Author Topic: Nintendo Shows Off Improved Wii U Loading Times After April Firmware Update   (Read 6534 times)

Offline CurtDogg

• Staff Writer, Twitch Streamer
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile

Gotta go fast!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33649

Nintendo has uploaded a video to Youtube showcasing one instance of the improved load times scheduled to be included in the upcoming Wii U firmware update. The video shows a comparison video of a person closing a game of New Super Mario Bros. U and returning to the main menu. After the update, it seems to take the system 6 to 7 seconds to fully return to the main menu, which is about a third of the time it currently takes, which is about 21 to 22 seconds.

Watch the video below to see for yourself.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Well that certainly won't suck as much
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
still far too slow, but a BIG and very important improvement and step in the right direction.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
About the same as a PS3.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Cool. Now if only they could shorten the LEGO City loading times.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Since I plan to get a Wii U in the next few months (sadly, my financial situation has stopped me from getting one yet), does anyone know if that big day one update will be pre-installed on newer Wii U's?

And hopefully this firmware update will give people one less thing to criticize about the system.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline sactiik

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
A lot of the wiiUs are still from launch day.

Offline sactiik

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
This is also the first of 2 wiiU updates.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Awesome. I've been meaning to turn my Wii U on to update Trine 2 (which I don't know how to do yet). I'll have more of a reason to when this update goes live next month.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
Since I plan to get a Wii U in the next few months (sadly, my financial situation has stopped me from getting one yet), does anyone know if that big day one update will be pre-installed on newer Wii U's?

And hopefully this firmware update will give people one less thing to criticize about the system.
Yep.  Sometime in 1st quarter 2013, new Wii U consoles will start shipping with the latest system software (there have been two additional system software updates since the big one on Nov 18th).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:33:53 AM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Awesome. I've been meaning to turn my Wii U on to update Trine 2 (which I don't know how to do yet).

Really? Click the damn game.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
Awesome. I've been meaning to turn my Wii U on to update Trine 2 (which I don't know how to do yet). I'll have more of a reason to when this update goes live next month.
All games/apps on the Wii U automatically check for updates when the game/app is launched (clicking on the icon).
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
All games/apps on the Wii U automatically check for updates when the game/app is launched (clicking on the icon).

Same thing with Xbox 360 games/apps, that is good to know.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
That's what I thought, but I tried it when I read the update went live in December or January (it's been so long so I don't remember exactly when it was) and Trine 2 didn't update automatically. I haven't checked since then because I've only turned on my Wii U like 3 or 4 times mainly just to check for Miiverse friend requests so I'm thinking now that the update wasn't available at that moment.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Also, I have seen a noticeable jump in the speed of my 3DS since that system was updated recently. In puzzle swap for instance, any time I would swap coins for puzzle pieces the frame rate would inexplicably drop, the animations slowed down to a crawl and it sometimes took 30 seconds or more for the images of the puzzles to load in. In the last day or two, however, it's been super fast. Opening and closing applications and folders also seems to be quicker.
Gouge away.

Offline Aero Leviathan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Also, I have seen a noticeable jump in the speed of my 3DS since that system was updated recently. [...] Opening and closing applications and folders also seems to be quicker.

But what about Safari, is it snappier?

Sorry, wrong web site...

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
I wonder if this update will also address the overscan issue...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I was able to update things last night (didn't bother putting Nintendo Land or ZombiU in since it was 3am). This did remind me how slow the Wii U is when switching applications so I'm anticipating the upcoming update. I hope down the line Nintendo can get it down to two to three seconds. This is still a major upgrade though I'm curious why they didn't strive for this to begin with.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
still far too slow, but a BIG and very important improvement and step in the right direction.

If six seconds is too slow for you, you would've never survived the Sega CD era.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
I wonder if this update will also address the overscan issue...

There is no overscan issue. Your TV sucks.

EDIT: Also, I timed this video with my own PS3, and the Wii U is actually faster in this case. My PS3 got TO the menu first, but then it took a few to actually load the rest of the menu, like the games.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:58:49 PM by Oblivion »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile

If six seconds is too slow for you, you would've never survived the Sega CD era.
Your right.  I did not.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

I didn't have to, but I would think the menu should come up almost instantly, just like when the Home menu pops up immediately at the press of a button.
The program you are currently in should close in the background while you chose your next activity.
Seemless experience is what should be aimed for, so I hope Nintendo keeps working to trim the time down some more.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
I just checked.

It took more time for my XBox360 to quit from the middle of a game to the menu than in the video.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
If what they say about Playstation 4 and Durango is true, those systems will have so much raw power that they will load something before you've even thought to open it.

*I suggest we hijack this thread and turn it in to a '[insert ridiculous claim here]' list. Each one of you must begin your sentence with

'If what they say about Playstation 4 and Durango is true, those systems will...'

and you then insert your preposterous claims for how all the ills of the current generation of consoles will be miraculously solved when Sony and Microsoft's next consoles are released.

Gouge away.