Author Topic: Nintendo systems old and new  (Read 18104 times)

Nintendo systems old and new
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
What got you into Nintendo gaming, what are your best/worst Nintendo moments, memories, and favorite, least favorite games?

I am genuinely curios because lately it seems like most Nintendo fans are just fans of the company and have either forgotten what they used to like or what got them into Nintendo in the first place. I am guilty of this, the Wii had so much potential and then I lost interest because it wasn't more like the Game Cube and then Wii U has me kind of not caring at all. I should be hyped I stood in line in the cold winter to get a Wii, I got a paper route and saved all my money to get an N64 and I sold my drum set that I had been dreaming of starting a rock band to get an SNES so once upon a time I would bend over backwards to buy the latest Nintendo console.

I will share mine first and others feel free to chime in or ignore it if you want. What got me into Nintendo gaming was Donkey Kong. I played it in the arcade, and on the VCS. I also loved Popeye and Mario Bros, similar gameplay. I got an NES one special Christmas and was hooked, I loved every minute of it, the dark times, the endless glitches and blinking aside I couldn't wait to get home from school to play some more Super Mario, Duck Tales, or Mega Man. I rented more games than I owned back then. I got a Sega Genesis for my 12th birthday and like most people it just made me hungry for more Nintendo. I kept it for a while but once I got into Super Mario World, Mario RPG, DKC, that was it, Sonic was dead to me.

I got an N64 day one, loved it played it to death, got all the big titles, Turok, Mario 64, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Banjo, MK4, MKT, DK64, Kirby, and many others. I traded in my aging Genesis and a used Saturn I grew tired of never finding affordable games for and picked up a Game Cube with the Zelda Collector's disk bundled in and took it home plugged it in and instantly reminded how awesome Nintendo was. I loved the Game Cube, it has the first and only decent 3D Sonic game released, it had a pretty good Pac-Man world with a Vs. bonus disk, it had a unique and interesting Final Fantasy that didn't rely on emo tranny saving the world with big sword. I stood in line to get a Wii because the idea of motion controls sounded super exciting, Wii Sports was pretty good, there was Wii Play which held my interest for about a week and then motion controls became unappealing. I tried to love the Wii but somehow I lost interest. Looking back even the few Wii games I might be interested in is not enough to sell me on Wii U, as tempting as Mario 3D world and DKC TP are, I just sort of lost interest.

At first I thought I lost interest in gaming entirely until I picked up a PS3 early last year and remembered what I was missing out on. I also had a PS1 and a PS2 during their heyday so I was covered but when Wii came out I just couldn't afford the behemoth PS3 so I went all in and I think that was what soured me to Nintendo, it was the first console they made that I really felt lacked all the games I wanted. Wii U is even more lacking and as hard as I try I can't get excited for it, I should Mario 3D World and DKC look amazing, but thats not enough. But why is that when Mario 64 was enough to shell out $250+ of my hard earned paper route money? That is why I think the Wii U biggest problem is price, for the first time ever Nintendo priced their console out of the target market that usually buys their machines.

Right now even a used Wii U costs more than every single previous Nintendo console did at launch and that is including the useless Basic models that are also way over priced. It isn't just the Wii U, I struggled to pay $129 for a DS but the 3DS is too far out of my reach to care and even the cheaper 2DS as appealing as that is, is still too much for a hand held, especially ones that traditionally launch at that price and go down quickly. I would grab a 3DS in a heartbeat at $129 or lower but I can't find anything even used at that price. I won't get a Wii U until it gets down to below $250 where it should have launched and by then it needs some games too. Look at Playstation, their first was $300, their second also same price, their third double that, which one had trouble selling, and it wasn't all due to games PS3 had the games all along. PS4 is only $100 dollars more expensive and with bundles it's priced right where it should be, that is why I think Nintendo needs to drop the price ASAP. I especially think a $50 price drop days before Mario Kart 8 would be a miracle for Nintendo and might save their asses.

As far as hand helds go, this is console discussion but I will throw this out there, had a Game Boy Pocket and then a GBA, and then a DS all within a year or two of release. I would have gotten a regular game boy sooner but I was young and no money then and my parents gave me Tigers and said that was good enough.

Anyways my best Nintendo moment ever was playing Super Mario 64 for the first time, magical never forget that moment. I still go back and replay that game and as old as it is and as lame as this sounds just that game in full HD with proper graphics upgrades I would buy Wii U tomorrow.

