Author Topic: Micrsoft is now doomed  (Read 10998 times)

Offline Epitaph

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed
« on: July 02, 2003, 06:49:42 PM »
Im not gonna link or tell you how its done but some fellows have found a exploit with games from xbox that allow hacking the consol without a modchip. This exploit was released after microsoft refused to comply to the people that found it and allow linux to run on xbox. Now it is on the same path as the dreamcast where no one will buy games and burn all of em. What do you think, does microsoft now have a chance, now that their consol is so easily pirated.

p.s. Plz moderator i think this is allowed because i didn't explain how its being pirated i just say it is without a mod and without a link if it is breaking the rules il remove or lock it thx. or you do it for me.  

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
RE: Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 07:30:39 PM »
Heard it a week or so ago...they aren't doomed.  You didn't always need a mod chip for PSX.   And we all know Sony did terribly....

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 08:08:23 PM »
Yeah but Microsoft isn't Sony, they're just a little bit ahead of Nintendo (in the U.S.).  Microsoft can't afford to loose it's second place lead (it would sure as hell help Nintendo though).

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 09:32:38 PM »
You just release a new version of the hardware without the vulnerability to prevent further damage. There's already been at least 1 Xbox revision, and supposedly there was going to be another to shrink it. This hack still involves some basic hardware technical skills, followed by a Linux installation... and while Linux is talked up a lot, it's not exactly going to shake the world up yet.

MS isn't making money on Xbox anyway. They continue despite of the fact.

The Penny Arcade comic about this sums up my feelings.
"wow."

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 08:20:10 AM »
pirating is always going to be a problem for companies, be it music or games, or movies... M$ has enough money to keep going nomatter what happens. And the next version will be out in a few years and likely they will have learned from their mistakes.

Anyways it was M$ idea to put a HD in their system, what did they think people would do with it?
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 10:42:24 AM »
They even said that this system is to create name recognition.  They aren't planing on making money on this.   The more people who buy Xbox and learn about it the better for them.  More likely that they can shore up the next system and sell millions next gen, when they plan on money comming in.  I love linux, but my feelings about these guys also line up with the PA comic on the subject.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 11:26:35 AM »
like bigjim was saying, this whole easy mod thing is a joke because it isn't that easy.  How many people do you know are gonna be willing to crack open their xbox, slop so solder on, and then boot it up with a linux disc, step through the installation, and then learn enough linux to pirate the games?  It aint gonna happen.  Its not like the Dreamcast where you could just put in a copied game and play away...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 12:09:07 PM »
Uhh, Linux on xbox isn't exactly hard to figure out... I could teach you how to do all the things required to set it up in 5 minutes in person. It really is pretty simple.

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 05:09:12 PM »
Microsoft  isn't doomed. Microsoft can NEVER be doomed unless the world realizes that Microsoft makes a junk browser and even junkier operating systems.  
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, GTA 3, Animal Crossing.

Currently Reading: Hannibal, Dreamcatcher.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 06:26:09 PM »
blah blah blah, you are a linux pro...blah blah blah, 5 minutes.  Yeah, i know linux too, but most of the people that play xboxes wouldn't have the slightest idea.  I don't care how easy you "say" it is...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 07:12:36 PM »
I don't know if I was clear enough but it basically is like dreamcast after you activate the exploit you pop in the disc and play. The linux part was the original usage of it. Now they just went to easily modyfying bios with it to run pirated games. Pirating killed the dreamcast, everyone pirated the games, now its going to xbox. Sure microsoft can support it no problem but they are loosing money that pisses off investors. Theirs 3 versions of xbox btw.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 08:09:48 PM »
Pirating didn't kill the Dreamcast- Sony's PS2 hype killed the Dreamcast, that and general knowledge of Sega being in the crapper. Only hardcore gaming nerds who have nothing better to do pirated Dreamcast games- NOBODY I know owns a pirated Dreamcast game. Most people who owned a Dreamcast didn't care enough about buying games to actually pirate them, however long it took to do it. Stop dillusioning youselves.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2003, 07:08:38 AM »
Dreamcast died on it's own, this is true.  Piracy got big for it AFTER the fact, when people bought 10 dollar games.  I have a buddy who uses a few newgroups for obvious reasons, he used to tell me about the 1 or 2 dreamcast games he saw every few months when the DC was out, now there are tons of them around.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2003, 09:28:06 AM »
i can buy PC software and music piracy as seriously hurting sales, because it's really easy to do. All the software is free and it's pretty much common knowledge among a lot of computer users.  It's not as easy to pirate games on consoles. The main difference is you need something to bypass the system's built in security to play those games, as well as access to copies of the software. And not everyone knows how to do it. It's a step beyond the choose and click simplicity of the aforementioned types of pirating.

i will agree that it's hurting MS. Last i checked they were still eating hardware costs, so if you buy an Xbox and pirate all your games, they're losing money. There's always hopes of accessory sales, but that's nothing compared to game sales.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2003, 01:54:03 PM »
Microsoft has more money than some third world nations! They could continue the Xbox without a profit for 100s of years.h
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Drexion

• View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2003, 05:35:50 AM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
blah blah blah, you are a linux pro...blah blah blah, 5 minutes.  Yeah, i know linux too, but most of the people that play xboxes wouldn't have the slightest idea.  I don't care how easy you "say" it is...

