Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 688669 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1825 on: June 06, 2021, 02:13:38 PM »
What games do you recommend for a beginer who has never played anything?  :-\

I recommend playing all the NES games you can then. With the NES, the videogame industry was still in its infancy so a lot of games are quite simple and controllers didn't have the amount of buttons that they do now. Since the games are simple they are quite easy so you should have a great time playing them, Mr. Spambot. A few good choices to start would be Metroid, Zelda II, and Ninja Gaiden. Happy gaming.

Great tip! Thank you very much! I am a beginner as well and appreciate the explanation a lot!

This is great, let's see how long we can keep this going.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1826 on: June 09, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
Started Resident Evil Village this week, and I'm immensely enjoying it. Poor Ethan, though! Regardless, I'm getting big RE4 vibes from it, and that is most definitely a good thing. And what I mean by that is all of the hidden treasures, the shopkeeper, the fun level designs, all that good stuff I loved about RE4.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 20, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
Rolled credits on Returnal last night, though I still need to get the "True Ending" that concludes "Act 3" of the game.

I really like it, but it's not for a lot of people, let alone "everyone". It is, however, one of the rare games where I would say that the "It gets good after X hours" argument has merit. So many people & so many reviewers couldn't even get through the 1st 3 Biomes that make up Act 1, let alone beat the game. I got stuck hard on that first Biome for quite a few bad runs, because I just couldn't get past the 1st Boss. Then I had an incredible run & completed all 3 of the Act 1 Biomes in one go with relative ease. Had a similar situation last night with Act 2, though at least I'd gotten to the 5th Biome beforehand.

I feel that if you can't push through the first Act, you haven't really seen how fun Returnal can be, as you haven't seen probably half of the available guns & artifacts and possibly didn't even acquire the grappling hook. I don't think I've seen a shooter this fast-paced, exploration-focused, and eager to punish carelessness since Doom Eternal, another divisive shooter. Once you've established a foothold in Act 2, I feel that the game really opens up in terms of gameplay options and you start being able to explore areas that are underwater; covered in what's essentially lava; or hidden behind invisible platforms, all things the game teases as far back as the 1st Biome.

I'll give Returnal's story this much: for as convoluted as it feels at times for this sort of game (it feels like there are 2 different stories at odds with each other between the Act-ending cutscenes & the "House" cutscenes), I appreciate the fact that so much of it is open to interpretation when so much of modern gaming is incredibly on-the-nose. It's helped the game to stick around in the back of my head when I'm not playing it more than a lot of games these days, in particular something very particular to how the game's soundtrack is woven into the storytelling. The game also has some amazing atmosphere that's drawn comparisons to Metroid Prime for good reason.

Is it "worth" $70? Eh...I dunno, but I'm enjoying it.

Been playing other stuff over the last few months, but not really up to writing about them at length: Persona 5 Strikers, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Judgment, Resident Evil Village, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, FF7 Remake: Intergrade, etc.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:46:14 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 25, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »
I'm playing through Majora's Mask through the 3D restoration mod on 3DS. I'm also using a mod that replaces the 3DS's shitty, overly reverbed version of the soundtrack with the original n64 soundtrack, with some of the songs being replaced by an excellent remaster of the n64 ost that gives you gems like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDmQY0lcGs&

I've considered opening a games as art thread of some sort and this game is definitely worth considering on that level, especially once you've ironed out the various kinks from it's official releases.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 03, 2021, 09:44:49 PM »
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS):

I played through the first four games over a fairly short period of time, and got pretty sick of it, but nonetheless had a baseline affection for this adventure game approach.

Decided to jump back in to the controversial latter two games since I was already fiddling with 3DS stuff again.

Boy can I see the cause of the negativity!

For one, the transition to 3D graphics totally sucks. To an extent, it's kind of impressive that they managed to impute some of the animation style of the pixel games to the polygonal overhaul, but overall it adds nothing to the gameplay and just makes most of it look worse. Wright in particular looks like ****. And overall it just makes everything blander and pokier.

