Author Topic: The Wind Waker to recieve "unprecedented" score from EGM.  (Read 11130 times)

Offline FFantasyFX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Wind Waker to recieve "unprecedented" score from EGM.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2003, 04:06:06 PM »
mouse_clicker:  Yup, you're right.  He does mention that, but in his opinion the spell is limited (I'm not quite sure how it works, does it only transport you to specific parts of the ocean?) and doesn't relieve the monotony enough.

I was surprised that all three of EGM's reviewers thought the dungeon designs were clever and/or difficult.  On certain message boards all I had been hearing was that the dungeons were a let-down and pathetically easy.  Those posters must be related to that guy who wrote Metroid Prime Boss FAQ.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2003, 04:49:54 PM »
Hm, well I guess nothing will satisfy him if even the spell doesn't please him. Some people have to count his blessings- I remember having to travel great lengths everywhere in LttP.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline The Old Beane

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2003, 05:54:24 PM »
I think that if we simply don't think of travelling as a task to be achieved, we'll probably get alot more fun out of it. I used to make sure I took long-cuts in Ocarina of Time, while riding Epona, cause I thought it was just fun to do. Maybe thats why the other two guys thought the boat travelling was not tedious and the other did.

And, yeah, Link to the Past had a fair bit of travelling involved (especially at the beginning), but I'm sure we didn't care
The Old Beane

100% Psycho
May contain traces of nut.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2003, 06:21:14 PM »
Well I don't think the guys blowing things out of proportion with the sailing thing. The overworld is made up of 49 squares each the size of Hyrule Field and each of those contain an island. I've heard from several people that most of the islands are extremely small (just big enough to have a cave opening or something like that). One guy said the biggest island in the game is the size of Kokiri Forest (I'm pretty sure that doesn't include the Lost Woods or the Deku Tree's little area). Because most of the overworld is made up of water you'll have to sail almost all the time to get anywhere. The reason why the warp spell isn't that good is because it only warps you to a couple of locations. This means that even with the warp spell you'll probably still have to sail to get were you are going. Not only do you have to sail a lot but I've read it takes a long time. I know on one forum a guy who has played the game said it takes like 15 mins to get from one end of the world to the other.

As far as the difficulty goes that's probably going to depend on who's playing it. For one thing veteran gamers tend to find games too easy these days while newbies tend to find games too hard. This is of course because veteran gamers started playing when it was almost impossible to beat the first level of most games. Also there's the fact that veteran gamers are older and have more experience. I've heard a lot of complaints though that after you get 10 hearts you practically become an immortal god.

Of course I haven't played the game yet (other than the demo) so all of this info comes from forums and internet reviews and could be wrong or exaggerated.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2003, 04:59:41 AM »
Could it be Zelda: Wind Waker is a little *too* realistic?  I'm sure exploring new continents with Columbus and Ponce de Leon was a hell-out-of-a-lot-of-fun, but those loooooong 4 month ocean crossings must have been excruciatingly boring!

I remember playing a game called MicroProse Pirates! on my old C=64, and the ocean sailing was monotonous at times.  It just took soooo loooong to get anywhere.  Fortunately, the programers were smart enough to include a "FAST TIME" option to make time flow 4x faster.

Maybe that's what Zelda needs?

Difficulty: My primitive Atari 2600 had difficulty switches and multiple game variations per cartridge, so each player could tailor the game to his/her liking.  You could make Pac-Man run fast or slow.  Make the ghosts fast or slow.  Your choice.  Why don't modern games have this?  For example, Zelda: Wind Waker could have an option to start with 1 heart instead of 3 to increase difficulty.... or 10 hearts for children.  Why don't modern games do this?

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2003, 06:30:18 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
Could it be Zelda: Wind Waker is a little *too* realistic?  I'm sure exploring new continents with Columbus and Ponce de Leon was a hell-out-of-a-lot-of-fun, but those loooooong 4 month ocean crossings must have been excruciatingly boring!

Well, since it apparently takes a whole "excruciating" 15 minutes to cross the world, I must politely disagree with you.  Actually, it would be interesting to play a game where it takes quite a while to get from one location to another.  Certainly would force you to judiciously plan out your ventures.

I think GibdoMaster brings up a very valid point however.  I grew up on games like the original Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior and all those wonderful Koei simulations (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Uncharted Waters, Liberty or Death).  I've built up quite a tolerance to monotony.  

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2003, 01:27:13 PM »

Difficulty: My primitive Atari 2600 had difficulty switches and multiple game variations per cartridge, so each player could tailor the game to his/her liking.  You could make Pac-Man run fast or slow.  Make the ghosts fast or slow.  Your choice.  Why don't modern games have this?  For example, Zelda: Wind Waker could have an option to start with 1 heart instead of 3 to increase difficulty.... or 10 hearts for children.  Why don't modern games do this?

Because nintendo wants people to master the game and beat it because its challenging.  some people like to choose the easy way out and beat the easy mode that is meant for younger people when they are older.  it should include a way to make it harder after youve beaten it though for all the people who think that it is too easy.

Offline babble

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2003, 02:27:45 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
I remember playing a game called MicroProse Pirates! on my old C=64, and the ocean sailing was monotonous at times.  It just took soooo loooong to get anywhere.  Fortunately, the programers were smart enough to include a "FAST TIME" option to make time flow 4x faster.

Maybe that's what Zelda needs?

