Author Topic: Breath of Fire Arriving on Wii U Virtual Console Next Month  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Breath of Fire Arriving on Wii U Virtual Console Next Month
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »

Get ready to relive Capcom's classic RPG series.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/39197/breath-of-fire-arriving-on-wii-u-virtual-console-next-month

Capcom announced today that Breath of Fire is set for a release on the Wii U Virtual Console next month, on February 12.

Originally released in North America in 1993, the RPG deals with a boy named Ryu who is able to shape shift into a dragon. He travels around the world in search of his missing sister, and deals with an evil organization along the way.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire Arriving on Wii U Virtual Console Next Month
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
I never played this game. Is it very good?

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »
I have Breath of Fire 2 for the Wii virtual console. In my humble opinion it was extremely archaic for a 1994 RPG. The original cannot be more advanced so I would expect high difficulty, frustrating menus/experience gain/progression, unclear game concepts, SLOW battles, LOTS of game over screens, and LOTS of repetition.  I did finish BoF2, but will probably never play it again.  I love challenges, such as Etrian Odyssey (I have them all, and finished them all except for untold). I would put BoF2 in the same category as Final Fantasy I I I (the DS remake)...too outdated and unbalanced to be any fun. 

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »
I have Breath of Fire 2 for the Wii virtual console. In my humble opinion it was extremely archaic for a 1994 RPG. The original cannot be more advanced so I would expect high difficulty, frustrating menus/experience gain/progression, unclear game concepts, SLOW battles, LOTS of game over screens, and LOTS of repetition.  I did finish BoF2, but will probably never play it again.  I love challenges, such as Etrian Odyssey (I have them all, and finished them all except for untold). I would put BoF2 in the same category as Final Fantasy I I I (the DS remake)...too outdated and unbalanced to be any fun. 
Thanks for the info sounds like something I don't want

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
I'm playing now and rather enjoy the game.

I like the way your have different characters that offer

It clearly has faults: too many random battles and some unclear direction on where to go next being the worst aspects... but those faults are largely balanced by a cheap and easily available item that allows you to walk without any random encounters and a 30-second visit to GameFaqs.

The games are very old-school though. If you didn't like FF3 (the NES game) then you'd probably find this too archaic for your tastes.
NNID: ejamer

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how well this game has stood the test of time, but personally, I'm still very pleased to see it finally released on the VC purely for nostalgia. It was one of the very first RPGs I ever played and it really left a strong impression on me and undoubtedly started my fascination with the genre.

I do have the SNES cart, but it's always nice to have the VC version for ease of replayability.
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
I got it on Wii and liked it then, but I tried to replay it recently and it wasn't happening.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
I like the way your have different characters that offer ...
Hmm... that sentence wasn't supposed to be left like that.

I like the way you meet different characters that have special talents and abilities (and how those abilities are often used in the overworld for interesting purposes).  I like how you are continually spurred on with little quest after little quest, and I like the overall story even if it is somewhat bare-bones.  I like the auto-attack feature, especially since it makes the game playable while doing other activities.  I like how, even though the game doesn't really push any boundaries, it feels like there was a lot of interesting ideas combined together to create this game.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 10:57:56 PM »
One of my first and still favorite RPGs. Can't wait to get this!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)