Author Topic: Pikmin 3 Impressions  (Read 3532 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Pikmin 3 Impressions
« on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »

We plucked a set of story mode impressions.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/34882

Pikmin 3 begins with the story of the planet Koppai. Its people have destroyed their ecosystem and are getting close to starving. They send out "SPERO" probes in search of food, and just when their search seems to have failed, they find a match. A team is sent out to investigate, but before landing, the crew is ejected from their ship, the Drake. They all survive, but initially crashland on different continents and must find each other.

The story follows Captain Charlie, Alph the engineer, and Brittany the botanist in their search for fruit. They juice the fruit, saving the juice for their own consumption and storing the seeds to be planted on their home world. Though the targets are now fruit rather than treasure, you'll still need to find and use a variety of discarded bits of humanity to complete your goals.

The planet they've landed on is the planet of the Pikmin, who the crew quickly meet. The first stages introduce different Pikmin sequentially, starting with the Red Pikmin, Rock Pikmin, and Yellow Pikmin. The colored Pikmin retain their elemental abilities, with red Pikmin resistant to fire and yellow resistant to electricity. The Rock Pikmin are heavy and can be used to shatter crystals, glass, and enemies' shells.

It's clear that somebody has been there before, from telltale signs on previous rocket launches and scattered data files that describe Pikmin behavior. It is revealed that Captain Olimar had been there earlier and had left those files.

Pikmin 3 plays much like Pikmin 2, except that there are three explorers and teams of Pikmin to control instead of two. Levels are crafted in interesting ways such that sometimes you can set one team on a job and switch to another or you may have to coordinate multiple teams to reach otherwise unreachable locations.

The general gameplay doesn't deviate greatly from previous Pikmin, but various elements have been refined, such as the camera system. Some simple changes have been made that allow quicker management of your Pikmin. For instance, the different Pikmin Onion ships now merge together, housing multiple types of Pikmin. The touch screen map makes it easier to locate your Pikmin so you're less likely to leave your cohort to die from predation or drowning.

With regards to time pressure, Pikmin 3 seeks to strike a balance between the fixed 30 days of Pikmin and the lack of limit in Pikmin 2. While there is no fixed day limit, if you run out of juice, it will be game over. Thus, the gameplay oscillates between exploring and recovering fruit. The day system is still intact, and you need to make sure that your Pikmin are safe before the day ends. However, some changes remain across days -- for instance, damage you do to bosses is retained, allowing you to spread out battles across multiple days if necessary.

Pikmin 3 includes a very flexible set of control schemes. You can use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, the GamePad's classic controls, or the Pro Controller. The GamePad is used in each of these schemes as a secondary screen that includes status information, helpful tips, an overhead map. You can also play the game without a TV using any of the three control schemes. In the Remote and Nunchuk case, you can point at the GamePad screen's integrated sensor bar to play the game.

The GamePad also can be used as a camera, and the natural settings and amusing Pikmin behavior make for interesting shots that you can post. Pikmin 3's graphics are greatly improved, though I wouldn't say they've hit photorealism. Still, the camera allows for some creative shots.

The game appears full of little references. The planet is referred to as PNF-404, which appears to be a reference to the WWW's "Not Found" error code. The character's names also appear to be loosely based on the NATO alphabet, and their home planet Koppai is part of Nintendo's original name, Nintendo Koppai.

While the original Pikmin games appeared to take place on a future Earth where mankind has gone extinct, Pikmin 3 seems to take place even further into the future. Though the game takes place in Koppai's year "20XX," the landmasses appear to be positioned in a way that plate tectonics predict will occur in around 250 million years. The first level takes place in "East Asia", which is now tundra, the second in "Antarctica," which is jungle, and the third in "Australia," the latter two of which have collided.

Pikmin 3 expands upon its predecessors in some pretty logical ways, but the new characters and story could open some interesting new avenues. Even in the early levels, it was pretty clear the solving puzzles will require a range of coordination and multitasking activities and I'm exciting to see what else it will bring.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline PabloY

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pikmin 3 Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
Man, I really want this so bad.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
Wait!!! The GamePad has an integrated sensor bar??? So why can't we play wii games without a tv???
I thought that wasn't possible because most wii games need the sensor bar (as least to get the game started) That stinks it would be really awesome to play Wii games on the GamePad only.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »
No, it's because the Wii firmware doesn't know how to communicate with the GamePad.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
I apologise if this has already been stated elsewhere, but does the game resemble Pikmin 2 in terms of it's underground areas? In other words, are they still level based and are they still randomly generated?
Gouge away.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Don't know, didn't get to play beyond the initial few stages.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Keebler

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:01 AM »
I really liked the article and created a new thread in the forum if anyone wants to talk about it....thanks

Offline RagnaBlade

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »
I'm so excited for this... I am a huge fan of the series, and finally getting a new installment, with a few new additions really gets me pumped. The idea of using juice to keep the time tension of the original but leaving the game open like Pikmin 2 is interesting, and I hope it works out because I think it sounds promising.

I cannot wait!
Sand will cover this place. Sand will cover you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
the guys seem to have different occupations, is it set up so that each one has different abilitys such as maybe Captain Charlie is better at commanding Pikmin in battle(boosting their stats) Alph the engineer is better at building stuff and destroying obstacles, while Brittany the botanist's group is better at getting more pikmin from the onion ships(and boosts their ability to carry stuff)

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
No, it's because the Wii firmware doesn't know how to communicate with the GamePad.

Not today, but if they wanted to put the development time into it they could update the Wii firmware on the Wii U to communicate with the GamePad