Poll

Which one of these Game Boy Advance games (all included in the 3DS Ambassador program) should RFN crew and listeners play and discuss together?

Wario Land 4
51 (40.8%)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
52 (41.6%)
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
22 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: January 12, 2012, 09:17:26 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition  (Read 31741 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
I've never touched the Fire Emblems, and I'm not sure going to start now (with the second one, even if it is more playable than the first),

If you're worried about the lack of continuity, the games are usually stand-alone, like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Sacred Stones doesn't even reference the prior games. Besides, Sacred Stones is, like, the eighth game in the series, not the second. :P

I've got a feeling Micro Games isn't on the list because there saving for a different categoried Retroactive.

The "Should Be On LSD When Playing" Retroactive is going to be amazing.

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Voted for Fire Emblem because I've not listened to the RFN crew discussing this series much.

Same here, haven't touch any of these though.

Offline Geezer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
I (an ambassador) voted for Kirby.  Of the 3 choices, this is the only one I've had a chance to play a bit of.  I read about the game on another website and the opinion was that it was an uneven game with some metroid-like exploration.  Some thought it was much more difficult than most Kirby games.  I shied away from Fire Emblem because I thought that it would be rather long in comparison to the others.  Wario was a close second choice, but what I've read about it indicates it is far from the best Wario game.  My time is so limited that I need a quick play game.
I posted the above yesterday.  After writing it I had a chance to play the other 2 games.  Wario was surprisingly good.  I enjoyed it more than Kirby.  The RPG, is frankly quite boring in my opinion.  I've had little experience playing JRPG's.  Maybe, given more playing time, I would feel differently.  I've only played the first chapter, and I was left with the feeling that I was doing nothing but clicking my way through a hackneyed story.  Even the battling was out of my control.  But it looks as if Fire Emblem will get the most votes. :@  Dunno if I'm dedicated enough to go much further with it.
It's been about a week since I initially posted this.  Since then, I've played 5 chapters of the Sacred Stones.  I'm liking it better than I thought I would.  The game is well polished.  My impression thus far is that the battling is easy.  My units seem so much stronger than the enemy.  My attacks rarely miss.  The enemy's attacks often miss.  Maybe things become more difficult later in the game.  I've only played about 20 percent of it.  The least attractive thing about this game is the story.  I do rapid key presses in the textual parts and quickly skim read my way through.   But overall, I'm happy with it ;D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:39:08 PM by Geezer »

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »
Face it, it's going to be Warioland 4, muwahahahahaha.

Well, one way or the other, I finally have the damn game that is going to be played!
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline HellsAttack

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
I voted for Fire Emblem because I never beat them. I'm a perfectionist and get soo pissed when one of my units dies. Maybe retroactive will make me finally finish one, Advance Wars are some of my favorite games.

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
Yeah, please don't vote for Fire Emblem, people.  I have a demanding job!  :'(
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
I just have to say, I love how people saying don't vote for fire emblem and everyone else is voting for it anyways xD. Anyways, I voted for Fire Emblem. I have played the game so much I could probably breeze through the game in a week and this game is the easiest in the series, simply because it's way to easy to abuse the challange tower or whatever it's called to level your troops up to way higher then they should be. I am excitted though and whatever game gets picked I am sure will be a blast
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:39:21 PM by Da Jarvis »
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
Easy, sure. Time-consuming, yeah that too.

People who aren't interested in seeing Fire Emblem played/discussed are probably people like me who can't commit to playing through a long game in a timely fashion, and don't want spoilers. If it is selected, that pretty much locks me out from participating and kills any interest I have in listening until after I do find time for the game.

Not a knock against Fire Emblem. Definitely a knock against having a full time job, family commitments, and interests outside of just video games though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »
Fire Emblem is our winner, by ONE VOTE!

Thanks to everyone who voted! Wario will return soon in a Second Chance poll.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »
Ah, the only GBA game out of the 10 ambassador games I already had played gets selected. Darn. I guess I should have voted for Wario over Kirby, it would be a tie right now.

I like Fire Emblem, but I have too many games to beat to go back to beat something a second time. But I'll chime in if I can remember some stuff about it. It's been 5+ years.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay. I'm already half way through it anyways, might as well chip in my few cents.

Ah, the only GBA game out of the 10 ambassador games I already had played gets selected. Darn. I guess I should have voted for Wario over Kirby, it would be a tie right now.

