Author Topic: sanity problem in eternal darkness  (Read 16311 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
sanity problem in eternal darkness
« on: February 27, 2003, 04:42:44 PM »
arg.  i was playing eternal darkness and after beating karim's story it appears my game froze and i got a message saying ...

An error has occurred.  Turn the power OFF and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions.

i can't seem to get it unstuck and i think i have to restart my gamecube.  is this just some weird sanity thing or is there really a problem?

*edit*

i just opened up the disc slot on my gamecube and the disc had stopped spinning.  so it appears it was some sort of error, not a sanity affect.  has anyone else experience this problem with e.d. or any other gc game?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Chris150

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 04:48:05 PM »
Yeah that would be a real problem, i don't think they would kid around like that. Everytime i have that problem i open the cover and nudge the reader a little bit, then it works just fine (Although, it might not be the best thing to do to your gamecube).
AC Info:
Town: PsiWater
Name: Chris(space before the C)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 04:48:14 PM »
It should be a sanity effect, but it's odd that it's lasted so long. I've never gotten an ACTUAL error screen, so I wouldn't know what it looked like. If the screen's been up for some time, it most likely is real (sanity effects usually only last a matter of seconds, not minutes) and you will probably have to reset your Gamecube. Sorry if you lose a lot of progress.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
game freezing in eternal darkness
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 05:57:54 PM »
It's a sanity effect.  I have seen it before.  But it should have stopped itself after a few seconds.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 01:10:40 AM »
no its not a sanity effect
if it happens a couple times more that means your disc drive is damage
happened to me had to get me GCN fixed for 80€
LZ 2005

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 06:37:56 AM »
I actually had Eternal Darkness freeze on me a couple of times.  There's some sort of glitch in it where sometimes when you're casting spells and the runes drawn on the floor clip out of the level it croaks.  I can make it repeat this in the hallway before the book room in all 3 church chapters AND in the hallway right before the Greater Guardian.  I'm not EXACTLY sure what causes it, but I think it has to do with the extents of the actual map and it not knowing what coordinates to actually draw the spell effects at.

Offline Toolvana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 08:39:15 AM »
Sorry, it's your GC. I had the same problem with that game and had to get my GC repaired just like Hemmorhoid. I remember one of the PGC guys saying something about Eternal Darkness simultaneously accessing two tracks on the disc which causes more stress on the  GC than other games. Just listen to your GC closely during those damn cutscenes, you can hear the drive going back and forth like crazy.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 05:59:57 PM »
You see? The sanity effects really DO F with you! You can't tell if it's a real problem, or just part of the game!

*ahem* Back to the serious side now....

I've never had any freezing problems with my ED, and my copy of Metroid Prime's only frozen once. I hear that the possibilities of ED freezing is exponentially increased when you have subtitles turned on. Just reset the thing and keep going. Freezing in any 1st-2nd party-made game is largely considered a freak accident.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 10:28:59 PM »
It does freeze. I have been trying to get to level four but now the game cube will not let me advance. I have already let Nintendo and Silicon Knights be aware. So should you. Nintendo@noa.nintendo.com

Offline TheOnionMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2003, 06:16:19 AM »
Thank god I have never ever had a problem with any of the consoles I have ever had .  
Some people are just goobers..

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: game freezing in eternal darkness
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2003, 08:18:43 AM »
I've had an error with GCN sanity effect before but it goes away after like 5 seconds. My GCN has never ever screwed up and I have ED....so can't help you. Just keep your GCN in good condition....Don't scratch discs, and so on.

Offline Meta-Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2003, 08:43:58 AM »
I had a message of that kind when playing in Resident Evil and had to restart .  But my ED never froze.

Offline shocknawe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 07:30:36 PM »
i got the same error tonite, as many of u have:

An error has occurred. Turn the power OFF and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions.

It WAS NOT a sanity effect. i let it stay for 2-3 minutes and no change. however there IS a sanity effect where it brings up the error message i posted above, but changes it to "plug ur controller in" (looks exactly like other error).

I am wondering if they put the freezing of the game to actually MESS with u beyond belief. cuz i am still dumbfounded.

there are too many rumors that the game "destroys" the gamecube. and i will not buy into that. the game is made exclusively for nintendo, they wouldnt do that to their loyal customers.

maybe the game is glitchy, but i dont think it'll mess up ur gamecube. be reasonable. my friend beat it all 3 times and continues to play a multitude of games.

this forum is awesome btw. didnt think i'd find ANYONE with the same problem i had.

game on

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 07:52:50 PM »
When my Cube fails to load, it makes funny noises before it croaks. Yeah, its the system itself that causes it to bite the dust. I wish I knew how. Thankfully these things last longer than a PS2 =P

As I've heard anyway...
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 11:30:58 PM »
funny you mention dust..my freidn got an air can and sprayed his gamecube(which wouldnt play eternal darkness at all) and it works lamdamnsplicity now. No problems. Maybe you may want to bite the dust back....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GameCuberZ

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2003, 03:46:37 AM »
It's most definetely your GameCube disc drive acting up. It's probably defected. Go use your warranty or buy a new GameCube.

Offline shocknawe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2003, 09:52:20 PM »
After how many "An error has occurred. Turn the power OFF and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." errors should i wait until i get a new gamecube? I only got it once and played my gamecube to hell since that day to see if it would happen again. Nothin. Only that one time.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 04:03:12 AM »
I know Im terribly late for this game

The same error happened to me. More exactly to my brother, I never saw it, but playing yesterday in some cutscenes the game stuttered a little, which scared me >_< not as much as Alex dead in the bathtube, that freaked the hell out of me and my brother lol I suppose playing at night with all lights off really pays off

It has only happened twice, so now I save like every minute. My Metroid Prime 2 game also has an ocasional error, the game freezes in an especific elevator, so I wonder if the air can thing can be helpful for these problems or if I have to live with it, because it seems Eternal Darkness really pushes the GC drive to its limits...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 04:18:03 AM »
This happend to me for the first time ever this weekend. Playing Mario Kart. That said Metroid Prime has frozen on me too, but it jsut froze. No error screen.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline silentbob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 10:20:57 AM »
my gamecube gives me disc error problems while im playing, its happened during RE0 and Fzero, only twice though, are the errors gona get more common over time?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 02:18:14 PM »
well actually my friend ended up having to get a new gamecube...lol wow this thread is old. Anyways there are alot of reports of errors in the Karim level.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 02:38:07 PM »
dont tell me that now more than ever its really great that the Rev will be backwards compatible, because at least I can be sure my little GC will last until Rev's launch. I actually didnt have the stutter in the Karim level, but in the Luther level. The Karim part run flawlessly.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 08:53:28 PM »
ED never croaked on me, but my Cube was in it's prime back then. Had to replace it way back last fall because of constant said disc read errors on all my games.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »

wow this thread is old.
No joke.  When I first saw it, I was trying to figure out when I created a thread.  Then I realized it was two years ago.

Anyone notice that there aren't many people who responded who are still around today?  I miss M.C. and G.N.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2005, 04:33:52 PM »
We all do.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.