Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674448 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Thread: Congrats to the Warriors on winning the 2018-19 NBA Finals
« Reply #750 on: January 25, 2019, 02:09:21 AM »
Warriors were in D.C. today to play the Wiz - Durant's hometown.

Looks like they visited a certain #44 for the 3rd time now. LOL
after 1st Championship 2014/15 - after 3rd Ring 2017/18 & again Today
https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Instead-of-visiting-White-House-during-DC-trip-13560083.php?__twitter_impression=true

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #751 on: January 25, 2019, 11:27:00 PM »
Seems like the most appropriate place to ask: Is there a memeable version of the NBA Trade Machine that ESPN runs where I can put anything into it? Like, say, trade the owner of the Warriors to MLSE for the Canadian telco duopoly.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 28, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »
Anthony Davis won't sign a contract extension and has requested a trade

It’s important to note the Celtics, the team with the best/most assets, are ineligible to trade for Davis until July 1 this summer due to Kyrie Irving’s Designated Player contract. A team cannot have two Designated Players acquired via trade. Irving would have to be traded first or Davis would have to be traded for Irving. It’s doubtful the Pelicans would go for the latter as that should be a non-starter since Irving is a free agent and would likely leave this summer. Perhaps they would consider it depending on the other assets Boston could potentially package.

Fire up the ol’ trade machine. It’s going to be a wild trade deadline this year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 28, 2019, 11:23:25 AM »
This will be interesting...

Teams not likely to get AD this season:
Warriors (no money) - definitely out of the question (but I would've said that about Cousins before it happened too.... :/)
Celtics (as stated above - Designated Player Contract - gotta wait till summer)

Who is likely to go HARD for AD right now?
Lakers - it was stated they are willing to trade: Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma. Lebron also wants Luke fired as coach, and has been not so secretly mending fences with Kyrie for a hopeful off-season free-agent pick up.

IF the Lakers can pull off a trade for Davis, and then pick up Kyrie in the off season...
and the Warriors lose not only Cousins, but possibly Durant, there will certainly be a mix up in the West next year.

Now my question is, what contending teams in the East have something to trade for AD?
Raptors? - if the Raps can put together something, that's a helluva pitch to keep Kawhi long term.
Bucks?
Sixers?
Nets? Yes, I said the Nets.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:45:50 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 28, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
The Pelicans don’t have to trade Davis just because he requested one. It depends on how much of a headache they feel like dealing with. If they have the nerve, the best course would be to wait until the Celtics are eligible and try to pry Jason Tatum away. Most deals available now will be available this summer, including and especially the Lakers young core which I keep seeing in trade proposals.

Right now, the Lakers can play chicken with the Pelicans. The Lakers think they can get Kevin Durant. Ideally, that’s what they want anyway: sign Durant then use their young players to trade for another star player. If the Lakers want Davis now, I’d only give up Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, some draft picks, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to make the numbers work. I’d hold onto Kyle Kuzma for the trade deadline but include him during the summer.

The Pelicans will want a king’s ransom for Davis. I don’t think they’ll get it. Conparatively, the Spurs did okay in the Kawhi Leonard trade. DeMar DeRozan is a nice player. He’s no Leonard, who I actually think is better than Davis. There are injury concerns for both players.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:27 AM »
The Pelicans are totally going to botch the AD trade and I can't wait for the to move to Seattle in 5 years.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 29, 2019, 12:34:28 AM »
The Pelicans are totally going to botch the AD trade and I can't wait for the to move to Seattle in 5 years.

Pfft. It's not like New Orleans has a history of being a good basketball city. Wouldn't be the first time one of their teams had moved on to better pastures.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 29, 2019, 06:21:50 AM »
Nawlins has had a bad week,

LA has taken the Superbowl from them
and AD has taken the Pels ftom them
in the same week...

Good thing Mardi Gras is coming up next month.
Should take their mind off it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #758 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
The NBA owes us for the botched Chris Paul trade, so I'm hopeful some magic will happen.  But AD wanting out was pretty expected.  The team seemed completely incapable of building around him.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 30, 2019, 08:26:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1090778882754691073

New Orleans is being extra petty about this. I hope they get nothing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 30, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
Does that mean they plan on trading him before the deadline?
I know they've been bombarded with offers nonstop.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 31, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1090778882754691073

New Orleans is being extra petty about this. I hope they get nothing.

If they get nothing, then entitled babies like Anthony Davis get nothing either, and I'm OK with that.

Seriously, he publicly went out & demanded a trade to a better team/city, essentially giving a middle finger to the Pelicans. I hope he gets nothing.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 31, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
Pelicans management did jack with six years of having one of the best players in the NBA. Anthony Davis could have kept quiet, played out his contract, and fucked off next summer. The Pelicans at least have a chance to get some assets.

If Davis leaves in free agency, he’s a traitor. If he requests a trade, he’s an entitled baby. No wonder these guys almost always try to get ahead of it and leave a bad situation early. It’s lose-lose because people think these players owe others more than they owe themselves.

The only time fans are thankful for and loyal to a former player is via retirement or if the player leaves on the team’s terms via trade or release. When a player involuntarily leaves a team, nobody bats an eye because “it’s business.” Yet, for some reason, the same doesn’t apply to when players want to go to a better situation.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #763 on: January 31, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
Apparently, the Pelicans aren't answering calls from the Lakers right now.  Which, I guess?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 31, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »
Pelicans Vice President and General Manager Dell Demps isn’t answering, and if that continues, I wouldn’t be surprised is Magic Johnson and Lakers controlling owner and president, Jeanie Buss, just go above him and reach out to Pelicans owner, Gayle Benson, directly. Anthony Davis may just do that himself.

In early January, Benson told The Athletic, “I really like Anthony, but if he wants to leave, you can’t hold him back.” Add that to the fact that she apparently cares more about the Saints than the Pelicans, and she may just force Demps to make a deal before the deadline. Doesn’t have to be with the Lakers, just any team so this isn’t her problem anymore.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #765 on: January 31, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »
So, AD’s camp is saying that any team that takes him should expect him to walk in 2020, unless you’re the Lakers. Pels are reported as saying AD can go join the Lakers when LeBron is 35, if he wants. Not sure which was first.

But basically, the first statement makes almost any trade deal toxic; although, most expected PG to leave OKC when that trade happened. Lakers seem to have all the leverage, and the Pels seem content to not be bullied, even if it’s only a “victory” in principle.

Offline Soren

• View Profile

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 31, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »
I was just about to post about that. Is that really the best the Knicks could get for Kristaps Porzingis? Or is this another example of Knicks gonna Knick?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 31, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
This is an example of the Knicks clearing enough Cap Space to get 2 new Max Deals in the summer.

Speculation is they may have heads up that 2 big names already want to go there, and are indeed planning on coming.
that same speculation states Durant and Kyrie.

but recently it's been rumored that Kyrie is trying to be Lebron's son again and team up once more time.

but also it's been stated that Klay Thompson may have interest in The Lakers if they can land AD, so if Klay is content to leave (not happening) I see no reason why Durant wouldn't stick around with the Warriors since the money will be there, unless he really wants to go to NY (might be better off on the Nets though. LOL)

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »
So neither Rudy Golbert nor Donovan Mitchell were selected for the All Star Game. Mitchell's in the Rising Stars game, but I guess I otherwise have no reason to watch All Star weekend yet again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:31:31 AM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 01, 2019, 09:10:28 AM »
This is an example of the Knicks clearing enough Cap Space to get 2 new Max Deals in the summer.
Yeah, I get what the Knicks are trying to do. It’s still a weird risk considering their last two major free agent signings were Amar’e Stoudemire and Joakim Noah. Other than the pipe dream of being responsible for bringing the Knicks back on glory, I don’t know why any superstar free agent would consider the Knicks.

The Lakers are linked to everyone. I typically just ignore the noise unless it comes from someone like Adrian Wojnarowski.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 01, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
Two things:

1. ESPN’s Ian Begley asked Kyrie Irving if he still intends to re-sign with the Celtics. Irving replies, “Ask me July 1.” Then, he told Barbara Barker of Newsday, “At the end of the day I'm going to do what’s best for me and my career. I don’t owe anybody ****.” This is a far cry from telling fans in October, “If you guys will have me back, I plan on re-signing here.”

2. According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, “The Boston Celtics aren't a preferred destination long-term for New Orleans star Anthony Davis, and in Davis’ mind, remain a rental option.”

The Celtics’ entire plan was to trade the farm this summer for Anthony Davis with the intention of pairing him with Kyrie Irving. Take the Celtics offer off the table, and the Pelicans lose major leverage against the Lakers.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 01, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »

Speculation is they may have heads up that 2 big names already want to go there, and are indeed planning on coming.
that same speculation states Durant and Kyrie.

My question in all of this is simple.

People have seen what the Knicks Front Office has done the last decade. Knowing that, why would you join them?

EDIT: Or the Knicks are just straight up tampering and already know KD is going to sign with them. Literally the only way this trade makes any sense.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:26:27 PM by Soren »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #773 on: February 01, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »
If they think they can pull two stars, then good for them.  I hope they do.  But Knicks are gonna Knick for a while.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #774 on: February 01, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
The Knicks are basically the Toronto Maple Leafs with more incompetent ownership.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.