Author Topic: Microsoft's E3 2008 conference  (Read 10360 times)

Offline walkingdead2

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft's E3 2008 conference
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
i think you guys are really judging this thing to harshly.  ff13 is huge due to the fact that every copy sold on the 360 is one that sony isn't getting.  not to mention that Microsoft has a bigger install base.  as far as killer apps go there was only gears 2.  but re5, ff13 and the other rpg's that were mentioned like infinite undiscovry and star ocean means that people don't have to buy a ps3.  i actually think this was really huge from the stand point of taking wind out of sony sails/sales. take that pun however you want.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »
For anyone who missed the conference, I hit all the major points in a blog post. Check it out.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »
I'm surprised RE5 is only coming out in March 2009.

It's laffable so much of the last gen RE4 assets have been reused.  Way to go, HD gaming.
The controls are laffably stiff looking and dated.  More firepower?  Less scary.

Chris Redfield looks disgusting.

T-Virus Bad
Las Plagas Bad
Steroids Good

HULK SMASH

Agreed. Chris looks awful. His bulging arms make him look monsterous. His BSAA partner however looks great.

The new XBL interface is horrrrrrrible.

As long as it is functional and easy to use it's all good.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks Mr.Jack.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
The new XBL interface is horrrrrrrible.

As long as it is functional and easy to use it's all good.

It's ugly and it looks awkward as hell to use. Just as bad as the blades IMO.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »
Really? hmm, well we will see when we get the chance to try them.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »
Really? hmm, well we will see when we get the chance to try them.

Yeah, I will hold off final judgment until I can use it myself, but as of now, it just didn't look very promising.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
I think that the conference was boring yet again they just focused on the current year and early next year. The only thing that was a surprise is FF:XIII but it wont pose a big impact sure it may steal some sales but its not a big deal. I hate how the new interface looks its just too sterile but the party thing is pretty cool. The avatars are just lame.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »
Was there any mention of Too Human during the entire show?  If not, that's not a good sign for the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »
Was there any mention of Too Human during the entire show?  If not, that's not a good sign for the game.

Nope, but they put up the demo today for it to speak for itself.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »
RE5 is going to be on the Wii. Limited exclusivity is the phrase.

Capcom is going to whore it out like all the other franchises.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
So I missed nothing, really?  Meh...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »
Though I will say, that the Mortal Kombat vs DC had made me throw up on the inside.  I love my DC and that is just destroying everything I love about DC.

I felt the same way about Mortal Kombat...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »
New features for the next dashboard update.

*  Play from hard drive. You'll be able to copy game discs to your Xbox 360 hard drive. Installing the games will prevent wear 'n tear on the disc drive, and will shorten load times. You will still need the disc in the disc tray to prove you own the game. 
    * Access Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web. If you're not near your Xbox 360, you can still use this "Internet" thing to browse and purchase things from the Marketplace. Once you purchase something from Xbox.com, it will download automatically to your console while you're away.
    * Xbox LIVE Primetime. This is a "whole new category of games" that not only supports Achievements and leaderboards, but will also offer real prizes. Games are played throughout the Xbox LIVE network and each game is "broadcast simultaneously" so that everyone is partaking in the same activity. These events can feature live hosts, "calling the shots as they happen."

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »
New features for the next dashboard update.

*  Play from hard drive. You'll be able to copy game discs to your Xbox 360 hard drive. Installing the games will prevent wear 'n tear on the disc drive, and will shorten load times. You will still need the disc in the disc tray to prove you own the game. 

Our disc drive is crap, please don't use it. I can't see myself installing games on my 20gb, perhaps more useful for those with Elites.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm really going to use up my hard drive to "decrease load times". Isn't it still going to make that loud disc reading noise while I play even if I install the damn thing? Though the Netflix thing sounds cool because I'd much rather stream content to my TV than my computer (tho I'd still rather just have the DVD, but I guess this is pretty convenient).

I would've preferred Street Fighter vs. DC, not only because I'm not a Mortal Kombat fan, but because they (Capcom & DC) match each others tones much better (no fatalities to remove), and Marvel vs. Capcom already showed how well superheroes fit in with the Capcom characters. But I guess it looks interesting; enough for a rental and maybe a Greatest Hits buy if it's worth it. A minor nitpick: I really hate that almost know preview videos/trailers for games actually show the visuals that'll be on the screen (lifebar, etc.). It's like they're trying to pretend to be a movie, and they all fail in the comparison because it's totally the wrong context.

And the new interface is awful; hopefully it's optional.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »
Well, a Capcom vs. DC in 2D would of sold Millions instantly...which is why such a logical game doesn't exist. 

If I was Warner Bros.  Right after Marvel vs. Capcom became big...I would have been pursuing Capcom to make a Capcom vs. DC and fund the entire project.

This Mortal Kombat vs. DC just doesn't fit the universes very well...and everything from character design and feel is just bad.  The game really needed to be 2D and that is final.

Just imagine a Capcom vs DC in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom 1 (Not 2)

Pitting the characters of:

Ryu, Ken, Chun Li vs. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. 

It would have been perfect.

Hell, Guilty Gear vs. DC fits better than Mortal Kombat vs. DC.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »
This actually has turned me off buying a 360 for now, which is a shame because i've already bought a few games for it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 04:52:54 AM »
What is with the double dose of dorks to start the show? The opening present was horrendous and the Fallout III dork made some lame jokes. Also am I the only one that thought Gears of RE5? The game looks purely action now.

I was actually surprised to see that 3rd party Wii revenue was higher than PS3 (BTW MS's graph comparing install base to Wii was hilarious)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:22:01 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21:16 AM »
No, your not the only one. RE5's mood has been cut to ****. It doesn't look scary anymore. Plus they added an ASSAULT RIFLE for god sakes!

And I thought the TMP in RE4 made things a little to easy.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
Aparently Final Fantasy 13 on 360 is only for Europe and North America, in Japan FF13 is PS3 exclusive.

Here is an excerpt from a live blog:

1:00 - Heidi Kemps asks when these will ship. Will PS3 and 360 ship at the same time? They say that they are just ready to star Xbox 360 development now. It will release in Japan first. Then, PS3 development/translation will begin, and Xbox 360 version should start about the same time. As for the US, the PS3 and 360 will release at the same time. Europe will also get a matched date, though it may not be the same time as the US date.

Kitase adds that they will try to get the Europe and US release dates as close as possible.

1:04- Shane from 1UP asks about Japan and the Xbox 360 version. He says that he hears that it is not coming to Japan. Hashimoto confirms that is is not coming out in Japan for the Xbox 360. As for Infinite Undiscovery, it is a 360 exclusive. Last Remnant will also be at first, but will probably be a PS3 title later.

1:07- Rob. Workman from GameDaily is asking about exclusive content for the different versions of FF 13. They have no intention to make different versions for the different platforms.

1:09 - A Japanese press member asks about the reasoning for the lack of an Xbox 360 Japanese release. Hashimoto says that he likes the spread of the Xbox 360 in Europe and the US, and they have not changed their mind on a Japanese version.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:33:54 AM by Flames_of_chaos »

Offline walkingdead2

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
Aparently Final Fantasy 13 on 360 is only for Europe and North America, in Japan FF13 is PS3 exclusive.

Here is an excerpt from a live blog:

1:00 - Heidi Kemps asks when these will ship. Will PS3 and 360 ship at the same time? They say that they are just ready to star Xbox 360 development now. It will release in Japan first. Then, PS3 development/translation will begin, and Xbox 360 version should start about the same time. As for the US, the PS3 and 360 will release at the same time. Europe will also get a matched date, though it may not be the same time as the US date.

Kitase adds that they will try to get the Europe and US release dates as close as possible.

1:04- Shane from 1UP asks about Japan and the Xbox 360 version. He says that he hears that it is not coming to Japan. Hashimoto confirms that is is not coming out in Japan for the Xbox 360. As for Infinite Undiscovery, it is a 360 exclusive. Last Remnant will also be at first, but will probably be a PS3 title later.

1:07- Rob. Workman from GameDaily is asking about exclusive content for the different versions of FF 13. They have no intention to make different versions for the different platforms.

1:09 - A Japanese press member asks about the reasoning for the lack of an Xbox 360 Japanese release. Hashimoto says that he likes the spread of the Xbox 360 in Europe and the US, and they have not changed their mind on a Japanese version.

thats probably just a money thing.  they sold about 35 or 40 360 so far in japan since its launch.