Author Topic: Top 10 3DS Games: Two Years and Counting  (Read 25355 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 3DS Games: Two Years and Counting
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 02:07:10 AM »
Luigi's Mansion brought a smile to my face throughout. It was just so damn charming. I did think, however, that after the third Mansion the mechanics were losing steam (clearly the designers agreed, because the last two mansions are significantly shorter than the preceding three). Had the game been any longer I think it would have reflected badly on the game, but as it is I think Luigi's Mansion is a great title; for me perhaps it isn't 'top 3 good', but it would definitely be in my top 10.

*If Crashmo doesn't come in at number 2 or 1, you people are all crazy.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:09:50 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »
crashmo better not come in because pushmo is already on the list...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »

I love Pushmo as much as the next guy, but it's sequel is superior in just about every way. Crashmo is without a doubt one of the best games on the 3DS. To not have it on the list simply because it's precursor is, would in my eyes be absurd.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:24 AM »

I love Pushmo as much as the next guy, but it's sequel is superior in just about every way. Crashmo is without a doubt one of the best games on the 3DS. To not have it on the list simply because it's precursor is, would in my eyes be absurd.
I'm not arguing with that i'm saying i would rather not have the sequel to a game already on the list on the list as well...

honestly would it be that hard to go for a top 25

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »

I'm not arguing with that i'm saying i would rather not have the sequel to a game already on the list on the list as well...

Our minds must work very differently, lol.

If Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are considered to be amongst the top 10 Wii games, then surely they should both be represented on a top 10 list, no? You don't leave something off the list simply because another game in that series already occupies a spot.

All of which is theoretical, because we don't yet know if the folks putting this list together have the good taste to recognise one of the best puzzle games ever made when they see it.  :P

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:32:48 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline beta4attack

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
Whaaaa...? No KH3D?  :-\

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
its called mention them together, in one spot, as a tie

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »
its called mention them together, in one spot, as a tie

Even if they're not a tie? Even if one game is better than the other? That don't make a lick of sense.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »
Uprising?... :confused;

You people are off your rocker.
Gouge away.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2013, 12:31:49 AM »
My ten would be like this (no one cares, but I like lists lol):

In no order:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Mario Kart 7
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Pushmo
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »

I know, right?..

It should be number 1.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:15 AM »

I know, right?..

It should be number 100.

FIXED.

You made a typo and left some zeros off that. Don't worry, PixPix has you covered.
Gouge away.

Offline beta4attack

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2013, 06:55:15 AM »
I don't understand all that hate for Uprising, it's one of the best 3DS games so far, imho. I don't know why you guys hate it so much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2013, 07:12:39 AM »
people are still bent up over the controls. put 3d land at number one and watch the thread burn

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »
I don't understand all that hate for Uprising, it's one of the best 3DS games so far, imho. I don't know why you guys hate it so much.

I'm mostly joking because I know some people adore that game. Uprising was in my opinion a good game undermined by some serious problems. The controls issues were perhaps the most egregious, but they weren't the only problems I had with the game.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:26:16 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
The controls are just one half of the issue, the second is the forced use of a single weapon for two almost diametrically opposing types of gameplay with very little over lap. The air portions is just a straight up shooter, pick a weapon that fires fast, far and hard. Ground combat varied from melee to long range, meaning if you took a melee weapon you would be boned for the air stage while only half-boned on the ground where you slaughtered anything that got close.

It was a blindingly bad design decision that would have been solved if you could have switched to a second weapon. I wouldn't call it hate, it was a massive disappointment with a large helping on WTFness of game design. If I had ten games to list, it wouldn't be on the list or last.

There is a great game in there, but this is how you go about racking up medical bills for mangled hands.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 3DS Games: Two Years And Counting
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land does not deserve to be on the top ten list, as it is a piece of trash.
Super Mario 3D land was nice but.........  I did not like the forced perspective in stages.  Why have a camera to look around when you really cant look around?  Some of the 3d tricks were cool, but they didn't occur often enough.  And the final final stage in secret world was the most dissapointing level of the entire game.  Not how i would want the game to end on a sour note.
HELL YEAH. Resident Evil: Revelations. Great game. Better than Super Mario 3D Land, too. I hope that means we won't be seeing 3D Land on the list!

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you dead inside?
Honestly, there's a number of reasons I think 3D Land is trash, and I'm going to stand by them. The control scheme is atrocious, the levels further promote this ridiculous idea of 3D Linear Platforming, which is just broken by nature. The difficulty curve is nonexistent and the choice of adding Shadow Mario to the endgame of the Secret Levels was a bland and boring choice. The visuals are even less charming than New Super Mario Bros., the Tanooki suit is overused and cheaply so, there's a run button, the physics feel stiff, and the music sucks.

I get that it's all my opinion, but I honestly don't see how people could enjoy such a short, uninspired, and obviously rushed game. It's like, everything wrong with modern Mario in one game.
Nah, it's trash. Dismiss my opinions as opinions all you'd like, when a game reeks of unfinished polish, such as its art style and reused assets, it's a bit jarring. Why would I ever feel good about buying a game that feels this lazy?

3D platforming isn't broken when it doesn't rely on fixed camera angles so that you can accurately analyze and approach your obstacles. Also, 3D platforming isn't broken when it encourages the use of all three dimensions, and isn't... you know, LINEAR. Unfortunately, Super Mario Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 3D Land have all essentially do just that. You may call it "purpose and focus" or a "level of depth" but all of that can be accomplished without fixed camera angles!

Mario continues to disappoint me as a character whose games had soul and creativity which has been stripped away for level gimmicks and bland consistency. I've gone from loving exploration and experimentation to hating the specific approach more recent games have forced me to take. I don't want to see another Tanooki suit when I boot up another level- how many times have I been forced to sit through its inclusion? It's not charming, it's annoying. I can at least accept Mario staples that set the stage for how the game will be played, but I don't need it shoving poorly-thought-out level gimmicks and the like down my throat. This is why I am happy to say that I enjoy and recommend games like Sticker Star over 3D Land- at least the exploration and creativity is high in the former and doesn't feel like the same-old, same-old.

Okay, I'll stop pestering everyone now. I don't believe I've called any of your opinions absurd, and I certainly haven't said any of you are "dead inside" because of how you feel about the  game- I don't think 3D Land is worthy of praise and I will state the reasons why. Is that wrong?
Let me just say this about the fixed camera concept- framing the action is all well-and-good, but the thing that truly aggravates me is the idea of having a fixed frame that moves independently from the player when the camera is no longer framing a scene. This means jumps are often leaps of faith because the camera refuses to move with you because its focused on the last "clever" framing opportunity it wanted to focus on. And of course, the only way to create a safety net for yourself is by wearing a Tanooki suit. That's not good design- again- in my opinion. It punishes creativity and experimentation, doesn't establish a proper sense of flow. and forces you along a rather boring path.

I'm also just going to say, the Circle Pad is unresponsive on the whole, the run button is really not necessary since you have to run through every damn level because of those stupid time limits (yeah, yeah, I know... the most 3D 2D Mario ever so it has to have time limits!), and the concept of jumping in 3D space is hindered by the unforgiving difference between a running jump and a non-running jump. The inability to truly set a direction with ease means most of the powerups cannot be aimed, which means they're essentially useless. But at least you have that wonderful AoE Tanooki Suit.

NOW I'm done. Opinions, man. They suck.

oh.. there go the dams

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm raging pretty hard right now.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
First of all,
Thanks for giving Theatrhythm some love it's in my #3, but I haven't played all the games in this top ten (for example I haven't played Luigi's Mansion yet and I just barely got Kid Icarus so I don't yet know what I'll think of that one) so it's possible that if I had played them all I'd also have Theatrhythm in the same spot.

This thought brings out my curiousity. I think you should do a poll to see how many of your readers have played all of the games in your 3DS top 10. Or even better, what if your poll said "How many of the games in our top ten have you played?" with the options from 0-10. I'm very interested in seeing the results from a poll like this.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »

This thought brings out my curiousity. I think you should do a poll to see how many of your readers have played all of the games in your 3DS top 10. Or even better, what if your poll said "How many of the games in our top ten have you played?" with the options from 0-10. I'm very interested in seeing the results from a poll like this.

In my case I've played 7/10. The ones I have not played being Miracle Mask, Theatrhythm and RE: Revelations. That's not necessarily a reflection on the quality of those three games. I'm burnt out on Layton, I don't really have a longstanding relationship with Final Fantasy, and I've never really enjoyed the Resident Evil series. In other words, those thee games just aren't my cup of tea.
Gouge away.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »
This was an awful list. :(

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
Awfully good, yes!

I'd have put Kid Icarus in 1 and 3D land just below Luigi at 3, but I can see the merits and reasoning.
And Mutant Mudds would be kicked off entirely. These staff votes forfeit the right for us to complain about the end results when we each put our favourites into the hat. That's just how voting goes...
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
Anyone who wouldn't include Mutant Mudds shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2013, 01:47:07 AM »
Anyone who wouldn't include Mutant Mudds shouldn't be allowed to live.

Fixed.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »
i haven't played the full game so