Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674492 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2675 on: May 19, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »
Tonight's the night. S.Dubs v LeLakers
booming voice: "the Quintessential match of Play-In History."
Adam Silver: All according to Keikaku

Lebron referring to Steph as this seasons MVP (I know he's setting the narrative for his tremendous victory in the finals should he win it... and hopeful buttering up of Steph to come to the Lakers or LeBron to come to the Warriors)

Several other players following the Steph Curry MVP narrative as well.

don't be surprised if Steph syphons off enough votes to make this closer than you think, or outright win it by thin margin. A lot of hype on that conversation... it may cool down by the time the vote actually happens, but it if were to happen today, I think Steph might actually win it or be close.

As for the Play-In itself....
The Eastern Conference games were TRASH.
The Hornets never showed up and got blown out in the 1st Q (Pacers where playing way above average), and the Wizards choked out in the 3rd (Westbrick left the game early due to frustration).

So now the Celts get the Nets, and the Wiz get to try again against the Pacers tomorrow.

Hopefully the Western Conference games are much more competitive tonight.
Not really sure anyone cares to watch the Spurs v Grizz game.... not really sure who I expect to win.
But Steph and the Warriors better show up tonight against the Lakers. That's all anyone really cares about as this game sets the narrative for the playoffs.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: May 19, 2021, 11:11:12 PM »
This is embarrassing. I donā€™t even care if the Lakers come back. If yā€™all going to futz around for an entire half, Iā€™m going to bed. I have an early meeting in the morning.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: May 20, 2021, 12:40:59 AM »
This is embarrassing. I donā€™t even care if the Lakers come back. If yā€™all going to futz around for an entire half, Iā€™m going to bed. I have an early meeting in the morning.

Well, they did, and as a result they're going to have to go through the Suns & probably the Nuggets before they (hopefully) face the Jazz, so we're grateful for that. The Warriors just completely collapsed in the 2nd half.  Would be even nicer if the Grizzlies could find it within themselves to beat the Warriors to steal the 8th seed, especially since we still don't have confirmation on when Mitchell's coming back.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: May 20, 2021, 12:51:14 AM »
Well, they didā€¦
LOL. I couldnā€™t sleep so I caught most of the fourth quarter. This is the basketball I want to see.

I kind of feel like the Jazz should have wanted to see the Lakers earlier rather than later. Theyā€™re still getting their rhythm (e.g. that first half). Kick ā€˜em while theyā€™re weak.

Two more Jazz related comments. First and foremost, good on the team for providing 30 (THIRTY) full four year scholarships for every win preseason and regular season before the all-star break. The Jazz went on a fucking tear in the beginning of the season. Second, Iā€™m here for the Joe Ingles/Donovan Mitchell bromance. Those two are hilarious together.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: May 20, 2021, 01:10:52 AM »
Now that was a game.
I don't like how it ended, but it was competitive.

Not something I can say for the other 3 Play-In games, and don't let that Grizz-Spurs game score fool you. That **** was not a good watch.

Unfortunately, we gonna have to make a point against the Grizz again (fingers crossed), but the only reason we lost tonight is all the damn turnovers!!!! we were fighting for rebounds, making shots, everyone mostly involved. We were doing so many things right, and then we just kept turning the ball over..... momentum killer.

But on to the next one. Friday it is.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2680 on: May 20, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »
I only watched the second half, so it was mostly good for me.  That go-ahead three was incredible.

Mostly unrelated: I have a friend who is a big Drake fan, and he hasn't dropped the album he initially said would be out in January.  So it was kinda funny to see him at the game, and she got upset when I pointed this out in the group chat.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: May 20, 2021, 11:08:32 PM »
The Wizards blew out the Pacers. Sheesh. The league tripped upward into one good play in game. They need to reevaluate the structure.

Happy for Bradley Beal, seems like a really good dude. You could tell how much losing early in the season affected him. Also happy for Russell Westbrook. He doesnā€™t always play the right way (seriously, stop shooting three pointers, bruh), but he has a lot of passion. I hope Sixers vs. Wizards is a good series.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: May 21, 2021, 12:05:32 AM »
We have our finalists for the various yearly awards:

https://www.nba.com/news/finalists-announced-for-2020-21-nba-awards

MVP:

Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
Nikola Jokić, Denver Nuggets

Rookie of the Year:

LaMelo Ball, Charlotte Hornets
Anthony Edwards, Minnesota Timberwolves
Tyrese Haliburton, Sacramento Kings

Defensive Player of the Year:

Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors
Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers

Most Improved Player:

Jerami Grant, Detroit Pistons
Michael Porter Jr., Denver Nuggets
Julius Randle, New York Knicks

6th Man of the Year:

Jordan Clarkson, Utah Jazz
Joe Ingles, Utah Jazz
Derrick Rose, New York Knicks

Coach of the Year:

Quin Snyder, Utah Jazz
Tom Thibodeau, New York Knicks
Monty Williams, Phoenix Suns

A couple of surprises on here. First, I thought they'd already given Coach of the Year to Monty Williams, so I'm a little confused. I guess there's more than one Coach of the Year award.

