Author Topic: Warp Pipe Project  (Read 9815 times)

Offline robofish

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Warp Pipe Project
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2003, 09:08:11 PM »
lol... That logic train doesn't work at all, Johnnyboy.
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
RE:Warp Pipe Project
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2003, 12:26:14 AM »
Oh yeah, with the Windows build I've definitely taken part of this.  Check out http://www.warppipe.com  I'm in the news, baby!!

I played a couple games of Kirby's Airride with Chad (the creator dude)  today with almost realtime speeds.  This is still alpha version people!  He hasn't even implimented optimization yet!  We were both behind college servers so that's how we were able to have such fast speeds, but our colleges were states away.  I can tell you that playing LAN games online is a blast so don't miss out.  Get the game, a BBA, a router, and Warppipe now!  Especially if you have a university connection like us, and I hosted the game.  You really need good upload speeds in order to really appreciate this, at the moment.  Like I said, optimization in WarpPipe will make online gaming for GCN a reality.  Check it out!  Oh and for those looking for OSX port.. look forward to one as early as this weekend/ next week.  If anyone has questions, please ask.  I'm actually looking into trying to record the online game taking place, but just trust me it works.  Really well too.  We both can't wait to test out Mario Kart: DD!  Look forward to future releases.  Have fun everyone!  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2003, 02:32:17 AM »
Kirby, there is a good chance your connection was due to internet 2....i wouldn't really use that as a good test for everyone...but I could be wrong.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2003, 02:53:32 AM »
Grrrr...now to get my buddies to break down and get a cable modem...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2003, 05:54:04 AM »
You are totally right!  The reason it was so good was b/c of our good connections, but do go to the warppipe site and read more into it.

I said earlier that warppipe is still in alpha version with unoptimized code with a connection with 2 people behind fast university connections.  With optimized code (which hasn't been implimented) playing GCN games online is a reality even for cable/DSL users.  That's why this is a huge step in warppipe.

At the moment, it isn't a good test for everyone, yet.  Wait for optimized code and then everyone (broadband users) can play.  That's why I said earlier, "Optimization in WarpPipe will make online gaming for GCN a reality."

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2003, 12:06:12 PM »
This is becoming close to my love for microwave pizza rolls.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2003, 01:58:56 PM »
Ok, just to bump this up, I'd love to give MKD online a try with some of my friends...I have everything i need but the dumb software.  The warp pipe site is veyr confusing right now...i can't even find a download place for this original alpha version....any one have any ideas? or a copy of the original so I can give it a try?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2003, 02:24:38 PM »
I was just looking at warp pipes website.  I have been thinking about getting a couple of tv's together and hooking up two cubes to play 8 player mario kart, but playing online is something that I would definately be interested in.  Hopefully they get everything together.  Mario Kart and 1080 online will be a blast.  Its kinda a hassle compared to PS2 and X-box, playing online I mean.  But its really cool that warp pipe will give us the option.  Lets hurry up and get this 1.0 version out.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2003, 02:39:18 PM »

Originally posted by: KirbySStar[/i}"Optimization in WarpPipe will make online gaming for GCN a reality."

pssshhh ya right.....

Lan tunneling is great and alot of fun, but it won't substitute online gaming. For example.....

When playing through some lan tunneling agent, it tends to lag if there are more than 2 systems playing each other online, and it especially lags if you have 4. When I say lag I mean it becuase choppy, unbearably so, and ruins the gaming experience. So it confines people looking for games and for making games to find another system with a bunch of people on it so they can still have fun but not lag at the same time. At least that is how it works for the Xbox even when using high rated tunneling systmes like Gamespy, i'm sure its the same for GC. Even though everyone is a broadband user.......trust me it still lags crazy, due to packet loss and other things.

The only difference between LAN and online when the developer inputs the features into the game, is that online has a whole set of code especially written to deal with such things as packet loss, lag, and etc. When developers write code for LAN they don't worry about that, which creates all the problems that tunneling agents can't fix.