That's funny, because the first time I figured that you needed to cross sea in Zelda TWW, I also thought about one of my favorite old games on my tandy comp which was Pirates! And I absolutly loved traveling the high sea and the long time it took to cross those seas. From that point on, I hoped that it would be the same in TWW.

So you didn't like this part of the game, which is what I loved in it.

Which is probably the same thing for the critic that gave 9.5. He wants to "run" trough his games. Me, I love to stop and relax in between dungeons. I love it when a game let's me enjoy the moment. I don't want my good games to be over quickly.
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2003, 05:36:06 PM »
The sailing can seem monotonous at times, but there is plenty to do along the way.  Watchtowers, smaller ships, islands, sharks, octoroks (small and large), cannons, sunken treasure, mini-games etc.  The ocean is so big and there are tons of things scattered about, so exploring takes time.  I had something like 5 or 6 heart containers and an item missing after I'd beaten the game.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2003, 03:42:11 AM »

Originally posted by: babble I love to stop and relax in between dungeons. I love it when a game let's me enjoy the moment. I don't want my good games to be over quickly.

im exactly the same i possibly could have completed OoT alot quicker than i did, but i tended to stray off and go fishing alot the thrill of catching a bigger fish than before was exciting (and tense trying to reel it in) back before i knew where exactly to get the 20 pounder ofcourse

Offline strat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2003, 10:54:11 AM »

Seriously, if they're giving Vice City a perfect score over Wind Waker, there's some MESSED up people working at that mag. What did the guy who gave it a 9.5 say why he didn't give it a perfect score?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Oh for the love of....

I was waiting for a post like that to start a big "EGM IS BIASED!!!!1 GCN IS THE BEST!!!1" thread...please don't let it happen...please...

Vice City DID deserve 10 10 10, and the guy's reasons for the 9.5 make perfect sense.  Besides, 10 10 9.5 is a pretty amazing score.
[] * []
Strat

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2003, 01:23:42 PM »
Instead of acting all paranoid about this, maybe they think that Wind Waker is one great game. It might place the scores like CGM (Computer Gaming Magazine) does and place reviews on a scale of 1-100, or something of that caliber. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. It's not much to get in a hissy fit over, is there? What EGM gives it is what EGM gives it. But a rating doesn't change how fun a game is, unless the rating lowers your expectations or something. EGM has Ocarina of Time fresh on their minds, and Wind Waker is/will be just as mind-blowing and fresh as OoT was five years ago.  
DON'T PANIC:
If you suffer from overactivity and are rather hyper, repeatedly press one.
If you are indecisive and need someone else to do stuff for you, get a friend to press two.
If you have schitzophrenia and any other multi-personality diseases, press three, four, five, six, seven, and

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2003, 02:08:13 PM »

Originally posted by: strat

Seriously, if they're giving Vice City a perfect score over Wind Waker, there's some MESSED up people working at that mag. What did the guy who gave it a 9.5 say why he didn't give it a perfect score?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Oh for the love of....

I was waiting for a post like that to start a big "EGM IS BIASED!!!!1 GCN IS THE BEST!!!1" thread...please don't let it happen...please...

Vice City DID deserve 10 10 10, and the guy's reasons for the 9.5 make perfect sense.  Besides, 10 10 9.5 is a pretty amazing score.

UMMM.....  I don't know how your world of gaming revolves around but mine revolves around being able to play a game...  WITHOUT GLITCHES!  GTA:VC is loaded with them and I haven't heard anything about a Wind Waker glitch.  If you don't believe me see this review.
Extended Play's FAIR review

This causes the frustration level to skyrocket for anyone trying to play "GTA: VC" as a game, rather than using it as a toy to play around with.

Fav quote from review

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2003, 03:51:10 PM »
"Vice City DID deserve 10 10 10, and the guy's reasons for the 9.5 make perfect sense. Besides, 10 10 9.5 is a pretty amazing score. "

WHAT are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? Vice City most definetly did NOT deserve a perfect score just like Majora's Mask didn't deserve any perfect scores. Yes, it's a fun game, but there's almost NOTHING new to it. It's like the equivalent to an expansion pack for a computer game. Only games that innovate deserve perfect scores and Wind Waker does a *hell* of a lot more innovating than Vice City did. Look, I'm not complaining about the 9.5- that's a GREAT score. I just thing someothing's wrong over at EGM if they have the balls to give a REHASH a perfect score over a sequel that actually tries new things. If you can't recognize that, you're far more blind to the fact that you can ever claim I am.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline strat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2003, 04:11:34 PM »
OK, I don't wanna start a big argument here, but in my opinion, Vice City deserved a 10 10 10 because, even though it was a lot like GTA3, it took the game to the next level.  It's an amazing game, nevermind if it's only a straight sequel.  The reason Majora's Mask didn't deserve a perfect score was because, simply enough, it just wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time.  It didn't have the same kind of story, levels, or anything else that made OOT so perfect.  Had it been an amazing game, it would deserve a perfect score, even though it was a straight sequel.

That's my opinion anyway, and you're entitled to yours.  Now have fun flaming!  
[] * []
Strat

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2003, 04:16:18 PM »
A lot like GTA3 is a understatement, my friende- it WAS GTA3, just with a different city. That's it, that's all. Majora's Mask at least gave us hours of new gameplay with the time feature and the masks to collect Vice City gave us....ummmm.... oh yeah, motorcycle. Now I understand that you're entitled to your opinion, but you have GOT to be intoxicated or something if you honestly think Vice City was so much better than GTA3 and had SO few flaws that it deserved a perfect score while Wind Waker did not.