My worst Nintendo moment was playing Wario World, probably the worst game they ever had anything to do with. I liked the Wii at first and I think if I got another one I might give it a second chance but I am torn, get a cheap Wii for next to nothing or get a Wii U and play Wii games on it?

So what are your memories and if you aren't sold yet on Wii u, or even 3DS what are your reasons and what would be the tipping point for you? Me dropping the price would get me closer, but honestly it needs more games, Hyrule Warriors has my interest and Mario Kart 8 could be a good game but other than that I think all I am interested in is Mario 3D World, DKC TP, and maybe New Super Mario/Luigi U but even that is not much. I thought I was interested in that Sonic game but I lost interest after watching videos of it on Youtube, even still that is just barely one more game.

Of course all this would be settled if the virtual console was worth a damn because that held me over on Wii for a while but even that is not enough I have Steam and PSN for indie games already.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo systems old and new
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
When I was a kid I pretty much wanted an NES because I wanted a videogame system and "playing Nintendo" was what you did.  In the end it took so long to save up for one my brothers and I got a SNES instead.  The decision to get a SNES was mostly Street Fighter II's initial exclusivity, Super Mario World and the fact that most people owned a Super Nintendo and when you're a kid you follow the crowd.  It wasn't really Nintendo's strengths that brought me to the dance in the first place.

But when the third parties went to the PS1 you had to make a choice.  Nintendo's games on the SNES were the most consistently good so I stuck with Nintendo.  They also had Rare who had really impressed me with the DKC games.  And while the N64's third party problems were major, Nintendo's own games were often so good to make up for it.  Yeah you waited months for a half-decent game to come out but when it did it was one of the best games every made!  I became a Nintendo fan because they were innovative and committed to quality.  When they made a game it was damn good and also groundbreaking.  If you went with Nintendo you go to be on the cutting edge of game design.  On the N64 in particular Nintendo was leading the industry into 3D, even if they had missed the boat on optical discs.

And this is really my beef with present day Nintendo.  On the N64 you had **** third party support but the first party games were cutting edge masterpieces.  As the generations have gone by we're now at this point on the Wii U: the third party support is **** and the first party games are retro 2D platformers on hardware that's a generation behind.  See the difference?  See why I would put up with bad third party support in one scenario and consider it unacceptable in another?  This is a big part of why I'm turned off by Nintendo going with last gen hardware, not just because it completely screws up third party support but also because Nintendo is no longer making cutting edge games.  They're not leaders, they're not innovators.  They're conservative ninnies clinging to old concepts, some of which would have been outdated on the N64.  Today, you go with Nintendo if you want the same old bullshit.  This is even ignoring their casual crap.  And sadly I don't really see any other company that's like Nintendo used to be.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
As a person with zero nostalgia for older Nintendo games, i can clearly see that modern Nintendo games are as good as they ever been, both in quality and quantity.

I'm sorry for people who are unable to realize it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:00:41 AM »
OOT and Mario 64 are just as, if not more flawed then Galaxy and TP

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:50:10 AM »
Nostalgia typically wears off when I actually go back and play some of those old games. Only a few of them hold up. I wonder how many games I really liked more recently will hold up years from now.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with all the Nintendo products I've purchased. DSi was probably used the least as I did most of my damage on the DS Lite I eventually gave to my brother. I recently picked up a couple DS game which I prefer playing on the DSi so it will get some extra play time.

I like Wii U. It's a decent console that gets a lot more flak than it deserves, not that it doesn't deserve some of it (e.g. those load times... my goodness). This is going to be a good year for it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
We received an NES for Christmas in 1989 and so the first game I played was Super Mario Brothers. Then the second game I played was Castlequest, which I actually liked more than Super Mario Brothers. Crazy, I know. Though, I was never terribly interested in the NES, it was more something I'd play when there was nothing else to do rather than something I actively wanted to do. I played the greats like the Zeldas and Mega Mans, though I was more interested in something like Zelda because it had more depth to it than Mega Man. Even so, I wanted more out of games than what the NES could provide so I was never too into it.

We didn't own an SNES during its era, though we did have a Genesis. We never had very many games for that system though; Sonic 1 and 2, Golden Axe, Sword of Vermillion, and Blaster Master 2 are what I recall having. There may have been a few others that didn't interest me (I have three siblings that I shared this stuff with). The only SNES games I played during its generation are Super Mario World and Zelda: Link to the Past at a friend's house, though once again I was more interested in the Zelda game. I still didn't feel like these systems offered much more than the NES, though of course these games I played were all the earlier ones that didn't take full advantage of their respective systems.

In the summer of '97, my younger brother received an SNES for his birthday and, not wanting to be outdone, my older brother bought a Nintendo 64 for himself. Since we got both systems on one day then I effectively missed the SNES generation, so unfortunately I don't have as much context and attachment to that system as I could have gotten. When I first played Super Mario 64, it really captured my imagination. Before then, I had a pretty low opinion of videogames, I thought they were all just plain, dotty images with beeps and boops, and simplistic gameplay. Super Mario 64 opened my eyes and showed me the amazing things that games can do. This is the point where games transitioned from a mere timewaster to a full-blown hobby (though still not my number one hobby). As the N64 years went on, games like Goldeneye and Zelda further solidified that.

That's how I got into games, and the rest, as they say, is history. Since then, GameCube was a disappointment to me. I didn't feel it did a good job building on the greatness of the N64. The Wii however, was a good turnaround, it has a much better, more robust library than the GameCube and Nintendo's output was much better. Wii U is so far a disappointment overall, but it has a few fun games and more on the way. Too early to judge it as a whole. 3DS is also disappointing, but the DS is a tough act to follow.

The N64 is still my fave system but nostalgia removed, I'd probably say the Wii. GameCube and NES are at the low end, though I'd probably pick GameCube as my least fave Nintendo system. The NES is somewhat forgivable due to being limited by the technology of the time, and from the relative inexperience of game developers.

It's kind of odd how I used to like Zelda more than Mario, but now the Mario franchise is my favourite. I guess things have a way of changing for one reason or another.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:11:30 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:54:25 PM »
As a person with zero nostalgia for older Nintendo games, i can clearly see that modern Nintendo games are as good as they ever been, both in quality and quantity.

It's not about what's better because later games are often better due to small refinements.  I care more about how good Nintendo games are for the time period they are released and the games today are mostly worst.  Skyward Sword is not as good as a 2011 game than Ocarina of Time is as a 1998 game.  I would want a Zelda of 2014 to be as good of a game as the original was in 1987 or A Link to the Past was in 1992 or OoT in 1998.  The ambition in the design should be the same and it isn't.  Nintendo aren't just the formula to me because I became a fan because of the creativity, ambition and innovation in the game design, not specifically because you get this key and then get the boomerang and beat a dodongo, etc.

And Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World ARE actually better games than the NSMB titles.  Their 2D design doesn't make them age like an N64 game does and the NSMB titles do so little with modern technology that their design doesn't add anything substantial to the formula.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

It's not about what's better because later games are often better due to small refinements.  I care more about how good Nintendo games are for the time period they are released and the games today are mostly worst.  Skyward Sword is not as good as a 2011 game than Ocarina of Time is as a 1998 game.  I would want a Zelda of 2014 to be as good of a game as the original was in 1987 or A Link to the Past was in 1992 or OoT in 1998.  The ambition in the design should be the same and it isn't.  Nintendo aren't just the formula to me because I became a fan because of the creativity, ambition and innovation in the game design, not specifically because you get this key and then get the boomerang and beat a dodongo, etc.

And Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World ARE actually better games than the NSMB titles.  Their 2D design doesn't make them age like an N64 game does and the NSMB titles do so little with modern technology that their design doesn't add anything substantial to the formula.

I disagree here, while I love Super Mario Bros. 3 and World to death to say they are better than New Super Mario Bros. is a real stretch, and I think that is either nostalgia talking. I haven't play the latter ones but they do look pretty good to me, but New Super Mario Bros. on the DS was one of the best games on the DS and one of the best Mario games ever made. I don't know why World or even 3 are held up as these amazing games that broadened the games whatever but the NEW games are just rehashes or whatever.
Right now the three Mario games and one DKC are the only games I am interested in for the Wii U and my sister gave her kids all DS's for Christmas and they play nothing but New Super Mario and Mario 3D Land and they love them. If you were a kid today you would think they were great games too but your not, your looking at them as an adult who prefers the games from his childhood.

I can't comment on Skyward Sword because I never played it, but I will say that my interest in Zelda games has dried up over the years and part of that is the fatigue, which is why I am excited for something fresh like Hyrule Warriors. With Zelda games I am tired of replaying the same game over and over, sure there are minor changes but pick a Zelda and you pretty much know exactly where to go and what do to, occasionally they try to trick you or mix things up. I would have preferred it if they had made latter Zelda's either focus more on the action or make them full on RPG's, I am tired of the middle ground they keep straddling, the last two Zelda games I played took forever to get to the actual action and I hate that. I am all for dungeon exploration and I am all for puzzle solving but come one there still needs to be action in these games and they seem to have forgotten that, and the challenge is lessened when you have annoying little tagalongs basically telling you what to do the whole damn time anyways.

