Author Topic: Red Colony (Switch eShop) Review  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Red Colony (Switch eShop) Review
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:19:00 PM »

A new champion has arrived.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/56098/red-colony-switch-eshop-review

Eagerly have I been anticipating this day, dear readers; some of you may recall DS game I reviewed in 2010 called Homie Rollerz, which I held aloft as the pinnacle of terrible game design. Since that day, I have, in the back of my mind, been waiting for its successor, a game so abysmal, so offensive, so achingly droll that it gains the sort of cult status only reserved for films like The Room and Plan Nine From Outer Space. Red Colony, my friends, is that game. It has no redeeming features, no low-budget charm, and no higher expectations of itself. It is the kind of game you’d expect to play while the Rifftrax or MST3K guys provide commentary.

In Red Colony, you take control of a scientist (?) named Maria, a woman who seems to have been drawn, according to my wife, in Microsoft Paint. Maria is animated like a marionette and is smartly dressed in short shorts, high-heel boots, and a bright red crop top. Her basketball-sized breasts bounce stiffly with every step she takes—a step cycle that is unbalanced, so she always appears to be limping. Even when she’s not carrying anything, she appears to be holding a gun.

Maria is on a quest to find her daughter and escape a zombie outbreak by limping through 2D environments. Sometimes, in order to avoid the undead, Maria can crawl on all fours under a table, looking down--instead of forward--as she does so. She’ll open a lot of cabinets and find all manner of items, many of which are not fully explained, and others which are 3D printing supplies used to craft things like…guns and ammunition, because firearms are banned in the Red Colony. Borrowing a page from Resident Evil, Maria can only save her game if she finds a USB stick (one save per stick). Every time Maria moves between rooms or up and down stairs, there’s a short cutscene of her moving into the new area. This cutscene does not take her current health status into account.

Many lockboxes and doors require codes, and the codes are almost always, conveniently, right next to the locked door. The codes are always four characters long. In one room, for example, a kid’s action figure collection, for some reason, has the numbers 1-4 written next to certain figures. On the other side of his room is a computer. Guess what his password is?

I quickly learned that guns aren’t actually necessary to battle the undead, which is probably for the best since ammo is relatively scarce. Rather, the solution to every encounter is to stab a few times, run a few feet away, and repeat until the zombie dies. If Maria is attacked by zombies, her health is shown by the condition of her clothing but here, rather than looking slashed or bloody, Maria’s fragmenting garments appear to be slowly fading away, molecule by molecule. Senran Kagura still leads the pack in the "torn clothes that still look good" category.

Though her daughter is seemingly always just out of reach, Maria will come across several friends and frenemies in her short adventure. One of her friends and colleagues, Jill, is what older generations might call a “loose woman” and is frequently inebriated. Maria's kid’s nanny, Emily, has apparently been sleeping with Maria’s husband, which leads to a lot of, shall we say, “charming” back-and-forth between the two of them. The game does contain a good amount of dialogue, such as this Pulitzer-winning passage spoken by Maria’s friend (?), Alan, who appears to be dying:

"Shut up, B*TCH, I’m talking! I’m gonna die, Maria. DRUNK IN MY F*CKING OFFICE while I watch your big t*ts and curvy-ass BODY…F*CK MY LIFE! You’re SO GOD DAMN HOT! If James hadnt shown up, I would have given you the world!"

Go home, Jane Austen, you've been outclassed. And this is nothing compared to the venom spewed between Maria and Emily. The asterisks are mine, of course, but that typo is in the game. Typos, awkward phrases, subject/verb disagreement, and inconsistent tense are all constant companions throughout Red Colony. I read some exchanges aloud until I realized that doing so caused my English degree to visibly decay. Too real, Red Colony. More than anything else, perhaps (although read on), this game needed a competent writer. We’re not that hard to find!

Speaking of writing, though, the high point of Red Colony occurs when Maria finds her way back to the lab, in which the frankly incredible backstory of the zombie virus is revealed. You don’t need any other part of Red Colony, only this explanation; I may have found a new religion based on the ideas presented here. Check the TalkBack thread if you want to full story.

