Author Topic: HBO Now thoughts?  (Read 3665 times)

HBO Now thoughts?
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:11:14 AM »
I am just wondering if anyone is interested in this new service? I am fairly certain this won't be on Wii U at this point but if it is on PS3 or PS4 then I might consider it.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: HBO Now thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
Only worth it once the unholy alliance ends. Even then it should be $8/month like Netflix - this venture will likely lead to Netflix raising their prices.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
I already have access to HBO Go, but if I didn't I probably wouldn't get this. I'm not in a hurry to watch any of the current stuff, so I'd just wait until they show up on Amazon Prime.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
That's like a 3 year wait though. I have HBO Go access to - waiting until the next day isn't that big of a deal. The only thing I watch on HBO is Game of Thrones and Real Time anyway.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
I've got such a backlog of things I want to watch that I've got plenty of things to fill that span.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:39:28 AM »
Netflix isn't $8 a month anymore they already did raise their price, just existing customers were locked in till the end of this year. I have Cable but not HBO so I was considering this over HBO Go, what are the differences? The only reasons I don't have HBO with the cable is I do not control the cable nor do I pay that bill so I am limited. But it isn't the end of the world and I only just learned about the Apple deal recently so that sort of changes things.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:43:55 AM »
Ok, Netflix for 1 user (SD) is $8/mo, 2 users (HD) is $9/mo. My bad. Anyway, HBO Now is $15 and has less (though typically very good) content.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
I'd have to look at my cable bill to see how much they're gouging me for HBO before I considered switching.

It's a novel idea, but probably not for me at this point since HBO Go is a thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
USA only, so no use to me at all.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:37:35 AM »
Have HBO go already, still don't watch any of the shows.  I've heard good things about Game of Thrones, I'm curious about Sopranos, and i've liked the few episodes i've seen of Last Week Tonight, but I haven't made the effort to make them prioritized viewing.  I like Real Time, but find it better to listen on a podcast, not enough visuals to warrant me not instead listening to it while running errands or cleaning.

we're getting to a point with streaming services that I was concerned about….each content provider wanting their own service for you to pay a monthly fee over.  This is good for those who don't have a cable at all & want access to HBO programming, but wouldn't it make more sense for someone who has a cable subscription to just add the premium channel to their package?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 01:31:16 AM »
You need to stop everything you're doing right now and go watch the entirety of The Wire.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 09:23:47 AM »
You need to stop everything you're doing right now and go watch the entirety of The Wire.

I've heard good things about the wire as well.  I just need to dedicate some time to start one and commit to it.  Other challenge is that wife & I usually watch TV together, and it's a slow start getting her to start a new show, especially if it's a drama/depressing type show.  The little I know about the Wire makes me think it fits that category, so it may be a show I watch when she's busy or gone for a while.