Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269226 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
I mean that kaiju thing was in the trailer. That just happens to be a really good angle, and the the stylization elevates it.
It also wouldn't be that different than the intro to Guardians of the Galaxy and looks exactly like this Japanese movie:

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Dude... that's Starro in the Trailer and the Poster.

What I'm saying is that I really like the poster, and I like James Gunn's work, but who wants to bet that poster is gonna be better then the movie itself.

p.s. I have no faith in Suicide Squad as a franchise. Trailer didn't do anything for me. Not even James Gunn funning it up will make it a "good" movie. and that Poster is gonna be the best part of this whole movie....

or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. take the bet.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
I really liked the music in the trailer

"Times are hard
You're afraid to pay the fee
So you find yourself somebody
Who can do the job for free
When you need a bit of lovin'
'Cause your man is out of town
That's the time you get me runnin'
And you know I'll be around

I'm a fool to do your dirty work
Oh yeah
I don't wanna do your dirty work
No more
I'm a fool to do your dirty work
Oh yeah"

of course I liked "I started a Joke" by Bee Gees and that didn't make the first Suicide Squad good. WB has great trailers and poorly edited movies. I'd rather see the movie I thought Suicide Squad was going to be when the first trailer dropped. It's even color graded differently. The Ayer cut will probably not happen, but Fandome 2 is coming. There are only so many movies in the DC/WB backlog that could be improved through better editing. If you can do one of those a year it's like releasing a new movie, but not.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I have absolutely zero in interest in the movie.

All I got from it when watching was Guardians, but with more blood and expletives. I guess that was his pitch to WB. I personally feel that GotG is by far the weakest in the Marvel stable. GotG 2 remains the only MCU movie I have never rewatched and have no desire to ever do so. Applying that same template to DC characters (majority of which I've never heard of) holds no draw to me at all.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
That’s fair. It’s important to listen to your gut and not waste time on something you know you’ll dislike. I will occasionally watch something based on critical acclaim or peer pressure, but I’m an idiot. Don’t do what I do.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
But the thing about peer pressure is, can that many of your peers be wrong?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was the Marvel movie that elicited my most emotional reaction. For personal reasons.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was the Marvel movie that elicited my most emotional reaction. For personal reasons.

Daddy issues?
Because that was a heavy theme of that movie.

You don't have to go in to the personal issues, but you mentioned it, so I thought I'd respond.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
It could also just be, defining your own family and knowing who you are in the world.  Guardian of the Galaxy 2 is a better movie, but I think Guardians 1 is more fun.  Guardians 1 falters in a boring first climax, but the build up is great.  Galaxy 2 has all these great character moments wrapped around some boring filler, but the end climax is just so fantastically fun and the messaging about identity and family is great.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile

Daddy issues?
Because that was a heavy theme of that movie.

You don't have to go in to the personal issues, but you mentioned it, so I thought I'd respond.

The other thing is it hit me differently when I watched it the second time.

I can't watch Lion King anymore either.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Suicide Squad review are out and they are actually..... Really Good!!

quick summary of what i've read is that James Gunn clearly was free to do as he pleases. SS is probably the most fun, wild, violent, funny, and entertaining movie in a long while. JG's best movie yet.

Now my question is, does this drop on HBO Max on Day 1? (8/6)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #911 on: August 02, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »
Now my question is, does this drop on HBO Max on Day 1? (8/6)

It does, and with no 3D version in theaters that is how I will probably watch it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 09, 2021, 04:42:11 AM »
The Suicide Squad - Idris Elba and Viola Davis together is not something i realised i needed, but after THAT scene and its the only one they physically have together i need those two together in literally anything else. The chemistry is electric.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:43:28 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 05, 2022, 11:49:37 PM »
The DCU sometimes without stuff

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: December 17, 2022, 03:01:33 PM »
So no one is following all the DC/DCU/DCEU drama as of the last few months?
I can't remember everything, so I'm just gonna give a quick re-cap off the top of my head.
anyone feel free to jump in and fill in blanks....

James Gunn (and some other guy) get announced as Directors/Architechs of the NewDCU - congrats ::applause::

The Flash has gone mostly silent.... rumors of cameos and spin-offs, but no news of how they plan to handle the problematic Real Life stories surrounding their lead actor....

The Rock HYPES up Black Adam as 10 years in the making.... it doesn't do AVENGERS numbers... Rock gets but hurt about not being able to compete with basic Marvel Movies and doesn't like being compared to BP:WF

The Rock leaks fake numbers to the trades to make it look like BA is gonna be profitable.... gets called out for in in the news. LOL

meanwhile.....
Henry Cavill quits the Witcher supposedly to return as Superman w/ a Cameo in The Flash and at the end of Black Adam.
- He was apparently making $1M a episode for the Witcher? hope it's not too late.

