Author Topic: Original Star Wars Trilogy to finally be released on DVD  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Original Star Wars Trilogy to finally be released on DVD
« on: February 10, 2004, 06:29:39 PM »
This is pretty big news considering people have been waiting for these movies to be released onto DVD for years.

Official press release.

This is going to piss some of you off but only the Special Edition versions will be released on DVD. George has said that as far as he is concerned the SEs are the only version that exist since that's the way he always wanted the films to be. Despite what many of the "OMG!!! George raped my childhood" bitchers have to say I feel George has every right to do this. He is the creator of those movies after all. Personally though I am a little disappointed we won't be getting the originals for comparisons sake and the fact that they are historically significant when it comes to movies.

My real disappointment though is that apparently there won't be any further changes to the films. Frankly I didn't really want anymore new scenes added but I was hoping that the special effects would be furthered fixed to be more consistent with the prequels. Actually I did want one scene change. I was hoping they would've had  Ian McDiarmid replace the monkey eyes/old woman Emperor in the Empire Strikes Back. Yep, the Emperor in the Empire Strikes Back is a composite shot of a monkey's eyes and an old woman wearing a hood. Oh and the voice of Clive Revill.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Original Star Wars Trilogy to finally be released on DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 06:42:12 PM »
oh geez... my girlfriend refuses to watch the special editions.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 06:49:30 PM »
It's kind of funny. but I don't really remember anyone complaining about the Special Editions until after the prequels started coming out. Of course from the very beginning most people didn't like Greedo shooting first, but other than that everyone seemed to like them.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 06:52:17 PM »
how does greedo shot first? i spose i could go back to my 10 year old or what ever taped off the tv copies of the originals, either way i'll get this as soon as it's out in PALly mcRegion 4

edit: err i pressed reply after reading bloodworth's post, and now gidbo master's is inbetween it makes the  'how does greedo shot first' comment seem like a question instead of a play on the 'how do i shot gun' type phrase dowab... so err *has allready left*
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
RE:Original Star Wars Trilogy to finally be released on DVD
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 07:05:27 PM »

Originally posted by: DrZoidberg
how does greedo shot first? i spose i could go back to my 10 year old or what ever taped off the tv copies of the originals, either way i'll get this as soon as it's out in PALly mcRegion 4

edit: err i pressed reply after reading bloodworth's post, and now gidbo master's is inbetween it makes the  'how does greedo shot first' comment seem like a question instead of a play on the 'how do i shot gun' type phrase dowab... so err *has allready left*

Indeed

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:54:33 PM »
Why is the special edition such an outrage?
Geez, I know Star Wars is like a life-style for many of you, but the people that claim 'childhood rape' when it comes to the Special Edition are just taking it too far.

Are the movies all THAT different to warrent such nonsensical bahviour from anyone?
NO!
Have a look at what you're complaining about:
- OMFG! He changed it so that there's no force field underneath Luke's speeder! It was vasalene! WHY GOD WHY? MURDER HIM!
- OMFG! There's new intro sequences for Mos Eisley, Cloud City and Yavin 4! KILL HIM!
- OMFG! He changed the snow speeders so that they aren't translucent!!
- OMFG! You can actually SEE the Ice Wampa! He ruined that scene!!
- OMFG! There's tentacles on the Sarlacc! THat is SOOO HENtai! ARRRGH!
- OMFG! New and improved musical sequences in RotJ!!!

Just because the SE doesn't show you what they did with the limited amount of SFX as in the original, doesn't mean it should be stabbed in the heart with a wooden stake.
It's all too trivial now.

EDIT: I like the Special Editions, btw.
And the RotJ music sequence at the end is WAAAAAY better than the rather mechanical-sounding music of the original.
And the IMPROVED musical sequence in Jabba's palace was fun, to say the least. Very different, which was what made it good.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 09:06:22 PM »
Her main beef with it is that a lot of the added stuff in the backgrounds is just distracting, and the computer effects look really out of place to her.  

In the same light, I do not at all enjoy the new music at the end, simply because it doesn't seem to match the scenes as well.  

I didn't mind the special editions much, but I still see them as alternate versions and don't like being forced to get them instead of how the movies were originally produced.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 09:27:22 PM »
The sad thing is that I've seen most of those complaints Termin8Anakin listed and written in almost the same way.

My only real complaint with the SEs is the Greedo shooting first thing. No, it has nothing to do with changing Han's character but just the fact that the scene looks so stupid now. How could anyone manage to miss a target sitting 5 feet across from them by about 3 feet? Also I wasn't too happy about how the CG Jabba looked in A New Hope. I was hoping they would make a new one for the long rumored Archive Editions but those rumors seemed to be debunked now. Oh and like I said in my first post I was disappointed there wasn't more special effects improvements.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 12:53:00 AM »
Bah!  Call me picky, but I would rather have the originals...

But it won't keep me from getting them...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 02:11:49 AM »
Seeing tht it is a DVD, they could just release both on the one disc seeing that they are just additions and subtractions to the original movie.

So you have the original which is nice and cleaned up and with the SE you just slap in the changes at the correct moment.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 09:51:42 AM »
Well this makes me pretty happy. SE or not I'm glad to have this as part of my collection. Now, if GL decides that after Episode 3 comes out that he wants to release an All-Mighty-Saga-Supreme-Box-Set with the always included "Never Before Seen Footage" then I might be a little mad. As long as the documentary Something to Jedi is included than I'LL be pretty happy.(Hello out there in tv land)  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 01:36:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
Why is the special edition such an outrage?
Geez, I know Star Wars is like a life-style for many of you, but the people that claim 'childhood rape' when it comes to the Special Edition are just taking it too far.

Are the movies all THAT different to warrent such nonsensical bahviour from anyone?
NO!
Have a look at what you're complaining about:
- OMFG! He changed it so that there's no force field underneath Luke's speeder! It was vasalene! WHY GOD WHY? MURDER HIM!
- OMFG! There's new intro sequences for Mos Eisley, Cloud City and Yavin 4! KILL HIM!
- OMFG! He changed the snow speeders so that they aren't translucent!!
- OMFG! You can actually SEE the Ice Wampa! He ruined that scene!!
- OMFG! There's tentacles on the Sarlacc! THat is SOOO HENtai! ARRRGH!
- OMFG! New and improved musical sequences in RotJ!!!

Just because the SE doesn't show you what they did with the limited amount of SFX as in the original, doesn't mean it should be stabbed in the heart with a wooden stake.
It's all too trivial now.

EDIT: I like the Special Editions, btw.
And the RotJ music sequence at the end is WAAAAAY better than the rather mechanical-sounding music of the original.
And the IMPROVED musical sequence in Jabba's palace was fun, to say the least. Very different, which was what made it good.

While that's understandable, and I feel people go way overboard in their complaints I do agree with them to an extent.  Sometimes even imperfections become part of the movie; I wouldn't be happy if Sam Raimi went back and digitally stitched up the seam in Ted Raimi's suit from Evil Dead II.  Sometimes it's campy fun; the vasoline isn't important in the context of the movie, but it's a cool part you remember enjoying as a child.  So I can understand having your childhood memories of a movie messed up; but the point to remember is that it's George Lucas' vision, not ours.  

I like the originals better than the Special Editions, but it doesn't bother me that the originals aren't making it to DVD.  Hopefully they make the new scenes flow a little better in the DVD Editions; they did look a little out of place, so it'd be great if they could fine tune them a little more with newer technology.  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 01:53:35 PM »
"I didn't mind the special editions much, but I still see them as alternate versions and don't like being forced to get them instead of how the movies were originally produced."

