Author Topic: Miyamoto Thinks Wii U-to-3DS Connectivity Could Be Too Complicated  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile

Nintendo is interested in thinking up ways to utilize both systems. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32383

Nintendo is "thinking of the possibility of connecting Wii U and Nintendo 3DS once again," but it might be too complicated because all the different screens, according to Shigeru Miyamoto in an interview with IGN.

Miyamoto elaborated: "Of course we are thinking of the possibility of connecting Wii U and Nintendo 3DS once again," Miyamoto said. "But we have challenged connectivity on many occasions, and one of the great lessons we have learned is the simple fact that those who own both are much fewer than those who don’t own both. So what we decided early on when considering the Wii U design was that we had to make it so that every single purchaser of the Wii U is going to have the same play conditions, the same equipment."

Connectivity between a Wii U and Nintendo 3DS could become too complicated because of the number of screens. 

Miyamoto went on to explain "If we are going to do that with Wii U and 3DS, there would be three screens to consider. The reason why we were not so eager to do a similar thing between Wii and DS is that it would have become very complicated using two screens on the DS and one screen on the Wii. But of course we are trying to think about a way to expand the experience of 3DS and Wii U when they are connected with each other, one way or the other."

Nintendo has previously featured connectivity between its systems, most recently in the Nintendo DS and Wii. The things you could do while connecting your systems were added benefits to owning both systems.

Only time will tell what features will be accessible to owners of both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.

Offline TooManyToasters

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto Thinks Wii U-to-3DS Connectivity Could Be Too Complicated
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Meh, they've already got connectivity elements from Gamecube working on both Wii U and 3DS, and without the need of another system.  They need not bother. :D

A 3D slider for a redesigned Gamepad might be nice though.  :-\

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
This seems like the kind of thing they should do with eShop games. Small budget games that can survive on sales from the limited number of people who own both systems. The best elements of connectivity on the GameCube (aka Pac Man Vs.) can already be done with just the GamePad, though, and between that and online gameplay there isn't too much of a need to do that much in this field. Still, it'd be nice if they experimented a bit with it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
I'm tired of nintendo saying things are too complicated.  It makes them look weak, honestly.  "Yeah we wanted to do online in pikmin, but we couldn't figure it out.  It was too complicated." 

Fine, if it's honestly too complicated to fit within your budget/target, then don't do it, but don't say that it was too complicated!  It makes it sound like having some smarter people on your team could have solved it, but you didn't have anyone smart enough.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »
Translation: This will not have mass-market appeal, so we don't find it within our best interestes to invest heavily into such a feature.

Can't say I would blame them if true.  This isn't a feature I would expect many to utilize.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
I'm tired of nintendo saying things are too complicated.  It makes them look weak, honestly.  "Yeah we wanted to do online in pikmin, but we couldn't figure it out.  It was too complicated." 

Fine, if it's honestly too complicated to fit within your budget/target, then don't do it, but don't say that it was too complicated!  It makes it sound like having some smarter people on your team could have solved it, but you didn't have anyone smart enough.

They're not saying it's too complicated to implement, they're saying they believe people would find such mechanics too complicated. They're not making themselves look dumb, they're just calling the people who buy their products dumb.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
"But we have challenged connectivity on many occasions"

You hear that Connectivity crew? Miyamoto is calling you out!

Joking aside, I'm not sure I agree with his assessment. Afterall, were the 3DS to act as an interface for the Wii U then wouldn't those people using a 3DS really only be looking at their own two screens rather than the larger TV one? Sure, if one person had to use a 3DS in conjunction with the TV screen then that might get a little hectic, but I don't think that's what most people are thinking of when they speak about Wii U/3DS connectivity.