Rumors of a Batman Beyond spin-off (from The Flash) starring Michael Keaton as Old Man Bruce
- also cameos of WW, and other Batman's in The Flash

Gunn (and Safran?) have been quietly sculpting an Outline for the future of the DC Hierarchy (LOL)
apparently, this shift in plans has killed the following items:
- Wonder Woman 3
- WW's cameo in The Flash
- Cavil Superman project
- Cavil's Superman cameo in The Flash
- potential for a Black Adam 2 (and The Rocks involvement with the DCU?*)
- The rumored Batman Beyond Spin-off
- and anything else that hasn't already entered production.... will be re-evaluated.... so all those projects that DC has announced and never got around to actually starting may never come out in the forms they were planning (Green Lantern, Booster Gold, etc etc etc)

But Gunn has announced that he is working on a new Superman script, and it will be about a younger Superman

Aqua-man may now become Lobo in this rebooted NewDCU

The Batman 2 should proceed unimpeded by any plans to enter this grander rebooted NewDCU (shall remain stand-alone for now.... I assume this to also be true about The Joker)

Ben Affleck will likely be directing something in this new DCU
and Henry Cavill is still on good terms... so maybe he'll be back too?

Plans for this New DCU will likely be shared in the next few months, Gunn has stated he would liketo focus on some more obscure characters (outside of his "young" Superman movie), is very vocal about slapping down false rumors on Twitter... or Mastadon... or whatever other new Social Media is happening out there due to other unrelated craziness out there right now.

p.s. The Rock is apparently so upset with WB's changing of the Heirarchy of the DCU, that he has unfollowed WB and Black Adam on Twitter. :LOL:

p.p.s. The Rock apparently also turned down opportunities to appear in Shazam as Black Adam, but I guess he only respects Superman as a potential opponent, and wants nothing to do with Shazam....
I guess it doesn't matter now, as he will have nothing to do with Shazam, Black Adam, DC, and probably WB for a while.

Did I miss anything important

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 17, 2022, 04:25:16 PM »
I think the biggest issue with the DC universe is the main characters will be public domain soonish

Superman 2034
Batman 2035
Green Lantern 2036
Shazam 2036
Aquaman 2037
Wonder Woman 2038

That may seem like a long time, but Man of Steel came out almost 10 years ago. Warner Bros. Has been slow with output.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 04:31:45 PM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #917 on: December 26, 2022, 04:14:34 PM »
The Flash has gone mostly silent.... rumors of cameos and spin-offs, but no news of how they plan to handle the problematic Real Life stories surrounding their lead actor....

The news around The Flash leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth after they canceled an all-but-finished Batgirl movie for HBO Max and decided to just reboot the whole DCEU. Like, if they're going to go all-in on a new direction, are canceling projects, and have the lead actor **** bad press constantly, then why hang on it?

(All the Black Adam stuff including Cavill quitting his job at The Witcher to be Superman for one scene only to get fired again)

Black Adam was 10 years in the making because The Rock kept getting too big for his britches with the role. He signed on to play the character and didn't want Black Adam to just be a one-off movie villain, which is fine except that the character is basically C-List. It's a B-List villain's arch-nemesis with a muddied background. He fought for the solo film and then again to avoid having Black Adam lose to Shazam. He wanted a character that could go toe-to-toe with Superman and actually have that fight play out.

I like The Rock, and I thought Black Adam was pretty good, but Dwayne Johnson is the type of star that you build around. Dealing with him as a star and having to involve his production company likely wasn't worth it to James Gunn and Other Guy for that level of character. It sucks Cavill got roped into it, but Zack Snyder's Man of Steel sucked, and Cavill was left playing a stiff, two-dimensional Superman.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 13, 2023, 06:10:44 PM »
Well there is the Fox X-men reboot strategy.

Fox released First Class, which rebooted X-men. They were able to keep some stuff, and move on.

And Marvel has has some soft reboots in the past. We don't see Terrance Howard or Edward Norton running around as super heroes. Edgar Wrights Ant-man never happened.

To make a super hero universe work, everyone's ego but the producers has to be hung up on the coat rack. Why was Batman Forever better than Batman and Robin? probably a lot of egos working against the movie by that time.

Actually the Burton Schumacher anthology is actually something to look at for reboots. They kept on Alfred and Commisioner Gordon, and Robin for the second set, but the villains changed, even batman changed, and it really didn't matter. Not great movies, but the general public were a lot more capable of moving on with new casting at the time.

I think they'll build the new universe with the Aquaman and Peacemaker crew staying and everyone who can't hang or has too much of an ego or wants too much money is going to get recast. I'm not even sure Gal Gadot is gone, but Patty Jenkins may not be meshing.

I think the best thing they can do is Cast Khary Payton as the live action Cyborg and play his theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR131fc2pZY

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 13, 2023, 06:02:35 AM »
Looks like The Flash is finally coming out. June 16th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50TpsfMi9ac

It's really not looking as bad as I was thinking. Actually looks like it might actually be really good...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 06:08:37 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 13, 2023, 10:07:35 AM »
I am wholly annoyed that Batgirl is shitcanned, but this douche's movie is coming out.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 13, 2023, 12:28:50 PM »
According to Gunn's other partner in charge, Batgirl was really bad and unsalvageable.

I say walk away from what they may have spared us from, and embrace the DCU reset that will be The Flash.
It actually looks..... Good.
And I'm really surprised to say that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #922 on: February 13, 2023, 02:32:59 PM »
How bad could it have possibly been? Like, Catwoman bad? Or WW84 bad?

The Flash trailer looks. . .sigh . . . pretty good. I guess if they got the big cameo, they weren't gonna scrap it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 14, 2023, 02:43:27 AM »
I don't see why they couldn't drop Batgirl on a streaming service or something. If it truly flopped there they could still write off the difference.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 15, 2023, 03:32:15 AM »
Maybe in a few years time, it'll get leaked to the Internet, and then we can all clown on it for being even worse that we imagined.