I know this will ruffle feathers but I hope to God Hyrule Warriors is a big smash hit and the next "main" one is a total flop. At least that way Nintendo will learn to try something really new with Zelda instead of just adding some weird gimmick to each game. The gimmicks are worse than in the 3D Mario games.

And before some jack ass says something stupid like I want Mario games to stay the same but change Zelda, yes because Mario are pick up and play, short little distractions, Zelda games are super involved and require a real commitment. Also I love that about Mario, his games do have variety even the ones that stay close to the formula, Zelda games you played one you played them all pretty much, yes I played enough to say that is how I feel about them, I played both NES, the Minish Cap, Link to Past, OOT, MM, Wind Waker, TP, Oracles, and by the time I got to Twilight Princess I learned I wasn't having fun anymore and I was forcing myself to continue just because.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:34:04 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
NSMB on DS, to me, was easily the weakest game in the New series. It's too easy and the new powerups were woefully underused. NSMBW and NSMBU are both excellent and hold their own against the older games, but I'd still give the edge to SMB3 and World due to innovation. They were far more inventive and experimental. I felt Donkey Kong Country Returns did more in terms of moving the genre forward. I can't fairly comment on Tropical Freeze as I've only played two or three stages and haven't opened my copy I just bought yesterday yet.

A Link Between Worlds sends you on your way fairly quickly, especially compared to Twilight Princess. If you want to go adventuring immediately, that might be the game for you. I highly doubt Hyrule Warriors outperforms the next mainline Zelda. I'd be surprised if it manages to outperform Wind Waker HD. I don't think Nintendo needs a flop to try something new. I also don't think they really need to turn it into a completely different genre though I'm intrigued by Hyrule Warriors and I hope it turns out well despite how early it looked. Skyward Sword was probably the largest departure for the series in years (I know you said you haven't played it), but I personally wasn't a fan. It was well-made; it simply didn't resonate with me.

I get what you're saying about Zelda games being similar, but I don't agree that you-play-one-you-played-them-all. There's a formula that makes things predictable, sure. However, I never felt like I was playing the same game.

EDIT: I meant to comment on this earlier
That's how I got into games, and the rest, as they say, is history. Since then, GameCube was a disappointment to me. I didn't feel it did a good job building on the greatness of the N64. The Wii however, was a good turnaround, it has a much better, more robust library than the GameCube and Nintendo's output was much better. Wii U is so far a disappointment overall, but it has a few fun games and more on the way. Too early to judge it as a whole. 3DS is also disappointing, but the DS is a tough act to follow.
I feel the exact opposite way you do. GameCube, to me, is Nintendo's strongest console after SNES (N64 is close behind). It has three of the best games I've ever played (Melee, Prime, and RE4). I find that I can still go back and play those games while many of the N64 games aged poorly. The framerate on Mario Kart 64 hurts my face.

I also had a lot of fun with Wii even though it gets a lot of slack from some. It was released during another transitional period for me. I was almost out of college and starting a full time job. My gaming habits haven't changed much since. There are/were software droughts, but they affect(ed) me far less due to how much less I play video games now.

Here's how I'd rank Nintendo hardware:

Consoles - SNES, GameCube, N64, Wii, Wii U, NES. The verdict is still out on Wii U, but that's where it stands right now. Honestly, both Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. are looking like the best entries in their respective series, and 7 and Melee are extremely tough to follow. 3D World is already excellent, and if the new Zelda is solid, I could see Wii U giving GameCube a run for its money.

Handhelds: DS(i), 3DS, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy/Color. The verdict is still out on 3DS, but I find it much stronger than Wii U currently. Streetpass/Play Coins has me using it every day.

Overall: SNES, DS(i), GameCube, 3DS, N64, Wii, Gameboy Advance, Wii U, Gameboy/Color, NES. I suppose Virtual Boy is automatically last for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:23:38 PM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
Personally, I haven't been truly "wowed" by a game since the N64 era. There is never going to be anything so drastic and game-changing as the shift from 2D to 3D, it's simply impossible for something like that to exist in this day and age. Current technology can allow pretty much any game imaginable, and I've felt that's been true for at least a decade, so there isn't really anything left to be ambitious with. And I've also stopped caring about that for at least a decade as well. Now, all I want is fun games. And typically, that's what I get from Nintendo.

