Author Topic: Who here actually reads books?  (Read 4210 times)

Who here actually reads books?
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:07:26 PM »
Are you into classic books or ebooks? I have never read a digital book, never even bought one but my book shelf is over flowing and I have run out of room to buy new books so I am wondering if any old timers have made the switch what are your thoughts is it an easy transition like going from tape to CD then Mp3 or is it more like the painful mess of going from DVD to everything digital that sucks because its not DVD?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Who here actually reads books?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
I read paper books

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I've mostly switched to eBooks, which shouldn't be a surprise since I've gone digital-only in just about every other medium as well. I use Amazon's Kindle service, though I usually read on my iPad through their app. I really like having everything there, and Amazon's done a good job of getting most publishers onboard.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
is it like iTunes you pay for each title or is it like Netflix you subscribe to a revolving catalog? How much do ebooks usually go for, I buy my paper books used at thrift stores mostly don't pay more than  fifty cents to a buck each.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
You pay per book, but if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber there's a "library" of titles you can read for no extra charge. Books tend to be about $10, though there's a bunch of stuff that's less than that, usually more obscure things or things on sale.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
I do.
after video games and movies their my fav pastime.
Made you look ****.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:38 PM »
Paper books myself. Just finished Emma by Jane Austen and i'm going to my local book store to pick up some more prose to break up the comics/TV/movies diet.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »
Fav books,
The Inheritence seris
Skulduggery Pleasant
and Magician by Raymond.E.Feist
Made you look ****.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »
I love e-books on my phone because they ae fully customizable. By that I mean I can make the print as large as I want and the brightness as bright or dim as I want. My eyes often suck so the adjustments are just the best. Now I can read anywhere, anytime. And you always have a book with you to read, so long as you got your phone.
I have yet to actually buy an e-book. I use the Library's offerings. Tons of great stuff. But they don't have everything I want so I am pretty close to purchasing. I also still read print books but I am preferring e-books more and more. I also really like audiobooks. I download those from the Library too.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 02:08:26 AM »
I love all formats of books. I especially like listening to an audiobook as I drift to sleep. My only wish is if it knew when I actually started sleeping. Like if I wore a wristband that tracks your heart rate or something for a week, then you connect to your computer and as soon as you are asleep it takes note of the time in your audiobook and then slowly fades into silence. It would save me time from trying to find my exact spot the next day. Even a few minutes away would be better than having to search through a chapter (or the whole book if unabridged).

I have a Kindle as well and it's magnificent. It's the first model and I haven't read up on any of the new ones, but what I would like the most is it being responsive to touch; not just for navigation, but for looking up definitions on the fly. I would also like it to be linked to an audiobook if possible, so I could switch back and forth without skipping a beat.

My favorite of all time though is as actual book. It's easier to hold and to read and to anticipate when you might finish it. But best of all, I can hand it off to a friend or relative or even donate it when I'm done. And that's quite possibly the best thing about a book.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »
I just picked the cheapest model of the B&W kindle on thursday and i'm enjoying it so far. I'm about halfway through Heir to Jedi already.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
At this point, we have had a real problem with space in our home.   My wife has a pretty massive book collection, so for new titles, I go digital for most book, video game and movie purchases for myself.  I like to listen to podcasts or books while I go running, so I sometime purchase books through audible as well.

I never really purchase paper books anymore unless I want to get a very nice, illustrated version of a book I love or unless it is a very old printing of a classic book.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »
I read paper books

Are you still writing, ShyGuy?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »
I am. Finding an outlet to publish is the challenge.