Author Topic: Super Mario 3D World Thread.  (Read 35159 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D World
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »
But I finally got all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy last month and I agree that 3D Land is far superior. The more I keep seeing people praise that game, the more and more I keep getting the urge to unleash a massive wall of text pointing out the amount of flaws, derisiveness and sparseness
If you do this, then unfortunately, I'll be forced to do the same thing about Super Mario 3D Land!

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 04:03:01 AM »
Developer Direct

Yep, it's going to be amazing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »
3D Land was an exceptional game, and remains the best game on the 3DS. I'm just not so sure that a game of that type makes senes on Wii U. Personally, I would have preferred 3D World to be on 3DS, and for a larger scale successor to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy to be released on Wii U.
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
I would have preferred the game being on 3DS since that would mean it'd be built as a single-player game and the stages would be smaller. It looks like playing the game single-player (how I'll likely be playing this game 90% of the time) will be a lot easier than in 3D Land since the stages were built to support four players.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
But I finally got all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy last month and I agree that 3D Land is far superior. The more I keep seeing people praise that game, the more and more I keep getting the urge to unleash a massive wall of text pointing out the amount of flaws, derisiveness and sparseness
If you do this, then unfortunately, I'll be forced to do the same thing about Super Mario 3D Land!

I'm not enraptured with 3D Land so go for it. This just adds another incentive for me to do this. Unfortunately, it might require me to actually play the game one more time for me to make notes and that is the biggest hurdle I can't get over yet.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:58:37 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
It does seem like this game was once going to be for the 3DS. So I wonder if another Mario is actually in development. Not that this will be a throw away title, because every 3D Mario has been fantastic, I just wonder if something more in the line of Galaxy/Sunshine is being worked on.

I just hope the terrain gets as complex as ever with this game and the graphics get a little better by release.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »
Might as well put this here:
According to Ars Technica via a Nintendo rep, no Nunchuk support was planned. What the whuck? The Pro Controller better be supported. A 3D platformer without an analog stick is the worst.

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
When I first saw this "live" on the stream, the stream was at 240p and constantly buffering. I am not trolling when I say I thought it was a 3DS sequel.

The clear pipes are an interesting idea and I can see some fun sections coming from that. But simultaneous four player multi player is meaningless to me and my lifestyle and social circle. Nintendo nailed the "girlfriend mode" 2P with Galaxy 2, though.

I was (again) replaying M64 this past weekend. I don't think Nintendo can top the level creativity of that game. Layering in a new play mechanic like the dumb cat suit is not the same as a brilliant level concept. At this point I'd have much rather seen an HD remake of Mario 64 with the camera and movement of Galaxies.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
I was (again) replaying M64 this past weekend. I don't think Nintendo can top the level creativity of that game. Layering in a new play mechanic like the dumb cat suit is not the same as a brilliant level concept.

I don't know, that comparison seems a little unfair. No Mario game can ever possibly be as innovative as 64 was, because no game will ever again be in a position to make the transition to 3D. That's not to take away from the creativity of 64, it truely is one of the most important games ever made, but to expect anything like that again is to welcome disappointment.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:16:45 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
Something was bugging me about this and I only now just realized what it was as people mentioned multiplayer.  I see Mario as largely a single player game. NSMB Wii's multiplayer mode was never much a selling point to me.  I liked it because it was a well made platformer.  In fact I HATED playing it with other people as they would often get me killed.

Well now multiplayer is coming to 3D Mario.  Nintendo probably considers that a big selling point and that is something that makes this unique over Super Mario 3D Land.  But I don't care about it so I pretty much forget that it is there.  Take away one of the bullet points and the game seems less fresh.  It doesn't help that multiplayer Mario in general has been done so much now that this doesn't seem like a new idea.  It sort of is in this context but four player Mario is like an annual thing from Nintendo now.

One problem is that four player support will limit stage design.  It has to because you have to accomodate the possibiliy of four players at all times.  With single player you only need one character to "fit" within the game world allowing for much more flexibility.  The Super Mario Galaxy games have some areas that force a side perspective and I always found those to be much more creative and interesting than any level in the NSMB games.  But part of that is because those Galaxy levels are single player and thus are much more free to experiment.  They don't have to have somewhere for four people to stand at all times.

Perhaps the reason Nintendo went with this instead of the more full 3D approach of other 3D Mario games is because this accomodates multiplayer and those could not.  Not only is it a function I just don't care about but it is one that will have an effect on the design decisions of the game itself.  Super Mario Sunshine would be impossible to make work in multiplayer unless it was online or split-screen.  If Nintendo wants Mario to be a multiplayer franchise we will not get something like Sunshine or 64 again.  They have to make a game with a fixed camera angle to accomodate multiplayer.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
That is an excellent observation, Ian Sane. I believe Nintendo is paying attention to the market data of the video game industry as a whole and taking from it that gamers are into "social gaming" now. A lot of my friends are heavily into Xbox Live and playing co-op. The majority of AAA titles are built around co-op. A basic application of this is to turn all the Nintendo franchises into social co-op experiences. As much as I don't care for it, the parents I know all praise the arrival of this quality and LOVE the new Mario and Donkey Kong games.