GameCube, to me, is Nintendo's strongest console after SNES (N64 is close behind). It has three of the best games I've ever played (Melee, Prime, and RE4). I find that I can still go back and play those games while many of the N64 games aged poorly. The framerate on Mario Kart 64 hurts my face.
I never played RE4 (as you know), but Melee and Metroid Prime are indeed great. SSBMelee is still my fave game on any system, but that isn't enough for me to call the GameCube great as a whole. I don't think it's bad either, just doesn't stand up to other systems on the whole. Metroid Prime (and 2) now has a superior version on the Wii, so of course I credit the game for GameCube but I now play it on the Wii. RE4 is a similar story, it will be a Wii game for me as well.

The main thing that really hurts the GameCube for me is that it has one of the worst Mario games released and one of the worst Zeldas. Worst being a relative term of course; Sunshine and Wind Waker are still good games, but they are weak entries compared to others in that series. Since these are my two fave franchises then a system which has weak entries in it is going to score few points with me.

I do like Twilight Princess a lot which should probably be counted as a GameCube game since it started as one, even though the Wii version released first. But I played it on Wii and consider that the better version, so it's also a Wii game to me.

I never really liked Mario Kart 64 much to begin with. Mario Kart Wii is way better than anything that came before it. I hope MK8 can top it, but it has a lot to live up to.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
I know this will ruffle feathers but I hope to God Hyrule Warriors is a big smash hit and the next "main" one is a total flop. At least that way Nintendo will learn to try something really new with Zelda instead of just adding some weird gimmick to each game. The gimmicks are worse than in the 3D Mario games.

I don't trust Nintendo enough to learn the right lesson from a flop.  I figure poor Zelda sales would just tell them that people don't like Zelda anymore.  It takes a very savvy developer to recognize that a series has gone stale and that that is responsible for lower sales.  And you could argue that anyone that savvy probably recognizes that they were being stale to begin with and would try to avoid doing so.  I'm very worried about Metroid's future for example because I have no idea why Nintendo thinks Other M wasn't well received.  In theory I figure the Wii U bombing would inspire them to get their act together but now I fear their solution is to have an exit strategy for leaving the videogame industry.

Think of how often in your own life you realized your mistake and learned the right lesson from doing so and things ended up better.  Does that happen very often or are we more likely to come up with excuses, see only what we want to see, and avoid personal growth and improvement if it involves anything unpleasant along with way?  Now apply that to a corporation where there are all sorts of clashing egos and probably half the executives are phonies that have faked their way to the top.  Half of the shareholders would just use that as an excuse to push for cellphone games because that's the agenda they're pushing anyway.

I think the best we can hope for is that the team making Zelda becomes inspired to try new things with the series because of their personal passion for the source material and that these new ideas aren't something the suits would disapprove of.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
I've played SMB3 last year for the very first time.

SMB3 has absolutely baffling level design (levels that take 10 seconds to complete and have NOTHING on them, seriously there is nothing there), lots of padding (absolutely pointless underground tunnels that are there just to waste my time).

I respect the game for what it did, but it's not as good as you think it is.

Also i personally hate overreliance on items. I hate to spend half an hour in a level trying to find an exit, and then finding out i was supposed to use a power-up AND know exactly what i have to do. And that the ONLY way to complete the level.

"Bu... bu.. but... whistle!" Whistle is an item too. And i am completely baffled why would anyone SKIP levels in a game. It's the same as going to cinema, reading the brief description of the movie and walking out 10 minutes after it starts.

Even the first NSMB game is better than SMB3. Every other NSMB improved on it tenfold.

Other issues with SMB3 are physics (almost analog momentum based jumping is too wonky), Luigi-like skating all the time (half of the time in the game you spend braking trying to get a hold of yourself and not slip off a platform after a long jump). Screen doesn't scroll as fast you can move so you're forced to memorize the some levels and replay it until you get the sequence just right with zero freedom to improvise.

It's the perfect example of blinding nostalgia.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
Oh you are so banned.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 11:50:09 PM »
That would only reinforce my point completely: you are so invested in it emotionally and can't disprove even a single point, you'd rather silence an inconvenient truth rather than face it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 12:00:25 AM »
Well for one, if you need that many items to progress you really suck at the game. Also, and this is more a difference in opinion more than a fact either way, but I like Mario 3's shorter levels way more than the way-too-long ones in World. Really, most of your complaints are more philosophical difference than flaws in the game. And to the physics point, that's funny, because my main complaint with World is that the physics never feel right.

