Author Topic: Place your bets on Feb 17th Megatons!  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Place your bets on Feb 17th Megatons!
« on: February 16, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »
Time to get your bets in for the Nintendo Direct Megaton on 2021!

ZELDA
Mention of Zelda's 35th to pick up where Mario's ends, including some game announcements.
4 Swords Anniversary Edition will re-release on Switch.
New trailer and info for Breath of the Wild 2.
DLC plans announced for Age of Calamity.
3D Zelda games released not as an All-Stars collection (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword)
We get a DS Zelda Collection instead.
We'll get another Direct down the road that is Zelda themed to cover more details.

MARIO
New Mario Party Announced. New Mario Odyssey/3D sequel announced.
Plan to rerelease Galaxy 2 either as an add-on for 3D All-Stars or stand alone.
Mario Golf Announced.

OTHER
Something Fire Emblem related is announced. Maybe a new Warriors game.
Another Wii U port is announced.
Something racing game related announced. Either DLC for Mario Kart 8 or Home Circuit (new racers for that?) or a different racing game like F-Zero or Excite Truck or Diddy Kong Racing.
Ports of Pikmin 1 & 2 with a reveal that Pikmin 4 is coming.
Fighter Pass expanded again in Smash
Pokemon announcement that is both shocking an unsurprising. Details will be lacking until a future Pokemon related Direct
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:34:49 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Place your bets on Feb 17th Megatons!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »
Some fairly safe bets:
- Bravely Default 23 gets one last push.
- Monster Hunter Rise thanking their demo players.
- Smash Bros. announces a new character, detailed Mr. Sakurai TED talk later this month.
- Animal Crossing's March update detailed maybe?
- New Pokémon Snap shown again, still looking hella cute!!
- Persona Strikers 5 is out in a week, that'll be shown for sure.
- Balan WonderWorld will be there despite our protests.
- Apex Legends.
- Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning.
- Indie highlight reel: Thomas Was Alone, Anodyne 2, Cris Tales.
- It's About Time we see... Crash Bandicoot 4  8)

Realm of possibilities:
- New Kirby platformer from the Star Allies team.
- If No More Heroes III is a ~June/July release I expect we'll hear it here.
- Among Us gets exclusive Nintendo content, probably hats like Cappy.
- Mario Golf (or another sport?) gets a new installment.
- Fall Guys maybe?
- Dare we invoke Hollow Knight 2: Silksong?

Moonshot hopes and dreams:
- F-Zero NX (30 player online battle royale Death Race)
- Kirby Air Ride online CITY TRIAL packaged into Switch Online to replace Mario Bros. 35
- Nintendo reassembles Treasure, greenlights Sin & Punishment 3

Not shown:
BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4 and/or Trilogy, Bayonetta 3, Pokémon Diamond/Pearl remakes. Those have Summer/E3 written all over them.
Expecting this Direct to be about their March-June/July slate, and the big hitters there are Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Rise, and a Smash Bros. character. To stay on a monthly schedule, Pokémon Snap, Bravely Default, and maybe a Kirby and/or Mario Sports title are there to plug the gaps.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 06:08:43 PM »
I just remembered that Nintendo did a video for Fire Emblem's anniversary just a week or so ago getting together a number of voice actors for the series and it seemed to tease something else was coming, so maybe we'll see two more anniversary celebrations this year and even more content from Fire Emblem dropping. Maybe we get the next in these not-VC not-Switch Online remasters of old Fire Emblem games?
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 06:46:30 PM »
Mario Kart Tour seems pretty popular, so I'm hoping Nintendo finally decides to finally get mobile players into console buyers/users with some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC.

Other than that, calling out Smash Bros makes me think we'll see two characters or one and a new game mode.  At the very least, a timeline of when we can expect these last three characters.

Ring Fit Adventure may see some more updates too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
My prediction is that unless they have 3 more characters ready to go, This is when they'll delay the end of the second fighter's pass.

We're also going to see the beginning of the year 2 content plans for Animal Crossing. Hopefully now that they have all the holiday stuff rolled out we'll see more content added to the base game like villager interactions or gyroids.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 08:23:53 PM »
I think a Fire Emblem Echoes is a good bet, since Intelligent Systems have probably been working on something FE related.

For Smash I'm really feeling Astral Chain. I feel like the moveset writes itself.

BOTW 2 I'm going to say is a no show, they can probably fill the 50 minutes without it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »
I'd say if Nintendo is confident BOTW 2 will be out this year, we're getting a trailer.  Zelda always gets more hype then other Nintendo franchises and it's announcement trailer was over 1.5 years ago.

I think Smash character will either be Crash to go with the recent announcement of the Switch port of Crash 4 or a Monster Hunter character to go with Rise.

Since it's also the first Direct since Sep 2019, which was the Direct that SNES games being added to Switch online was announced we're getting new systems added.  Since Mario 3D All-Stars shows Nintendo has a working N64, Gamecube and Wii emulator, we're getting all 3 systems added in April.  But a new pricing tier will be added to play them.  I'm going to say about $60 a year to access them since these games are meatier then NES/SNES and adding online play to games like Mario Kart 64 and Smash Bros Melee is something that Nintendo knows people will pay good money for.

Maybe Gameboy games added to the $20 price range?

Metriod V from Mercury Steam will be announced and will be a May release.  That games been in development since Samus Returns was finished in 2017 so there's a great chance it close to completion by now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:21:46 PM »
I'm not convinced that Nintendo are done with the Wii U ports, and there's still one notable one remaining: Yoshi's Woolly World. I think there's a good chance a Switch port gets announced tomorrow. It fits in well with the "Spring" theme.

Breath of the Wild 2 will be the closer since Nintendo wants to focus on titles coming out in the 1st half of 2021, and Zelda WILL be a November title since it doesn't have a release date already.

The Smash Character? I've got a good feeling about Rayman for some reason, though who knows these days with Nintendo & Smash. They wasted slots on Sephy and MineCraft Guy (yes, I know his name is Steve. I don't care). Nintendo's clearly out of fucks to give regarding Smash slots.

I think we get a new trailer & release date for No More Heroes 3.

I think Bayonetta 3 finally gets a new trailer & possibly a release date. We haven't heard about that game for a while, and unlike Metroid Prime 4 it actually still has a chance in Hell of releasing on the Switch.

A Pikmin 4 announcement wouldn't surprise me, considering 3 got a recent Switch port.

I think we see a new system added to the Nintendo Switch Online program, most likely the N64 or GameBoy.

I believe we're now in the 35th Anniversary Year of Zelda, so it's time to break out the Zelda All Star Collection in time to get pulled from all virtual store shelves 3 months later.

Honestly, I can't think of much else. There's so much Nintendo's been working on that we don't know about. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the much-rumored Switch Pro/Switch Successor get announced.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 10:49:30 PM »
I don't think we get a Breath of the Wild sequel trailer. Nintendo doesn't need it right now. I'm on the fence on if Nintendo will do a 35th anniversary for Zelda. I kind of feel like we got one for Mario because the 25th anniversary was 100% ass. At the same time, it would be a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to unleash a torrent of Zelda ports/remasters. I can see Nintendo packaging Ocarina of Time (with Master Quest) and Majora's Mask together then releasing Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Skyward Sword HD individually for $59.99 because **** y'all.

Game & Watch: The Legend of Zelda is easy money for Nintendo. I don't need that and I don't even like the original Zelda, but I'll take eight. Include the dual-screen Zelda Game & Watch, you cowards.

Super Mario Bros. 35 will be replaced by............ Super Mario Bros. 50. Thanks for stress testing Nintendo's servers, everyone!

Elma will be the next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter. Monolith Soft's stock has never been higher. Nintendo will port Xenoblade Chronicles X, one of the few big Wii U titles that hasn't been ported to Switch. This is easy marketing for the game. I'd 100% take Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft for trolling purposes though.

Metroid Prime Trilogy will launch first. Metroid: Samus Returns will launch sometime after it. We're not getting Metroid V, Luigi Dude. Stop trying to give me hope. It's mean.

There's a rumor going around of a timed exclusive Resident Evil on Switch to be released after Resident Evil: Step On Me, Giant Vampire Lady. We're getting that trailer tomorrow.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »
At least two zombie franchises will come to Switch. And RE won't be one of them: the scuttlebutt was Revelaitons 3 for next year as a timed Switch exclusive so it probably wouldn't come up now (plus Capcom has Rise and Step On Me Mommy to market).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »
We're making bingo cards in the Discord, here's a template if you want to join in. Looking forward to yelling a bunch about corporate decision with y'all later today.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 12:45:41 PM »
I am just going to wish for a few things and hope they get announced.
  • A new Donkey Kong game
  • A new title from Monolith Soft
  • A new console type added to Switch online

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 01:34:52 PM »
Donkey Konga 2: Jungle Beat for DK's 40th.  Calling it now.