Thats the whole point. The crackers are making it easier, so that even those not in the know can enjoy the illegal benefits.

I have 2 friends with modded xboxes, and they both each have about 100 illegal games, which they paid like 5bucks each for. And they are NOT guru's or whatever when it comes to computing.

It doesnt matter if this new discovery is difficult to learn not or not - there are people who will make it easy for the masses, for various reasons.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2003, 08:03:49 AM »
like people have said, ths really can only help microsoft. if people can pirate games easily, more people will want the system just so they can pirate games.  more people with the system, greater chance they find something they like (since there's no risk [read: $$$ required] to try every game), greater chance they recognize MS next console race (when MS brings out the all in one game system, digital cable, tv web browser, toaster oven XBox part deux.
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2003, 09:20:49 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Pirating didn't kill the Dreamcast- Sony's PS2 hype killed the Dreamcast, that and general knowledge of Sega being in the crapper. Only hardcore gaming nerds who have nothing better to do pirated Dreamcast games- NOBODY I know owns a pirated Dreamcast game. Most people who owned a Dreamcast didn't care enough about buying games to actually pirate them, however long it took to do it. Stop dillusioning youselves.

Wow, my friend is definitely not a hardcore gamer or even a nerd, but he still has some pirated games that he bought for $5. Just admit you were wrong....the dreamcast stop producing games becuase they thought it was pointless, which it was. That is what stopped sales, not PS2 hype.

Yes I'm sure it will be easy to crack the xbox now that they know how to run foriegn objects on the hard drive. I expect a release of a boot disk or a one time crack that let's you play copied games without use of a bootdisk. Also, since they are able to run Linux, they could probably just rip games on to the hardrive.  

can't wait....

"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2003, 10:00:10 AM »
Why should I admit I was wrong when I'm not? Pirating simply does NOT take that big of a chunk out of console gaming sales- all those articles saying it does are just propoganda to get people to stop doing it. The money lost each year to pirating is pocket change compared to how much is made, and the simple fact of the matter is that pirating did NOT kill the Dreamcast. Like I said, most owners of the console didn't take the time to modify their Dreamcast to play games because buying them wasn't a hassle at all.

"the dreamcast stop producing games becuase they thought it was pointless, which it was. "

Developers stopped making Dreamcasr games because they weren't selling because NO ONE OWNED A DREAMCAST. Sony's PS2 hype killed the Dreamcast- barely antyone bought a Dreamcast because they were waiting for a PS2, and THAT'S why the Dreamcast failed, not beause of a collection of gaming nerds without girlfriends who think they're being rebels by burning games instead of buying them. Face facts- pirating did not kill the Dreamcast. It may have been a problem, but it's not what was the ultimate cause of the Dreamcast's failure and Sega's end as a console maker. When did you guys get this crap in your heads?  

Look, if pirating really does make consoles die, why is the PSX the best selling home console of all time when it was easy as hell to pirate games on it? Doesn't make sense, does it?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2003, 11:44:57 AM »
He's not wrong.  The PS2 killed the DC.  If I hear the work hardcore gamer again I am going to puke.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2003, 01:38:35 PM »
Sure, but it was eventually going to happen. Even if the hype wasn't there, SEGA would still be a third party developer now.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2003, 02:32:06 PM »
Because Seg had a string of failed consoles all in a row and very few people actually wanted to buy a Dreamcast for fear it would die a couple years later almost devoid of any games. Besides that Sega was too quirky for the mainstream, and both those factors drove sales into the ground. The PS2 hype was the final nail in the coffin, but Sega was doomed to failure anyway, and NOT because of pirating.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2003, 03:35:12 PM »
LOL,

Love how nintendo fanboys think this as positive when nintendo themselves consider this bad.

Considering how much nintendo is losing with privating done on the xbox (you can private N64, SNES, and of course GBA).  

And considering how small these files are, you can private 100's of them within no-time.

It's bad for everyone.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2003, 05:27:22 PM »
It's no more than a splinter, ymeegod- look at the figures. Any major game publisher complaining about pirating is likle Bill Gates complaining he lost a $100 bill- it may seem like a lot to us, but it's pocket change to them (at that INCLUDES Nintendo). The truth is, not enough people pirate games to make it that much of a problem. No one's going to fail because games are being pirated. Besides, I read somewhere it's extremely easy for Microsoft to make this little technique impossible. Pirating is still bad, but it's not as big a problem as some people would lead you to believe.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Micrsoft is now doomed?
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2003, 05:57:19 PM »
Actually the bigger developers are the ones that are losing the most.

Which games do you think get privated faster, Zelda or some game like Rayman 3 for example?  You see plenty of SM64 Roms but you really don't see any Superman 64 roms :0.

Also if you ever recalled Tribes?  There was more people playing (nearly 2x) then actual copies sold.

Yeah, privating has always been around since freaking 5 1/4 floppies but it's growing (mostly because of the widespread of info thanks to the net).