You voted for Nader!!!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
I changed my vote from Warioland to Fire emblem just a day or so ago...does that mean it's my fault that we're playing it?  :Q

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
I changed my vote from Warioland to Fire emblem just a day or so ago...does that mean it's my fault that we're playing it?  :Q
You got a butterfly ballot!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
*Burns*Excellent*/Burns*
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »
Well I'm sitting this one out. Fire emblem isn't my thing and i don't think I have time to complete this in time for the retroactive anyways.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:23:34 PM by Lithium »

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
Awesome. It will be nice to play a new Nintendo franchise and genre as a group. I might hate it or end up loving it. From the little bit I've played it feels like it can go either way for me. In Wario Land's defense it is a great game and I hope it does get picked in another round of return RetroActives. But for now- enough with the platformers, let's Strategize!!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Well I'm sitting this one out. Fire emblem isn't my thing and i don't think I have time to complete this in time for the retroactive anyways.

Yeah, I'm out too.

I barely have time to play quick sessions of WarioWare lately. Sitting though lengthy levels of Fire Emblem madness is great fun, but not something I can commit to this month.  Guess I'll be skipping that part of the show to avoid spoilers since I'm pretty excited about playing the game (eventually).

Hope others enjoy the game! It really is a great series IMO.
NNID: ejamer

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »
I'm happy Fire Emblem won.  As I said before I don't think either of the other two games are very good.  And I've already played a significant amount of Sacred Stones in the last month.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
The only game I've dabbled in in this series is Path of Radiance. This will be a nice reason for me to play a game through to the end, hopefully.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »
Holy crap that was close...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »
I thought I might be out but started playing it this morning on my commute. So, I guess I am in.

Here are my thoughts so far, since there does not yet appear to be a dedicated thread.

1. I have never played a Fire Emblem game before.

2. I am playing this one on the easy setting because the description said that was the only one with a tutorial.

3. I watched the whole intro video and also the rundown of unit types that follows. Nice variety. And there's dead, re-animated units. Ooooh, spooky. Also, I like the art style of the anime character protraits. Reminds me of how Puzzle Quest is presented. I realize Puzzle Quest is the imitator here, I just played that one first.

4. So far, the music is quite good too, though more "rockin' arcade" than I was expecting in a typical Nintendo game. Reminds me of a Capcom action game, like Megaman or something (though admittedly I have played very little MegaMans).

5. The tutorial so far is excellent. Walking me through, step by step. And I quite like the time it is taking with setting up the story, too. If it was all just turn-based action I might get put off. But they have cleverly hooked me by getting me to first give a crap about the characters and the world politics.

6. The text does not scroll fast enough. But I can get it to jump to the end of the scrolling by hitting the A button. Problem solved and thank you.

7. I have played the two Age of Empires DS games. I liked them both, the first one (Age of Kings) a bit better than the second (Mythologies). They are turn based strategy with different unit types and all that jazz, so this game is not as foreign to me as I thought it might be. I am digging the heavier story emphasis in this Fire Emblem game.

8. I like the "weapon triangle" rock-paper-scissors mechanic. Lance-beats-sword, sword-beats-axe, axe-beats-lance. Easy to remember and should be fun to play around with in the strategy. I am sure more strategy layers are coming.

9. I am VERY impressed with the music. I noticed about half way through the prologue chapter that it changes dynamically depending on the action of the chapter. It is seamless and the shifting music is pleasing and sets the tone of the action very well. I am really floored by this. It was very unexpected.

10. I have finished the prologue chapter and am about half way through chapter one proper. Some friendly units just showed up to help my fleeing princess and her knight. I think I get to control them next. All-in-all, I am pleased so far.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:21:47 AM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
Have been now looking through the "guide" screens as the tutorial helpfully told me to go check them out by clicking the A button anywhere on the map that is otherwise unoccupied. Lots of good info in there and its also where you can save or suspend the game. Game also auto-suspends if you head back to the 3DS home menu with the Home button.

But, on the downside, they have white lettering on a pale blue background all through the guides. I can barely make out the text. Squiniting abounds!

Lord, I am old.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:23:41 AM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline WaTanooki

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
Warioland 4 gets my vote

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
The official discussion thread is now available:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=36721.0
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
Warioland 4 gets my vote

;D

Out of curiousity though, what would've happened if the poll ended in a tie?