Author Topic: Mafia 84:RE:CV Neighbor Wrapup thread and MVP Voting thread  (Read 74979 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 84:RE:CV Neighbor Wrapup thread and MVP Voting thread
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
Everybody took stupid pills this game and acted whacky! Why did Khushrenada and Mop it Up act so suspicious? How did Pokepal get so far?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2020, 01:12:15 PM »
How was Khushrenada acting suspicious? To me he seemed like townie Khushrenada, which is why I never joined into those votes. Can Khushrenada do anything which isn't considered suspicious? Seems like no matter what he says or does, it's suspicious. What was actually suspicious was everyone's extreme focus on him, which mainly benefits Mafia since it allows for a good distraction as well as forcing him into starting townie votes and giving Mafia excuses to vote out townies.

How was I suspicious? It seems like I was pretty obviously a townie, looking at what other people thought, and also how I was attacked by the hit at one point.

Pokepal148 made it that far because he was a confirmed townie who the doctor was able to protect.

You're right about one thing though, a lot of people sure were wacky this game! I wish that could happen more often!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:17:13 PM by Mop it up »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
So, just to weigh-in a little:

Khuhsrenada's consistently being in the crosshairs early-on definitely helped as it resulted in the alternative vote being a somewhat random choice instead.  Unfortunate stalemate, but in a way Khushrenada getting out of the game probably helped clear the logjam for townies so there wasn't such a specific target to start each day.   This is the first true error i'd attribute myself for agreeing to and joining in on that vote.  If we could have milked him as cover for a day or so more, it maybe would have helped clinch the win.  Khush also was the only one besides maybe Mop-it-up that had overt suspicion of me as a mafia, so who knows.

Second true error was on the day Luigi Dude was voted out, Insanolord & I could have gotten the vote switched to someone else and saved him.  Likely would have Outed us as mafia, but maybe the sparing one extra day of not being voted out would have been enough?  Tough to tell.

Us Wesker mafia had blunders of targeting Pokepal and then Mop-it-up on nights where it was most likely they'd be protected, losing two separate chances to whittle down numbers quickly was a huge loss.  Then being borg'd into the Ashford mafia threw everything out the window of how to approach things. 

Pokepal's hail mary plan was probably the best angle we had, but it was hamstrung by 1) me being busier than expected at work during the last day game, and 2) me having been relatively quiet through several days, making me tossing accusations and claims of knowledge around in the day thread more suspicious.  Sorry to Pokepal that I wasn't available to do the full court press, but I was probably also NOT the right partner for that strategy either, unfortunately.

Regardless, good game everyone.  Wish it would have resulted in a Mafia win instead, but ces la vie.  I like the game format though, the second mafia group really changes things up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:26:24 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »
Yeah lolmonade, I was thinking that if you had been more active throughout the game, the plan at the end to reach a quick majority might have worked, since we would have had less inconsistencies to point out. Nickmitch was active the whole game and made an investigation every night, so it was tough for you to say that's what you've been doing yet didn't post much nor join our votes in previous days.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »
Yeah lolmonade, I was thinking that if you had been more active throughout the game, the plan at the end to reach a quick majority might have worked, since we would have had less inconsistencies to point out. Nickmitch was active the whole game and made an investigation every night, so it was tough for you to say that's what you've been doing yet didn't post much nor join our votes in previous days.

Agreed.  I felt a bit off going with that gambit, but I don't think we had much leverage either way, so why not toss it in the air and see if it gets caught?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »
I had more material for Lolmonade to peddle to keep the debate going but he didn't make it back before voting ended.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
I'm glad he didn't! Mr. Bungle still sounded like he was close to swinging the other way, and TOPHATANT123 was still open to convincing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2020, 07:35:58 PM »
I still saw more holes I hadn't pointed out yet, so I'm not so sure. Either way, there was no good excuse for not sending a message to prove himself, especially with the amount of time he had to do it. I feel it never should have even been a question due to that, but oh well, at least it still worked out in the end.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
I will say, based on what I saw in the day thread, it definitely was an argument against the majority vote close. Essentially, mafia came in, made their argument, swung a vote or two, and the townies had not even logged on to make a counter-argument. The general townies who had their votes swung took their votes the other way after the townie side had a chance.

Though, I suppose the counter is, "If you don't really know what's going on, don't rush to judgment or you'll lynch a good guy by mistake."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »
I believe the majority vote idea was introduced when we started doing games with 48-hour days, as a way to try to speed things up since they take so much longer now. I do have mixed feelings about the idea, although if I remember correctly, I believe there were some games where the majority rule no longer existed once it got down to a certain number of players. I think that makes sense to me, as when there are a lot of players, there will still be a lot of discussion before that many players all vote the same way, and it's unlikely there will be changes when that happens. But when there are fewer players, that's where the majority rule starts to make less sense.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »
Hey, the majority vote got me on Day 4. There was only 1 vote from Steefosaurus when I last saw the thread and when I came back the next morning, I had been voted out a few minutes earlier. Would have been nice if I'd had more a chance to counter that but not sure townies would have been swayed at that point having done it once before on Day 2.

