Author Topic: 28 Days Later - Review  (Read 2643 times)

Offline BrianSLA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
28 Days Later - Review
« on: June 28, 2003, 01:06:46 PM »
1-10 score:solid 8.
I saw it yesterday and it is a good solid scary movie. Is it better than Dawn of the Dead? No. But it is scarier than Dawn of the Dead. The story of 28 Days Later is that animal rights activists break into a London research lab and release chimps infected with " rage ". The first chimp immediately attacks his liberator and within seconds she becomes infected...... giant streams of blood gush out of her mouth and infect others. 28 Days Later England is a wasteland. Unlike George Romero's Dawn of the Dead slow moving zombies...... Danny Boyle's ' infected ' zombies run at you in a rage. They pop out in an instant and attack in a fury. And the infected can infect with one single drop of blood in your mouth, your eye or an open cut. Anyway I've seen most of the reviews of 28 Days Later and have to agree that it does lose some steam in the second half. The first half is perfect but the second half does some steam. It is still an awesome scary movie and belongs among the best of the zombie movies.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 02:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the review; I was considering seeing this.  I think I will now.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 11:30:05 PM »
Its a good movie... today Ebert & Roper gave it two thumbs up and once again a reviewer ( Ebert ) mentioned that the second half isn't as perfect/great as the first half but they both highly recommended it.  Funny thing is if you live in England or have a regionally code free DVD player..... you can watch it on DVD. It was released in region 2 in May. Great movie.  

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 05:25:33 AM »
Technically it's not a zombie movie. The infected never died, and zombies are undead. They're just very similar to zombies.

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 10:35:36 PM »
technically yeah but it is basically a zombie genre movie.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 11:00:19 PM »
ahahah i had this same argument with someone today....for all intensive purposes  they are zombies..i mean this movie has near the same plot as resident evil games...we call those things zombies...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=zombie

ill go for definition number 4. Also they are essentially daed..as a human being at least. An essay about zombies

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f00/web2/rowlett2.html

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 06:29:21 AM »
A zombie is reanimated. The human has to die first, and then be brought back from the dead. That's the whole essence of being "undead." The infected never died. They were humans, got infected, and then were "monsters." They didn't die, so they can't undie so therefore they're NOT zombies. They're just infected people who happen to look and act like zombies.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: 28 Days Later - Review
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 04:57:03 AM »
I just saw this movie, so I will now participate in this thread.  

The first half of the movie reminded me VERY much of Silent Hill.  The music, the scenario, the atmosphere... it was all the surreal landscape I have come to expect from Silent Hill.  The only thing missing was the thick mist.  I had a quote from Silent Hill 2 running through my head when I was watching it.

They are attracted to light and sound.  You are probably better off sitting quiet and alone in the dark, but even that probably won't save you.

Regarding the movie's story:
When they left London, things went straight downhill.  The whole intermission was just boring.  When they arrived at the blockade in Manchester though, in spite of some plot details that really didn't sit with me well, it became interesting again.  When the zombies were attacking the mansion, and there was fighting between the survivors and the soldiers, it became very much a Resident Evil scenario.

Regarding the movie's plot details:
Soldiers fight to protect their country, and live for the battle.  I found it was simply way too contrived to portray the soldiers in this light.  Soldiers should be fighting first and foremost to protect their country and remove the plague.  In this case, they had a pretty solid plan going.  Wait until the infected starve to death, then rebuild.  They knew there were other survivors, and they knew they could hold their own until after the plague.  So why bother raping the women and children?  They had a future to fight for.  It just seems to me that when a movie needs a bad guy, the military always takes the spot, and that just strikes me as wrong.

Aside from plot details that bothered me, and the boring "intermission", I really liked the movie.  It was almost like a tribute to two of my favorite games (Resident Evil and Silent Hill), and I just loved that.  The ending really sucked though.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean