Author Topic: Top 10 3DS Games: Two Years and Counting  (Read 25451 times)

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
Re: Top 10 3DS Games: Two Years And Counting
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
People complain about too much Mario, but when the range and quality of experience is as great as what's found in 3D Land (I'm with J.P. on this one...   fantastic game, under-appreciated) and NSMB2 (my most-played 3DS game: Coin Rush + StreetPassin' had me getting 1,000,000 coins and still going), then I'm okay with Mr. Video having his face on as many games as they want.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
Well, now I'm definitely O-U-T out!

I wonder if other surprises await, or if they're getting them out of the way early?

What's tomorrow's selection? Dress to Play: Cute Witches?

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:03 PM »
Mario kart 7 is a lot of fun to play, especially on world wides.  Mario kart games have never been about the single player.  Though I wish the kart pieces looked more fitting together......
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Mario 3D Kart is a lot of fun to play, especially on world wides.  Mario kart games have never been about the single player.  Though I wish the kart pieces looked more fitting together......
again, it is not a portable game at all, even if it's on a portable system...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Mario 3D Kart is a lot of fun to play, especially on world wides.  Mario kart games have never been about the single player.  Though I wish the kart pieces looked more fitting together......

I disagree that it's not a portable game. I've brought that game to several family events, found a WIFI connection, and have given it to my younger cousins to keep them occupied. Hell, I have even got a few local multiplayer games in the cinema while waiting for a movie to start. It's such a great 'pick up and play' game.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »

I disagree that it's not a portable game. I've brought that game to several family events, found a WIFI connection, and have given it to my younger cousins to keep them occupied. Hell, I have even got a few local multiplayer games in the cinema while waiting for a movie to start. It's such a great 'pick up and play' game.
yes but lets ignore multiplayer because frankly, that is not what portable gaming is usually about, whats left?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
yes but lets ignore multiplayer because frankly, that is not what portable gaming is usually about, whats left?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or dumb.
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »

You have obviously never played Mario Kart DS, even the single player is very good in it and is one of the best DS games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »

You have obviously never played Mario Kart DS, even the single player is very good in it and is one of the best DS games.

Or Monster Hunter.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »

I have played the DS game but maybe you should realize we are talking about Mario_Kart_7... and what single player is there to speak of?

EDIT: Take that crimm and your internet censorship

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
You were starting to talk about portable games in general? I haven't gotten Mario Kart 7 yet, but Mario Kart DS had great single player. The Mission Mode was really fun, and Nintendo even added bots for stuff like Battle Mode (so you could play the mode even without other people).

Also, if you want Mario Kart 7 to show up under that name instead of Mario 3D Kart, turn off the Filter (which blurs out curse words).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
You were starting to talk about portable games in general? I haven't gotten Mario 3D Kart yet, but Mario Kart DS had great single player. The Mission Mode was really fun, and Nintendo even added bots for stuff like Battle Mode (so you could play the mode even without other people).

Also, if you want Mario 3D Kart to show up under that name instead of Mario 3D Kart, turn off the Filter (which blurs out curse words).
and 7 gives you none of that, just an unbalanced GP, time trials, and the forementioned battle mode with barely any stages

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
HELL YEAH. Resident Evil: Revelations. Great game. Better than Super Mario 3D Land, too. I hope that means we won't be seeing 3D Land on the list!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
HELL YEAH. Resident Evil: Revelations. Great game. Better than Super Mario 3D Land, too. I hope that means we won't be seeing 3D Land on the list!

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you dead inside?
Gouge away.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
3D Land sucks.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
I haven't played ten 3DS games yet so I'll just say my favourite so far is Luigi's Mansion 2. It's a bit disappointing as a sequel to Luigi's Mansion since it didn't really expand on the concepts and has much less exploration, but it's still a solid game in its own right, and I've also been addicted to the multiplayer for some reason.

As for this list, I just hope that Super Mario 3D Land is on it. It has some problems, but it's certainly a better game than NSMB2. I don't have enough experience with the other stuff on the list, but I don't feel like NSMB2 will be on my top ten list after I play more than ten games.

I also predict Mario Kart VII will show up somewhere, though I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it doesn't.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
Mario K@rt 7? :D
i'm sorry i had to, it is way to much fun to sidestep crimms hatred of the games name...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
It's not hatred, it was put in when we didn't know the name of the game. So when the game did come out, some people hated the name so much that Crimm decided to have fun and make it so that anyone that has the profanity filter on (which you obviously do) will see the name as "Mario 3D Kart" whenever someone writes the correct name. If you have the filter turned off, you just see the correct name.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you dead inside?
Honestly, there's a number of reasons I think 3D Land is trash, and I'm going to stand by them. The control scheme is atrocious, the levels further promote this ridiculous idea of 3D Linear Platforming, which is just broken by nature. The difficulty curve is nonexistent and the choice of adding Shadow Mario to the endgame of the Secret Levels was a bland and boring choice. The visuals are even less charming than New Super Mario Bros., the Tanooki suit is overused and cheaply so, there's a run button, the physics feel stiff, and the music sucks.

I get that it's all my opinion, but I honestly don't see how people could enjoy such a short, uninspired, and obviously rushed game. It's like, everything wrong with modern Mario in one game.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 01:02:39 AM »
Honestly, there's a number of reasons I think 3D Land is trash, and I'm going to stand by them. The control scheme is atrocious, the levels further promote this ridiculous idea of 3D Linear Platforming, which is just broken by nature. The difficulty curve is nonexistent and the choice of adding Shadow Mario to the endgame of the Secret Levels was a bland and boring choice. The visuals are even less charming than New Super Mario Bros., the Tanooki suit is overused and cheaply so, there's a run button, the physics feel stiff, and the music sucks.

I get that it's all my opinion, but I honestly don't see how people could enjoy such a short, uninspired, and obviously rushed game. It's like, everything wrong with modern Mario in one game.

Interesting reasons. What is it about the controls that you don't like? I know you mention disliking the choice of implementing a "run" button, but to me it seems like a smarter design choice that would better fit the more limited movement of the circle pad. Other than that, I don't remember it controlling much different than other 3D Mario platformers.

I'm not sure that I understand how 3D linear platforming is broken by nature. I'd say it works quite well in the Galaxy games. Both games require you to make it from point A to point B while avoiding or overcoming obstacles. Comparatively, I agree that it doesn't reach the level of imagination found in some other 3D Mario games, and sure, the music could have been better, but I wouldn't call it uninspired, as the levels still exhibit a lot of creativity. The Shadow Mario mechanic was tacked on and one of the less enjoyable aspects of the game, but as far as it being short, it took me about 16 hours to 100% my save file.

I found Super Mario 3D Land to be enjoyable to the very end, and while not extremely hard, the challenge did ramp up as I progressed through the game. Everyone's experience is different, though. You may not think it's great and its presentation may not knock your socks off, but I don't honestly see how people can deny that its a good game. To refer to Super Mario 3D Land as "trash" gives me the impression that that person only plays "AAA" titles and that Super Mario 3D Land would therefore merely be "AA".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:04:49 AM by Retro Deckades »

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
Super Mario 3D land was nice but.........  I did not like the forced perspective in stages.  Why have a camera to look around when you really cant look around?  Some of the 3d tricks were cool, but they didn't occur often enough.  And the final final stage in secret world was the most dissapointing level of the entire game.  Not how i would want the game to end on a sour note.

NSMB2 was cool and I liked the coin rush mode to challenge other players on their coin counts, but setting the limit to 30,000 when some stages you can get way more was disappointing.
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
Super Mario 3D land was nice but.........  I did not like the forced perspective in stages.  Why have a camera to look around when you really cant look around?  Some of the 3d tricks were cool, but they didn't occur often enough.  And the final final stage in secret world was the most dissapointing level of the entire game.  Not how i would want the game to end on a sour note.

NSMB2 was cool and I liked the coin rush mode to challenge other players on their coin counts, but setting the limit to 30,000 when some stages you can get way more was disappointing.
if the special stages weren't just rehashes of the regular ones with shadow mario it would be my number 1, some stages are done in ineresting ways but still...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
This might be controversial for proponents of Super Mario World and Super Mario 64, but I think Super Mario 3D Land is probably my 4th favourite Mario game behind SMB3 (1), Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2) and Super Mario Galaxy (3).

Having a fixed perspective allowed EAD Tokyo to construct levels which retain the sense of purpose and focus of the original Super Mario Bros series while also introducing the level of depth that was first demonstrated with Super Mario 64 and later refined by Super Mario Galaxy.

Super Mario 3D Land approached the history of Mario with a playful knowingness, while also managing to feel fresh. Without the semi-fixed camera angle 3D Land would not have been capable of playing with the tropes of the series in the way that it did. Simple things, like the fact that the 'tile bridge' in 2-2 actually briefly breaks out of the game world and loops back around (01 min 10 sec), gave me little jolts of joy.

For me Super Mario 3D Land was Nintendo at it's best; referencing what came before while also giving it a completely different context. 3D Land was an absolute delight.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
That's not all that controversial compared to me calling Mario 3D Land the greatest game of all time earlier in the thread.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent