Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674415 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nick Young: NBA champion.
JaVale McGee has more rings than Moses Malone.
And the thread title stays intact for another year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
It’s about that time I get bored watching a team dominate. I don’t even care if they come back and win in 2020. I’ve had my fill of Warriors in the Finals for now.

In 1994 I had the unfortunate look of picking the Warriors as my favorite team. 9 year-old me had no idea the sadness that he would inherit for the next 20 years. So you know what? Dominate all you want Warriors. I will not get tired of this.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Curry would have had that FMVP still if he managed to hit 2-3 more 3's and gotten that 43+ pts and 9-10 3's to either tie or break the new record he just set.

I feel like they kept giving him every chance to do it, but he just kept missing his 3's down the stretch in the last 10-12 minutes of garbage time. LOL I feel bad for Steph, he looked sad he didn't get it, but in the end, he fell just short of earning it. Maybe next year. I got my money on you again Steph.  Don't let me down next time.

On the freshly swept side of the floor....
Lebron just straight gave up, he was not getting much of anything from anyone on his team.
That crushing Game 1 loss totally deflated him, Curry lighting him up in Game 2 poked another hole, KD roasting the whole Cavs team in Game 3 while Steph and Klay both went cold as ice from everywhere on the court, and the Cavs still couldn't be bothered... I just don't think the motivation was there to take it back to Oakland one more time... for what?
He's gone. He knows it. The whole team knows it. The entire NBA organization knows it. Anyone paying attention knew this a long time ago.

It’s about that time I get bored watching a team dominate. I don’t even care if they come back and win in 2020. I’ve had my fill of Warriors in the Finals for now.

In 1994 I had the unfortunate look of picking the Warriors as my favorite team. 9 year-old me had no idea the sadness that he would inherit for the next 20 years. So you know what? Dominate all you want Warriors. I will not get tired of this.

I'm cheering right next to you. WAAAAAARRRIOOOORRRRSS!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:21:58 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Warriors vs Celtics with Lebron in 2019, book it!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
That’s fair. I’d at least like competitive basketball. Besides the Rockets series, the Warriors coasted through the playoffs. There are certain instances in which I want blowout victories (e.g. last year’s Finals due to NBA interference in 2016). Otherwise, I find close games more compelling.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
That’s fair. I’d at least like competitive basketball. Besides the Rockets series, the Warriors coasted through the playoffs. There are certain instances in which I want blowout victories (e.g. last year’s Finals due to NBA interference in 2016). Otherwise, I find close games more compelling.

Then your issue is with the League for what is happening right now. Had they not interfered in 2016, and the Warriors won 15-16 Back 2 Back, Durant likely never signs with the Warriors.
then again... they were recruiting him anyway... so maybe he does join and they go 4 or more in a row. LOL

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I’ve never been coy about how much I hated Draymond Green’s suspension in the 2016 Finals. It made no sense and wrecked that series so the league could get two additional games and the advertising dollars that came with it. That’s a separate issue.

The Warriors built a great team even before Durant got there. I have no issues with the Warriors per se. I actually thoroughly enjoy watching the Warriors. As a basketball fan, how can one not? Their system is so nice, the way they move the ball, set screens. Klay Thompson’s shooting form is probably the most fundamentally sound in the league right now.

I’m a basketball fan first and foremost. While I follow certain teams, I care more about the sport itself than the teams that play it. Any team dominating the league for an extended period of time just doesn’t really interest me. I can enjoy watching highlights, but I’ll tune out of games. If Team X is just steamrolling over other teams, I don’t need to watch that. I love the drama of close games, buzzer beaters/game-winners, late game defensive stops.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
I think the worst thing that could have happened in these Finals was getting Cleveland again. And the best thing that happened is having the Warriors destroy them so badly that the team gave up halfway through the 3rd quarter last night. GS proved that Cleveland does not belong in this strata of NBA basketball, not with the front office they have and certainly not with the players. If LeBron wants any chance at another championship he'll do the right thing and stop dragging this corpse of a team where it doesn't belong.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
At least now with the Finals over we can finally get to the season awards, probably the only aspect of the NBA left where there might be at least a little surprise.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Popular speculation around the league has Lebron talking to the following teams in the very near future....

Lakers
Philly
Warriors
Celtics

there are a few others I can't remember off the top of my head, but those were the most interesting to me.

- Lakers sees him bring in another player. PG13, Kawhi, CP3, Boogie?
- Philly allows him to bring in a GM. who was his outed GM in Cleveland? I forget, but opportunity is knocking
- Warriors.... LOL that ain't happening
- Celtics reunites him with Kyrie (part of the plan all along!? good team, real competent coach, and only way to get get Kyrie there ahead of time and not gut the team?)

NBA Awards will hopefully be interesting as well.
Rookie of the Year (Simmons or Mitchell)
Choke Artist of the Year (that should be a category) (Harden or Toronto Raptors)
Regular Season MVP (most likely Harden, could be Lebron though)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:02:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
This the type of **** that happens to Curry in so many games yet 99% of the time never gets a whistle
https://streamable.com/nl566

This is the **** that keeps him from getting touches and getting in rhythm. I understand why it happens, but the damn refs need to call this **** sometimes. It's not a simple body bump, they are literally grabbing and mauling this cat, and he almost never complains about it. Just keeps on playing.

They had said that after game 3, Curry was getting treated for tons of scratches, some bleeding....

Did anyone see Lebroom at the post game with the cast on? Broke his hand after game 1 punching a whiteboard because he was so pissed off?

Yeah? ok, good, because here is the Top Joke of the Finals.....
Well, at least now, that the series is over, Lebron has a supporting cast.

and random facts...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:15:49 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
That's why Jordan will always be the GOAT: if he got pissed off about something, he'd break his hand on Toni Kukoc's face.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Sheesh, this Kawhi Leonard thing.

I wasn't going to post Kevin Pelton's article about how the Lakers can land James, George, AND Leonard, but Leonard formally requested a trade to Los Angeles according to both Chris Haynes and Adrian Wojnarowski (favors Lakers but didn't rule out Clippers) so it's relevant here. Pelton suggested:

1. Leonard has to request a trade to the Lakers.
2. The Lakers send Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, and Luol Deng (to match salaries) to the Spurs for Leonard.

I chalked it up as an off-season puff piece, just click-bait BS since there's nothing to talk about until the draft. Then, Leonard actually requested a trade so I think it's worth discussing.

This might sound crazy, but I don't think the Lakers should make that trade. They'd give up too much given the circumstances. Everyone remembers Carmelo Anthony's trade to the Knicks in 2011. Had he waited what, four months, the Knicks would have had a great core around Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. Front Office Rule #1: Don't gut your team for a superstar on an expiring contract. A roster featuring James, Leonard, and George looks great on paper, but the team loses Ball, Kuzma, and probably Julius Randle. Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart round out the starting lineup then there's NO ONE. That team isn't better than the Warriors. Sure, they can get some cheap veterans, but I'd still bet on the Warriors 100 times out of 100.

The Spurs are working from an extremely weak position. They can try to demand a ransom, but Leonard has all the power. All his reps have to say is, "He will not re-sign with you." Okay, maybe someone (read: Danny Ainge) takes that chance, but even that idea is fraught with risk. First, who knows when he comes back from injury? Second, he clearly has no problem sitting out almost an entire season AND not traveling with the team. If you're NOT a team on his preferred list, do you give up any decent assets to potentially never see Leonard on the court then watch helplessly when he putzes off next summer?

Kawhi Leonard was the best player on a championship team, arguably the best two-way player currently, and probably still considered the second best overall player in the league. He knows he can sit out an entire season again and teams will still beg him to sign. Who fucks with this guy? That's a dangerous game of chicken, my friend.

Since this story heavily involves the Lakers, let's go back to them. Magic Johnson, who clearly doesn't give a **** about the NBA's tampering rules, probably knows where he stands on free agency. If I'm the Lakers, I try to get this deal done on draft night. Send Ball, Deng, 2018 25th pick (via the Cavs) and their own 2019 and 2021 picks, and maybe a second round pick and/or Ivica Zubac. The trade would have to be agreed upon before the Lakers select this year so the Spurs can choose the player and still get the Lakers 2019 pick due to the Stepien rule. I would build the trade around Ball because he has the highest upside, the most years left on his rookie contract, and if they get Leonard, that's enough to convince James to sign (George is probably a lock) who would take the ball out of Ball's hands anyway. I don't give up Ingram, Kuzma, or Josh Hart because they're good rotation pieces at this point in their careers. Maybe they can work something out to keep Randle. George and James would have to take less than the max so probably not.

