Author Topic: Cell phone discussion  (Read 65630 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Cell phone discussion
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
It takes courage to do the thing it's been rumored we were going to do for years.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »
It took more courage last year to sell a 4K phone with 16GB of non-expandable memory.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »
Ooooh, I'm on a **** VERIZON kick right now.

Got a notice that I owed $250 this month including overdue payment(s), yet I have a confirmation statement showing a $0.00 balance after last months payment.

Long story short, I made the payment after it was explained to me that it was for this past month and the current cycle ending beginning of next month. So I thought I was paying ahead, but after being transferred to customer service, they inform me that it wasn't for this current cycle and that the guy basically lied to me to just to charge my card. Now I'm escalating this **** up to a manager because that's bullshit. And as soon as this is over I'm switching to a new carrier unless Verizon makes this right.
I'm curious. What happened with this?

(Sorry, I don't go to General Chat too often.)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »
I got a manager on the phone, they assured me that I had NO past balance due, and that my next bill is not due till October.

so the first and last cust serv reps (i had spoke to 3 of them) got me all pissed off for no reason.
Now I confirmed w/ the manager that Verizon is trying to push people that have Unlimted data off that plan, but I also threw their own website wording back at them, because they tried to take my employee discount off of my data plan as well.

Q: Does my plan or feature qualify for a discount?

A: One of the many ways we like to show our appreciation is by always making sure you get the best value. Whether you've accepted a promotional plan that is already pre-discounted, or you're able to take advantage of the discount available through your employer or organization.

General discount qualifications, unless otherwise noted, apply to plan monthly access fees of $34.99 or higher, and data features of $24.99 or higher, when added to a plan of $34.99 or higher. On plans with separate account and line fees, discounts apply only to the Account Access fees. Prepaid, already discounted, data-only and promotional plans are not eligible for discounts through this program.

and my data plan is not a "discounted" or "promotional" plan, it's a grandfathered discontinued plan, that was previously discounted with my current and previous employers.

So I'll have to update on that again later too I guess.
I really should just jump to another network. T-Mobile is giving away free **** every Tuesday.
and the only way I can get a new phone on Verizon while keeping my unlimited data is to break it and go through insurance, or buy one outright.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 02:44:28 AM »
I kinda knew the Priv would end up being a one time deal but it's still sad to see BlackBerry go despite the Priv being a truly excellent phone when a certain other fruit company gets to sell gangbusters with a phone who's biggest feature is the lack of a headphone jack.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 02:55:10 AM »
It's kind of funny how the lack of a headphone jack is universally disliked but they're still going to have 20 times the market share as BlackBerry would if they were giving theirs away for free.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
My decision to invest in a wireless charger has nothing to do with me being sick of having to deal with the hassle of cleaning a Micro USB port.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 07:24:50 PM »
My decision to invest in a wireless charger has nothing to do with me being sick of having to deal with the hassle of cleaning a Micro USB port.
No.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:05 AM »

My wireless charger finally showed up in the mail. It was definitely more than worth the wait. I like how Samsung just couldn't be bothered to make sure the cable and wall adapter included with the charger are the same color as the charger itself.

No.
Man I worded that poorly. The port itself just wound up getting incredibly touchy to the point where when I plugged my phone in before I went to bed I had to make sure that my phone was actually receiving enough power that it would be fully charged by the morning. Maybe the port got damaged due to some sort of carelessness on my part, (I was probably being a bit rough when I was plugging my phone in considering that from what I've read now Micro USB ports can be rather delicate compared to say the Lightning ports Apple uses.

It also probably doesn't help that the BlackBerry Priv's micro-usb port can be a massive dust/lint magnet so I had to clean it out very frequently.

And to be clear, I was using the charger that came with my phone and my old Phillips dock/speaker thing (which is a Phillips as141) and the charger from my Galaxy Note 8.0.)

