Author Topic: The Winter of 2cold4gamez! (community event)  (Read 79048 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: The Winter of 2cold4gamez! (community event)
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »
Increase to +1 for finishing Resident Evil Revelations for the RFN retroactive

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »
Clawing my way back up to +2, for finishing Telling Lies. Love this game, really unique and fantastic execution.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 06:27:03 PM »
I'm on a roll, +3 for Part Time UFO. Fun little game. Like Guillaume said on RFN, the soundtrack contains just one song remixed multiple times, but it's a really good song.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »
I finished Light Fall on Switch. This is the platformer where you can create the platforms as you go. It was unique and felt good to play. Recommended for fans of Celeste and other 2D indie platformers.

I also bought three games on the Wii U eShop. You may have seen an ad for gold coins if you renew or but a switch online membership. When I tried to renew it was forcing me to use my balance, but that was money I had set aside for digital games on Wii U. So I had to spend that money before it would let me pay for online with a credit card. In the end I did not even get the coins. This whole event has really made me more conscious of how locked in a spending cycle I am with games, but honestly this is the best I have done in a while.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 08:56:51 PM »
Rolled credits on Resident Evil which brings me to +3, likely my final score. I'm not going to bother with the online mode, but will post some thoughts in the thread later. 

This whole event has really made me more conscious of how locked in a spending cycle I am with games, but honestly this is the best I have done in a while.

Might be projecting a lot here, but might this be a partial byproduct of how discourse around gaming often is very forward-looking? E3 predictions, pre-orders, watching Nintendo Direct, etc. all contribute to placing emphasis on (future) purchases. But once the initial reviews/podcast cycle is done for a game, its longer tail becomes spottier for anything that isn't a live service game.

Since people tend not to play the same things at the same time either, discussion quickly becomes fragmented. You play LightFall now, others may do so in a year or never - and so it can quickly fall from relevance.
This in contrast to forward-looking discussion, where everyone shares a similar outlook/position: nobody has played Future Game X, everyone has access to the same experience with it so far (trailers/announcements), meaning the audience attention for Future Game X is much more cohesive and shared. Discussion flows easily, as there is no imbalance of experience with the game between audience members.

It's also much easier to buy games (done in minutes), or research games you haven't played by checking reviews and footage, than it is to actually play them (easily a few hours). I think these factors play into our greedy impulses to want more than we could reasonably ever play/finish, while there are social reasons to favor speculative discussions... Which may further fuel said greed?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 01:04:33 PM »
Eloquently said Discord. I spoke with Khrushenada about the Wii U games and he thought that since the funds were already on the eShop that it would not necessarily count. I will leave it up to Pokepal when tabulating the final score.

I managed to get one last game in Silver Falls Undertakers. You might remember this as the only 3DS game to release this year (so far). Like Silver Falls: 3 Down Stars it is buggy and I had to replay it due to a glitch. However, if you have nostalgia for Atari 2600 games and like drawing your own maps on graph paper then you will enjoy it for what it is.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »
I was doing so well, going to tank my score in the last few days.

Bought 2 games, Her Story (on sale) and Old Man's Journey (can't really explain this purchase, thought it had a funny name).

Beat 2.
Old Man's Journey, it was short and inoffensive. A unique puzzle game, but far from revolutionary.
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux, this one is long and has downright offensive game design. I'm talking Zelda 1 burning bushes levels of annoying. I stuck with it and in the end I didn't like this game. I think the dungeon design is horrid, invisible doors, invisible walls, invisible teleporters. When you actually need it the map is useless. Not a fan. On the bright side I'm now caught up on the series ready for 5.

The only RPG's I'm missing in English are SMT 1 on iOS (never going to play) and Persona Q2 (didn't like the 1st one).

Got very close to equalising, as I got to presumably the final boss of Pokémon Trading Card Game for GB, but I was wiped out by an extremely powerful Dratini.

Bought:
Bravely Default 2
Interest free loan for Nintendo in the form of a game voucher
Telling Lies
Her Story
Old Man's Journey

Finished:
Yakuza 3
Tell Me Why
Doki Doki Literature Club
Resident Evil Revelations
Telling Lies
Part Time UFO
Old Man's Journey
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux

Total score of -1

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
Huh. I thought this went into the start of April or something. Well, even though the due date was Mar. 28, I say sign me up anyways because I ended up buying no games in that time period as my early plans fell through. Might as well add my cool 6 points to the grand total.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 10:12:28 PM »
I keep forgetting to do a wrap up post but I should be able to get one tomorrow (knock on wood).

Offline JohnHill

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 05:28:16 PM »
Despite my efforts to stop buying games I did it without even realizing it :-[.  I have been learning Japanese and was recommended "Learn Japanese to Survive" on Steam. The cost was $1, it is educational, and it's on PC (which I don't really use for gaming) so I didn't even think I had bought a game, but technically I did. One the other side of things I saw the credits roll on Rhythm Heaven Fever. This happens after 35 levels and I think there are 50. I am going to keep playing and finish the other 15 but I wanted to get something else on the board to balance my purchase. I have a couple other games going now so I should be able to post a few more completions in the next couple weeks.

Donkey Kong (Donkey or DK for short) is the main protagonist of the Donkey Kong series; the laid-back, stubborn, yet trustworthy hero of Donkey Kong Island and the leader of the Kong Family. He is also a main racer in the Mario Kart Series since Mario Kart 64 as well as the protagonist in the Donkey Kong Country animated series.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »
Donkey Kong (Donkey or DK for short) is the main protagonist of the Donkey Kong series; the laid-back, stubborn, yet trustworthy hero of Donkey Kong Island and the leader of the Kong Family. He is also a main racer in the Mario Kart Series since Mario Kart 64 as well as the protagonist in the Donkey Kong Country animated series.

Come on bot, every true Nintendo fan knows that DK was a main racer in Super Mario Kart  :P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 08:31:16 PM »

Come on bot, every true Nintendo fan knows that DK was a main racer in Super Mario Kart  :P

Not according to the Donkey Kong Wiki, where that information was copied and pasted from.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent