Author Topic: Next Smash Bros. Game Has Taken Top Priority at Namco  (Read 10185 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Next Smash Bros. Game Has Taken Top Priority at Namco
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »

The scope of the project is so large that people behind some of Namco's major franchises have stepped in to help.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31021

The next Super Smash Bros. game, which will be a collaborative effort between Nintendo and Namco Bandai, has taken top priority at Namco, Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada confirmed in an interview with NowGamer.

"Obviously it’s a big priority for the company," Harada ellaborates further, "so company-wide there are a lot of people involved with that particular project. Not just from Tekken but a lot of our franchises. "

Hara also explained that the core Tekken team is still working on completing Tekken Tag Tournament 2, but that a great deal of the team is also at work on the next Smash Bros. game. Also, Harada revealed that one of the most popular questions they have received from gamers ever since the game was announced is whether we can expect appearances from Namco Bandai characters.

"We’re not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros, maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn’t want, so I’ve been pulling back on that a bit. But I don’t know."

Namco Bandai's involvement with the game was revealed on June 21 during Nintendo Direct. Series director Masahiro Sakurai will be working with Namco Bandai's developers.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Smash Bros. Game Has Taken Top Priority at Namco
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »
I would like Tekken characters along with a volcano stage to throw people in.

Exciting to see that it is all hands on deck at Namco Bandai for Smash Brothers.

Offline 8bitsdeep

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
I've always found Tekken's character design to be atrocious. I'd be happy if none of those characters make it into the game. Soul Calibur would be better but still a bit odd to me.

Pac-Man and Dig-Dug would be much better choices. Maybe Galaga and Mr. Driller could be stages or assists.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
Pac-Man is the obvious choice even if he's more Mr. Game and Watch than Mario. I would really like to see KOS-MOS due to her being created by Nintendo owned Monolith Soft who also helped develop Brawl. I'm not holding my breath but I think she'd be a cool addition. And I wish Nintendo would attain the rights to Xenosaga and have Monolith Soft finish their series.

I'm not sure who would best represent modern Namco. Heihachi Mishima maybe, but he's already showing up in Sony Smash Bros. Playstation All-Stars if that matters. Nightmare?

Offline ROiDS

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »

I have a mixed feeling about Tekken characters being in Smash Bros., and would rather them to just improve the characters that have the same moves and give them new distinct move sets from their series. As for volcano stage, there's already Norfair.
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

I have a mixed feeling about Tekken characters being in Smash Bros., and would rather them to just improve the characters that have the same moves and give them new distinct move sets from their series. As for volcano stage, there's already Norfair.

Too much like a cave with a lava lake. I need a mountain that fricking explodes!

Offline ROiDS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
Pac-Man is the obvious choice even if he's more Mr. Game and Watch than Mario. I would really like to see KOS-MOS due to her being created by Nintendo owned Monolith Soft who also helped develop Brawl. I'm not holding my breath but I think she'd be a cool addition. And I wish Nintendo would attain the rights to Xenosaga and have Monolith Soft finish their series.

I'm not sure who would best represent modern Namco. Heihachi Mishima maybe, but he's already showing up in Sony Smash Bros. Playstation All-Stars if that matters. Nightmare?

KOS-MOS would be a great addition as well as Shulk from Xenoblade. Nightmare would also be awesome, but I want Mitsurugi or Kilik better :)
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
Give me Klonoa & I'll be happy.
Mission...complete?

Offline Ryadin91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »
How funny would it be if Hiachi from Tekken was in the smash bros game. He's apparently in the new All Stars game for Ps3.
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:11:43 AM »

It'd be Jin Kazama since he's been the main character and face of the Tekken series since Tekken 3.  Sakurai likes to get the hero's in before villians so if a Tekken character would get into Smash Bros, Jin would be that character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Kazama

Tekken series director Katsuhiro Harada has stated that Jin is his favorite character in the overall series alongside Heihachi Mishima as he states that the story fromTekken is written from Jin's perspective because of being the main character. Jin's concept was that of an innocent young kid corrupted with evil powers that would become one of the series' greatest villains as crafted by Harada for ten years.[15] As a result of being introduced as the protagonist in Tekken 3, Jin's movements were made to be balanced so that he would not have neither strong or weak movesets, which caused difficulties in the design of the character.[16] As Jin has no model for his fighting style, several of his karate moves were created by the Tekken staff.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:00:17 AM »
I was more pointing out that Namco doesn't really have like a main mascot like Mario or Sonic. Jin is definitely one of their more recognizable characters though in terms of Tekken characters Heihachi tends to show up more in crossovers/cameos like Soul Calibur II. I agree though that Sakurai does love hero characters. Smash Bros. could definitely use more villains. Besides Ganondorf, every other bad guy either also qualifies as an anti-hero or has teamed up with the good guys.

Semi-related, Capcom doesn't really have a main mascot anymore either. No one really remembers Captain Commando and Mega Man has been thoroughly curb stomped. Chris Redfield maybe though the team way back when said their favorite character was Jill. Perhaps Ryu since Street Fighter's resurgence.

