Author Topic: Problems with Windows 98 SE  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Problems with Windows 98 SE
« on: September 10, 2003, 11:46:59 PM »
Ok, I've had this problems for a week, and I've thought of formatting my computer, but we don't have a burner or spare HDD, and there are lots of pics (from the digital camera) we really wanna keep.

The problem is that when i start up windows, two error messages appear.
One is called 'Loader', which i found that there is a problem with the 'loader.exe' file. You can find it in the WINDOWS folder.
The second error is about some file called 'iedll.exe', and the message says that the file is corrupt. Reinstall then try again. This file is also in the WINDOWS folder.

If anyone has a way of fixing this, or has any idea what these files are so that i can replace them, it would be so helpful.

I would ring Microsoft or email them, but it costs money.
Ugh.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Problems with Windows 98 SE
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 03:26:34 AM »
I did a little checking on it, and I found this

Don't really have time to tell you much else, as I have to go to work in like 20 minutes, but I hope it helps.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 04:54:10 AM »
Haha! Hey cool! It says exactly what i can do to fix it!
but......

what exactly does that mean??
i know how to rename it, but then how do you export, and get to the registers to delete them?

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE:Problems with Windows 98 SE
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 05:32:45 AM »
To get into the registry, go to Start > Run > type in "regedit"

Navigate to the keys that the the page tells you to, and delete them as the page says. good luck.
"wow."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 12:43:11 AM »
!
No more problems!
It's all fixed!
Thanks a bunch fellas!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 02:59:50 PM »
Glad it helped.    I must mention that normally you should not edit your registry if you don't know what you are doing though.  If you screw it up, it's the best way to hose your computer.  

Offline strat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 03:35:02 PM »
I think you sould try this
[] * []
Strat

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 04:33:38 PM »
Hahahaha.
As much as I'd love to, well, no.
Although I am very much in love with the Powermac G5. It is so sexy isn't it? That monitor is seductive too. If i could win it in a competition, then i would enter it, but since there aren't any competitions, i can't afford it.

Oh hey, there's another problem i found.
When i got my cable, Optus (the Aussie telecommunications company i am with for cable) had to install Internet Explorer 6 for me to use the net. I don't know if i NEED IE6, but anyway:
every now and then, i get a message saying that there's been a problem with the browser, and two choices, send the error report or don't send it. MS likes to keep all reports confidential blah blah.
WHat happens is that the broswer I'm using closes, and a new one pops up. When i had the problem above (in my first post) this message only came up when i was opening up a new broswer. Fixing the iedll problem made it better, but now this is happening.

Is it a bug in IE6? And for any of the Aussies with Optus cable, can i just uninstall it and go back to using IE5?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 06:22:31 PM »
What is happening is you are using a browser that has some inherent crashing issues.  I am not about to tell you that Firebird is crash free, as I would be lying my ass off, but I RARELY encounter any sort of crashes anymore, and I am using the September 7th nightly.  I upgrade to the newest version about every two weeks.

A browser is just a browser.  Your ISP probably installed IE6 as a result of some sort of a deal with MS.  Much like AOL packages IE with their software.  It's not a bad thing to upgrade your browser anyways, as IE is VERY MUCH a part of your OS, but I wouldn't really recommend using it a whole lot.  It's a liability.  I just have a problem with a browser that allows websites to f*ck around with your computer without your knowledge.

But yeah.  Bottom line is that your browser is crashing, and you should really give Mozilla Firebird a try.  It's amazing you know...  People around here take my word for it when I tell them to go edit their registry... but they don't take my word for it when I tell them to upgrade their browser.    I find that rather amusing.  If I was a malevolent person, I could SO screw up your computers.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 09:42:41 PM »
Does Firebird save sessions? When my Opera chrashes (very rare) I just click "continue from last" and I'm right where I left. It even memorizes your window positions so you know where you were in a longer text.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2003, 07:37:09 AM »
No it doesn't.  When you restart, it just takes you to your homepage.  Firebird doesn't try to include a lot of frills like that though.  They try to emphasize speed above all else.  It would not surprise me if someone has already written an extension to do this already.  Mozilla is built with the philosophy of not installing features that you won't use.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2003, 09:02:21 PM »
Errr.... Firebird was built with this philosophy, the main Mozilla seems more like "throw in what you can" to me.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 04:53:46 AM »
hey guys, i found this program that does all that fixing the sh*t in your computer for you, without having to take the risk of going into the registry stuff and delting it manually.

I had a problem just 2 minutes ago when i rebooted my computer, and it said that the file 'msinfo.exe' was missing, blah blah. Apparently, the problem is that something's hacked int the system, and it slows down the connection and does other nasty stuff.
The solution?

CWShredder.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 04:41:28 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Errr.... Firebird was built with this philosophy, the main Mozilla seems more like "throw in what you can" to me.

Erm... I knew that.  My brain just wasn't talking to my hand.  Thanks for correcting me though.  I wouldn't have caught that later myself.

Still, I must mention that Mozilla has come to understand that, and that's why Firebird and Thunderbird are moving forward to create the new browser and email software for Mozilla.  The end goal of Mozilla is to create some speedy, efficient core software, and have extensions do all the extra stuff.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 01:46:26 AM »
At the point I stopped using Firebird, it had gotten rather bloated, have this fixed this?  Even the developers talked about this as a problem.  I prefer MyIE2, which I know is just a fancy shell for IE, but it offeres everything I need and never loads things wrong, as firebird did on occasion.  I used from .3 or .4 to firebird and then jumped ship.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2003, 05:30:51 AM »
erm... bloated in terms of filesize, or memory usage?

In terms of filesize, it's a very trim 6MB for the Windows version.

Firebird's most serious bug IMO is that it doesn't release cached memory over time.  The longer you use the browser without shutting it down, the more memory you use.  This isn't really a problem with me, as I have enough memory to spare for it.  The good parts of the browser make up for that bug.

But no, it's still not fixed.  It's a tricky bug to hunt down, as nobody really knows what's causing it to behave like that.