In fact, the kind of connectivity that I would really like to see between the two systems is that of shared content rather than simultaneous play. I don't particularly want to use my 3DS to interface with the Wii U, what I would find far more appealing would be for both platforms to have a shared profile and for me to be able to access my Virtual Console library on either. That's never going to happen with Nintendo, I know, but I'd be pretty happy if Nintendo were to take a leaf out of Sony's book in regards to that particular issue.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:09:16 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
You're never going to see cross-play for Virtual Console, even if and when they move to a centralized account system. But hey, they seem to be doing that with the Monster Hunter games. MH3U has at least some degree of sync between the Wii U and 3DS versions.

J.P. Corbran

Offline PogueSquadron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »
Isn't there a possibility though, that Nintendo will start to see sales fall off on certain kinds of games moving forward? If they feel like people aren't going to double dip, I feel like there's a possibility they could say "Ok, if you pay us a flat fee of $15, you can access your VC games across the console and handheld."

Ok, well, maybe it's not possible, but I wish they'd just do something like that already. I would do that in a heartbeat, and have absolutely zero plans to double dip on VC games.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
Indirectly he is also saying the PS3/PS4+Vita combo will just never work out. As he puts it Those who own both are much fewer than those who don't own both

I can see 3DS connectivity used for some trivial multiplayer shenanigans but nothing game changing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
Isn't there a possibility though, that Nintendo will start to see sales fall off on certain kinds of games moving forward? If they feel like people aren't going to double dip, I feel like there's a possibility they could say "Ok, if you pay us a flat fee of $15, you can access your VC games across the console and handheld."

Ok, well, maybe it's not possible, but I wish they'd just do something like that already. I would do that in a heartbeat, and have absolutely zero plans to double dip on VC games.

The best I can see is some kind of discount for having already bought them on another platform, but I feel like that would probably piss people off even more than just charging twice, so I really don't expect anything to come of it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
Too complicated? It's this kind of attitude which is the cause of Japan falling back and companies like Apple are soaring.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Too complicated? It's this kind of attitude which is the cause of Japan falling back and companies like Apple are soaring.
In general the United States will Plow the frontier.  Then not be able to really capitalize on it and Japan will take those innovations refine them into viable products and resale them to the US.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »
Whenever Miyamoto talks now he doesn't sound like the guy who used to be the most influencial and important game designer in the world but rather like what he, like almost everybody, has become - an old man that likes things safe and simple.  "Too complicated"?!  This is the same company that was fine switching from 2D side-scrolling to full 3D with analog stick control and buttons dedicated to a fucking camera.  I can't think of anything that was more unfamiliar to gamers at the time and yet it worked out fine and was successful (though with NSMB being so popular and the Wii's focus on "lapsed gamers" perhaps Nintendo now thinks that Super Mario 64 turned too many people away).

Nintendo shouldn't do it if they can't come up with a good reason to do it but they shouldn't rule it out completely either.  I remember when Miyamoto and, hell, Nintendo as a videogame company (their playing card days don't count here obviously) was young and hungry.  But nowadays this is too hard or that's too confusing for you, our stupid userbase.  Nintendo has just grown old before I have.  I still want something ambitious and groundbreaking and they want safe sequels and inclusive unintimidating casual fare.  Miyamoto is my mom's age so obviously there is going to be a generational gap here.  Still feels like feels like over the last decade I aged 10 years while Nintendo's target demographic went up 20.

Of course it could just be the wording.  "Too complicated" is SUCH a wimpy way to say it but if he said "with the Gamepad I don't see as much need for 3DS connectivity" that would sound rather practical.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
If you read the interview, Miyamoto doesn't say they won't still do the connectivity, he just says it may appear too complicated for some.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 07:13:41 AM »
If you read the interview, Miyamoto doesn't say they won't still do the connectivity, he just says it may appear too complicated for some.

It basically means they'll do it for one or two games, and we'll never see it again.

~~~

Nintendo could do something as simple as what Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is doing with the cloud syncing. I love the fact I'll be able to do some solo missions with my file on my 3DS when I'm away from home, then come home, transfer the save file and play online with friends. That game is my system seller for both the 3DS and Wii U, along with MH4 as well. There is no reason Nintendo can't copy this at the bare minimum.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
Suggesting that your users are too dumb to deal with connecting two systems is maddening. Jesus christ Nintendo, get it together.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:49:46 AM »
There's no technical reason why 2 wireless devices couldn't talk to each other if they're capable of transmitting and receiving.  Considering that both devices are made by the same company, performing the same or complimentary functions, not doing so at launch seems like a way to snuff out potential good uses early on. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
It's funny to read this thread, then remember all the crying and anger towards Nintendo for pushing GCN/GBA Connectivity.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »
It's funny to read this thread, then realize all the people are reacting to the out-of-context Headline which has little to do with Miyamoto's actual quote.

And to Ian Sane's point, I'm not sure that a zero-latency streaming controller with a screen is as safe and unambitious as you're implying. I get what you're saying...   but their decisions still seem plenty bold to me. Hell, even attempting to go after the "casual" market in the first place was a bold, risky move. Placating long-time fans to diminishing returns would be the safer (and less successful) route, in my opinion.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
It's funny to read this thread, then remember all the crying and anger towards Nintendo for pushing GCN/GBA Connectivity.

I think the bigger beef at the time was that Nintendo was pushing connectivity as a REPLACEMENT for online play.  That was just ridiculous.  The two biggest connectivity games were also multiplayer focused which had an insane cost requirement and, again, the OBVIOUS way to implement such a concept was online.  Nintendo clearly wanted to make online games but didn't want to actually go online so we got this unnecessary workaround to simulate the same thing.

Of course the Wii and DS were both online and everyone expected the two systems to connect and they never did.  It seems that once it was clear that Nintendo was online for real and that connectivity would just be its own seperate concept, there was more interest in it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Did Nintendo actually push Connectivity as a replacement or substitution for online play, or were they just pushing connectivity while everyone else was pushing online play and the general population got upset over it?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
No they never pushed connectivity as a replacement for Online play.  They did push it as an alternative that allowed more social interaction.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
I can see a lot of fans getting very pissed off because of a game being made that needs four 3DS's and a Wii U, especially if it was their big E3 surprise.

I can also a lot of fans love it, but those that do will never out number the former.

Translation: No mass market appeal.

But is Nintendo saying that you can't go from Wii U to your 3DS? No. Looking at Monster Hunter 3. They're just saying they won't be building any games that require a 3DS to enjoy. Sounds extremely practical, which is unlike Nintendo.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
Did Nintendo actually push Connectivity as a replacement or substitution for online play, or were they just pushing connectivity while everyone else was pushing online play and the general population got upset over it?

Well the E3 that they really pushed connectivity occured around the same time that Nintendo's vague online plans for the Gamecube were revealed to be non-existent.  At the time they were getting asked about not going online and they usually dodged the question by raving about the merits of connectivity.  I don't remember if they outright stated it was a replacement but the truth about them not going online had just come out and here they were pushing something sort of similar with game concepts that were a natural fit for online multiplayer.  At the very least, gamers made the association due to timing and the similarity of the concepts.  Plus connectivity was a bullet point only Nintendo had while online gaming was one Nintendo did not.  So effectively it was a trade off - connectivity instead of online.

In retrospect that online thing was really the turning point for me regarding Nintendo.  I became more and more distrustful of them after that.  They had a modem and broadband adapter for the Cube and talked about some vague online plans any time they got asked about details.  Since all three companies rolled out online plans a few years after launch there was no reason to suspect that Nintendo was not going to go online since the Cube hardware clearly was capable of it and had a few online third party games.  I think they just outright lied to us, knowing all along that they were not going to go online themselves, and waiting as long as possible to reveal that so as to not lose sales.  I don't even really play online, it was just the principle of a company acting in bad faith that upset me.  Nintendo not making online games and not providing any real support for third parties wanting to make their own online titles is something that every Gamecube early adopter would have taken into consideration regarding their purchase if they knew about it.  It was blatantly dishonest to withhold that information.