Author Topic: Gamecube Memory Card info  (Read 7074 times)

Gamecube Memory Card info
« on: March 04, 2003, 12:13:18 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has any technical info on the Cube's memory card or how it's connections work?  I remember on the old forums there was once a link to a site for this guy who had hardwired a hard drive to his memory card slot.  I don't want to do anything that extreme, but I can't seem to find any information on anything even close to that.  Anything you kind souls could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Nintendo is my crack.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 12:36:27 PM »
that sounds awesome....anyways

my freind bought me a 16x interact memory card....as expected...it doesnt work worth a shit
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 01:33:39 PM »
You are referring to Yoshi's box. There is a thread in the other systems section on it. You could probablly find a link on how he did it in that thread.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 09:13:59 PM »
found the problem with thte memory card...it overheats when you leave it in the slot...if i take it out for a bit and let it cool i can just put it back in when i need to save.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 09:34:05 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
found the problem with thte memory card...it overheats when you leave it in the slot...if i take it out for a bit and let it cool i can just put it back in when i need to save.

LMFAO!!!!  It's been a while since I have heard that story.  Thanks for the memory.  I had a memory card that would randomly corrupt my save files every now and then, and my friend had the same one.  That was his solution to the problem.  I told him that he was out of his mind if he actually did that while playing a game.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 11:13:33 AM »
depends on the game...but actually... for a game liek smash bros i would never take out the card and put it back in so often...its bound to corrupt...however...it doesnt have a problem with smash bros(for some reaosn it works like marvels for smash bros).......for something like my second animal crossing town its comepletly ok. You have to go through several menus to actually save your memory card giving you time to be very careful with it. Also resident evil...you have to find damn ink and a damn type writer.... \

i fidn it dandy to have a second town...it allows me to corrupt my new town and make my original mroe glorious.

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 09:34:10 PM »
Speaking of Memory Cards, does Interact's 16X Memory Card wark good?  I have about 6 games that need savin but all I have is a Memory Card 59 (I know I suck, theres no need to point that out).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 05:34:34 AM »
I have one.  It works perfectly with every game I have, except Madden 2003.  Apparently, this is because it doesn't handle large save files properly.

-Angus

Offline appm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 04:11:13 AM »
I've got a 8Mb non-Nintendo memory card; it corrupts pretty much every time I play Burnout 2 - resulting in continuous repeats of the 'training' session. Ok, so I'm getting better as a result, but it's really dull and there are some really good bits deeper in the game that have to be unlocked.
Doesn't happen on any other games, and nothing else seems to be corrupted... plus there's enough blocks free for the Burnout2 save-game.  The game gives the option to delete the file from the memory card, and then it *might* be ok for a while, but only for a while.

Should I dump the card for another, or could it be something else?

APPM

Offline NThumb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 12:53:24 AM »
I never had a problem with any of my meory cards over heating. To be honest I never heard of that happing before. I own the the 251 & 56 cards form Nintendo and I have no problems. I would stay away form all 3rd party hard ware because they usally suck.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 10:45:24 PM »

Originally posted by: NThumb
I never had a problem with any of my meory cards over heating. To be honest I never heard of that happing before. I own the the 251 & 56 cards form Nintendo and I have no problems. I would stay away form all 3rd party hard ware because they usally suck.

Heh.  It was a 3rd party PSX card that I was talking about.  Damn thing sucked ass.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Gamecube Memory Card info
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 05:15:30 PM »
Ive got two 59 cards with 6 games and ive never had anything wrong with them

Offline fred.dec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 11:37:00 PM »
I've got the same pb with burnout2 and a noname 8mb. It seems that the overheat is not the pb in this case.
Any help are welcome !!!

Offline schelfengerch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 10:21:01 PM »
Yesterday I bought burnout2, after a while i couldn't save because of a corrupt save file.
I have a third party memory card but haven't had any problems with  other games...

Offline ReallyScrued

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 06:41:41 AM »
its nintendo, up to its secret plans again, they dreamed that no one buys third party mem cards....now its becomming a reality.....be afraid, be very afraid. they knew it was gonna currupt ur mem card, cuz it doesnt have the big N making it. anyway i have a madcatz mem card that came with a cheap ass controller, worx fine for my games. i never played burnout though/  
ScrUed

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2003, 09:01:36 PM »
I have no problems with my memory cards I just put them in and never touch them again. They are real Nintendo 59 cards and work well I don't see what the problem is in buying real Ncards as they are about the same price.

By the way I'v think if you have 2 cards in all the time the games run better. I don't know why.  

Offline groov

• View Profile
RE:Gamecube Memory Card info
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 01:42:51 PM »
I believe this is a problem with Burnout 2's save handling (PAL).  I get messages of corrupt saves all the time and have to choose 'Delete file' and save again to keep my data.  Only game I've had this problem with.  Lame.

Offline groov

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 12:30:35 PM »
I believe this is a problem with Burnout 2's save handling (PAL).  I get messages of corrupt saves all the time and have to choose 'Delete file' and save again to keep my data.  Only game I've had this problem with.  Lame.

Offline JSasky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 06:19:20 PM »

Originally posted by: The Imperious Leader
I don't suppose anyone has any technical info on the Cube's memory card or how it's connections work?  I remember on the old forums there was once a link to a site for this guy who had hardwired a hard drive to his memory card slot.  I don't want to do anything that extreme, but I can't seem to find any information on anything even close to that.  Anything you kind souls could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Yo!

If you are serious about finding some specs on the MC you will need to take it apart.  I am pretty sure the memory card uses a flash IC, mostly likely a serial flash IC.  After taking it apart find the flash IC and take note of the letter and number combination written on the IC.  Do a search of that part number on google and see what comes up.  You might get lucky and get a spec sheet on the IC and using that be able to figure out all of the inputs and O/P of the card.

You might have better luck taking apart a 3rd party MC as they might use a more common/generic flash IC.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

'Take a wiff of my pant leg baby!'
-Blues Explosion

Offline Shadow Link

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2003, 03:30:03 AM »
I own the following

-Official Nintendo GameCube Memory card 59
-Official Nintendo GameCube Memory card 251

Ive had the 59 scince launch and the 251 scince october last year and I havent had a single problem with either.

I also remember hearing that the 251 is somewhere near 1800kb in file space but I may be incorrect.

Offline TheDisturbedOne

• View Profile
RE: Gamecube Memory Card info
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2003, 09:51:52 AM »
My Burnout 2 saves are all safe and sound on my memory card 59. the 3rd party card has an AC town on it, its slower than death. For the money buy a 251 its only like 5 dollars more than the 59.
CHEESE!

Offline phreak97

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 10:44:58 PM »
what were you all thinking??? who the hell even looks at a 3rd party mc let alone buys one??? dont you all know there is no such thing as a good 3rd party card? sure there are some which work fine.. for a while, until one day when, oops where did all my data go? i have only ever bought one 3rd party card and i returned it less than an hour after getting it home.

stop using this thread to complain about your crappy cards.. it was made for info on the official cards or using alternate hardware, not so you can all fight over who has the crappyest mc.