This is exactly my issue with the special editions.  This is like if they made it so the ONLY version of the classic A Christmas Carol available was the colourized version.  I want the f*cking OPTION to see whatever version of the movie I want.  It's  revisionist history otherwise.  I mean I prefer the extended cut of the Lord of the Rings movies but I'm still very grateful that if I want the original theatrical cut of those films I can get them on DVD.  The ONLY way to get the Star Wars trilogy as it was originally shown is pre-owned on VHS.  That's just crap.

I'm voting with my wallet.  I'm not buying THIS version of the Star Wars trilogy on DVD.  Not that I totally hate this version it's just that I want the option.  I suggest that if you want that option available hold off on buying the DVDs even if you prefer the Special Editions.

"but the point to remember is that it's George Lucas' vision, not ours."

Yeah but he ALREADY gave us one version over twenty years ago.  Why the f*ck shouldn't we be able to get that version if we want to?  This is about what movie I want for MY collection.  That has nothing to do with the "vision" of a talentless hack who got lucky once.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 03:33:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to have to look around and see if anyplace has the originals on VHS someplace.  I tried looking online, but it seems that all you can get are special editions.  I saw the originals in a place not too long ago, so I'm gonna swing by and see if it's still there.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 03:57:44 PM »
Anyone who lives in Sydney, specifically in/near Bankstown.
The Three Swallows Video Store in Yagoona has the old Star Wars movies on video.
Last time I checked anway.

It's in the sci-fi section, if anyone wants to know
I'll go there soon and see for myself.

Just check your local video store, they're bound to have it hiding somewhere.

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 06:05:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"but the point to remember is that it's George Lucas' vision, not ours."

Yeah but he ALREADY gave us one version over twenty years ago.  Why the f*ck shouldn't we be able to get that version if we want to?  This is about what movie I want for MY collection.  That has nothing to do with the "vision" of a talentless hack who got lucky once.

I'm with you on it, as I said I much prefer the originals, but they're his movies and his visions.  He doesn't have to put any version out at all, and when he doesn' it doesn't have to be the versions we want.  It sucks, but it's his perogative.  

But honestly, they've put out a million different sets of the original Star Wars trilogy, and I'm 100% positive this won't be the last.  What will piss me off (and I'm almost sure it'll happen, or at least something very similar) is if after Episode III they release a huge 9 disc boxed set that includes all six movies with the "exclusive" original versions of Episode IV - VI.  That way everyone's going to pay $100 for the version of the original trilogy they want.  

I know people who own the original trilogy close to 15 times; that's what I hate about Lucas (aside from Episode I & II)... people are charged over and over again for something they already have!  I have a feeling this is only happening so they can release the original cuts at a future date to bring in even more cash because honestly, it wouldn't cost much more to add a second disc with the original cuts.  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 06:28:14 PM »
Maybe I shoudnt ask this but what exactly is the big problem with episode II. Episode I, I understand why folks don't like it, I'm not one of them, I liked Ep. I but I know why people didn't like it. AotC on the other hand I don't see what all the harshness is all about. Maybe I'm blind cuz I like just about anything SW but I don't think so.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 07:39:25 PM »
On the subject of special editions, I think some of you will find this thread at theforce.net boards very interesting. Especially you Lord of the Rings fanboys (yes, you Ian Sane). It basically shows that George isn't the first person to tinker with their work for better or worse after its initial release. Make sure you scroll down to the 7th post for more examples.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 08:30:34 PM »
"Maybe I shoudnt ask this but what exactly is the big problem with episode II."

It's quite simple really.  The story sucks, the dialogue sucks, the acting sucks, the direction sucks, and the action scenes are nothing but special effects.  It's the movie equivalent of a videogame that is all graphics but no gameplay.  In short it was BORING.  At least in my opinion it was.

I'm aware that Tolkien tinkered with The Hobbit after it's original publication.  I don't LIKE that personally.  I mean if he wants to change it fine but there should be an "original edition" available for those who want to buy it.  With a book though it's a little more forgiving since one who has not read the original book could never tell what was changed if it wasn't pointed out.  But with these movies most of the changes are obvious to anyone regardless of whether they have seen the original films.  When a film from 1977 suddenly cuts to a CG scene it sticks out like a sore thumb.  It's an obvious change that hurts the flow of the movie.