Anyway, I would be super surprised if Pac-Man didn't show up as playable (along with the ghosts Pinky, Blinky, Inky, and Clyde in some capacity). Sounds like Katsuhiro Harada is specifically referring to "puling back" on Tekken characters, like maybe he was suggesting almost an invasion of Tekken until Sakurai raised the pimp hand and told him no. That said, after Pac-Man, zero additional Namco characters at worst, probably two more at best.

EDIT: For anyone who has no idea who this KOS-MOS I was talking about earlier is, this could pretty much be her moveset, even if she spends most of that fight getting her ass kicked by T-elos (4:38 for some pew-pew). Semi-related, I always found it odd that they pronounce KOS-MOS as "cose-mose" when Monolith Soft went so far out of their way to make the acronym look like cosmos.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:20:14 AM by Adrock »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »
Anyway, I would be super surprised if Pac-Man didn't show up as playable (along with the ghosts Pinky, Blinky, Inky, and Clyde in some capacity).

They'll be in his stage attacking the players.  Pac-Man's stage will be a recreation of a stage from the original arcade, similar to the Mario Bros and 75m stage in Brawl.  All they have to do is remove the bottom and top so people can actually be KO'd and it'd work perfectly as a stage.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Next Smash Bros. Game Has Taken Top Priority at Namco
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
I would think that Nintendo ultimately dictates the priority of Smash Bros.  What would be weird about having a Tekken character is that it would be a fighting game character.  The characters of SSB are normally not fighting game characters.  And SSB is a very different fighting game than something like Tekken.  There are already expectations of how a character like Jin plays in a fighting game and it might feel strange to transfer that to the SSB design.

I would find it really weird if Ryu, for example, was in SSB for example because I would expect to be doing quarter circle fireballs and such.  Or Scorpion where I just have to push A and back or something like that to do the spear.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
I would prefer it if Namco's involvement with this game didn't extend to the roster of characters. The only mascot-style character they have is Pac-Man and he doesn't exactly have much to draw upon for a moveset. If a character is added to Smash Bros., they are always more interesting if their attacks are derived from the games they're from.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
if they called smash bros ... Smash Bros: Nintendo vs. Namco

that would be pretty awesome

if they do have tekken soul calibur characters they should limit it to

Mitsurui, Seigfried, cassandra(or Sophitia), taki, yoshimitsu, jin, kuma, heihachi, nina

and of course Pacman should be in there and maybe Clyde, Blinkie, Pinky, and Inky, but only as a different skin for a ghost

dig dug is owned by namco

and Namco/Apple made this thing....

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:26:05 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »
I would prefer it if Namco's involvement with this game didn't extend to the roster of characters. The only mascot-style character they have is Pac-Man and he doesn't exactly have much to draw upon for a moveset. If a character is added to Smash Bros., they are always more interesting if their attacks are derived from the games they're from.

Pac-Man has several adventure games that would easily give him moves from.  So creating a moveset wouldn't be a problem for him.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
There's been a total of two Tekken games ever on Nintendo systems and both were not part of any main series.  Tekken Advance was a poor attempt at getting a fighter on the GBA.  I have heard some good things about Tekken 3D.  However, none have been released on home consoles.  I don't see any reason for Tekken characters to be in Smash Bros.  At least Solid Snake was in Metal Gear and Solid Snake and the GCN remake of Metal Gear Solid.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
Man, Dig Dug WOULD honestly be pretty cool.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Solid Snake was kind of pushing it. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was never ported to NES. Instead we got Snake's Revenge in North America which Konami should never stop apologizing for. Not counting cameos pre-Brawl, Snake was only in a port of the original Metal Gear, a remake of Metal Gear Solid that Nintendo had to jump through a ring of fire and swing over a pit of lions to get made, and Ghost Babel on GBC which was awesome but non-canon and possibly not even real as the entire game may have been a VR mission. He only made it in Brawl because Hideo Kojima practically felated Sakurai to include Snake in the game.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a legitimate (yet non-canon) game landing on Wii U as soon as it can land on Wii U, only 2 months or so after it comes out on PS3/360. If Harada begged Sakurai to include Jin Kazama, we would probably get Jin Kazama. That said, that's probably the only way I'd ever see KOS-MOS in the game. I wonder of Tetsuya Takahashi likes grovelling...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:59:04 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
Yeah I'm still burned by Snake.  A Belmont from the earlier Castlevania would have been better.  In fact we could almost all think of 10 better characters.  I didn't even know there was a Metal Gear game for NES...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
Just give me Dig Dug and Klonoa as playable characters and I'll be happy.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
PacMan could get power pellets and all other characters would turn blue and he could eat them.  Holy hell that would be cool.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »
PacMan could get power pellets and all other characters would turn blue and he could eat them.  Holy hell that would be cool.

That would probably be his Final Smash (hopefully Sakurai is smart enough to keep that item).

I hope they keep the number of Namco Bandai characters to a minimum, like 1 or 2. This is still primarily a Nintendo fighting game, like how Brawl only had 2 non-Nintendo characters.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ryadin91

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
Klonoa is prefect for the Smash Bros. roster!
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 03:05:08 AM »
can we still get simon belmont, alucard, dracula

and megaman?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post