The whole thing was just getting incredibly frustrating and I'm happy to be done with it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:49:05 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
So apparently there's a way to force the Priv to display stuff at a lower resolution instead of displaying everything at qHD for no practical reason and thus improve it's performance and battery life. I'm probably going to change it's resolution from 2560x1440 @ 560ppi to 720x1280 at 280ppi (which equates to 720p.)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »
How noticeable will the difference be?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »
Picked up a Moto Z2 Force on Black Friday. Half price ($378) plus I got the Insta-share Projector mod for half price ($150). Awesome phone definitely the most underrated Android flagship. No water resistance, but it's shatterproof and the mods (a bunch at least) are awesome. Very happy with my purchase.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
How does the projector look?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
It needs to be pretty dark for the best picture, but it looks pretty fantastic. I mean I wouldn't make it my main TV or anything, but definitely worth the money. We used it to watch the Seahawks/49ers game last night at my brother's house on his front patio.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2020, 02:24:59 AM »
Bump! I'm curious about what everyone is rocking for a cell phone in 2020. I've been rocking the Fxtec Pro1 for about 2 months now. It's been an absolute joy to use.

It's solidly specced, has an incredible battery, and an incredible physical keyboard. I'm definitely a fan.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2020, 02:39:42 AM »
I finally got a new smart phone about 3 months ago in January. I have a Motorola Moto G7 Play.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2020, 02:53:31 AM »
I've got an iPhone X. A little out of date, but a hardware exploit means it's permanently jailbreakable, which is nice. I'll likely be picking up one of the new models in the fall.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 04:58:54 AM »
I finally got a new smart phone about 3 months ago in January. I have a Motorola Moto G7 Play.

That's the same phone I have. The screen scratches if you look at it wrong. I got a screen protector and it's even worse.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2020, 07:40:19 AM »
I run a Galaxy Note 9 currently. Due to upgrade around Black Friday, though I wonder what my options are that involve not having courage (having a standard headphone jack). I'm so paranoid I bought an honest-to-Naga MP3 player.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
I've never owned a smartphone, because the cost (in Canada) has never justified the value for me.
However, I might be in a position where it needs to happen soon.

Any recommendations about what to get, or what to avoid?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
I have bought a new phone since the Galaxy S3
over the years, phone insurance has continually had to upgrade me.

I am currently on a GS7, but I am about ready to purchase a GS10 or GS11 depending on cost.
my main issue is that I have to buy the phone outright outside of my carrier otherwise they cancel my unlimited date plan.

I have no idea how they will price the 5G plans, but I'd like to get a 5G phone, and my existing unlimited plan from 2006, even though it's gone waaay up in cost, doesn't throttle after a certain data cap nor does it discriminate on which G of internet I have like the existing plans... if I read the old vs new agreements correctly.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2020, 12:53:50 PM »
I've never owned a smartphone, because the cost (in Canada) has never justified the value for me.
However, I might be in a position where it needs to happen soon.

Any recommendations about what to get, or what to avoid?

What features are you looking for in a phone and what are less important to you?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2020, 01:35:08 PM »
I think he still uses his phone to "talk" to people. Ewww

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2020, 01:57:30 PM »
If you want features that matter I'd go with the Fxtec Pro1. It sort of straddles the line between being a high end flagship phone with it's obscene 128gb storage + an SD card slot and excellent camera setup (although you have to download a different camera app like open camera or a sideloaded version of Google's special camera app for Pixel phones because the default camera app suuuuucks) and being a midrange phone with it's long battery life and features like a headphone jack that are often missing in higher end devices.

It loses wireless charging which is unfortunate but it gains other things like a really nice set of side firing speakers and a keyboard mechanism that props the screen up at a nice angle for watching video. It also of course has that really nice keyboard which also solves the main issue with android's multitasking integration, which is the touch screen keyboard getting in the way and eating up precious screen real estate.

All of this for only half the price of the latest Samsung phones.

I definitely recommend that most people these days go with midrange phones because they offer stronger battery life while still being more than capable of getting you through the day performance wise. 5G is not worth the hassle atm. If the phone you're looking at already has 5g than that's a plus but 5G is still years away from being mainstream and adds a significant amount of cost to an already pricey phone.