(seriously, gimme a bongo-based sequel, Nintendo.  This game was insane bananas.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:39:04 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 01:35:46 PM »
Donkey Konga 2 for DK's 40th.  Calling it now.

(seriously, gimme a bongo-based sequel, Nintendo.  This game was insane.)

Donkey Konga Labo, with cardboard bongos.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 03:09:44 PM »
I don't have any predictions specifically for the Direct, except that I'm sure there will be lots of whining about whatever Smash character they choose. In fact, there will probably be lots of complaining and bickering about the Direct in general.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:07:04 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
I don't have any predictions specifically for the Direct, except that I'm sure there will be lots of whining about whatever Smash character they choose. In fact, there will probably be lots of complaining and bickering about the Direct in general.
This is your only sane prediction.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:07:14 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 04:48:27 PM »

(seriously, gimme a bongo-based sequel, Nintendo.  This game was insane bananas.)

I've got 4 bongos and need something to do with them too!!! Surprisingly, I had my cousin over Monday and he was looking through my GC collection and wondering what the great games for it were. He's been wanting to expand his gaming knowledge and branch out on trying different games / genres. I saw DKJB and realized he needed to play that to get his mind blown. Haven't played it since probably 2006. It was an immediate hit. I just forgot how you need to harden your skin because after awhile of banging away punches and jumps and tapping the side to clap, my hands started getting sore like they did the first time I played. If I wasn't deep into XCX right now, I'd be very very tempted to replay Jungle Beat right now and re-earn those platinum medals. I'd also be up for an HD remake at the very least. (It also re-opened the wound of losing DK:Barrel Blast to the Wii with motion controls instead of the bongo controls it should have truly had.)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »
The new Smash character (if one is announced) will be a Monster Hunter character to tie in with Monster Hunter Rise.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 05:05:14 PM »
Nice! “Two” female characters! I predicted Elma, but I’ll take not-Rex.
I don't have any predictions specifically for the Direct, except that I'm sure there will be lots of wining about whatever Smash character they choose. In fact, there will probably be lots of complaining and bickering about the Direct in general.
In before Pyra/Mythra is another sword fighter?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:07:36 PM by Adrock »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 05:59:41 PM »

I've got 4 bongos and need something to do with them too!!! Surprisingly, I had my cousin over Monday and he was looking through my GC collection and wondering what the great games for it were. He's been wanting to expand his gaming knowledge and branch out on trying different games / genres. I saw DKJB and realized he needed to play that to get his mind blown. Haven't played it since probably 2006. It was an immediate hit. I just forgot how you need to harden your skin because after awhile of banging away punches and jumps and tapping the side to clap, my hands started getting sore like they did the first time I played. If I wasn't deep into XCX right now, I'd be very very tempted to replay Jungle Beat right now and re-earn those platinum medals. I'd also be up for an HD remake at the very least. (It also re-opened the wound of losing DK:Barrel Blast to the Wii with motion controls instead of the bongo controls it should have truly had.)

I own seven or eight sets of bongos.

I have issues.

Jungle Beat is the kind of game PAX should use in a competition.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 06:02:52 PM »
I'm not convinced that Nintendo are done with the Wii U ports, and there's still one notable one remaining: Yoshi's Woolly World. I think there's a good chance a Switch port gets announced tomorrow. It fits in well with the "Spring" theme.

Breath of the Wild 2 will be the closer since Nintendo wants to focus on titles coming out in the 1st half of 2021, and Zelda WILL be a November title since it doesn't have a release date already.

The Smash Character? I've got a good feeling about Rayman for some reason, though who knows these days with Nintendo & Smash. They wasted slots on Sephy and MineCraft Guy (yes, I know his name is Steve. I don't care). Nintendo's clearly out of fucks to give regarding Smash slots.

I think Bayonetta 3 finally gets a new trailer & possibly a release date. We haven't heard about that game for a while, and unlike Metroid Prime 4 it actually still has a chance in Hell of releasing on the Switch.

A Pikmin 4 announcement wouldn't surprise me, considering 3 got a recent Switch port.

I think we see a new system added to the Nintendo Switch Online program, most likely the N64 or GameBoy.

I believe we're now in the 35th Anniversary Year of Zelda, so it's time to break out the Zelda All Star Collection in time to get pulled from all virtual store shelves 3 months later.

Honestly, I can't think of much else. There's so much Nintendo's been working on that we don't know about. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the much-rumored Switch Pro/Switch Successor get announced.

Clearly, my hopes for this Direct required far more effort than Nintendo was willing to put in. Pretty much a giant whiff of a Direct in general, at least for stuff that's coming out anytime soon.

At least we got Xenoblade 2 representation in Smash...finally.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 06:04:38 PM »
I am just going to wish for a few things and hope they get announced.
  • A new Donkey Kong game
  • A new title from Monolith Soft
  • A new console type added to Switch online
Well I went 0 for 3. I thought I had the new Monolith Soft game with that Smash teaser but I should have known better. Still, quite a bit to celebrate today with or without DK.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 07:16:48 PM »
Mario Kart Tour seems pretty popular, so I'm hoping Nintendo finally decides to finally get mobile players into console buyers/users with some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC.

Other than that, calling out Smash Bros makes me think we'll see two characters or one and a new game mode.  At the very least, a timeline of when we can expect these last three characters.

Ring Fit Adventure may see some more updates too.

Technically, that's two Smash characters, lol.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »
Lots of new things to look forward too, I'm interested in Outer Wilds, Mario Golf, and maybe Neon White. Will keep an eye on the Famicom Detective Club reviews, but cool those are being localized.

List of all the announcements for who needs it:
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC: Pyra & Mythra March 2021
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout Summer 2021
- Outer Wilds Summer 2021
- Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir May 14th
- Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind May 14th
- Samurai Warriors 5 Summer 2021
- Legend of Mana June 24th
- Monster Hunter Rise March 26th
- Mario Golf: Super Rush June 25th
-Tales From the Borderlands March 24th
- Capcom Arcade Stadium TODAY, includes 1943: Battle For Midway and Ghosts 'n Goblins for free
- Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse March 16th
- No More Heroes III August 27th
- Neon White Winter 2021
- DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power June 4th
- Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Complete Edition) March 19th
- Miitopia May 21st
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Super Mario update February 25th
- Project Triangle Strategy 2022, demo out today
- Star Wars Hunters 2021
- Knockout City May 21st
- World's End Club May 28th
- Hades March 3rd physical release
- Ninja Gaiden Master Collection June 10th
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  • All previous DLC
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Expansion Pass May 28th
  • May 28th - Purchase bonus: weapon & outfit for Link
  • June 2021 - Wave 1: expanded roster, new weapon types, new challenges in Royal Ancient Lab, new challenging enemies
  • November 2021 - Wave 2:New character vignettes, new stages, expanded roster, new battle skills for existing characters
- Bravely Default II February 26th
- Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection February 25th
- SaGa Frontier Remastered April 15th
- Apex Legends March 9th
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD July 16th
- Joy-Cons: Skyward Sword HD July 16th
- Splatoon 3 2022

Japanese Direct also included:
- Shin Chan 2021
- eBaseball 2021 Professional Baseball Spirits 2021
- Caligula2 June 24th

snip

I was right about: Mario Golf, Fall Guys, Apex Legends, and about Pokémon DPP/BOTW/Prime 4/Bayo 3 not being there.

Wrong guesses: no indie reel, and most of the third party games I expected were absent (Crash 4, Persona 5 Strikers, Kingdoms of Amalur, Balan WonderWorld).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:25:25 PM by Discord.RSS »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »

Clearly, my hopes for this Direct required far more effort than Nintendo was willing to put in. Pretty much a giant whiff of a Direct in general, at least for stuff that's coming out anytime soon.

At least we got Xenoblade 2 representation in Smash...finally.

Were your predictions things you were hoping for, or just expecting?
For me this didn't really whiff, but I can understand that reaction if you were hoping for BOTW 2, Bayo 3, and Pikmin 4. Sadly I think the latter of those won't happen until a Switch successor appears; Pikmin 3 Deluxe filled that slot. Similarly, I think Yoshi's Woolly World's port to 3DS unfortunately means it won't be on Switch anytime soon while 3DS games are still on shelves.  :(

For the Splatoon fans here, are y'all excited for a new one next year? The trailer made think it would be a spin-off initially, but unless it's a big overhaul I don't really see the point (besides money). That team has a crazy turn-around though: Splatoon (2015), Splatoon 2 (2017), Octo Expansion (2018), Splatoon 3 (2022).

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »
Were your predictions things you were hoping for, or just expecting?
For me this didn't really whiff, but I can understand that reaction if you were hoping for BOTW 2, Bayo 3, and Pikmin 4. Sadly I think the latter of those won't happen until a Switch successor appears; Pikmin 3 Deluxe filled that slot. Similarly, I think Yoshi's Woolly World's port to 3DS unfortunately means it won't be on Switch anytime soon while 3DS games are still on shelves.  :(

Well, my HOPES for the Direct were more absurd than my expectations, which are what I posted. I did really want to see Woolly World on Switch, though. It's the rare Yoshi game that really clicked with me.

I just saw a lot of ports of old games (yes, yes...ironic...yes), a lot of remasters of old games ,or games that played like old games. Then it all capped off with a remaster of the worst Zelda game following a bait & switch with Breath of the Wild 2.

Let's just say that this Direct peaked with the Xenoblade characters in Smash announcement and it was all downhill from there.

For the Splatoon fans here, are y'all excited for a new one next year? The trailer made think it would be a spin-off initially, but unless it's a big overhaul I don't really see the point (besides money). That team has a crazy turn-around though: Splatoon (2015), Splatoon 2 (2017), Octo Expansion (2018), Splatoon 3 (2022).

Eh...not really? I'm not real big into Splatoon multiplayer, and if we're getting another sequel that's MP-focused where the player has no choice in what MP they get to play...I'm just not all that hyped. "Splatoon, but MORE" was the selling point of the 2nd game, so if that's also the case for the 3rd game it's one I can wait on. I expect it to be a Switch 2 launch game anyway with that nebulous 2022 release date. I was hoping there'd be a lot more SP after the excellent Octo Expansion the 2nd game got and the moody trailer we just saw for the 3rd game. But no...it just seems to be more Splatoon, same as the last Splatoon.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »
Well, my HOPES for the Direct were more absurd than my expectations, which are what I posted. I did really want to see Woolly World on Switch, though. It's the rare Yoshi game that really clicked with me.

I just saw a lot of ports of old games (yes, yes...ironic...yes), a lot of remasters of old games ,or games that played like old games. Then it all capped off with a remaster of the worst Zelda game following a bait & switch with Breath of the Wild 2.

Let's just say that this Direct peaked with the Xenoblade characters in Smash announcement and it was all downhill from there.

Yeah, Woolly World was pretty good so it's a bummer the sequel is seemingly less accomplished. Wonder if they'll make another one for Switch 2, or port Woolly World instead. Maybe the response if they ported it now would be "more Wii U ports ugh" though haha.

My expectations for today were way lower, so in that regard they were exceeded. Lots of RPGs and anime things for fans of those. I think we're now truly beginning to see what a number COVID will have done on Nintendo's first party. Their strategy was already port-heavy, and now they're doubling down on that to get product lined up.
Those Famicom Detective games were initially announced as Japan-only for example and then pushed (for localizing, turns out). So to also see them wheel out Miitopia now makes me think 2021 will again see several  ports (although that's a 3DS game... so maybe Woolly World stands a chance after all).

Lucky for them Switch has a few tentpole releases already announced this year (Monster Hunter Rise, Fall Guys, and SMT 5 for the RPG crowd) so it's less obvious. Personally I don't mind ports, since it makes things available to new audiences (Outer Wilds for me in this case!), and there's more games out than ever anyway.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »
Has anyone actually seen Ian and broodwars in the same room?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:38 PM »
Has anyone actually seen Ian and broodwars in the same room?

Dead Men Tell No Tales, Bob.  ;)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him around in a while, though.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 10:00:49 PM »
Maybe they finally assimilated eachother. Broodwars has seemed a bit more... Ian Sane lately.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 10:01:28 PM »
Maybe they finally assimilated eachother. Broodwars has seemed a bit more... Ian Sane lately.

