Author Topic: Huawei Phone Diplomacy: "Extremely Bad in Nature"  (Read 34099 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Huawei Phone Diplomacy: "Extremely Bad in Nature"
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:07:27 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/huawei-mate-20-x-smartphone-133201110.html

Huawei rolled out a bit of a surprise this week at the tail end of an event meant to reveal two new phones: A third device, a 7.2-inch smartphone, that the company president said is “the best portable mobile gaming machine” on the market, including the Nintendo Switch.

Great name, guys. Here, let me pull out my smartphone game system named the....

**leans over toilet**

**HUGHH-WAAYY**

It currently has zero games because it's not even out yet, and it's already the best mobile system. **wipes chin**

...the phone would also support a gamepad add-on, which clips onto one end of the phone and features a d-pad and thumbstick...

lul can you even Super Monkey Ball on that?

SENSORS
Gravity Sensor
Ambient Light Sensor
Proximity Sensor
Gyroscope
Compass

Fingerprint Sensor, Hall sensor, laser sensor, Barometer, Infrared sensor, colour temprature sensor

It can point you right back to the store so you can get a refund and use the money to buy a 3DS, which has buttons and almost 15 years' worth of games. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:58:21 PM by Lanky in the Sky with Diamonds »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Huawei In Over Their Heads For Gaming / Phones / Business
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:48:49 AM »
You forgot the best part, it costs $1000.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
As a user of a Huawei cellphone right now, I'll be jumping back to the Galaxy Note as soon as it's financially feasible (so Boxing Day). I'm _sure_ gonna buy their boondoggle for games.  :rolleyes:
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
Huawei is probably the worst major-ish smartphone manufacturer of them all.

Case and point: they were behind the Nexus 6P, a phone that is literally held together by woodworking joints.

for BNM

for BNM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:19:35 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »
Damn, that is some snap, crackle and pop. LOL at the comments missing the point. That thing has some serious reproducible structural flaws.

I am still running with my iPhone 5s and it is a tank. I never had a case on it. It's slid face first on pavement. Slung 5 meters on to wood. Slept on. Dropped, intentionally repeatedly thrown onto soft furniture and the carpeted floor. The only damage has been small gouges on the rounded corners and one of the back face panels got a little lose which got fixed by pressing it back in like it never happened. People have asked why I don't have a case and I tell them I didn't buy it just so I can make it bigger.

On a more gaming related note, my Sister's birthday is coming up and she asked for some games. I hit the web to see where I could buy them and realised why she asked me to buy them. The damn things are rare as hens teeth in physical format. I went to EBgames because they were the only place that had them listed as available. Visit/call the store and nope, what a bunch of useless tossers. Not only that for some damn reason the price of the item changed midday?!

So if she wants them she will have to get them from the e-shop. She is getting cash.

As for the e-shop I didn't go there first because Nintendo's website listed it as physical only as the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The website is meh so I just booted my own 3DS to look for it. Nintendo really sucks online.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
Well to be fair to Huawei, the phone is much more powerful than the Switch. The Snapdragon 845 has had the Tegra X1 beat for a while - especially considering the Switch's downclocked CPU and GPU. Hell, the Snapdragon 835 most likely outperforms the Switch as well. Having said that, it will never have the games that the Switch has (except Fortnite), so it doesn't even matter.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
I am still running with my iPhone 5s and it is a tank.
I've stuck with the BlackBerry Priv myself. I should probably get the battery replaced on it but overall it's in really good condition. The volume keys died on it a while back but I got around that by mapping the right shift and $ keys on the keyboard to control the volume. Whenever I get the battery replaced i'll probably try to get that fixed though. I picked up a relatively slim case for it that adds a kickstand.

There's also something really amusing about having a phone with a sliding keyboard in a day and age where a certain other fruit company can't seem to find the room to put a headphone jack on their phone because they had the courage to sell us dongles instead.

Hey Khush, can we get this cell phone tangent split off into it's own thing?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 06:28:49 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
I am not going to give Huawei the benefit of doubt. It is 100% a marketing coattail. You see this kind of garbage all the time where they will associate themselves to a successful product via name drop. Meat for the press and investors to obfuscate that it's just another phone just like the last one.

A video game variant would be "XYZ game killer". Think of how many of those actually matched that boast. I can't think of one, if anything they all failed. "$1000 phone is a Switch killer!!", yeah and I am the Queen.

There is a cellphone thread somewhere, if it is not worth bumping you could dump it into the Apple thread...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
Hey Khush, can we get this cell phone tangent split off into it's own thing?

What do you want it called? Reggie should get first crack at the name since he started this tangent.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »
I would've put it in a console wars thread but I don't know where to find the things
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 11:11:01 PM »
Well, I could move it into Phil's Happy Mobile Gaming Thread

That's already in General Gaming and could serve as a better source for mobile gaming news if you want to keep this under one discussion. I'd have thought a separate thread like "Huawei is the 2022 Leader of Gaming" could work also.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 04:19:04 AM »
A separate Huawei would be overkill. Almost all single new article threads die very quickly leaving a corpse to be shoved into page 2.

That thread could work, but a phone is a phone is a phone. It would just pollute the thread which is focused on games.

Here is the Android thread

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=39047.0

Just leave it here in the dead gaming thread. That $1000 slab is DOA as far as gaming goes.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 04:22:27 AM »
A separate Huawei would be overkill. Almost all single new article threads die very quickly leaving a corpse to be shoved into page 2.

I got no problem with that. It's much easier to find past posts and information in small threads that came and went that big mega threads that stretch for years.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 04:55:29 AM »
Your call at the end of the day. They all have their trade offs.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:03 AM »
I'm splitting it. Perhaps the Huawei name will make this thread a beacon to future spambots to come and post here. Plus, I appreciate that a forum user asked me to take care of forum business like this. After all, like Bowser/ette, I get things done around here.

And again, if someone has a better name for the thread, post it and I can change it and get that done also.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
They should have went with N-Gage killer.

Even at $1k, this thing has got to outsell the N-Gage, right?

I haven't read anything about this anywhere else, but I imagine there's been a lot of comments in articles comparing this boondoggle to the damned Nokia phone and some bigwig at Huawei Googled "What is the Nokia N-Gage" and is having a panic attack.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »
Huawei are owned by the Chinese government so they're not in any real danger but they should probably just stick to network infrastructure. This device looks terrible.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 01:34:01 AM »
Governments are rightly banning them from network infrastructure because they are owned by the CCP.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »
I'm all for it....the mass manufacture of it alone will make the price go down for all the parts. I'm not going to buy one. But if they get the price down to 3 cents great.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 10:57:50 PM »
I just remembered that Huawei was the company that got caught faking benchmarks literally a month ago. What fun.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
Our **HUGHH-WAAYY** saga just turned into the next Splinter Cell plotline:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/huawei-cfo-to-appear-in-canada-court-as-chinese-media-slam-arrest/ar-BBQC6KM

A top executive of China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd who is under arrest in Canada is set to appear in a Vancouver court on Friday for a bail hearing as she awaits possible extradition to the United States...The arrest, revealed by Canadian authorities late on Wednesday, was part of a U.S. investigation into an alleged scheme to use the global banking system to evade U.S. sanctions against Iran, people familiar with the probe told Reuters.

"Somehow" this one company is so important that it's mentioned in the same breath as the ongoing US/Chinese diplomatic efforts:

The news roiled global stock markets on fears the move could escalate a trade war between the United States and China after a truce was agreed on Saturday between President Donald Trump and Xi Jinping in Argentina.

Trump did not know about the arrest in advance, two U.S. officials said on Thursday, in an apparent attempt to stop the incident from impeding talks to resolve the trade dispute.

As Oohboy said, the company (and anything connected to that government) can't be trusted:

Huawei, which employs about 1,000 people in Canada, faces intense scrutiny from many Western nations over its ties to the Chinese government, driven by concerns it could be used by Beijing for spying.

Ms Meng is the daughter of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, who was formerly in the People's Liberation Army. (https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/huawei-apos-meng-charged-conspiracy-193519070.html)

Short summary: the US and the axis of despots (Russia, China, etc) try to maintain nice-ish relations under the fig leaf of "business" deals. The AOD uses the business deals to maintain control and attack US interests/support their allies. If caught, the US throws their minions in the clink while letting the big fish walk; then the US uses the business deal as some sort of foreign policy success.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
Re: Huawei Phone Diplomacy: "Extremely Bad in Nature"
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 12:36:30 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-09/china-foreign-ministry-summons-u-s-ambassador-over-huawei

Next cutscene in Splinter Cell: Huawei Five-Oh: China summons its US ambassador in protest.

The minister said U.S. actions have violated the “legitimate rights and interests of Chinese citizens and are extremely bad in nature,” according to a posting on the ministry website.

Sounds like a forum bot wrote that.  ;D

Other articles on this subject can be found by scrolling down that article, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what to do next.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 04:45:15 AM »
There isn't any big mystery as to the next steps. She is having her bail hearing(LOL 7 Passports) then extradition hearing. After that it's a straight trial. She technically isn't getting hit for the Iranian sanctions and more that she committed bank fraud and lied about her involvement with the companies. The fallout on the other hand is something else.

China is throwing up less obvious roadblocks by getting potentially relevant employees/witnesses out of the country.

China diplomacy is a cursed bingo card that bingos every time. Vague barely concealed threats. Victim blaming. False equivalences. 110% lies. "Rule of Law/Human Right'. Police brutality. 5000years. Inalienable. etc, etc. Every bit of anti-diplomacy you can think of it's has been used or they are willing if they could. It's funny reading it a couple of times, then it gets to the point where yeah, they believe in this garbage and you're staring into the void.

This is going to be a better BBQ than a Lithium battery fire.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
Well Huawei apparently got hit with a bunch of fun stuff including being prohibited from using Android because the US signed an executive order prohibiting companies from doing business with them. They have their own Operating System that they've basically had in the backburnner in case this happens but the blacklist likely means that things like Facebook and Instagram won't be able to have Apps for it.