Second, Joel Embiid is one of the finalists for MVP, but not Chris Paul? Really?

Finally, both Jordan Clarkson AND Joe Ingles in the 6th Man Conversation. Look, Joe absolutely belongs there. I'm just shocked that the NBA actually agrees and didn't only nominate Clarkson (who was widely expected to win this category).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:07:24 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: May 21, 2021, 12:10:53 AM »
The Wizards blew out the Pacers. Sheesh. The league tripped upward into one good play in game. They need to reevaluate the structure.

I feel if we really want ALL the games to count, then try out a Top 16, split into 2 brackets (Odds v Evens?) w/ the Play-In structure. Yeah, you might only have 5 teams out the East in the locked in Play-off brackets (Top 12), but that's their fault for being so bad historically as a conference.

I hope Sixers vs. Wizards is a good series.

future narrator: It wasn't
(prove me wrong)

Now we just need the Warriors to SMOKE the Grizz so bad, that Curry don't even play the 4th quarter. we coming with that PLAYOFF INTENSITY!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:12:55 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: May 21, 2021, 12:58:55 AM »

So I'm gonna take my guesses: Controversial on the 1st pick ;) :P

MVP: Curry  (Jokic close 2nd :D)

DPOY: Rudy Gobert

Sixth Man: (shot in the dark...) Clarkson

ROTY: LaMelo Ball  (close 2nd goes to Antony Edwards)

MIP: Julius Randle

COTY: Thibs? Williams?.... let's go with Wiliams.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: May 21, 2021, 02:20:32 AM »
Alright, I'll play along even though I'm šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø when it comes to awards.

Most Valuable Player: Nikola Jokic. This would be closer if not for the Nuggets continuing to win after Jamal Murray's season ending injury.

Defensive Player of the Year: Ben Simmons though I kind of want to say Draymond Green.

Sixth Man: Joe Ingles. I'm conflicted. He's better than Jordan Clarkson, but Ingles started almost half the season. Toss up between the two.

Rookie of the Year: LaMelo Ball. I haven't really been following this. My understanding is Anthony Edwards had a somewhat slow start. Also, didn't the Hornets fall off a cliff after Ball broke his wrist? I still maintain that this is the worst of these awards.

Most Improved Player: Julius Randle. Go get it, former baby Lakers. Randle helped the Knicks be competitive and even enjoyable to watch. He gets the Knicks-not-gonna-Knick-for-once bump. Randle played himself into a likely max extension. I don't know how this could be anyone else.

Coach of the Year: Monty Williams. This was close. I almost picked Tom Thibodeau for the same reason as Randle above. The Suns' turn around is a little more impressive to me.

A couple of surprises on here. First, I thought they'd already given Coach of the Year to Monty Williams, so I'm a little confused. I guess there's more than one Coach of the Year award.
The Coach's voted for Williams already. These finalists are voted by the media.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: May 21, 2021, 06:43:01 AM »
MVP: Nikola Jokić - Had the Nuggets not lost Murray, they'd be one of the Top 3 teams in the league. The fact that they still ended the season alright without him says a lot about Jokic.

Rookie of the Year: LaMelo Ball - Fairly easy pick. He was the player this year that got the media to stop worshiping Zion.

Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert - Had Gobert not lost this award to Simmons last year, I'd think Simmons would be getting it this year.

Most Improved Player: Toss-up between Michael Porter Jr and Julius Randle, with a lean towards Randle since his team's been so historically terrible.

6th Man of the Year: As Adrock pointed out, Clarkson should probably get this one because he actually stayed on the bench all season. However, on the flipside, Ingles is having a career year. I'd like to think the NBA will acknowledge that.

Coach of the Year: I think Monty Williams will win it. The Jazz have historically gotten screwed-over on Coach of the Year, despite pulling off performances similar to what the Suns did this year. Consider how Jerry Sloan never won Coach of the Year despite the records he would put in.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: May 21, 2021, 05:30:35 PM »
Itā€™s ridiculous that Jerry Sloan never won Coach of the Year. Iā€™m too lazy to check if the coaches ever acknowledged Sloan with their vote. As for Quin Snyder, this would be the year to win it. The Jazz have gotten incrementally better over the last few years so that weirdly works against him. It shouldnā€™t, but it does. He isnā€™t getting the credit he deserves for just how well coached the Jazz have been, particularly this season. The Suns have missed the playoffs for like 12 or 13 years. They didnā€™t even merely sneak into the play in games. The dramatic turnaround puts Monty Williams over.

While Rudy Gobert is a perennially excellent defender, he has an exploitable weakness (defending on the perimeter), particularly against guards with bonkers handles. The effort is there; he just doesnā€™t have the quickness/lateral moment to keep up. Iā€™m also docking points from Gobert. WTF was this, man?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: May 21, 2021, 06:30:02 PM »
Itā€™s ridiculous that Jerry Sloan never won Coach of the Year. Iā€™m too lazy to check if the coaches ever acknowledged Sloan with their vote. As for Quin Snyder, this would be the year to win it. The Jazz have gotten incrementally better over the last few years so that weirdly works against him. It shouldnā€™t, but it does. He isnā€™t getting the credit he deserves for just how well coached the Jazz have been, particularly this season. The Suns have missed the playoffs for like 12 or 13 years. They didnā€™t even merely sneak into the play in games. The dramatic turnaround puts Monty Williams over.

While Rudy Gobert is a perennially excellent defender, he has an exploitable weakness (defending on the perimeter), particularly against guards with bonkers handles. The effort is there; he just doesnā€™t have the quickness/lateral moment to keep up. Iā€™m also docking points from Gobert. WTF was this, man?

According to the below article, the NBA Coaches Association did award their Coach of the Year Award to Jerry Sloan following the 2003-2004 season. That was the year the Jazz were slated to be the worst team of the league at the start, but Sloan rallied them to almost make the playoffs with a 42-40 record. They missed the playoffs by 1 game. 9th Seed.

And eesh, that roster was not impressive, outside of AK-47 and I guess Raja Bell.

PG    Arroyo, Carlos
SG    Bell, Raja
C    Borchardt, Curtis
C    Collins, Jarron
SG    Giriček, Gordan
PF    Gugliotta, Tom
SG    Harpring, Matt
SF    Kirilenko, Andrei
PG    LĆ³pez, RaĆ¼l
PF    Moore, Mikki
C    Ostertag, Greg
SG    Pavlović, Sasha
PF    Ruffin, Michael
PG    Williams, Mo

https://nbacoaches.com/nbca-statement-on-the-passing-of-coach-jerry-sloan/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: May 21, 2021, 07:10:20 PM »

Before I even clicked that first link, I already knew it was the Gobert in a cold wash cycle by Chef Curry. Modern Classic moment. I wonder how much the NFT of that would cost šŸ¤£

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: May 21, 2021, 11:43:53 PM »
Holy shiz, fellas. Overtime!

At the end of the game, Draymond has to attack with purpose. There was no time for a pass.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: May 21, 2021, 11:53:57 PM »
Goddammit, Wiggins and Poole.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: May 21, 2021, 11:54:16 PM »
Wow, I can't believe the League let the Warriors be eliminated before the Playoffs even started. I expected a lot more "convenient" superstar calls than there actually were in the Warriors' favor down the stretch.

Well, congratulations, Grizzlies. May you be nowhere near successful as you come to Vivint Arena on Sunday to die.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: May 22, 2021, 12:02:04 AM »
1. Any team can lose one. This is exactly why I wanted the Lakers to have no part in the second play in game.

2. I get the excitement, but the prize is still a little weird. ā€œYES! Onward to the playoffs! We get to play the Jazzā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ OH NO!ā€

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: May 22, 2021, 12:04:05 AM »
1. Any team can lose one. This is exactly why I wanted the Lakers to have no part in the second play in game.

2. I get the excitement, but the prize is still a little weird. ā€œYES! Onward to the playoffs! We get to play the Jazzā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ OH NO!ā€

The Jazz on Sunday, provided Donovan Mitchell is good to go (and he claims that he is). We won all 3 of our games with them this year:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: May 22, 2021, 01:47:50 AM »
Two of the three games in the Jazz/Grizzlies season series were close. At the very least, Iā€™m hoping for a competitive and entertaining first round. I am expecting a sweep. I felt the Warriors could have pushed it to six games.

If the Jazz can get away with playing Mitchell restricted minutes, totally do that. Use these games to get into game shape because the Jazz will likely play the Clippers next, and theyā€™ll need him as close to šŸ’Æ. Ideally, the Mavericks would advance to the Conference finals on that side of the bracket (I like Lukaā€™s game), but failing that, the Jazz are a close second for me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2696 on: May 22, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »

Yeah, to claw your way up from the 9th seed to go play the 1 seed feels like a pyrrhic victory at best.  I guess playoff experience is valuable, and maybe invigorates the fan base.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: May 22, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
It wasn't supposed to turn out this way!!! we had that game against the Lakers... we should've taken the Grizz...

I guess it wasn't meant to be. We woulda got smoked by the Jazz anyway, but it might've been fun.

TBH, I only watched parts of the game as I was not in a TV filled environment. tuned in full time for the 2nd half of the 4th Qtr and OT. Grizz played hard, and Steph literally couldn't do it all by himself.
But it's all good. Next Season.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2698 on: May 22, 2021, 07:01:24 PM »
Sorry BNM.  You have lots of nice young talent in Wiggins, Oubre Jr and JTA.

If you were running the team would you flip a few young players for a star or just run it back next season?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: May 22, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »
Well, we've now had our 2nd big surprise of the Playoffs as the Mavericks stole Game 1 against the Clippers 113-103.

That's good for the Jazz. We'd much rather be playing the Mavs than the Clippers in Round 2. Plus, the Clippers organization has just been such a joke in general, historically.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:18:43 PM by broodwars »