The majority vote can be good or bad but it still falls on the players and their choices so I've got no problem with it even though I had to fight against it once and with very little time to do so. I think this is the first game where players really started utilizing the vote more even in the earlier days which I liked. Even with the MV, so many games still went a full voting period that could have been ended sooner so I began to wonder what the point was if players were never going to take advantage.

That said, I always felt the majority vote was more for the endgame then the start. In the first few days, people are going to be more divided in how they vote and choose but this gives more time to think. In the end, with fewer players, the game can stretch but the majority vote can keep it moving along quickly as often a good chunk of the players will know what is what by that point. That's why I was shaking my head a bit when BeautifulShy wanted to suddenly remove the majority vote near the end and require everyone to vote. That's when I thought the majority vote rule was most useful to move those days along.

Thatguy can say the last day was an argument against the majority vote but I disagree. That is the mafia taking a bold chance to use it to their advantage and they almost succeeded. If players want to vote quickly to end a day like that then it is their call but if they regret it later based on the results then that is also on them. Personally, I liked that it was used more this game. It gave the game more of an urgency this time around to make your case fast or you may never get to make it.  Act fast to control the vote.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »
On the Majority vote I was weighing what would be the best option for ending the day early with this setup and not be to penalizing to the players at the same time.   Be it Majority, just the standard vote however you want but each day would be 48 hours and whoever had the most votes would be voted out or just having everyone in the game vote to end the day early.   All of those have their pros and cons.  Majority with no discussion time would give players votes the most importance since once majority is reached that is it no more discussion to be had and they are stuck with their choice.  It also felt like with majority everyones voice wasn't heard because not everyone got to vote before majority was reached.     Majority with the hour discussion time could give players votes a choice with a chance to back out if they felt it wasn't the right choice or to use it to get more info on that player within that hour.  Standard voting for 48 hours and at the end of the day I would tally things up and it would be familiar to players.  Finally having everyone vote to end the day early could be used in multiple ways.  It is kinda like everyone is a jury member and their voice matters so much more and to allow much more discussion amongst players like "why should I put my vote towards this player over another" and there would be much more discussion at the start of the game since there would be 15 players and there would be lots more voices and participation and every voice would count.

Then on top of all that I had to decide if I was going to have a voting requirement or not like I usually do with these games.  Like you must vote once every 3 game days.  I have noticed players, usually on the mafia side,  do the bare minimum of voting when that is in effect so they can skirt away from any action or playing at all unless it is that 3rd day vote.  With the neighborize role I was kinda forced away from that because what if Alexia doesn't sign in for 3 days or the randomizer game Alexia to Stratos and he wasn't voted out the first 3 days.  Wasted role in that instance or if a player like say lolmonade this game missed the voting requirement because they missed out on voting because Majority was reached too fast in 3 consecutive days and that role is lost. 

Yes this is what I think about when planning a game. Sad I know huh?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:39:58 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2020, 11:59:20 PM »
Hey, the majority vote got me on Day 4. There was only 1 vote from Steefosaurus when I last saw the thread and when I came back the next morning, I had been voted out a few minutes earlier. Would have been nice if I'd had more a chance to counter that but not sure townies would have been swayed at that point having done it once before on Day 2.

The majority vote can be good or bad but it still falls on the players and their choices so I've got no problem with it even though I had to fight against it once and with very little time to do so. I think this is the first game where players really started utilizing the vote more even in the earlier days which I liked. Even with the MV, so many games still went a full voting period that could have been ended sooner so I began to wonder what the point was if players were never going to take advantage.

That said, I always felt the majority vote was more for the endgame then the start. In the first few days, people are going to be more divided in how they vote and choose but this gives more time to think. In the end, with fewer players, the game can stretch but the majority vote can keep it moving along quickly as often a good chunk of the players will know what is what by that point. That's why I was shaking my head a bit when BeautifulShy wanted to suddenly remove the majority vote near the end and require everyone to vote. That's when I thought the majority vote rule was most useful to move those days along.

Thatguy can say the last day was an argument against the majority vote but I disagree. That is the mafia taking a bold chance to use it to their advantage and they almost succeeded. If players want to vote quickly to end a day like that then it is their call but if they regret it later based on the results then that is also on them. Personally, I liked that it was used more this game. It gave the game more of an urgency this time around to make your case fast or you may never get to make it.  Act fast to control the vote.

Yeah, if you take a look at my post, I started considering it a little more. If townies want to act quickly and make decisions, rash or reasoned, I suppose that's up to them, right?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2020, 02:07:38 AM »
Yes but that didn't mean you then altered you first statement about it being a reason against the Majority Vote even if you mentioned at the end the counter argument. I just punched up the counterargument a bit more.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2020, 02:10:38 AM »
Yes this is what I think about when planning a game. Sad I know huh?

No. Good host planning requires running scenarios like that in your head and asking questions about the roles and rules decisions you are making. I do it myself to determine what I think will be most beneficial to the game I'm about to launch.