"I Am Thou. Thou Art I."  :P

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:35 PM »

Eh...not really? I'm not real big into Splatoon multiplayer, and if we're getting another sequel that's MP-focused where the player has no choice in what MP they get to play...I'm just not all that hyped. "Splatoon, but MORE" was the selling point of the 2nd game, so if that's also the case for the 3rd game it's one I can wait on. I expect it to be a Switch 2 launch game anyway with that nebulous 2022 release date. I was hoping there'd be a lot more SP after the excellent Octo Expansion the 2nd game got and the moody trailer we just saw for the 3rd game. But no...it just seems to be more Splatoon, same as the last Splatoon.

Yeah, I think more than just being Splatoon 3, I am personally of the belief that this telegraphs the "Switch 2" is coming in 2022. Since Splatoon 3 so far just seems to be "Splatoon 2, but more", the best significant selling point I'd see for it would be a completely new platform to debut on. I'm actually thinking it could be a cross-gen game on both the Switch and Switch 2, but with unified online.

With BoTW not confirmed at all for 2021, and Splatoon 3 explicitly targeting 2022, next year is shaping up to have a lot of the original Switch's launch IPs in place. Now we just need a Mario Kart 9 and 3D Mario forecast for that time period and it'd be eerily similar to the Switch's own launch year.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »
Time to get your bets in for the Nintendo Direct Megaton on 2021!

ZELDA
Mention of Zelda's 35th to pick up where Mario's ends, including some game announcements.
4 Swords Anniversary Edition will re-release on Switch.
New trailer and info for Breath of the Wild 2.

DLC plans announced for Age of Calamity.
3D Zelda games released not as an All-Stars collection (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword)
We get a DS Zelda Collection instead.

?We'll get another Direct down the road that is Zelda themed to cover more details.

MARIO
New Mario Party Announced. New Mario Odyssey/3D sequel announced.
Plan to rerelease Galaxy 2 either as an add-on for 3D All-Stars or stand alone.

Mario Golf Announced.

OTHER
Something Fire Emblem related is announced. Maybe a new Warriors game.
Another Wii U port is announced.
Something racing game related announced. Either DLC for Mario Kart 8 or Home Circuit (new racers for that?) or a different racing game like F-Zero or Excite Truck or Diddy Kong Racing.
Ports of Pikmin 1 & 2 with a reveal that Pikmin 4 is coming.
Fighter Pass expanded again in Smash
Pokemon announcement that is both shocking an unsurprising. Details will be lacking until a future Pokemon related Direct

Whelp, I was on the nose about the Mario Golf idea. Also got the Age of Calamity DLC, but was that ever really doubted?

Surprised with how there was nothing on the FE front.

Overall it was not a direct for me. It just felt like all of the missing stuff we were supposed to get last year but delayed due to COVID.

The AC stuff seems nice but not enough to really pull me back in just yet. I'm REALLY burned out on that game but may rejoin and time travel to catch the Jan/Feb/Mar events and content, but aside from the fact warp pipes serve a gameplay purpose it's all just "more items". I'm worried they aren't going to be adding new legitimate features (buildings, gameplay hooks like swimming, substantive NPCs, and new actual collections like the bugs and fish). Other than the quarantine effect there is a lot lacking from ACNH that I and other have forgiven because of the promise of being added down the road. I'll be really disappointed if we just get new seasonal items from time-to-time for the next year.
My Game Collection

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 07:01:46 PM »
That Snorlax-big energy of mostly focusing on Nintendo's first half of the Fiscal Year Ending in March 31st, 2022.

Pyra/Mythra in Smash Ultimate and the Famicom Detective Club remakes coming over are two unconditional wins for me. Excited and anxious for Project Triangle Strategy, Mario Golf Super Rush, and Splatoon 3.

I was satisfied with this long Direct, but looking over the big list of announcements... I can sympathize with this show's detractors. So many ports, remakes, remasters, and seemingly unremarkable fluff in this blast of commercials.

Not that Nintendo really cares on any bruised feelings from this Direct, but maybe they wrongly thought Skyward Sword HD and Splatoon 3 would be bigger splashes? I don't know if we should be so critical of a presentation of video game trailers, but maybe having a proof-of-life from Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 would've went a long way so that more people felt better with the 50 minutes they spent.