Author Topic: Good tablets out there that can replace a laptop?  (Read 1288 times)

Good tablets out there that can replace a laptop?
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »
Last time I shopped for tablets it was a disappointing sea of toys pretending to be real computers. That has been a couple of years so I am curious who here has a tablet or know of one that can truly replace a general purpose laptop?

Here is what I do and what I would want in a tablet.

I need MS office, not the fake Office the real deal, I use it for work, school, and everything else.

I need it to be capable of playing Netflix and Youtube but those are pretty much a given at this point.

Pandora and Spotify would also be nice but not mandatory.

iTunes is sort of essential though since I use it for my iPod, does that limit me to iPad or are there Windows Tablets that can run a version of iTunes? Specifically ripping CD's to my library, managing my library and burning CD's, I have an external Blu Ray burner that I can use IF said tablet supports such a device via USB. Otherwise are there Tablets that have CD Roms in them?

I run the following emulators, I would need these working
Arcade (mame, neo geo, Daphne, and Naomi)
Sega (SMS, GG, Genesis, 32X, CD, Saturn and Dreamcast)
Nintendo (NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GameCube, GBA, DS and Wii)
Atari (8 Bit, ST, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jag, Jag CD, Lynx)
Commodore (VIC-20, PET, 64, 128, Amiga)
3DO (that is asking a lot I know)
DOS (using Dos Box at the moment could use something different)
Turbo Grafix-16, Turbo CD, and SGX
Apple (II and III family mostly using MESS)

video editing- I use Vegas Professional but I could migrate to something different, we use Edius at work so something like that or any of the Adobe ones would work something of that caliber not a toy like movie maker

audio editing- same situation I use Acid mostly but I can use something similar

general web surfing

Photoshop or something comparable.

So is there hope I can find a tablet that can meet those needs or should I just stick to getting a new Laptop instead?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Good tablets out there that can replace a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »
I'm going to say stick with a PC, I don't think Tablets are good for hardcore PC type uses and I'm posting this from a Galaxy Note 8.0

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Good tablets out there that can replace a laptop?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
Surface Pro 3. There are other comptetitor now, but that is the benchmark for a laptop-replacement tablet.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA