of liars and that it isn't.  And to announce this before the game is even f*cking released?  Way to competely sabotage the game's sales.  NO ONE is going to buy a Cube for this now.  They've completely killed this momentum Nintendo had been building.  Note that this never happens with big PS2 titles.  They always wait until the title is released.

Why should we ever buy ANYTHING from third parties anymore?  They ALWAYS f*ck us over.  Capcom seemed like they were the lone exception but now they've ruined it too.  I might as well just pirate any third party games.  They never appreciate or reward my support so why should I give them my money?

Who's to blame here?  Is it Capcom or Nintendo?  Maybe they're doing something and we can't tell but it pisses me off how this kind of sh!t has happened all throughout the Cube's life and Nintendo seemingly does NOTHING about it.  All of our exclusives get ported to another console and we miss out on tons of games like GTA that both PS2 and Xbox get.  Yet it seems like Nintendo does nothing about this.  Like they don't care.  Well why should we care then?  The Gamecube is by far the most disappointing console I've ever owned.  It's like 80% of the promises that were made before launch haven't been fulfilled.  How can Nintendo allow stuff like this to happen and expect anyone to buy the Revolution?  What's going to change?  I'm a Nintendo fan and I'm questioning why I should continue to support them next gen.  How are they going to attract those who have already left?

I'm thinking that for a lot of people this is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »

Capcom needs to come out and explain everything. This game was under contract to only come out on Cube. I better see Shinji's head rolling on the ground tomorrow apart from his body. -________________________-

Too true.

Interview

-- RE-make is already released and Resident Evil 0 is coming soon, after that Resident Evil 4. Isn't it Mr. Mikami?
S:
Yes.... but I don't think I can say something about Resident Evil 4 yet, young staffs struggling to make good one, so it is changing everyday. Of course I am checking what is going on, but we really don't know what is going to happen.
The only thing I can tell you now is Resident Evil 4 will definitely release only on GameCube, not on another console, if it happens, I will cut my head off.
T: Yeah, I want to say this point LOUD. Resident Evil series will only release on Nintendo, This is done deal.
-- The users are confused because Resident Evil-network is developing on PS2.
T:
Yes, we are planning to release RE-network on PS2, but I'm talking about Resident Evil with number series, 1, 0 and 4 and another number Resident Evil series. This kind of orthodox Resident Evil is ONLY in Nintendo.
S: I have to apologies to the users who believed me to buy Dream Cast to play Resident Evil CV, I didn't know Capcom put out the "only on DC" thing. When I found out, that was too late.
T: This time, we really mean it.

-- What is the reason to stick with Nintendo?
S:
Compare to PS2, GameCube doesn't have much of market share, but this situation is what we want, we are -the software maker- can take charge to make market. I think if we can get a different kind of users that GameCube already has, is good for both of us.

-- Resident Evil 2, 3 and CV will release on GameCube too.
S:
Those games are NOT remake, totally port. Don't misunderstand that.
T: You will not remake those games?
S: No, I just release those games for the new users on GameCube.
T: Why don't you remake?
S: Personally, I want to remake, but if I do, Resident Evil 4 release date will be delay again.
T: Maybe it is better to just release the port and makes it cheap price.
S: So, I'm not going to add anything. If I add something or change something, die-hard fan will buy it, and I don't want that to happen. "No addition, No change".

Ah well, Capcom already screwed us over with that "make it a cheap price" thing on the ports anyways.

At this point, I honestly believe that Shinji Mikami needs to resign from Capcom, and that Nintendo needs to yank Capcom's GBA licence, their DS licence, and maybe their Revolution licence (if one exists). All of Capcom's in-progress games (including RE4, maybe) need to be canned. Let Capcom beg Nintendo in order to get the games back on track. But Nintendo's not going to do that, because Nintendo's impotent. Capcom's gonna walk all over them, and Nintendo will just say "thank you", because Nintendo needs Capcom onboard with the DS.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2004, 07:57:00 PM »
Capcom always finds a GD loophole.  But I kept hearing that this one game was under contract, what the hell happened to that?  How is it that based on 'alot of voices' they 'decided' to release it multiplatform?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline idgaf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
I'm not a big RE fan, but I do buy a lot of exclusive nintendo games(even RE0, which i thought was pretty bad).  I was going to buy RE4 because nintendo had worked with capcom on it, but now that capcom has done this horrible thing, i'm not gonna buy this game anymore(Not that capcom would care)  This is unacceptable!

Offline Rage2Wrath

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2004, 08:09:37 PM »
This is such bullshit. I can't beleive a company like Capcom would break an agreement with Nintendo over this. Which is why I think they bought out their contract from Nintendo. If I am not mistaken RE4 was the only game on the "Capcom 5" was definatly going to be exclusive. IGN makes it seem there was a contract with Nintendo, so Capcom did 1 of 2 things: just straight-up break the contract with Nintendo and are just waiting to get sued like some dumb-ass, OR they bought their contract out from Nintendo. And I think we all know how much Nintendo loves money. Say what you will about them but they know how to be profitable. Folks....Nintendo has offically sold us out.
Damn Astronazi's playin their cosmo blasters all hours of the night.