That's the best case scenario, and I don't actually think that's going to happen. It depends on who blinks first though. I don't believe Johnson and Rob Pelinka gut the team for Leonard since they know the Lakers are his preferred destination. They're more likely to sign who they can now and kick the can down the road until next summer. You don't build a successful team by surrendering a bunch of talent. It just sucks immensely when a star player holds you hostage. Sorry, Pop.

EDIT: There are conflicting reports on whether Kawhi Leonard personally requested a trade or if his camp leaked it to the press.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:10:27 PM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
No one wants to talk about Kawhi Leonard?

I believe the Spurs refuse to trade him to the Lakers out of spite. Leonard helped them win a championship, but there’s no real loyalty in sports except when the Lakers gave Kobe Bryant that hilarious last contract. The Lakers don’t panic and sell the farm because they’re still paying for the Deng and Mozgov deals. I just think this situation is so fascinating due to all the moving parts.

1. Kawhi Leonard and his camp can practically dictate where he goes by refusing to re-sign AND refusing to return from injury.
2. The Spurs don’t have to make any moves right now. **** it. Let him sit out another season and walk next summer. They’re so good at drafting and developing talent that they can be patient. Maybe try to get something at the trade deadline if there’s a deal that nets them something without taking back anything that will hamper future flexibility.
3. Boston may roll the dice because they have assets to spare. I still think Danny Ainge is biding his time until he can make a run for Anthony Davis. Renting Leonard if he doesn’t want to be there is only a possibility if they don’t give up the assets necessary to snag Davis.
4. The Sixers don’t want to part with Markelle Fultz, Dario Saric, AND a pick without any assurance Leonard re-signs. They won’t get that reassurance. But they might do it anyway if they can also sign LeBron James.

My favorite trade floated around is Leonard to the Kings for the 2018 second pick (who probably ends up being Luka Dončić) and other pieces to make the salaries match. Then, Kawahi bolts next summer when the Kings don’t have their own pick. The drama of that whole situation. Would the NBA watch the Kings continue to **** up without intervening? I mean, the league stopped The Process right when Sam Hinke’s plan was starting to come together. I just feel bad for the Kings, but I enjoy watching this ownership group fail. I hope they sell the team.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
That Lakers situation of Kawhi, PG13 and Lebron is scary for the Warriors.

I never thought of Kawhi on the Sixers, I always figured he would take that SuperMax contract they are gonna offer him, and call it a career.

Not really much more to say on it though till something starts to develop.

How about Warriors working out LiAngelo (nuKlay) Ball though....
I don't think I could suffer through Lavar Ball repping the Dubs though. He needs to either stay in LA or Lithuania with LaMelo

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Been some talk going around about the Jazz possibly trading for Kevin love, giving the Cavs some minor bench players (and Alec Burks) and some first round picks for him. It'd be a good trade for the Jazz since they'd give up nothing of value & Favors could be the bench backup at that position.

I dunno, though. It feels like the Jazz really need a PG (Donovan usually plays SG) and a backup center on par with Gilbert, not a PF.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
That Lakers situation of Kawhi, PG13 and Lebron is scary for the Warriors.
Depending on who the Lakers would give up. My money is still on the Warriors until I’m given reason to change my mind. It’s on other teams to prove they can hang with the champs.
I never thought of Kawhi on the Sixers, I always figured he would take that SuperMax contract they are gonna offer him, and call it a career.
I’ve heard conflicting things on this, ranging from the Spurs not wanting to offer the supermax because they’re so used to the David Robinson and Tim Duncan types who will take a discount to be part of a system and basically shut up and play to the Spurs apparently taking the supermax off the table until Leonard proved he was committed to the team, as in they would wait until at least he got back on the court and played for a while before offering it which wasn’t even a guarantee. Bad move? Maybe the Spurs called his bluff? Leonard (and/or his camp) already felt slighted by the handling of his injury. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Spurs were so bold.

