Author Topic: What are your 10 favorite songs from the 90's?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
What are your 10 favorite songs from the 90's?
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »
This should be interesting. When you think 90's, what are the songs that come to your mind? They can be songs that just trigger a special memory, that you still listen to today, that you can't stand today, or that you just feel were a big influence. They can be cheesy, they can be dated, they can be obscure, they can be popular, or they can be pop masterpieces. It don't matter. Let's just get a cross-section of different musical tastes happening and see what develops.

I'll post mine in a moment but I think I'll see if I can't find some YouTube links first so that I can post them altogether if anyone wants to take a trip back in time and re-listen to some stuff.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Re: What are your 10 favorite songs from the 90's?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »
damn you man I gotta get to work or else I would do this right now.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:57:34 PM »
following, will post some more later
but for now: three came to mind right away
1. Bust A Move - Young MC
2. Buffalo Stance (Neneh Cherry) - internet tells me this is actually from 88 or 89 but it reminds me of the 90s, so whatever
3. The Sign - Ace of Base
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »
What is Love? - Haddaway

Takin' Care of Business - BTO

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
I've been thinking about this, and I honestly can't come up with anything. The vast majority of the music I really care about came from before or after that decade.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:26 AM »
I am just going to be totally honest here see how it goes.

My 10 favorite songs from the 90's also happen to be near the top of my favorites of all time list.

I will not rank these in any particular order just list them for your consideration.

Cardigans- "Love Fool"
Chumbawumba- "Tubthumping" (the song that prompted this discussion ;) )
Smash Mouth- "Walking on the Sun"
Britney Spears- "Baby, One More Time"
Deep Blue Something- "Breakfast at Tiffany's"
Garbage- "I Think I'm Paranoid"
The Proclaimers- "I Gonna Be 500 Miles"
Dead Eye Dick- "New Age Girl"
Beck- "New Pollution"
Marylin Manson- "The Beautiful People"

That should get the topic going more.

Haddaway- "What is Love" is one of my all time favorite songs but its more a dance song to me when I remember the 90's I tend to put the dance music into a separate category so for good measure my 10 favorite 90's dance songs too.

Haddaway- "What is Love"
Ace of Base- "My Mind"
C+C Music Factory- "Gonna Make You Sweat"
Tha Immortals- "Techno Syndrome- Mortal Kombat Theme"
Marky Mark- "Good Vibrations"
La Bouche- "Be My Lover"
Gina G- "ooh ah, Just a Little Bit"
Los Del Rio- "Macarena- Bay Side Boys Mix"
Rednex- "Cotton Eyed Joe"
2Unlimited- ~everything just pick one they are all the same~

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
ShyGuy has touched on one from my list.

What is Love - Haddoway

If you don't know this one, well, here's a link to it. You need to do some musical catching up. Totally iconic thanks to SNL and it is still a go to number to get people on the dance floor. I threw a dance party and as soon as this start playing, people flooded to the dance floor. People seem to have a real fondness for it.

U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer

This was big. Did you know M.C. Hammer even had a cartoon show? I actually watched it as a kid. Did you know he defeated paint monsters on it by singing U Can't Touch This? I did. You can see a copy of that amazing footage clicking here. Skip to the 0:50 mark if you want to save time. If you still want to see the original music video, than click here. What further makes this song so great is that Hammer wrote it at a time when he was on top and then he lost so much of what he made so the song has become comedic considering what happened after he released it.

Broken Bones - Love Inc.

This song amazed me when I was young. I'd never heard anything like it. I'd say it was my introduction to house music. Even now, over a decade later, it still holds up very well and whenever I get nostalgic for the 90's, this is one of my go to songs. Listen to it by clicking here. If you want to see the music video for it, you can check it out clicking here. I just find the audio quality to be a bit less compared to the other link.

Drinking in L.A. - Bran Van 3000

This is another song that I found very amazing at the time. The way the song incorporates all kinds of other audio clips and just a real mixture of all kinds of different elements but it blended so well and smooth. Whenever I listen to it, it brings back all kinds of memories. Here's the pointless music video but I suggest listening to the higher quality version of it here. Give 'em a ring-ding-ding!

Men in Black - Will Smith

This has to be one of the all-time best movie themes. Right up there with Staying Alive. Will Smith was at his height with this. Smooth and danceable still. Back in the day, I learned the MIB Dance. I still like to bust a move with this. Here's the music video with Will Smith exuding his brand of cool. Just bounce it with me, just bounce with me, just bounce it with me.

Spice Up Your Life - Spice Girls

A 90's top ten and no Spice Girls? Not on my list. I could fill up the rest of this list with Spice Girl songs but I'll limit it to one. I actually always liked some of their slower, more ballad like songs but I'll go with my favorite high energy one of theirs, Spice Up Your Life. I listened to this probably as much as any other. If I can only choose one, then it is today's winner. Here's the classic music video of them bringing their girl power to a dystopian future that they may already rule based on all the Spice Girl signs in it.

Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai

This was the song that introduced me to Jamiroquai, a favorite band / artist of mine. While I preferred Canned Heat when it came out later, I listened to this song way more. I'd even recorded the music video with my VCR so that I could play it over and over again later. I was a master of 90's technology. Here's the famous video where everything in the room seems to move but the floor. I remember it well. (And Canned Heat later got the mainstream success I always thought it deserved thanks to Napoleon Dynamite so I actually think of it more as a double-0 decade song. Still, happy endings all around.)

Everybody Everybody - Black Box

Really, this represents the whole Black Box album of Dreamland on here. Honorable mention goes to these other songs on it: I Don't Know Anybody Else, Fantasy (which seemed to be close to a Super Adventure Island song), Ride on Time, Ghost Box and Strike it Up. My parents had bought this but my brother and I liked it. I actually think it has great appeal to kids because there's a lot you could laugh at with some of the funny sounds from the vocals. For whatever reason, my parents become big country music fans around 1992 and so that was the main type of music that was played in the house. (It had its benefits. I can now often run a category about country music on Jeopardy with no problem despite not listening to it for a good decade.) Thankfully, I always had this cassette of Black Box I could play to remind me that there was a whole other world of music out there besides country. Everybody Everybody was the first track on it so I'll give it the nod. Here's the music video in which the actual singer Martha Wash is never shown and in her place is an Italian model lip-synching. Hooray advertising!

WonderWall - Oasis

It was only about 3 years ago that I ever got around to listening to the actual album which featured this song. A classmate played the song at school one day and I liked it from the first time I heard. I've never really cared much for any of Oasis other works but this song has always stayed with me and resonated with me. It was one of the first time I heard a song just as it was starting to become big and be played on the radio constantly and it felt cool to have been ahead of the curve as it were. Still holds up today. Here's the music video if you're feeling nostaligic.

Kissed by a Rose - Seal

One of the few songs my whole family could agree on. It wasn't until years later that I saw the music video that I even realized it was a song for Batman Forever. I never made that connection when I was a kid. I just thought it was an awesome song. I always listened to it every chance I'd get. Even now, all these years later, there's just something different about this song that seems to make it stand out to me. Hauntingly beautiful. Here's the music video that makes Batman Forever look like it could be a cinematic masterpiece.

Wow, I'm already at the tenth spot. Maybe I should have made this 15 or 20. There's so many other songs I could probably list. It's interesting how many 90's songs and albums I've later discovered way after the 90's. For the first half of the decade, I didn't really pay much attention to music but by the middle of the decade I was starting to become more and more aware of it. By the end of the decade, I was watching music videos and listening to the radio and knew what was being released at that time. The truth is, the 1999 Billboard hot 100 is a major list of most 90's songs I knew by the end of the decade. The early 2000's is when I was up to date with everything being released and discovering Pink Floyd or Pet Shop Boys and other musical influences that have stayed with me. However, it's hard to call songs of 1999 major songs of the decade for me with it basically wrapping up at that time so I've stuck with the ones that take me back further than that point. In the end, I've decided to conclude with this one:

Amish Paradise - Weird Al

I've maybe heard the actual song Gangsta's Paradise all the way through maybe 2 times. However, I can recite all the lyrics to Amish Paradise. It's what introduced me to Weird Al and has always served as a reminder that even though songs can be powerful and emotional and serious, there's also something really wonderful about them when they are just fun and silly too. It was another friend who introduced me to this song when I was visiting him and every time I went over, we would play this song and album at least once. I've been following Weird Al for 20 years since. Here's the hilarious video and song.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
I echo the above posters. My hazy memory of the 90s is: dance music, boy bands, and celine dion.

Edit: oops, didn't mean to steal Khush's thunder, but it reiterates what I was already thinking. A lot of those songs are joke-y songs, literally, in the case of Weird Al. Does anyone remember Barbie World?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:45:51 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
I was close to mentioning these:

Smash Mouth- "Walking on the Sun"
Britney Spears- "Baby, One More Time"

Although I'd have probably gone with All-Star over Walking on the Sun with Smash Mouth. My all-time favorite Smash Mouth song though came in the double-0 decade. Pacific Coast Party. That is how I like to remember them.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
I echo the above posters. My hazy memory of the 90s is: dance music, boy bands, and celine dion.

Lucky you. I've got a lot of country music in that mix thanks to my parents. There was some Mariah Carey in that as well. I did like Honey though. That's still my favorite song of hers.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »

Lucky you. I've got a lot of country music in that mix thanks to my parents. There was some Mariah Carey in that as well. I did like Honey though. That's still my favorite song of hers.

omg, I was just about to say Achy Breaky Heart.

Pink Floyd (minus Waters) put out the Division Bell in 94, which is quite good. I didn't listen to it until much later however.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:48:24 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

omg, I was just about to say Achy Breaky Heart.

Pink Floyd (minus Waters) put out the Division Bell in 94, which is quite good. I didn't listen to it until much later however.

Same. Division Bell has some great stuff and is my second favorite Floyd Album after Dark Side of the Moon.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »
I thought of one: "Under The Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm not much of a fan of the band in general, but I've always really liked that one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Does anyone remember Barbie World?

If I had done a list of 20, Barbie Girl by Aqua would be on it. It's still popular today. Not like the Macerana which no one wants to ever hear again. It's like Who Let the Dogs Out? How did that ever become big. It's alright the first two times the Baja Men yell the title out but then after that and lyrics, you just want it over with.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
I intentionally left of the Spice Girls because as much as I did enjoy their music they were late in the decade and I just think I listen to other music more. I also left of Maria Carey because she transcends the decade, whereas most of the stuff I listed defines the 90's.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »
The 90's was the last decade where I was very familiar with the current music at the time and that makes sense because that was the decade I graduated high school.  At the time I would have said songs like Live's Lightning Crashes and Collective Soul's December were deep meaningful songs... because I was a teenager and teenagers are huge idiots with horrible taste.  Those are still catchy songs but they're embarrassingly pretentious.  Though I find I don't listen to 90's music as much these days, not because I don't like it, but simply that because those were my teen years I wore those songs out listening to the same CDs every day.

I'm not going to rank them but I'll just try to think of 10 90's songs that really do it for me today.

R.E.M. - Drive
U2 - The Fly
Alice in Chains - Would?
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Oasis - Supersonic
Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want
Pearl Jam - I Got ****
Blue Rodeo - Lost Together
Tom Cochrane - Sinking Like a Sunset
The Cure - Friday I'm in Love

I figured I would not repeat artists but once I started thinking about this I realized that with some of these artists I could grab a lot of stuff.  These ten are all dynamite.  At least today.  If I did this tomorrow it could be a different list.  Hey, like a good Canadian boy I even threw some Canadian content on there.