We’ve discussed the awkward gameplay, paper doll graphics, and award-winning script, but I still need to talk about Red Colony’s biggest feature: the bugs, which easily outnumber the zombies. There are some real charmers, like the occasions when, upon entering a new area, Maria would demonstrate a new superpower: levitation. She would levitate for several seconds, moving left and right along the ceiling and phase through walls, as if blown by an invisible wind. Not all were so entertaining, though. During my first playthrough of the game (yes, there were multiple), I realized about halfway through that I didn’t need guns, and so I attempted to start a new game since there aren’t multiple save files, but this merely returned Maria to the game’s first room, but all of her collected items were intact. All doors and cabinets were already unlocked, but spent ammo had not been returned.

I decided to trudge on, getting through the rest of the game in one sitting—it’s absurdly short—and never saving my game. Unfortunately, I reached a what might be a bad ending (maybe there's a good ending) or simply a poorly-executed ending, and attempted, again, to start a new game. Once more, Maria was cast back to the first area, all of her equipment intact, but her clothes—and therefore health—in tatters, the result of that ending. Alas, I was unable to actually USE any healing items or save my game. It was as if Red Colony was being selective as to what it did and did not reset. Even picking up new health kits and USB keys didn’t allow their use. I allowed Maria to be attacked by a zombie just to see if Red Colony would go the Senran Kagura distance (it does not) and then found myself unable to continue.

I couldn’t go back to a save file because I hadn’t saved in the previous run, and attempting to start another new game immediately took me back to the “you died” screen, where I could only attempt to reload my save. It was like a programming version of Orobouros. I eventually had to delete the game and reinstall.

I also can't avoid talking about the graphics. The backgrounds actually look surprisingly good and varied, but the character design, I mean good lord. Just look at that screenshot (above). Everyone is, whether they want to or not, developing a new hobby during the COVID pandemic. Mine happens to be teaching myself to draw pinup art. You know, the kind of art guys like Gil Elvgren did so well. It's hard, I'm used to drawing extinct reptiles, so human anatomy is completely alien. But looking at the art in Red Colony has given me a boost of confidence. I'm doing pretty well.

Red Colony very much feels like a first draft of a game, from graphics, to script, to programming, that was somehow released on the eShop as a finished product. This would be like buying a puzzle, finishing the border, and declaring it completed. Frankly, I’m not sure how anybody could look at this game and think it was ready for prime time. If the bugs weren’t there, it might get by on its “so bad it’s good” appeal, but in its current state, it’s a disaster. Homie Rollerz, you finally have some competition.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: Red Colony (Switch eShop) Review
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 02:47:41 AM »
Wait so what was the origin of the virus? Tell us tell us!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline FrenchDog85

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 10:39:02 PM »
Disclaimer: I have not played this game nor necessarily plan to.  And this isn't meant to bash the author of this review (at all, truly).

That said, and I realize these are likely typos as well, but the following sentences also have glaring errors:

"Everyone is, whether they want to or not, is developing a new hobby during the COVID pandemic." One is or the other would work; not both.

"I quickly learned that guns aren’t actually necessary to battle the undead, which is probably for the best since ammo is relatively scarce despite it being illegal to have in the Red Colony."  Despite is an odd choice... The fact that it is illegal would be the reason it is so scarce.  Using the word despite would make more sense if ammo were abundant in the colony yet you couldn't find enough.

"Shut up, B*TCH, I’m talking! I’m gonna die, Maria. DRUNK IN MY F*CKING OFFICE while I watch your big t*ts and curvy-ass BODY…F*CK MY LIFE! You’re SO GOD DAMN HOT! If James hadnt shown up, I would have given you the world!"  I'm trying to find the typo... Only typo I can see would be the missing apostrophe in "hadn't".  Or a lack of a space after the "..." before "F*CK".  Obviously it isn't fully coherent sentences, but it's a drunk person's rambling.  And I'd guess the all CAPS is for emphasis, not accidental. 

I guess in short, it wasn't the example I'd have used.  I trust that there are many other horrible things in the script... And I do not mean to flame the author truly.  Just juxtaposing his review with the one bit of script from the game posted.

Also, I personally don't see anything glaringly wrong with the art in the one photo posted (other than obviously the proportions are intentionally not natural, like in most anime tropes).  If that's the only issue, many games have fault there!  Most are intentionally trying for non-realistic proportions...  I'm no aspiring artist though, and like what I see  ;D

Also, what was the origin of the virus (asked above) so I don't have to play a broken game hahaha!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 02:19:53 AM »
What up, FrenchDog85! You bring up some fair points--I'll respond to everything in red.

Disclaimer: I have not played this game nor necessarily plan to.  And this isn't meant to bash the author of this review (at all, truly).