I’m not really sure how I feel about this. Was all this squabbling on Leonard’s people to force Spurs to offer the supermax? Did the Spurs really mismanage his injury despite being known as the team that doesn’t do that? Either way, an $80 million difference is a lot at stake. I tend to side with players more than teams. And if the Spurs refused to even entertain a trade to the team Leonard requested just to spite him, that shows their true colors. I wouldn’t want to play there if I was a star player.
Been some talk going around about the Jazz possibly trading for Kevin love, giving the Cavs some minor bench players (and Alec Burks) and some first round picks for him. It'd be a good trade for the Jazz since they'd give up nothing of value & Favors could be the bench backup at that position.
Assuming LeBron James leaves, the Cavs definitely want at least a first and preferably not to take on long term money. This would be a good move for the Jazz even though Love is a minus defensive player. I mean, he tries, but he isn’t very good on the side of the court. In any case, the Jazz could use another option on offense instead of asking Donovan Mitchell to do so much. They lost to the Rockets. I wanted but didn’t expect the Jazz to prevail. If the Cavs blow it up this summer, I kind of hope this trade happens. Might as well make the West more competitive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Hornets agreed to trade Dwight Howard to Nets for Timofey Mozgov, cash, and two second round daft picks, 2018 (45th) and 2021. This deal (which can’t be officially completed until July 6) looks worse on paper than it actually is. Both teams get what they want: the Nets create two max slots next summer by shedding Mozgov for Howard’s expiring contract and the Hornets get some much needed salary cap relief. The team is probably going into tank mode. I expect Kenba Walker to be dealt this off-season.

In Kawhi Leonard news, he reportedly met with Gregg Popovich, requested a trade to Los Angeles (preferably Lakers), and will alert other teams interested in a trade that he intends to sign in Los Angeles next year. I’m not sure if he name dropped Lakers specifically. Either way, yikes.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Trade value TANKED!!!!

Pops is probably gonna retire after this year if he can't get the Spurs vets to retire and attract new talent or get good draft picks this season.

I feel like this Kawhii, Lebron, PG13 this is gonna happen....
Magic said late last season that they might not chase FA this summer, but wait till next summer....
it all seems to make sense now. Magic don't seem to care about tampering, so I bet there's been some back-channel talks happening to put this all in place since many months ago.
I bet SAS still ship him to some team in the East and let them take a shot at convincing him to stay.

I think it's gonna be an even more interesting off-season this year than last year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Anyone paying attention to the draft?

I'm not personally, but i wouldn't mind hearing someone knowledgeable about its opinion on top picks and who should get who and why they would be a good fit, or why certain teams are being stupid to trade/pick/sell.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I never watch the draft, but I’ll refresh ESPN to check for selections and, more importantly, trades. I mean, Jimmy Butler was traded on draft night. I love player movement. It’s the only thing that gets me through this part of the off-season. Mid-July to October is brutal.

I don’t know too much about the available players as I haven’t been keeping up with it as much as past years. I think Luka Dončić is considered to be the most polished player in the draft. He probably doesn’t get picked first for a couple reasons. Others are considered to have a higher ceiling. I expect the Suns to pick Deandre Ayton with the first pick because he’s an Arizona Wildcat. It kind of reminds of how the Rockets picked Hakeem Olajuwon, who was a Houston Cougar, with the first pick even though Michael Jordan was on the board. The Kings won’t pick Dončić because if that’s the correct choice, they won’t make it. Marvin Bagley or Trae Young are expected to go two and three, but pour a 40 oz on the curb for the career of the player picked by the Kings.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
The Jazz picked Grayson Allen out of Duke for their 1st round pick. I said before that the Jazz really needed another Guard, and that's exactly what they drafted. He's apparently good, but more of a defensive player than a shooter. I'm not familiar with college players, but this sounds like the right call.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Donovan Mitchell got robbed, and by a middling player in the Leastern Conference who's not even a Rookie, no less.  ::)

Edit: I wish the news about these rewards was more accurately reported, as I continually saw people other than Golbert listed as winning Defensive Player of the Year, but nope! It went to Rudy Golbert. Well deserved.
Pity to lose Coach of the Year to the guy who was so terrible he's not even coach of the Raptors anymore.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:12:23 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Jebus, man. Those are some sour grapes.

1. Ben Simmons had a better overall year. Yeah, it was closer than anyone was expecting; Simmons still had a better year.
2. It doesn’t matter that Simmons plays in the East.
3. It also doesn’t matter that Simmons redshirted the year he was drafted. He didn’t play a single second that year. Full stop.
4. Rookie of the Year is a trash tier award. It ultimately says nothing about what a player will become or how long he’ll be in the league. Michael Carter-Williams, 2014 Rookie of the Year, was in the same draft class as Giannis Antetokounmpo and even another Jazz player, Rudy Gobert. I guess no expected them to be as good as they became, but that’s exactly my point.
5. Donovan Mitchell is a player the Jazz had no business getting for what they traded to get him. That’s worth more than some award that only matters when a player doesn’t live up to it (see: MCW again).