EDIT: And if I were actually going to ban you and not just joke about it, I wouldn't announce it here. In my bannings I'm like a thief in the night; you'd never see me coming.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:02:56 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »
Well for one, if you need that many items to progress you really suck at the game.
THAT'S THE THING. I DON'T USE ITEMS/POWER-UPS.

Unless i am forced to do it by the game.

And I HATE when game FORCES me to.

That's my entire point.

There are many points in SMB3 when you're required to use some power-up to get through. I hated every single time it did that.

I did the entire run with regular small Mario.

Also, and this is more a difference in opinion more than a fact either way, but I like Mario 3's shorter levels way more than the way-too-long ones in World.
I never played World so i don't side me in the SMB3 vs World debate.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »
I can't think of a single time when a power-up is required. They can certainly make things easier, and there may be certain optional parts of levels that require them, but I'm fairly certain you could beat the whole game without one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 12:39:50 AM »
I can't think of a single time when a power-up is required. They can certainly make things easier, and there may be certain optional parts of levels that require them, but I'm fairly certain you could beat the whole game without one.
Thanks for proving my point: blinding nostalgia.

There were few other times when game did that but i don't remember it as clearly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »
Hey, I'm not blinded by nostalgia. I've actually been playing the game pretty recently because I was too impatient to wait for the VC release. I'm sorry that I don't have a completely photographic memory of every part of the game. Great, you showed an example of a level that requires a power-up, one that is easily available in the level and respawns every time you enter that room.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:42 AM »
I don't care if power-up is in the level or not.

The mere fact that the use of power-up is ABSOLUTELY required to progress through a level in an extremely bullshit way is a big no-no.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 01:12:53 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, pretty much every game in the series since them has also had such levels, so I'm not sure why you were expecting different.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 01:26:59 AM »
SMB1 can be completed with no power-ups.
All the NSMB games can be completed with no power-ups. And not only just "completed", but the vast majority of collectibles (if not all of them) and extra stuff can also be done by regular Mario alone.
Super Mario 3D Land can be completed with no power-ups. Even the final-final-final level can be completed with no power-ups.
Super Mario 3D World can be completed with no power-ups. Majority of the collectibles (if not all of them) you can get with no power-ups, even the green stars that are placed seemingly too high can be obtained with helicopter jump.

These games are all superior to SMB3 not only because of that one fact (though that's a big plus), but it's but just one part of overall inferior level design in SMB3.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:29:13 AM by azeke »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:34 AM »
I guess I'll take your word for that, because I don't remember those games to that extent. I know for sure that 64 and both Galaxies had levels like that, and am almost certain that World did as well. Really, I don't see why it's that much of a problem so long as they're easily and conveniently available.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:08 AM »
Really, I don't see why it's that much of a problem so long as they're easily and conveniently available.
It's just one problem in the big pile. Other issues i mentioned here and even earlier but they always conveniently gets forgotten in the outrage of rustled feathers:

1. Slow screen scrolling -- you potentially move faster than screen scrolls which leads to blind jumps unless you stop, but..
2. you have to spend a lot of gameplay time constantly braking and stopping yourself from falling off because momentum pushes you further than you want. If you don't stop, see point 1.
3. Pointless time wasting -- underground tunnels that DO NOTHING
4. ENTIRE levels that DO NOTHING, there is nothing in there, and you run through them in ten seconds, and then shrug "what was THAT about?"

I can go on if you really want your childhood picked apart.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 01:48:01 AM »
The first one I'll give you, the forced scrolling levels go way too slow for my tastes. The second one I completely disagree with, but maybe that's just the fact that the quarter century I've spent playing the game has trained me how to handle it better. The third is annoying, I guess, but not enough to be worth bitching about to the extent that you do. Four I don't really agree with; sure there are some really short levels, but I like that compared to levels in other games in the series that tend to take way too long.

I get that you don't like the game, but taking the stance that you are absolutely in the right and anyone who disagrees with you is blinded by nostalgia is a really obnoxious attitude. I've completed the game dozens of times, over the course of over two decades, and I wouldn't still be playing it or be as rabidly excited to buy the game for like the 6th or 7th time if I didn't truly love it.

J.P. Corbran