George Lucas isn't the only one to do this and piss me off.  Nintendo for example when releasing SNES ports on the GBA will always f*ck around with the original design to make it easier or add voice samples.  That bugs the hell out of me and that's why I stick with the SNES versions.

I don't CARE if it's the artist's "vision" or whatever.  It pisses me off that he's changed something and is not letting us see it as it was.  If an artist wants to change something that's fine, just let me see what it used to be like as well.  If anything it's interesting to see what the artist wanted at different stages in their life.  Just give us BOTH and explain in the commentary why this was changed and that wasn't.

If I wrote a book any revisions would be clearly marked with the original text in the appendix.  If I made a movie any alternate versions would be on the same DVD as the original (Terminator 2 did this).  Let the audience choose which vision they prefer to read or watch since they're paying for it.  I would consider the "old" version to be historic and thus not to be forgotten.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 02:45:11 AM »
I agree with having both version on the same DVD.
X-Men did it with 1.5 - you had the option of seeing it with or without the extra scenes, and the DVD version I have of Independance Day has both the Cinema version and the Special version on it.

It's all one big money-making scheme. They release the DVD of it as some super-special version, but only for a few years.
You know why they stop making it after a few years?
So they can make the Anniversary Editions, the Anniversary Editions of the Anniversary Editions, etc etc.

This isn't gonna be the only time the original triolgy will be on DVD (or any other future medium).

When I heard all the crap that was being dished out about the Prequels, I went into the movies and watched them WITHOUT ANY COMPARISONS to the original trilogy.
And because of that, I enjoyed it.
When I started to draw comparisons, I didn't judge the way Lucas made it to the way he made the original trilogy.
The Prequels are set in an entirely different time period, with a totally different setting.
If you thought the dialogue was too 'formal or mechanical', then geez, think more broadly. You were a Queen or a member of a very strict order and senators that had to hide their corrupt nature behind shady deals with the underworld. You had to act in certain ways; talk certain ways.
Read any of the Star Wars novels about the New Republic, it is practically the same, albeit the traditions of the Old Republic had been in place for thousands of years.

Thats all i can say right now, cause I'm not too good with finding the right words to explain stuff.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2004, 02:17:22 PM »
OMG special video of Leia and Luke kissing!

But really I wish they put Chewbacca as an action figure like they did with Gollum in The Two Towers DVD.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2004, 05:36:45 PM »
Why not just go buy a Chewbacca action figure?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2004, 08:23:42 PM »
Heard about this months ago.  I don't have a problem with the SE, it's a nice addition, but I perfer the originals.  Some of special effects in the SE look out of place.

I have the SEs on VHS (which I got in a boxset), but I will not buy the DVDs.  I think the reason George Lucas won't release the originals on DVD was because they were basically a "draft".  I'm disappointed actually, as I was hoping they would release originals on DVD.  The originals were the ones many of us grew up watching & loving Star Wars.

Offline strat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 06:03:40 PM »
Heyyyyyy, I haven't been here in a long time !  

Anyways, I say hold off on buying these DVDs....wait for the super-deluxe-6-DVD-double-trilogy-box-set that will surely becoming out a few years from now.  
[] * []
Strat

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2004, 11:58:10 PM »
but why buy THAT?
Wait till the 50th Anniversary Edition of Phantom Menace comes out, and Lucasfilm will bring out the hyper-active super-mega director of photography's cut of the all six films, including a NEVER SEEN BEFORE look of Episodes 34 to 12!

DVD Sarcasm aside, I will buy this DVD set.
I got the Special Edition Trilogy Gold BOx Set in 1997 for my birthday, and I still have it. And I will but the DVD. Like how I bought Episode 1 on DVD, and got it on DVD for Christmas.
This triolgy box set will be awesome.