That said, and I realize these are likely typos as well, but the following sentences also have glaring errors:

"Everyone is, whether they want to or not, is developing a new hobby during the COVID pandemic." One is or the other would work; not both.

"I quickly learned that guns aren’t actually necessary to battle the undead, which is probably for the best since ammo is relatively scarce despite it being illegal to have in the Red Colony." 

Despite is an odd choice... The fact that it is illegal would be the reason it is so scarce.  Using the word despite would make more sense if ammo were abundant in the colony yet you couldn't find enough.

Good point on both! I'll fix 'em!

"Shut up, B*TCH, I’m talking! I’m gonna die, Maria. DRUNK IN MY F*CKING OFFICE while I watch your big t*ts and curvy-ass BODY…F*CK MY LIFE! You’re SO GOD DAMN HOT! If James hadnt shown up, I would have given you the world!"

I'm trying to find the typo... Only typo I can see would be the missing apostrophe in "hadn't".  Or a lack of a space after the "..." before "F*CK".  Obviously it isn't fully coherent sentences, but it's a drunk person's rambling.  And I'd guess the all CAPS is for emphasis, not accidental. 

I dunno, most of the game feels like this. Lots of unnecessary cursing, typos, awkward phrasing, etc.

I guess in short, it wasn't the example I'd have used.  I trust that there are many other horrible things in the script... And I do not mean to flame the author truly.  Just juxtaposing his review with the one bit of script from the game posted.

Okay, here's the intro loading screen text:

"As I sat there angry in the park and dressed up for a night out with Jill, I felt my anger slowly faded away as the alcohol replaced it with excitement. We were about to celebrate the 100th Anniversary on the Colony. All of the sudden, everything went black...I woke up in a warehouse and the Colony was no longer the same..."

I mean...that needed another pass.

Also, I personally don't see anything glaringly wrong with the art in the one photo posted (other than obviously the proportions are intentionally not natural, like in most anime tropes).  If that's the only issue, many games have fault there!  Most are intentionally trying for non-realistic proportions...  I'm no aspiring artist though, and like what I see  ;D

You can have unnatural, cartoony proportions with better art. Senran Kagura is my usual go-to, or Dragon's Crown, but I just mean that the art either needed more time in the cooker or a different artist.

Also, what was the origin of the virus (asked above) so I don't have to play a broken game hahaha!

Yessss...here it is. I honestly love this. It's so out of left field and swings for the fences!

About 100 years ago, the first generation of Mars colonists found a raptor, in perfect condition. How is that possible, you ask? Well it turns out that Earth and Mars used to be one planet, but 50 million years ago (which, by the way, is 15mya after the nonavian dinosaurs went extinct), Planet X (or an astroid) collided with Earth/Mars and split the planet in two! Even though the impact killed most of the dinosaurs, some dinosaurs survived on Earth and Mars. for a short time.

When Earth and Mars was still one planet, its gravity was 50% lighter, its atmosphere 40% thinner, and its land mass 30% bigger (which is not how planets work). And the reason you can't see this today is because planets tend to shape themselves into spheres over time. On Mars, though, the scar is still visible--the Valles Marineris canyon system. Sure, why not?

Anyway, the evil scientist wanted to clone a dinosaur from the perfect specimen found on Mars. Chickens and rats infused with raptor genes became very aggressive. Eventually they injected a human (like you do). The raptor gene affected his amygdala to the point where all rational thought disappears. In fact, the rest of the brain shuts down. But then people attacked by the dinosaur people also develop dinosaur symptoms. It was released into the Red Colony by a spy from the BLUE Colony. And so here we are.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline FrenchDog85

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 02:46:58 AM »
Thanks for the response!  Yes that intro is a much better example (to me at least) of immediately problematic English usage.  I'm also annoyed when playing a game, especially if a lot of it is text, when it's basically wrong.  Often in Japan-English game translations.  I'm not an English major, but have to use mostly proper grammar in my job haha.  A (maybe somewhat) funny anecdote is that I tutor two nights a week as a side-gig at a local college, mostly in math, but also with an English major. While I am not quite as good at correcting things on papers etc (she is better), where she really excels is in the "why"s.  I can never fully explain beyond "It doesn't sound right".

Fair enough on the art; I think I don't have a discerning enough eye is probably why (as I mentioned I'm not anywhere near an artist).  Huge fan of the Senran art as well though.

Thanks for the crazy virus explanation though!  And thanks again for the detailed response!