So LAN tunneling won't replace online until internet speeds reach those of T3.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2003, 02:43:32 PM »
And how does the code that developers include magically fix lag?  If it loses a packet, does it just create a new one?  I've played many an x-box live game with plenty of freaking lag.
---------------------

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2003, 05:22:09 PM »
Donthate742's post doesnt really make sence.  I think we need to play the wait and see game.  It sounds like they are moving along very quickly though, and played with 3 players with no lag.  Granted most people dont have the connection speed they had, but with DSL or better, it should run fairly smooth.

Offline alvinaloy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2003, 06:42:20 PM »
Can Cubes of different regions connect together to play the same game? E.g Using my American Cube with the American Kirby's Air Ride to play with my friend who is playing off a Japanese Cube with a Japanese Kirby's Air Ride?

Offline Crono

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2003, 04:17:15 PM »
im just curios of which 1 is better. can someone tell  if they prefer x-link over warpipe or vise versa, just curious.

thanks
Current games im playing : Total Annihilation Kingdoms (PC) True Crime Streets Of LA. (GC) Soul Caliber II (GC) Xenogears (PSX)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)

Offline OO7craft

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2003, 06:09:04 PM »
X-link will most likely be better/have a better GUI and buddy system but its a long time away (at least 2004).  So I say get warp pipe,play on that, then once the xlink is out switch to that.  I mean there both free to download and are probly small fiels so why make choosing a task? just try them both

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2003, 04:52:47 AM »
Good catch on the eight players per GameCube thing, I just wasn't thinking.  So currently you could have eight players total, four per GameCube.  What you CAN'T have, it seems, is four GameCubes connected with four people on each (the screen on each system split into half and two people playing in each kart).  This appears to be a limitation of the game's LAN mode, not Warp Pipe.  So the only ways to play 16-player is with eight GameCubes connected and two people on each.  I really doubt Warp Pipe wille ever be able to pull off that many systems being connected online, unless it's a situation where you have four connected physically on each side of the online connection.  And maybe not even then.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2003, 09:20:27 AM »
007craft - I'd wait for the WP GUI before rushing to any conclusions about which one is better, after all the GC functionality in x-link is just a side-effect, a plugin to the xbox connectivity app, while WP is MADE for and by nintendo fans

BTW here's some WP progress report : http://www.warppipe.com/archives/000028.html
In a summary, two guys of the WP team played over 115kbps (Waterloo, Canada) and 256kbps (Bloomington, Indiana) connections, keeping a constant 40-50fps. They have also some videos recorded... looks really good so far!

Offline AJL221893

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2003, 12:46:09 PM »
Wasn't the new updated version of warppipe supposed to be released by the time Mario Kart DD came out? At least I heard that. Anyone have a clue when it really comes out? I rented Kirby air ride a week ago, and was disapointed because the site wasn't allowing people to download the alpha anymore. I love online play, anyone know when we can get some?
Animal Crossing info:
Name: (space)Adam
Town: Animtown

Do YOU want a cookie?

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2003, 05:21:20 AM »
The new Warp Pipe beta is coming soon with a complete release version 1.0 early 2004.  That complete release will have chat and stuff.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2003, 07:59:14 AM »
*sigh*

I really need to get broadband. The WarpPipe thing is starting to sound really good, but I doubt it would work too well on a 56k connection...
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2003, 10:50:19 AM »
Should be interesting to see how well things go with warp pipe.  If the Lan supported games to work very well with warp pipe, how many people will support it?  And if it does go well, wont they have to start charging a fee to cover cost of bandwith.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2003, 05:59:45 PM »
???

Who's bandwidth?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2003, 08:03:06 PM »

???

Who's bandwidth?

Your's. It is a TCP/IP (UDP, maybe?) connection, ala Diablo. (unless I am mistaken)  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2003, 09:12:52 PM »
Why would Warppipe charge me for My bandwidth that I'm already paying for through my ISP -- bandwidth/communication that's only between me and other "warppiped" players [bandwidth between our respective ISPs]?

Refer to mjbd's last post.  Try to make sense of that first.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2003, 12:13:31 AM »
yeah, it's not like the WPP or x-link guys host servers for people to play on o-O

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2003, 05:30:53 AM »
xlink will have minor server costs because if I understand, they have a little messenger service going..(though i could be wrong)...warp pipe will have no costs because it is all done through direct ip connection without even a messenger service.
---------------------