On top of that, the game strips out much of the adventure game DNA by taking away environmental exploration outside of a few very constricted spaces. Most of the investigation portion feels like its on rails as a result, diverging toward a plain visual novel trajectory. Very lame.

The actual trial stuff also feels considerably more spoon fed than in previous games, with the characters bordering on just stating out loud the solutions. Athena's emotional psychology stuff also just blows and feels like Telltale-level fake interaction scheme.

I'm still going for the time being, because this series is still good at stringing you along with the mystery content, but damned if this title isn't toeing into walking sim territory.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: February 15, 2022, 03:11:13 AM »
As happened with Stardew Valley in the last game, the current Mafia game got me to play Pikmin 3 Deluxe, where I started a new file, this time playing on hard mode. I just adore this game. The Pikmin series has always been one of my favorites, I went as far as to import New Play Control Pikmin 2 from Europe back in the day, and Pikmin 3 is just the perfect synthesis of the best ideas of the first two games. I'm so happy this game got a second chance on Switch, and I hope more people got to experience its greatness. It seems like it did reasonably well, so here's hoping Nintendo goes back to the series and gives us Pikmin 4.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 15, 2022, 01:26:06 PM »
Don't you worry, I have it on good authority that Pikmin 4 was completed years ago.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 15, 2022, 05:33:30 PM »
It was close, and seven-ish years later I have to assume it’s even closer now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 18, 2022, 09:16:35 PM »
As happened with Stardew Valley in the last game, the current Mafia game got me to play Pikmin 3 Deluxe, where I started a new file, this time playing on hard mode. I just adore this game. The Pikmin series has always been one of my favorites, I went as far as to import New Play Control Pikmin 2 from Europe back in the day, and Pikmin 3 is just the perfect synthesis of the best ideas of the first two games. I'm so happy this game got a second chance on Switch, and I hope more people got to experience its greatness. It seems like it did reasonably well, so here's hoping Nintendo goes back to the series and gives us Pikmin 4.

I think Pikmin 3 gets very close to fully nailing it, but doesn't quiiiite get there. The fruit collection is ultimately too easy to put real pressure on (and the fruit are not nearly as satisfying to collect as the human flotsam from the previous games). The sequence that pulls the rug out for a bit is very memorable as a result.

Like, each game is a 9/10 in its own right, but it always feels like it's just shy of true greatness. Someday P4 will come and become the rapture.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 18, 2022, 10:16:02 PM »

I think Pikmin 3 gets very close to fully nailing it, but doesn't quiiiite get there. The fruit collection is ultimately too easy to put real pressure on (and the fruit are not nearly as satisfying to collect as the human flotsam from the previous games). The sequence that pulls the rug out for a bit is very memorable as a result.

Like, each game is a 9/10 in its own right, but it always feels like it's just shy of true greatness. Someday P4 will come and become the rapture.

You're right that it isn't as much of a push as it could have been, but at least there's something forcing you forward. Even playing on hard mode I've got 20 days worth of juice saved up 13 days in. I'm close to the bit you referenced, and it would have been nice if they did some more stuff like that. It could use a bit more fine tuning, and I would like to see the purple and white Pikmin return as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 21, 2022, 05:42:10 PM »
I played through the campaign with my wife and non-gamer type with limited play skills. The fruit actually got dangerously low while we were working together because of how much more challenging it was to juggle my work while helping her elsewhere. There was a genuine risk we would run out for a few days.

