Author Topic: Now it's starting for the Wii  (Read 5056 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Now it's starting for the Wii
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
The PC has been plagued for a while now by preorder boxes, i.e. boxes that you buy for a tenner that count as preorders for the matching game. They clutter up the shelves and confuse you as to which games are out. Sometimes there's extra stuff in there (one came with the full version of Prey). Now the Wii is apparently getting the same plague, there's a preorder box for SSBB out now. It seems to contain a poster or something.

I bet the stores don't even care about those preorders, you'd still have to grab a copy off the shelves.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Now it's starting for the Wii
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
In Amerika, we don't grab copies off shelves.

We have to ask for the game at the front desk (while the shelves only hold empty DVD game cases).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
Same here, there's boxes on the shelves but they proudly say THIS IS A DUMMY CASE on the back.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
My friend was in Gamestop once and found a Gears of War in the collectors Tin, well the game disc was actually inside the tin, all he had to do was drop the disc into his pocket and walk out the door. That is a little unusual for Gamestop to leave a game as valuable as Gears of War (this was right after it came out) in such a vulnerable spot.

Latter I found out he actually did steal the game and I tried to get him to take it back but after a couple hours of playing changed my mind.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:19 PM »
That's pretty shitty of your friend.  Get better ones.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
Nevermind. Forget it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:11:36 AM »
In Amerika, we don't grab copies off shelves.

We have to ask for the game at the front desk (while the shelves only hold empty DVD game cases).
I asked at Gamestop once (all other stores use regular shelves but usually put the games in huge plastic cases that can only be opened with a special tool at the register and include the coils to trigger an alarm if you try to get them past the gate), you're still supposed to bring the empty case to the desk where they put the contents in, that way you get all the lovely stickers on the box. One of the reasons I buy elsewhere if everything else is equal.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »
I never buy from Gamestop. I'll accept free stuff from my manager friend, but if I can't have my game in the original shrinkwrap then I can go elsewhere.

And, stealing is bad, m'kay. It screws more people than you might think. No justifications, stealing is stealing.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »

Sorry, touchy subject for me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:51:59 PM by animecyberrat »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »
I've bought enough games from GameStop that I get GameStop gift cards for taking online surveys.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline walkingdead2

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
I never buy from Gamestop. I'll accept free stuff from my manager friend, but if I can't have my game in the original shrinkwrap then I can go elsewhere.

And, stealing is bad, m'kay. It screws more people than you might think. No justifications, stealing is stealing.

what gamestops do you guys go to where you dont get the game in its shrink wrap?  if its the last copy sure, if its used ok,  but they don't just stick a bunch of open cases out there.  at least the one i used to work at and all the ones around me do the same thing.  and i got a lot by me.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:52:28 PM »
Well, I thought about that after I posted. And now that I think about it, I really have issue with what was EB Games. I guess they are interchangable in my mind.

I retract what I said. I still don't shop there though :)

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 12:33:57 AM »
Well, I thought about that after I posted. And now that I think about it, I really have issue with what was EB Games. I guess they are interchangable in my mind.
Understandable; that said, the "merger" was more of a "GameStop buyout of EB Games". There's not much left of EB in the new company.
Grr. Argh.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 01:20:43 AM »
All the rat's friend did was steal the rich and give to the poor...
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »
he didn't give the game to me, I just played it with him at his house.

Offline walkingdead2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
All the rat's friend did was steal the rich and give to the poor...

and thats still stealing.   i really don't like this thought we have in society that its ok to steal from faceless multi million dollar company's... they wont just miss this one game, or this one cd, etc.  if you don't think you pay for theft in the long run you have never run a company in any form in any level.  and especially when it comes to video games its even worse.  the profit margin on a new game is so minuscule im surprised there are specialty retailers out there at all.  thats why funcoland did mostly all used business... cause there was profit out there for that.  and hell when it comes to new systems its even worse.

animecyberrat this was in no way a rant against you or your friend... this was a rant against people who think its ok to steal from a company they dont like... or a company that makes millions of dollars.  run a business and find out how much you have to pay your employees, rent, insurance, disability, unemployment, security, utilities, and taxes... then tell me if its ok that someone stole a game from you.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
walkingdead2 has a point, I've seen how that stuff plays out.  I worked at a Sam Goody Store for around 2.5 years to the point it filed for bankruptcy and later then bought out by FYE. 

CD's, Games, Systems, etc are a very low percent of what the store makes in profits so every time 1 CD is stolen that is like 5 CD sales being erased.  Factor in the fact that almost all of chains are located inside malls and the ridiculous cost for a lease in a mall are and it is no wonder Sam Goody wend under.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 05:44:07 PM »
This is the world's smallest violin.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
not to getback into this but in the case of Gamestop, who is steeling from the customer in the first place, what is the difference?

I DO NOT condone this action, read my first post, also if you did read my long rant before I edited it you would know more about how I feel on this matter. It was a half ass comment not made to be taken seriously, but knowing my friend, and his circumstances also knowing how things work, there are times when I just have to accept things as the way they are.

You same people who are against steeling ever download a cd, mp3 or divx without paying for it?

As a moral issue steeling is wrong, so is lying to people, ripping someone off, or selling illegal drugs. I know people who do all of the above and I do not condone their actions but at the same time, I can not ignore their circumstances nor can I condone the actions of these no named companies who have no liability what soever.

As a moral issue I think it is wrong on every level and I DO NOT and WOULD NOT ever steel anything, even the movies I download I own or have owned every single one on DVD, I download only movies to put onto my I-Pod because it is easier than the complicated process of ripping them to the PC.

Same for music, I rarely download music, only if I can't find a certain cd, or the cd is scratched I will hop onto bearshare, find the song I need and get off. I could listen to the radio, wait for the same song to maybe come on, record it, transfer it to my PC and put it on my I-pod just the same, but that also takes too long.

Now moral issues aside, and that is not something I do lightly, I can let certain things go as long as I am not directly involved because, 1st of all it is not my place to go around and telling people how to live their lives, second of all people need to realize there are those of us in the world that get **** on daily and have nothing to our names, some have it far worse than I do and I have been at the bottom.

The way I see it is this, some people live hard lives, and they do what they can to get by, I would prefer it if they got it in their heads they could live without things they can't afford, but I would also prefer it if they had money to feed their god damn kids and pay their bills and pay the rent and pay their taxes and put gas in their damn car and have something left over to breath, but not everyone has that luxury.

But someone who has it better than the rest of us don't get it and won't get it. Now in this case, it was wrong, yes, and it was something I told him was wrong, in other cases it was a matter of feeding the god damn kid or not, in those cases not getting the god damn help one would expect can push a person to do extreme things.

Offline walkingdead2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »
This is the world's smallest violin.

its only the worlds smalles violin cause its not your money.  when it becomes your money you will be angry... take my word for it.  i doubt you will ever get robed and say... "ahhh it was someone less fortunate than me so ok".

Offline walkingdead2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 10:09:05 PM »
not to getback into this but in the case of Gamestop, who is steeling from the customer in the first place, what is the difference?

how are they steeling from the customer... how so please explain?

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »
no, forget it, you don't get it I am not going to explain it any more. Of all the things in my post, why pick that apart?

Offline walkingdead2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 11:25:42 PM »
no i dont get it thats why i asked.  i said from the start that my rant on not stealing was not agianst you or your friend but more about the act itself and how people feel that its ok as long as its from a large corporation.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »
ok well I explained my POV in the post I made, it has nothing to do with large corporation vs small company vs individual. It is, for me, a moral issue, but oh that is why I said forget it, I can't really explain it better than I did. Sorry no offense to you just I don't have the right words for this. And certain things out side of this forum are influencing impairing my judgment lately so I am not really myself today.