Author Topic: Is there any way to play import games?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline ShinobiMuramasa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Is there any way to play import games?
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:10:07 AM »
I've been waiting for Datel's Wii Freeloader, but since they're refusing to release any information I've been looking into other methods. I'd prefer not to get a Mod-Chip because all I want is to be able to play import games (funny how Nintendo promised us a region free console...). I'm already received my copy of Naruto Shippuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX and I'm anxious to play... I've tried a whole bunch of things with the Wii, but it looks like I'm going to have to either get a Mod-Chip or wait for the Freeloader. I thought it might be possible after reading the article on the site about playing GC games without a Freeloader. I don't want to give up hope let because it seems possible. If I do have to end up getting a Mod-Chip, what would you recommend if I just want to play imports?

Offline therat

• View Profile
RE: Is there any way to play import games?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 03:02:16 AM »
wait to buy those games... wat if u changed ur region on the system to japan? =oP

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:35:32 AM »
I don't think there's a way to do that yet. I sure hope there will be knowing how nintendo loves to screw Europe over.

(funny how Nintendo promised us a region free console...)

Blame Nintendo of Europe for that one, like I do.

Rat: Yeah, sure and how would he do that?

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:20:41 AM »
There is no way right now to play import Wii games. The region stuff is all software based and unless you have access to a Japan install disc there is no way to convert a US system to Japan.

A Mod chip is your best bet, or you could just wait for the US (or Europe) release.

What would be really nice is if Nintendo releases a Wii Channel that lets you play imports. It shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do. I really do wonder why Nintendo didn't do region free with the Wii when you have the DS and GBA which were.  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Is there any way to play import games?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:36:58 AM »

Originally posted by: capamericaWhat would be really nice is if Nintendo releases a Wii Channel that lets you play imports. It shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do. I really do wonder why Nintendo didn't do region free with the Wii when you have the DS and GBA which were.

Probably because none of the other homes consoles were region free.

But I agree, considering all the money they made with Ouendan with the DS they would be a little more open when it comes to gamers importing games.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 06:16:44 AM »
Not there is a way and it doesn't requre a mod chip.
It allows all NTSC machines to play all NTSC games but no PAL games
surprisingly all PAL machines can also play NTSC games. It requires quick hands and flawless execution, and no I haven't tried it, but I'll try and dig up where I saw it.

But here is kind of what I remember:
Load up a regular "this region" game
Wait for game to show up, and hover the reomte over the start button
Eject the Disc and click start at the last possible second before the button is disabled
Insert "other region" Disc before system tried to reboot
If it works, it should load your "other region" under the copy protection of your "this region" game and you should be able to play the game normally.

Give it a shot, let us know if it works. Meanwhile I'll look up where I saw this at.

edit: never mind that was for playing GC games on the Wii

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 06:20:20 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Give it a shot, let us know if it works. Meanwhile I'll look up where I saw this at.

Welcome to Nintendo World Report.
Thanks for listening.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 06:26:33 AM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Welcome to Nintendo World Report.

I saw it somewhere else like a week ago and to be honest I never read the front page of this site. Straight to the forum for me.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 06:47:42 AM »
Yeah, this is the hardest Nintendo system to crack for imports.  The cartridge systems were all easily overcome by pin converters or simply removing pieces of plastic. The GameCube took a little technical skill but you only needed a switch to open and close the circuit.  Now?  I suppose it's in the firmware, and the heavy emphasis on downloads makes messing with that kind of risky.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 06:54:59 AM »
Even then, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from releasing an update (online and via games in the future) to block out a particular software that has been created for import games.

If Nintendo Europe locked PAL Wii's from even accepting Freeloaders/Action Replay then it's likely they can do it for anything else.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 07:03:40 AM »
I really do wonder why Nintendo didn't do region free with the Wii when you have the DS and GBA which were.

Because then NoE would have trouble keeping customers when you can import games half a year earlier for much cheaper.

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 08:37:41 AM »
Shouldnt that tell them something...People shouldnt have to wait, if it were region free they could release it the same day everywhere.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 10:09:03 AM »
I agree with the idea of a region channel.  Sell a channel for each region. Sorry KDR but NoE probably wouldn't allow it to be released there.

Back to idea.
You could have a Japan Wii Channel.  Where the Japanese region stuff would play with no problem.

$20 Dollars get you Import games and another $20 gets you an alternate VC shop that would allow you to buy games from Japan and run it on your Wii.
40 bucks and your non-Japanese Wii is now just as good minus the Wii Ware.  Nintendo makes good money for what is probably just essentially a variable change and people willing to import games will like the relatively low cost and risk, compared to modding with a chip or just importing a Japanese Wii.

You slap a disclaimer that maybe not all games will work and there you go. Now you don't have to worry about people hacking your system.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 07:30:16 PM »
People shouldnt have to wait, if it were region free they could release it the same day everywhere.

But that would mean they couldn't take half a year to translate all the text! OMG! They might have to learn from the PC publishers who manage simultaneous releases of games that have loads of text and even translate the voice acting instead of adding subtitles!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 04:57:33 PM »
You also need to use some sort of "boot disc" to play imports using a Wii modchip, as the devs claim adding swap-free import support would make the chip able to be read by the software on the Wii.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
People shouldnt have to wait, if it were region free they could release it the same day everywhere.

But that would mean they couldn't take half a year to translate all the text! OMG! They might have to learn from the PC publishers who manage simultaneous releases of games that have loads of text and even translate the voice acting instead of adding subtitles!

And part of the blame for that goes to EU rules.  There are a whole lot of languages in Europe.  If you want your games faster convert to Esperanto.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 08:39:28 PM »
Then tell me why publishers for PC games manage to release with mere days of delay (or even "negative" delay) with fully translated voice acting (Nintendo only slaps subtitles on scenes with voice acting) and MUCH less markup (40-50€ instead of 60€). If EU rules were in the way those delays would affect all publishers equally, no?