Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 689190 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
What are you playing?
« on: May 24, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »
It's not everyday you buy new games or beat them. Or feel the need to ask for help.

Most of my gaming is just playing four or five random games from my collection, slowly progressing through, level by level every day.

I think we need a thread to post random thoughts about games we just play.

Last evening i played:

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Still on Grandmaster Galaxy. I made an effort to collect all remaining stars but they weren't kidding with the very last level. Even if i stock up on some lives in the first level i still waste them on in segment with electric bars (switching from platforming to pointing action when you have to fly in space in the middle of this sequence is kinda disorienting) and last sequence with lots of turtles throwing crap at me. Also that last star coin in that level i think implies that to get it, i might need to try to save up cloud power up all the way from the beginning without getting any damage.

Rayman Origins

Steadily finishing up. This might be an issue with Wii controls (i use classic controller) but controls and physics feel somewhat even looser and floatier than before, after playing and getting the hang of Rayman Legends Challenge App. Might be because Rayman Legends tightened things up majorly or just playing with two different controllers make that much difference.

Rayman Legends Challenge App

As usual -- an hour or so to gather some silver cups, while watching (more like listening) cycling on tv.

Rhythm Paradise (Rhythm Heaven DS)

After i collected all 50 medals, game started giving perfect opportunities non-stop one after another. I still have 20 or something games not perfected. Some of them i never will i think (Moai Doo Whoop games... ugh). Guitar stuff that unlocks by the end is pretty cool. I hated guitars at first but once it clicked, i love it especially levels when you have to twang the strings with shoulder button. Sometimes i play "Rockers 2" just for no reason, cause i already perfected it long ago.

It's still kinda funny how weird scoring is in this game, getting "Super" (medal) is sometimes is much, much more challenging than "Perfect" ("Shooter", i'm looking at you).

Find Mii

It's my second 3DS, so i'm still on the first game. I beat it once, but from i remember second game unlocks only after second playthrough, so that's what i am doing. I'm in the last room.

It goes without saying that i freaking love all these games.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:25:51 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:30:23 AM »
I am playing Skullgirls and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Mastering fighting games is a never ending process, y'know.

I've also been playing Saints Row 3 because I like funny games where you kill cops.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:45:36 AM »
Super Metroid, (friggin' wall jump) Resident Evil Revelations (friggin' dodge) Serious Same BFE (friggin' lack of gonzo action so far)

Offline Dow Jones

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »
Played some MH3 using Online for the first time ever tonight and that was fucking awesome!! I also try and play Find Mii as much as possible since I didn't know before last year's Anime Expo that it existed and how to use it. So much regret but I love it now.

I also play 90's Pool on my lunch breaks. Hahaha.
Add Me!

NNID: skyeevans
3DS: 5370-0428-0148
PSN: dowjonesreno
Tumblr: theskyefiles
Twitter: dowjonesreno
XBL: skyeevans

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:48 AM »
Marvel Pinball 3D is currently hogging most of my gaming (and sometimes non-gaming) time at the moment. I really enjoy the Blade and Fantastic Four tables.  My only complaint: who is this annoying Yoshidious guy who tops all my friend list scores by a healthy margin?
 ;)

For a "real" game, I'm making good progress on Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.  Currently mid-way through chapter 4... but keep falling asleep while playing in bed.

Finally, I'm still working through Ys Book I & II on Wii Virtual Console after having started during the RFN retroactive, and have recently finished the Burnland section.  This gives an idea of how little TV time I get for gaming - unless you count Disney Princess games or Dog Island with my young daughter.
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
Still making progress on Rayman (Origins on Wii and Challenge App on Wii U), SMG2 (got 241st star, didn't get the star coin).

Also.

Ghost and Goblins on Wii Arcade
My best result on one continue so far is level 5, but this morning i couldn't even get through level 3...

Tetris Axis on 3DS
Had two matches online, got my ass kicked. Apparently i even had one friend playing the same game at the same time, dammit Nintendo why couldn't you do proper invite system...

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
Gran Turismo 5.  I recently purchased a steering wheel and pedals, and lemme tell you, racing games with a wheel is so much better than with a controller.  Makes me wish I had the room to build one of those sim rigs that some guys have.  Never really understood how some people got so deep into these games, but now I'm beginning to understand.

Also, still picking away at Far Cry 3.  It seems I'm into the homestretch of the game's storyline.  So far, the game has been fantastic.  I'm really enjoying the predator/prey setup they have on the islands.  I recall scouting around an encampment, stalking among the bushes and trees.  Little did I know, I was being stalked by a komodo dragon(a good sound system/headphones are vital)!  It attacked me, so I made a run for the encampment and headed straight towards the nearest baddie.  As I approached, I changed course and headed back into the bushes.  The dragon kept going and engaged the baddies and took out most of the encampment on its own.  Emergent gameplay ftw!  Taking over the outposts is really the highlight of this game for me.  It's a lot of fun scouting out the environment and planning your moves ahead of time, and then having to improvise when the plan goes awry.

I checked out Defiance last night as part of the free weekend on Steam.  Seems like an OK MMO, I guess, but it felt dead.  I dunno, not really worth $50.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
I'm really hoping once Project CARS drops on Wii U, that Logitech will put out a decent force feedback steering wheel/pedals set for the console. I can't wait to get my hands on that game.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Fable II - Was in the mood for a WRPG and the Sims so I decided to play the one game that adds them both together.
10000000- Nice little indie Puzzle RPG I got after watching the GiantBomb quick look.
Forza 3- Drive Club, Gran Tursimo 6, and Forza Fuve got me in the mood for a racer.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
Currently playing Tales of Phantasiap (GBA ver.), and I'm finishing up the last bit of sidequests before I take on the final area/boss of the game. Really enjoying my play-through - so much so that I can't believe I missed out on this back during its original release. Battle mechanics are great, game controls really well, characters are decently fun, and the graphics are great for the GBA conversion.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »
Currently playing Tales of Phantasia (GBA ver.), and I'm finishing up the last bit of sidequests before I take on the final area/boss of the game. Really enjoying my play-through - so much so that I can't believe I missed out on this back during its original release. Battle mechanics are great, game controls really well, characters are decently fun, and the graphics are great for the GBA conversion.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »
Currently playing Tales of Phantasiap (GBA ver.), and I'm finishing up the last bit of sidequests before I take on the final area/boss of the game. Really enjoying my play-through - so much so that I can't believe I missed out on this back during its original release. Battle mechanics are great, game controls really well, characters are decently fun, and the graphics are great for the GBA conversion.

This is a great game. It's what really turned me onto the Tales of games, and I've been a fan ever since.

That said, I seem to recall a few awkward moments where the game really didn't give you a fair idea of where to go and what to do next.  One part in particular, where you have to sleep at a specific inn to trigger a required event, forced me to check a FAQ after wasting a moderate amount of time. 

Also, voice "acting" on GBA?  That was amazing!

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
Oh, no doubt, on the voice acting. And yeah, I've had to use a FAQ a time or two playing this game. No big deal, though.
Muh Backloggery!

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
Currently playing Resident Evil Revelations, Red Steel 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Other M. (First time playing any of the Metroid games, pretty decent I must say.)

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
Half Life Deathmatch LAN match on dm_crossfire
It's still great. Played an hour or so during lunch break with colleagues. So many memories of playing this map when i was a student...

Ghost and Goblins Arcade
Got to 4th level and then fell to platforms in the very beginning, lost all lives in there. Aside from that, 4th level is pretty easy. At least i got to practice this part.

Rayman Origins
Nothing really new -- just collecting lums.

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
Had a hell of a time trying to contain Kevin Durant in my My Player season in NBA 2k13.  Pulled away late in the third when he was on the bench, but he was still on fire when he came back into the game.  I've been a big fan of this series since 2k11, I think, and they've really done a good job improving with each year.  I would really like to see 2k get access to the NFL license again, some day, but they've really dropped the ball with the NHL and MLB games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
2K didn't lose the NHL license, they just chose to stop making NHL games based on how poorly theirs was doing compared to EA's. That's why a few years ago they made one for the Wii but not 360/PS3, because they had no competition from EA there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
I've been switching between Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Resident Evil Revelaitons HD. I put Super Metroid on hold. Maybe one day I'll return to Batman Arkham City,

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
I've been playing Metroid Prime for the first time recently. I've had the Trilogy disc sitting here since it came out, and the release of Super Metroid, which I've also been playing, as well as my summer desire to play through some of my backlog, have gotten me to boot it up.

I've also been playing a trio of platformers in Super Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and New Super Mario Bros.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »
The Prime series is magical.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
Yeah, I've been playing that too due to getting the Trilogy the other day. I still think that the Wii Remote+/Nunchck control scheme is better for FPS's than keyboard/mouse is.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:15 AM »
I'm currently playing Soul Sacrifice on my Vita, as well as Resident Evil: Revelations HD & Call of Juarez: Gunslinger on PS3.  It's unfortunate that Soul Sacrifice is as addictive as it is, because I've barely even touched the other two and both are quite good at what they aim for. In fact, I question why Gunslinger is even saddled with the Call of Juarez name, because I dismissed that game when it launched because of the bad name that series has. It wasn't until all these podcasts started talking about it and saying that it was surprisingly excellent that I gave it a try.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
I actually made some progress in Saints Row: The Third's story last night.  Usually when I play that game, I get sidetracked by all the craziness and end up accomplishing essentially nothing.  But I've been watching some Saints Row IV trailers, and I really want to finish up before that comes out.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »
In the last three days, i've played Special 8 - Crown level of Super Mario 3D Land almost exclusively. I just really wanted to beat it and be done with it.

I've unlocked it a month ago, but and finally managed to do it this morning. I think i dumped additional 7-9 hours on this.

For some stupid reason, i wanted to beat it with regular Luigi or Mario. Didn't want to do it with a racoon suit. First i played as regular Luigi, but after first day i switched to regular Mario and did it with him. It's much, much easier to do with racoon suit.

This level is really tough, guys. I think by now after playing it so many times i can write an essay about an each individual platforming challenge.

This is the kind of challenge that makes you learn a lot. Like Rayman Challenges App on Wii U taught me a lot how to properly handle somewhat obtuse platforming physics of Rayman 2d games, this level did the same for me for SML 3D Land.

I learned how to do a rolling jump (you can beat entire game without knowing it's even there, i am not sure if it's a compliment or a slight to game designers).

I re-learned that flying goombas send you way higher up like launch pads when you jump on them with jump button already pressed (i actually sorta knew it, cause i DID beat Lost Levels which had a few levels with like this, i just didn't understood completely how it worked).

I realized how to properly use Mario's momentum in his jumps and while the difference is too fine for normal levels, that S8 Crown level really demands it.

One of the most amusing parts was the very last one with the letters saying THANK YOU!. I got to it yesterday two times, but for some reason i thought i had to jump on the actual letters and fell from them instead of getting on convenient and completely safe levitating platform below.

Also funny how i didn't realized what was i exactly am i jumping on, until after i fell from letter "Y" in THANK YOU!.

What an amazing game, what an amazing level.

Along with Gunman Clive i also downloaded 3DS demo of Rayman Origins, because i remember how i couldn't beat the Playing the Shade challenge in it at all, despite trying for at least hundred times and i wanted to know if i really got better at 2d platforming a year after. Or at least in 2d "Rayman platforming" because of a slightly borked physics of it.

I beat this challenge on Wii a week ago, and this demo also took me like five tries to beat this time around.

After that i played a shooting level from the demo and while i remember having a bit of trouble collecting more than 300+ lums on this particular level, on 3DS it was reworked extensively and i got 490 on first try.

Also i was reminded again how butchered that port was.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
Pulled a couple old games off the shelf to start playing.

First up, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS). Very early on, I have to say that I'm loving the production values, but the action-based gameplay is really hurt by the touch controls. (Not that they did a bad job with touch-based controls, just that I find nearly all touch-based games to be somewhat awkward and imprecise.) Still seems fun enough and I look forward to playing more.

For console play, I pulled Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) off the shelf so that I could get enough friend vouchers stored up to unlock everything before online services are shut down - that happens at the end of the month, I believe?  It's pretty easy to get 10 vouchers to send, and luckily I've got two Wii consoles so sending them back and forth a couple of times won't take that long.  If there is anyone else (in North America) looking to exchange vouchers before the deadline, drop me a message.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:08:09 PM by ejamer »