I do wish we could hunt for treasure as well. Make it a bit more open-world/sandbox where we show up with limited supplies and have to gather food and other critical resources while also hunting for treasure and it would really elevate the entire experience.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 26, 2022, 04:48:33 AM »
One of the first things I bought when I got my Xbox 360 14 years ago, and really one of the reasons I wanted the system in the first place, was Mass Effect. It really seemed like a game designed specifically for me with its big sci-fi story. So anyway, I'm finally getting around to playing it now, two console generations later after buying it again via the recent remaster, and I'm really enjoying it. Probably should have done this sooner.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 09, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »
Last few months i've been finishing up all the achievements on

Desktop Dungeons (Steam):

I haven't touched the game for almost a decade now! I initially gave up on it because i felt it lost the simplicity and accessiblity of original freeware game. Transition from GameMaker to Unity also hurt them, i feel. UI instead of a simple "pick your class, pick your dungeon" screen became very bloated and confusing. New quest system instead of easing in new players only discourages playing further. Added class tutorials, puzzle boxes and class challenges were too hard. Even the new music i found too loud, distracting and a bad fit despite the pedigree of Grant Kirkhope and Danny Baranowsky.

At least web-version that replcates original DD is still there -- and was even playable in Wii U browser!

So this year i got back into Steam version to finish it off. And even if all my complaints are still true, coming back to it i kinda started to see what they were trying to do with quest system and building up your kingdom idea and slow-rolling unlocks. Late game unlocks in this game are kinda insane and require very intricate knowledge of game's systems. Back then i didn't even know how "burning" effect works, but it's basically mandatory to take down some of the later bosses.

Many of the class challenges and puzzle boxes i just gave up on and had to look up the trick or the exact sequence of steps you need to replicate to beat them. Deviating from that sequence, misclicking away even on one wrong block means failure. And that's kinda my general problem -- at harder difficulties game constantly requires to teeter on the edge where one wrong click -- and you're dead ending 30 minutes-1 hour run. I guess i can somewhat fix it by setting to only attack on right-clicking, but you can still fail by just "moving wrong" if you left-click somewhere you're not supposed to.

So as i was finishing this game (only 4 achievements left!) i see that they're redoing the game (again) with 3d graphisc and new gimmick of rewinding turns -- which addresses my criticism of sudden deaths by misclicking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smrfXYhnKCc

I am cautiously excited.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 09, 2022, 01:58:18 PM »
So Unrailed is free on Epic store. I liked the demo on Switch so jumped on this. Having a blast with it solo and with randoms online. Might even grab it on Switch since it seems like a great party game.

Goal is to build a railroad for a non-stop train by gathering resources to build the track the train runs on. Over time the train speeds up, but at checkpoints you get to buy upgrades to the carts that make tracks, buy new cars that help you, and upgrade the train to progress to new levels and slow the train back down.

Has a bit of a Minecraft aesthetic but plays like Overcooked where it is easy to learn but progressively gets harder to master.
My Game Collection

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 03, 2023, 02:34:22 AM »
Hi-Fi Rush (PC, Steam):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2i1Vq3Odbg

This feels like the best (action) game since DMC5. I kinda bought a new PC to play this game -- when the game didn't run on my old PC i figured i might as well use this as a reason to upgrade.

Such a fresh feeling game. My only criticism would be that rhythm mini-games can sometimes feel too precise. I was stuck at one minigame for almost an hour. I couldn't tell if it was my setup, my sucking at rhythm or some kind of bug with this particular minigame...

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 08, 2023, 12:33:56 AM »
Played the credits on Hi Fi Rush. Game is not even that deep combat-wise or even well balanced for either first or further playthroughs, but charming art-style, music and freshness of it all really makes me overlook it all.

The graphics on this game is pretty much my Platonic ideal how modern games should look like -- high frames, striking colour schemes, distinctive silhouettes.

Reminds me of Splatoon 1 in a way, where freshness of the concept is so overwhelming it can make people forgive some rough edges. And the game is not even that janky -- it's an extremely polished game, but personally i just had some problems with some of the rhythm mini-games during battles.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 05, 2023, 08:59:54 AM »
Loop Hero quickly captured me, and i'm chewing through it quickly.  A hero whose lost their memories comes across a small outpost of fellow people trying to piece together their memories and how they break this cycle has just the right amount of mystery and keeps the story engaging so far.  The overarching goal is to get through enough loops of the action to unlock a final boss and finish them off.

I'd almost describe it as a Macro RPG.  You don't directionally control the hero, instead they run across a randomly generated loop, with a camp that acts as the "go" tile from Monopoly (pass go, get health refilled).  Battling is all auto generated when bumping into monsters in that loop.  The map is constructed of tiles, and you receive cards randomly as those monsters are killed, as well as armor/weapons/equipment.  The cards themselves are things like vampire mansions, spider nests, graveyards, etc that when placed on the loop will generate more challenging monsters, but will yield higher rewards when beat.  Other land or structure cards will yield things like higher health max, regenerative health.  There is a good push/pull of trying to decide when to place down cards, because making a loop too hard could prematurely kill you.

There is also a base building portion between loops.  Resources you obtain during the action will allow structures to be built that can add permanent buffs, open up new kinds of resources, and some permanent buffs.  In doing so, the game also meters-out conversations that gives a broader picture of the world you're stuck into.  Like the loops, it's very passive but satisfying.

Having a great time with it, can't recommend it enough, and fortunately it won't take long before you can decide whether it's for you or not.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 09, 2023, 04:09:41 PM »
Been trying to play Advance Wars. Nice throwback and really scratches the itch that Wargroove could never quite itch. Though it is missing some of the more streamlined options that come in Wargroove or even modern Fire Emblem games (auto-turn end when all moves are exhausted, inability to skip the CO animations).
My Game Collection

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 09, 2023, 11:29:16 PM »
Loop Hero quickly captured me, and i'm chewing through it quickly.

Played it a few times and it's okay i guess if monotonous, but never managed to go past second (?) upgrade.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #1844 on: July 27, 2023, 11:01:03 AM »
I recently had the pleasure of playing "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition" and it was an absolute thrill from start to finish. The game follows the story of Geralt of Rivia, a legendary monster hunter known as a Witcher. As Geralt, players are tasked with uncovering the mystery behind a dark force known as the Wild Hunt, all while navigating political intrigue, complex relationships, and dangerous monsters. With stunning graphics and detailed character development, "The Witcher 3" offers a thrilling and engaging gameplay experience. The game is filled with memorable characters, including Geralt's companions such as the sorceress Yennefer and the bard Dandelion. Each side quest is carefully crafted with its own unique narrative, providing hours upon hours of gameplay. The characters and their stories were the true gems of the game, as every interaction felt like a meaningful encounter that would have a lasting effect on the world around me. The voice acting was top-notch and every character felt like a real person with their own motivations and agendas. I especially enjoyed the game's combat system, which was both challenging and satisfying. Fights against stronger enemies required careful planning and strategy, but the feeling of triumph after taking down a powerful foe was incredibly rewarding.

Were you playing on Switch? If so, what did you think of the graphics and performance of the Switch port?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: August 04, 2023, 01:04:31 PM »
Loop Hero is free on the Epic Game Store at the moment. It's like PS+ or Games with Gold but free.

Offline WiiUIVLife

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: October 09, 2023, 01:29:19 PM »
I have a lot of games, the best part is once I finish one or get s tired of it I just start all over again one that I haven't played in a long time.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 23, 2023, 08:14:28 AM »
Man, I am not vibing with Transistor. I don’t know if this is a quality that all Supergiant Games suffer from (this is my first of their catalogue), but the game does not tutorialize itself well at all, and that’s beside the fact that the story remains nebulous, but also infuriatingly chatty at all times. I don’t mind an ambiguous narrative, I actually welcome them from time to time. But the over-talkative nature of the Transistor and the lack of substance in so many of its comments is grating.

I am about halfway through and learned about its ridiculously punishing revive system, which then led me online to discover the true nature of its customization options. I was confused by all the individuals praising its versatility when I finally realized how to switch functions. Anyway, the combat bores me and I’m thinking I’ll probably drop it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: November 16, 2023, 10:52:55 AM »
My current game is Jusant.  it's a quiet game of a person mountain climbing.  Long periods of moving hands to pull yourself up and finding the right path to climb up, with a cryptic story told through notes left behind.  Love it, highly recommend for those wanting just a quiet, chill adventure.