What eludes me is how Nintendo seemingly can't see that this type of gaming is preferred across the internet and doesn't limit the experience to a single camera viewpoint for all players. I wouldn't mind having multiplayer Super Mario in the way that New Super Mario Bros DS did it, but what we got with New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the sort of experience I can really only take for up to an hour with friends. At some point, killing your friends goes from a game-centric desire to one of a domestic violence flavor. :D

I believe you've captured the kind of concern that really should matter to the core audience. How is this kind of "casual" approach impacting the products that are really meant for us?

I think a better question may be: in what form are we going to see this in the next Zelda game?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
Yeah, this is a bit depressing. Was really hoping they'd shift gears again and make turbo Sunshine.

I wish I could speak to the God of video games and explain to him that I don't give a **** about co-op in anything, so please make it go away.
you don't have to use it, why do you care

Its much more fun if it isn't cooperative and its just being jerks to eachother and maybe reaching the goal

I hope there is alot more for exploration here,

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
Developing a game for co-op affects how it's designed.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
Developing a game for co-op affects how it's designed.
Depends. mario u is very enjoyable single player

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D World Thread.
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 10:16:03 PM »
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

First you say you actually like 3D Land, and now you're legitimately excited for this title? This is trash! This is terrible! This is 8-way control! This is boring, uncharacteristic level design! This is powerup of the week!

AGHHHHH! Why do people actually like this direction of Mario?! If I wanted a linear platformer I'd play NEW SUPER MARIO BROS, not this. 3D Land was by far the weakest 3D Mario, so it baffles me that anyone would be excited for all those flaws and faults in shiny, HD, multiplayer action.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
Played the demo today of world 6-3 with a friend. Liked it a whole bunch. Felt a little short. We took a little time to explore towards the end, which was great. We discovered jumping on eachother's heads can give you a good boost. Luigi even did kind of a spin jump.

Luigi felt pretty different from what I expected. Character differences seem like they'll be kinda big.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »

First you say you actually like 3D Land, and now you're legitimately excited for this title? This is trash! This is terrible! This is 8-way control! This is boring, uncharacteristic level design! This is powerup of the week!

AGHHHHH! Why do people actually like this direction of Mario?! If I wanted a linear platformer I'd play NEW SUPER MARIO BROS, not this. 3D Land was by far the weakest 3D Mario, so it baffles me that anyone would be excited for all those flaws and faults in shiny, HD, multiplayer action.

I'm not sure it would be possible for me to disagree with a post more than I do right now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »
I'm not sure it's possible to think the "3D" series is good.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »
Well I would think the existence of this thread, as well as the others regarding the game here, and the reviews the 3DS game got, would pretty conclusively prove that that is indeed possible.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
I'm genuinely confused, though. I mean, did people not have the the god-awful experience with 3D Land I did? I felt the flaws were just so obvious. Terrible control scheme, awful camera, over-reliance on Tanooki suit, boring level design that didn't look pretty or unique at all, awful difficulty curve, mediocre music, even for a Mario game... it was just all-around bad. But apparently other people don't think so, and that is what confuses me. I was hoping the devs would get the message and drop that linear bullshit, but I guess not...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »
drop that linear bullshit

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE WHY DON'T YOU HATE WITH ME? HATE HATE

Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »
Like I said, if I wanted to play a linear Mario game, I'd play a 2D Mario. Not a Mario that's supposed to focus on exploration.

I said I was surprised people liked it, and I do hate it. But you're blowing it out of proportion. Stop.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 12:27:40 AM »
He's blowing it out of proportion?
You're implying that there's something wrong with people for liking something you don't like. What the whuck?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
I've yet to have one person legitimately attempt to discuss the numerous flaws I've found in 3D Land, and I posted a whole lot in the "top 10 3DS games" topic pretty religiously about it. Many people said "I have no idea what you're talking about" rather than address the lack of creativity in visual aesthetic and cohesiveness, in addition to the sloppy controls. I'm convinced the entirety of NWR is trying to troll me rather than seriously acknowledge the viewpoint of an avid Nintendo- and Mario- fan. 3D Land is possibly just as uninspired and bland as many of you claim New Super Mario Bros. 2 to be, except NSMB2 has a sense of unification.

I said that out of exasperation, though maybe I should have realized that perhaps the joke was lost on people since the last time I posted here was... well, to argue about 3D Land in the top 3DS picks. I post on here so infrequently because of the whole "the same ****, different day" vibe of the forum- my opinions mean nothing because a lot of people thought 3D Land was "neat", every game I like everyone else hates, and watching Ian Sane and Broodwars bash Nintendo. Makes me question my tastes, man...