Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674309 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Thread: Now with only Warriors and Cavs!
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2017, 02:28:47 AM »
Since this entire forum is dead, and now I'm just basically talking to myself I'll just celebrate over here that my Warriors are up 3-0 (came back from a 16 point deficit in the first half - JaMailman McMVP to the resue!!!)
The Grizz tied their series 2-2 (crazy game in the 4th and OT - Kawhi is not human)
The Hawks won one making their series 2-1  (Wall was the only Wizard to show up today)
and the Clippers won making it 2-1 in their favor (Griffin out w/ another post-season ending injury...)

Hopefully the Pacers can stay alive tomorrow (which sucks for them as they should be up 2-1 right now)
and the Bulls can win another against the Celts (would be 3-0 if Rondo hadn't hurt himself)
The Bucks need to annihilate the Raptors in their next game to take a 3-2 lead (todays game was terribad).
and last but not least, OKC needs another home victory to tie the series 2-2. WB may have won MVP for regular season (not confirmed yet) but he needs to stick it to Harden to solidify his case.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2017, 03:34:39 AM »
All the sports threads on this site are 90% one person talking to themselves.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
This first round has been pretty butt really. A bunch of overmatched teams who have no shot at winning getting blown out pretty regularly and now everyone is starting to get injured. The dragged out nature of a 7 game series first round after the boring drag of March/April regular season basketball is not a good look for the league.

I wish I was more excited for the Warriors but I came into this postseason knowing Round 1 was pretty much a given. Nurkic made yesterday's game slightly more exciting but I knew GS had a run in them Portland would be unable to stop. Conference Semis is where I really start getting into it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »
Nurkic was not looking good. I know he broke his leg 3 weeks ago!!! but he was kinda hobbled out there and couldn't really jump or run. I know he provided a positive presence in the paint, and it was basically his last chance this season to make an impact for his team, but he was also a liability that Blazers were lucky that Warriors didn't try to fully exploit.
I fully expect him to NOT play the 4th game and risk further injury just to avoid a sweep, when the writing is already on the wall: The Blazers are not advancing.

The Grizz / Spurs game was crazy in the end. They were defenitely not getting ROOKED last night. Even though Kawhi went off in the fourth and OT basically carrying his team back from a double digit deficit, the Grizz just managed to stay 1 step ahead, as they had more than one player on the court. If someone could have gotten Kawhi that full synthetic oil a little sooner, it would have been 3-1 Spurs right now. I expect the next 2 games to be quite the match up over here. Not sure who is gonna win in the end, but I still favor the Spurs just because Kawhi is that good.

Pretty much every East Conference game has been a snoozefest with a few highlight here, and a few highlights there.

as far as todays games go:

Cavs @ Pacers... I think we know the outcome. Cavs win the series in 4 or 5, either way who cares. Pacers had their opportunity to be up 2-1 on the Cavs and blew both chances. I've lost all faith in PG13 to pull out any meaningful win in this series. At this point, Lebrons end season concession is looking like some advanced chess move, but I would love to be wrong though.

Rockets @ Thunder - this is gonna be a battle royal. I still hate the game that Harden plays, and would love for WB to dominate the entire game, maybe even w/ another 40+ point triple double,  but if the rest of the Thunder don't show up and help, it's gonna be a lost cause for OKC.
The league really needs to address the issue that Harden is working so hard to draw attention to by absolutely abusing, the offense initiated contact to draw a foul. This really either needs to become a non-call or even better, an offensive foul, as that's exactly what it is.

Celtics @ Bulls - I'm pulling for the Bulls all day on this one. They may be a dysfunctional team, but Rondo will be back by game 5 or 6, and I know Lebron doesn't want to face them. Celtics just don't have what it takes to be a serious contender to anyone in a 7 game series, and it sucks what IT is going through, but they cannot present a serious threat to the Wiz or the Cavs, and certainly not the Spurs, Rockets or Warriors. TNTBulls at least stand a chance in the East against the top teams.

Clippers @ Jazz - Clippers are doomed if they do and doomed if they don't. But won't it be SO EXCITING to watch them get absolutely demolished by the Warriors in the 2nd round, especially knowing just how much they hate that team for being so damn good? The fireworks alone from the implosion of CP3 and DeAndre to the rest of the team, and Doc blowing up and the front office not knowing what to do, and the look on Blake Griffin's face when he realized he's about to be traded as the team is blown up in the off season. I don't know when Gobert will be back, but if it isn't this game, it will be the next. I know the Jazz don't want to go down 3-1 and have to defend their playoff existence back in LA, but Gobert isn't ready to play, do you risk injury for an all but guaranteed 1st round anyway just to bring him back today?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »
LeBron sweeps and sets the record for most playoffs sweeps.

I agree that the 7 series might be too much.  Honestly, there's almost too much NBA.  Too many games don't really matter.  The shortened season from the lockout a few years back was one of the best because of how short it was.  I think the league would be better off going to that format permanently.  However, I don't think anyone involved in the decision making would vote for that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
Pacers are garbage. PG is garbage. He had a press conference saying "I should get that last shot"
he got a gatorade commercial where he uses what looks like recent Lebron moments and attributed them to a commercial of "What if" it was Paul George instead. They gave him the last shot and he MISSED EVERYTHING.... it was hilariously sad.
swept for the first time in Pacers history, and they should have already been up 2-1 in the series. disappointing.

Bulls disappointed. They came back from down 15 or something, and made it a 1 point game to go right back down by 11 or something like that. I really don't see the lure of Jimmy Butler... I've tried, this is probably the 10th Bulls game I've watched this season, and I'm just not impressed by individually or the team as a whole (w/o Rondo). It doesn't help that IT ran game on these fools in the paint too.
I think the Bulls may still pull this one off, but the TNT Bulls is asteriks with *w/Rondo. Neither team has won a home game. so if that continues, that's in the Bulls favor. I personally don't care who wins, as either team will likely be smoked by The Wizards anyway. I was just pulling for the Bulls just incase they happened to keep it together and make it to the ECFinals.

I can't believe the Clippers chocked this one away in the final 4 minutes. Gobert was limited. Hayward **** himself in the locker room and got sent home and the Clips got schooled by Iso Joe in the final minutes of game 4. CP3 gotta be so damn frustrated.

and the Thunder... what can I say about this game other than Oladipo is a moron. OKC coach is a dumbass, and Roberson needs to figure out how he can shoot the 3 so well, but the free throw is apparently too difficult. Russ couldn't have done more to put his team in a position to win, and 2 people (Oladipo & the Coach) basically pissed it away in the final seconds of the game. This was very winnable, and Russ and Roberson are not the ones to blame.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
This was very winnable, and Russ and Roberson are not the ones to blame.

Nah, I'm totally blaming Westbrook for his piss-poor shot selection on those last 2 minutes. What we're seeing right now is the natural end-game of a team that chose to be carried by a single person. A team where the 4 other guys on the floor end up so demoralized by having to get carried that they can barely dribble a basketball it seems. Westbrook gets lauded for all the heroics, and he did a lot in those final minutes of Game 4. But he also:

- Ran into Nene and shot/flinged the ball resulting in a turnover. That was the end result of not really running a play and Houston's ball-denial on Russ.
- Bricked a 3 pointer. Ok fine, Houston couldn't get the rebound. OKC got it back
- He bricks another 3 pointer somehow making it look worse than the previous one because he was trying to get a call from the refs.
- After his heroic three pointer off the Adams FT miss, he immediately leaves his man to join a 4-1 quadruple team. As a result of this Trevor Ariza, who was THE GUY WHO THREW THE INBOUNDS PASS, slipped by everyone a caught Gordon's pass to set up a 2 on 1 with Nene against Steven Adams.
- Bricks a 3 pointer on a catch and shoot.
- Runs into Steven Adams and coughs up the ball. GAME OVER.

We can't laud Westbrook and then turn around and **** all over Oladipo, Donovan and the rest of the team for whatever happened. The team chose to defer to Russ all season and is now ill-prepared to compete in a 7 game playoff series. This should surprise no one.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:07:39 PM by Soren »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »
Nope. They all made mistakes, but the one that definitively cost then the game was coach not subbing out Roberson after the second foul when it became apparent that they were going to hack him for missed free throws. Not after the fourth.
Then Oladipo for not immediately fouling on that inbounds while the game was in reach. And then on whoever it was for touch fouling Nene on the layup when they should have hard fouled/wrapped him up, forcing only 2 free throws, and not an &1 situation putting the game out of reach.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
And Westbrook went 1/4 from 3 point range and had 3 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game. Regardless of what Oladipo or Jerami Grant did or did not do, it all falls on Westbrook when they lose, just like it all falls on him when they win. This is what he wanted to do this season.

Hell, Westbrook so into his attitude this year he doesn't even mind stealing questions meant for Steven Adams in the post game press conferences.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »
LOL. I agree. But it's not his fault everyone one else on his team can barely create their own offense.
But his usage rate to have to distribute the ball when he is in does kill most chances for other players to get in any sort of rhythm.

But enough about Westbrick.

How bout dem WARRIORS!!!!
Holy **** this game.

I think it started out something like 29-4 in the first 7 minutes. Warriors ended up tying the Playoff record of 45 in the 1st all because Dray couldn't hit 1 of 2 free throws at the end of the quarter....
The Blazers were absolutely shook tho. They didn't know what to do, and the Warriors just came out so explosive that all the blazers were in shock. I don't think they got a shot of in the first 2 minutes of the game, and didn't actually score till the warriors were almost up by 20.
Dagger after dagger after dagger. First Durant w/ a 3, then Klay, the Dray, then Curry, then Dray again, then Klay again and then Curry again... and again and again. It was brutal. I almost felt bad for the Blazers, but no mercy in the playoffs.

I made this on my phone and put it up on my IG

so excuse the low quality and look of lack of effort. LOL

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:40:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:37 PM »
The Westbrook conversation reminds me of the early LeBron days.  He still doesn't get credit for dragging a team of lifeless nobodies to the finals because he got swept in the finals.  But that's all he did during his first stint with the Cavs: drag lifeless nobodies through the playoffs.

Pardon the pun, but Paul George (who I'm just realizing has two first names) has had a bad break.  He got injured when his team was most competitive and now it feels like his career is reset.  I honestly hope he finds a new home where he can compete.  Kinda like how LeBron did.

Speaking of great players and bad teams, Westbrook gets props for staying in OKC, but he needs to go.  If only there was a team who could maybe take both?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
Maybe PG should go join the Wizards, or the Heat.
Westbrook.... Stay where he's at, get another all-star level ball handler, and a playmaker that can shoot.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
In the six minutes Westbrook spent resting on the bench tonight the Rockets outscored the Thunder 27-9. Ridiculously bad.

That being said, I don't know why anyone would want to join that tire fire in the offseason. Westbrook needs a change of scenery.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2017, 02:18:49 AM »
I just don't see where he would go, and who would want him with his style of play.
He also seems pretty loyal to anchor tied to his ankle in OKC. He might try to triple double it one more year, and maybe get lucky on getting a vet or two before trade deadlines next year if they are in a position to make a playoff run again.

But OKC is out, but Harden got called on one of his bullshit offensive grabbing fouls.
Ref almost gave it to him, but then common sense overtook him and he called it an offensive foul. what a fucking relief. It ultimately didn't matter, but it's progress. I hope they keep nailing him on that **** everytime he tries to desperately pull it off.

Spurs are 1 away from moving on, but Conley and the Grizz put up a helluva fight. The next game is probably gonna be a good one. Maybe they'll move it to TNT and off of NBAtv so everyone can watch it.
and the Jazz are 1 away from moving on, but i'm not sure they are ready for what comes next.
CP3 refused to let his team die w/o a fight though. in the end Hawyard and Iso Joe just kept pouring it on. Whether it be in the next game or 2, or the 4 that come after that, there will be some fireworks in LA very soon. Loud Explosions stars flying everywhere. It's gonna be a sight to behold.

Tomorrow:

Hawks @ Wizards
Bulls @ Celtics

I see the Wiz taking gm5 and the Bulls taking gm5, but only time will tell.
Both series could go the full 7

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
I just don't see where he would go, and who would want him with his style of play.
He also seems pretty loyal to anchor tied to his ankle in OKC. He might try to triple double it one more year, and maybe get lucky on getting a vet or two before trade deadlines next year if they are in a position to make a playoff run again.

He played like this when Durant was with the team, I don't see why any vet would think this team would be good for a deep playoff run next year either.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
Of course the Jazz would finally have a good season the year I have no means of actually watching any of their games. -_-

On a happy note, Chris Paul is continuing his streak of never getting a team to the Conference Finals. ^_^

(No, I'm not a CP3 fan. Just another overrated pretender to Stockton's legacy)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2017, 03:11:07 PM »
Well, your Jazz failed to finish off the Clips in gm6, so now this series is the ONLY game 7 of round 1.
what's funny though is even though the Rockets Spurs and the Cavs Raptors could have started sooner, the Celts Wiz series starts tomorrow.
NO REST. LOL.
NBA gives no fucks. lol
I guess that's the reward for those that finished sooner, more rest.

My Warriors don't play again till Tuesday. as we are waiting on the sacrificial lamb of Jazzy Clips.
GO CLIPPERS!!!

Anyone care to make game by game predictions?

Sun: Wiz @ Celts game 1  // Jazz @ Clips game 7
Mon: Raps @ Cavs game 1  // Rockets @ Spurs game 1
Tues: Wiz @ Celts game 2*  // ? ? ? @ Warriors game 1

*need to see how gm1 turns out before predictions on gm2.

I'm betting on the
Wiz taking gm1
Clips taking gm7
Cavs taking gm1
Spurs taking gm1

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
Anyone care to make game by game predictions?

Sun: Wiz @ Celts game 1  // Jazz @ Clips game 7
Mon: Raps @ Cavs game 1  // Rockets @ Spurs game 1
Tues: Wiz @ Celts game 2*  // ? ? ? @ Warriors game 1

*need to see how gm1 turns out before predictions on gm2.

I'm betting on the
Wiz taking gm1
Clips taking gm7
Cavs taking gm1
Spurs taking gm1

I figured I would elaborate since I have a moment and wandered back here.

Wiz taking gm1 - I don't see the Celtics as particularly competitive. They happen to beat an 8th seed that lacked any energy or motivation to play after Rondo was sidelined. otherwise I think the Bulls may have taken it in 4. unfortunate Rondo got hurt. I feel if the Hawks had actually played for the win in the final game of the season and beat the Pacers, the Heat would have run the Celtics out the building in 4, and the Bulls would have won atleast the first game or 2 on the Cavs. Long story short, playoff Celtics have not impressed.

Clips taking gm7 - This is more hope than anything. Jazz are perfectly capable of taking out the Clips, but the Clips are capable of beating the Jazz as well. Gobert or no Gobert. Clips just seem like more fun in round 2 to me than the Jazz. Either team is headed for a hopeless 2nd round in 5 at most. Warriors are in playground mode right now, like they running game on the blacktop.

Cavs taking gm1 - The Raptors failed to impress me at any point during that Bucks series. Maybe the Bucks were just matching them up really good, but I saw little from Lowry, and if he isn't going to show up and leave it all up to Derozan, the Cavs aren't going to have too much trouble finishing this series in 5. Ibaka also needs to step his game up too. I'm hoping it's actually a much better match up than I'm picturing in my head, as the Raptors have been gearing up to beat the Cavs. I just hope they show up in a way that they didn't in the Bucks series.

Spurs taking gm1 - If the Rockets game is anything like in the OKC series, I don't expect them to get bailed out by 20+ missed freethrows and a few fake shooting offensive grabs from the 3pt line called as BS shooting fouls to give Harden or Williams 3 free shots. Spurs are too smart for that ****, and Harden got called for one in gm5 of the last series. I think the Refs may be tired of it too (thank gawd). Besides, Kawhi has been in beast mode offensively and defensively, and unless the Rockets are target locked from the outside, I think game 1 is home victory

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2017, 10:50:40 PM »
Round 2 starting Sunday with Round 1 still ongoing is fucking absurd.  Especially since the teams that swept (or are playing the teams that swept) are getting extra days.

I hope the NBA's efforts to fix their scheduling issues extends to the playoffs.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2017, 11:40:32 PM »
The level of IDGAF when it comes to scheduling and refereeing in the NBA is quite hilarious in all the wrong ways.

Round 2 is officially set. Clippers make the expected early exit from the playoff, yet again.

Short thoughts on the Jazz @ Warriors gm1 - Jazz get no rest.. well Gobert got plenty of rest today having only played like 12 minutes before fouling out. LOL But coming in already warmed up, maybe even a little bruised up, vs a Warriors team that's been chillin', well rested and probably gambled on watching nothing but Jazz tape this past week knowing that the Clips weren't gonna make the cut, I don't see this going the Jazz way, as the only things that seems to stop the warriors is themselves. The Warriors are focused and ready to play, while the Jazz barely get a moment to breathe... at least they were already in California, so travel shouldn't be too much of an issue.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:18:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2017, 02:07:59 AM »
As a Jazz fan, look...we know this round is the end, but this is much-needed experience for a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since none of the current team were here. They weren't even supposed to beat the Clippers, so they're just happy to be there at this point. That said, the Jazz are never an "easy out" in the playoffs, as the Warriors saw their "Cinderella year". The Jazz will go down fighting, probably in 5-6 games.

The most important thing here is that Chris Paul still can't lead a team in the playoffs. :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:09:48 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
I dunno man... I'm sure the Jazz won't go down easy, but I expect the Dubs to "son" the Jazz much like the Cavs are doing to the Raptors right now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2017, 11:49:33 PM »
I dunno man... I'm sure the Jazz won't go down easy, but I expect the Dubs to "son" the Jazz much like the Cavs are doing to the Raptors right now.

Ate you seriously comparing a series between 2 Eastern Conference teams & one between 2 teams from the BESTern Conference? :P Seriously, you aren't gift-wrapped a playoff appearance in the Western Conference, so I have a bit more faith that this match might be a TAD better than the usual Eastern Conference browbeating.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:07 AM »
I'm taking these series 1 game at a time.
I'm expecting the series to maybe go 5, and several of the games to be close.

But if it makes you feel better, the Warriors will treat the Jazz only slightly better than the pants down ass beating the Rockets gave the Spurs tonight....

Jazz come in consensual to their spanking, and we are even nice enough to give them a safe word. Just remember to play like you don't want it, as it's no fun when it's easy. ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:09:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2017, 02:44:31 AM »
See, I told you we'd be gentle. It wasn't a rough ride, even if Curry had to make Gobert dance like a marrionette, Just 3 more games, and it will all be over. ;) :P

but on to the more interesting of the 2 games today..... I can't believe The Wiz blew that late 4th quarter lead, then miss the 2 game winning shots, and then got shut down by Isiah in OT.
and IT almost knocked his replaced tooth back out. LOL.
If the Celtics make it to the Finals, there is an underdog movie getting made on ABC or Lifetime about this Celtics team. The Wiz had this ****... or so it looked. But you could have said the same thing in the 1st game halfway through the 1st quarter.

So... who's got the Raps winning a game against the Cavs?
who's got the Spurs putting the hurt on the Rockets next game?