Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 668514 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Wii U to Switch Port Edition)
« Reply #2950 on: January 09, 2017, 05:44:23 PM »
Every time a talented game creator leaves or gets totally disrespected, Nintendo fans say Nintendo should pick up the phone. For once, that's actually a realistic expectation. Nintendo might actually do that this time. It has history with Platinum Games of literally doing exactly this. At the same time, Nintendo gauging interest in Scalebound automatically drives up the price of even a cancelled IP. Microsoft may not be so willing to give up the rights. I suppose it depends on if Nintendo wants to buy more than Microsoft wants to sell and vice versa. Nintendo could always pick up the game in spirit by having Platinum Games develop a similar game using the core concepts without calling it Scalebound.

I'm curious where this leaves Platinum Games. It likes having creative control but would greatly benefit from organization and consistent financial backing. It got both from The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2. Platinum Games and Nintendo have had a good working relationship. Nintendo could use all the help it can get plugging genre holes in Switch's lineup while Platinum Games needs stability. Given how volatile Hideki Kamiya can be, would a partnership eventually implode? Maybe his public persona is nothing like his professional persona. I wonder if Nintendo could ultimately live with Platinum Games releasing higher budget, critical darlings that never become more than niche, particularly with Monolithsoft already as a first party developer.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: January 09, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »
Platinum fans are an interesting lot, seeing as they pride themselves with understanding the machinations of the studio's work and are vocal about its technical elements and the challenge they provide, but the flip side is that Platinum games almost never sell well unless backed by a recognizable brand, which means their fanbase is a vocal minority. This is potentially advantageous, seeing as Nintendo has become more open to sharing their IPs, but with how Car Fax Zero turned out, I am wary of future partnerships with Platinum, and I think many of the creative forces at Platinum would agree. Kamiya seems like someone who likes making his own, original IP, and while I respect the thought and experience the guy has, he's yet to make a game that has truly won me over.

I just wanted to add a disclaimer: I think Platinum games are marvelous when in the hands of someone who has learned their intricacies and I get a huge kick out of watching high level play in the same way that I enjoy fighting games, but they aren't for me.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 09, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
I find Platinum games good in small doses, but yet it is a poor way to play them as you really need to build up the skill to play them to satisfaction. They are amazing then you crush the game but the amount of effort to do it is extreme.

The problem becomes that when you pass a stage and get Bronze or Sliver or even Gold is that you want to go back to get a higher rank even though you are not equipped to do so which means you grind away at the game burning yourself out. That is definitely what happened to me playing Bayoneta.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: January 09, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »
but with how Car Fax Zero turned out...
I'm trying to figure out if this was intentional or just a shining example of auto-correct.

I'm not a huge Platinum Games fan. I'm not good enough at videogames to ever make the company's games look as cool as they're supposed to be. I've liked and bought a few of Platinum Games' titles (e.g. Madworld, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 and 2). It does a good job of world building, and I rather like the character of Bayonetta even if (and maybe because) she's so ridiculous.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: January 09, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
Nier Automata looks really good and the demo played well.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: January 09, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
It was intentional.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2956 on: January 09, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »
Nintendo should have enough bread-and-butter type IPs that could finance the higher budget critical darlings.  That should push hardware sales, and if Nintendo can keep turning profits on hardware sales (as they strive to do, despite sensibilities) the net impact can be neutral.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: January 10, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/818945492407025664

A LAN adapter. A LAN ADAPTER. aDZDJNRTRSTY5YJDFYGCHJDM,XDCGY KMOYU;T.IUYFKDTRSXYKLFYUIP©¥•ʼÖ

EDIT: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/818950683902636032

A possible share button? Twitch/YouTube integration maybe? I hope so.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:43:32 PM by Soren »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: January 10, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
The thing's part handheld and Nintendo has never included a wired connection built-in, it was crazy to expect anything other than an adaptor for that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »
It would have been nice for the dock to have LAN, but it would probably make problems un docking the switch while the lan is active.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 10, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
The LAN adapter was always going to be on the dock, I just hope the thing has enough USB ports. I know it's a silly thing to nitpick (and I already have a Wii LAN adapter) but I'm just frustrated by this leak confirming what I already suspected.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: January 10, 2017, 07:07:11 PM »
What, that the Switch's online matchmaking is going to suck?

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: January 10, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
Atlus has launched the website for the 25th anniversary of Shin Megami Tensei. It could easily be a coincidence and it makes sense to launch this kind of website very early in the year, of course, but the timing is still kinda interesting. Whether or not anything related to the series gets announced this week for Switch, the 25th anniversary logo seems to be hinting pretty strongly at Shin Megami Tensei V coming up in some capacity this year (which has me really excited).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:00:22 PM by Oedo »

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »
Missed the Hori post earlier in the thread. If that leak is accurate, I hope the accessories are there for launch. I've been very pleased with the Hori screen protectors for 3DS and would like to put one on the Switch screen right out of the box. The arcade stick is interesting because it doesn't really make sense for Hori to release their $150 Real Arcade Pro model on Switch unless there's at least a couple of big fighting game coming out on the console this year. The possible candidates for launch are:

- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (which is coming out on XB1 and PC in March... go figure)
- Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator- (Arc System Works appears on the Switch partners list)
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend or Central Fiction (not sure if the latter is exclusive to PlayStation consoles but, again, Arc System Works)
- Tekken 7: Fated Retribution (I remember Harada made some comments a while ago that made it sound like he hadn't even gotten his hands on the console yet, but Bandai Namco is on the Switch partners list, so who knows)

And then there's Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite coming later in the year. I would not buy that arcade stick if it's only compatible with Switch, and, unfortunately, that is likely the case given that there are separate models for PS4/PS3 and XB1/XB360. It's cool that these games might be coming to the console though.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Re: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread
« Reply #2964 on: January 12, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
Guys...we're almost there.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: January 12, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
Switch Presentation Leaked...  ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Star Fox 64 Remastered, Super Smash Bros. Disagreement.  A couple funny titles on there. I like it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: January 12, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
My prediction is that they announce NintenDogsCats Switch in which your pet is a dog when you're taking the game on the go but magically switches into a cat when the Switch is docked.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2968 on: January 12, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
Getting a little ahead of ourselves for Ape Rule Fools, I think.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 12, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
What a great thread title! It's so original!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: January 12, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
Which reminds me, I'm going to lock this thread after tonight. I was going to do it after the first Switch reveal when the official Switch topic was created and I stickied that. This thread seemed to be dying out for a week back then but, before I locked it, people suddenly started posting in here again and discussing different rumors so I figured that since the Switch still wasn't fully revealed, I'd leave the topic alone for the time being. But a bunch of times people would post something in the Official Switch topic and then someone would post the same thing here and the conversation would split or mainly carry on in here. It's time to move on to the Official Switch thread. This one had a good run but all remaining rumors and news can start going there.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 12, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
My prediction is that they announce NintenDogsCats Switch in which your pet is a dog when you're taking the game on the go but magically switches into a cat when the Switch is docked.

I actually really like the idea of a game changing up like this in the docked vs. undocked mode.  It seems likely that Nintendo will have some lighthearted games that use that concept.  Rotom is basically a Switch, so that would be a good place to do it.  It reminds me of Another Story for DS, which cleverly used a lot of the DS features for puzzle solving, including one that required closing the DS hinge.  That one stumped me for a while.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
Walmart Canada listing the Switch at 399. So 299 USA? Uhhhhhhhh

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 12, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
Oh hey, Nintendo being stupid about pricing their console? Surprise, surprise.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Less than an hour to go.