Author Topic: Super Mario 3D World Thread.  (Read 34938 times)

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Super Mario 3D World Thread.
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:22:19 AM »
For those who are having trouble getting the stream, Super Mario 3D World announced.
It's like 3D Land for the 3DS but a bit bigger and fancier with you being able to control 5 characters ala New Super Mario Bros. Wii. In addition to Mario, Luigi and the two toads, the fifth person is Peach. Also the big powerup shown for that game is Cat Mario allowing you climb walls and even the flagpoles at the end .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:56:29 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D World
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
I have to say, the game looked fun but I was expecting so much more from this game.  I was expecting a massive world and a huge update in the graphics based off the Galaxy engine.  smh. 

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »
This was the biggest videogame-related letdown for me in years.  I was hoping for the next "true" Mario sequel.  This game looks like a good thing to pass time with on a handheld or play with a mixed group, but not a full 3D Mario adventure that the developers put their hearts into.  Ah, well.  I can only hope that the big Mario games haven't been abandoned completely.

I guess I will wait until 2014 to get the system.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
It smacks of a rush job. I was hoping that with the new Gamepad controller having two analog sticks, we could see a return to Sunshine level controls where you can operate and move the camera as needed. Watching that E3 2002 video that was posted last night by staff really helped show just how advanced Sunshine was and still is to so many 3D platformers. The amount of moves and control in that game is phenominal. Going by the previous track record of the Galaxy 1 and 2 and 3D Land game, I expect the camera to be left out of the players control again.

At the same time, we've only been shown a minute amount of gameplay footage from the actual game, so who knows how big and long the levels are but it is disappointing that they are keeping the 3D games so linear. I blame everyone that ever critized Sunshine and only praised the special "classic" levels without the waterpack. It sent the wrong message.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Yeah, this is a bit depressing. Was really hoping they'd shift gears again and make turbo Sunshine.

I wish I could speak to the God of video games and explain to him that I don't give a **** about co-op in anything, so please make it go away.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
OK, I actually this looks pretty amazing and fun.  My biggest question, though, is whether Luigi/Peach will be playable in single-player mode.  If this is like NSMB and only Mario is available for single-player...
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
I'm disappoint.

It feels like a New Super Mario Bros game. It has all the looks of a paint-by-numbers 3D Mario game with a gimmick cat mechanic thrown in.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »
I've always wanted a sequel to Super Mario Bros 2. This isn't it... but having four different playable characters (and presumably having the game balanced to make their differences interesting and meaningful) is a huge win in my opinion.  Not ground-breaking, but still a very cool announcement for me!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
I need peach to be playable in single player mode.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
Nobody should be surprised by this.  3D Land has currently sold over 8 million copies and is on track to being the best selling 3D Mario when it's all said and done.  There was always a high chance this was going to be a sequel since you know, Nintendo wants to actually sell Wii U's and a sequel to 3D Land is a good way to do it.

I'm all for it.  Galaxy 2 took what Galaxy 1 started and improved on it in every way possible.  If this game is going to improve on everything 3D Land started, then it'll be amazing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
It seems like a step DOWN from Super Mario Galaxy and I don't buy new videogame systems to go backwards.  Now it might be Super Mario 3D Land's status as a handheld title that makes this seem more minor than it really is.  Typically the consoles set the template, not the handhelds.

This just seems too conventional and too safe and that is NOT how 3D Mario rolls.  The 3D Mario series was the cutting edge of 3D platformers, setting the new standards that the rest of the genre would follow.

Luigi Dude mentions that no one should be surprised by this.  I'm not, but I'm still disappointed.  I'm just not interested in safe cookie-cutter EA-esque Nintendo.  I didn't become a Nintendo fan for this.  And I'll argue that this won't do dick for sales because the Wii U isn't offering anything new.  So it's the same old **** but now with graphics that were cutting edge in 2006?  I don't see a market for that.  NSMB U hasn't moved Wii Us so I don't see how other generic cookie-cutter Nintendo sequels will.  NSMB has been the ultimate cash cow for Nintendo and on the Wii U nobody gives a ****.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
I love the hell out of Tokyo EAD's last three Mario games, 3D Land included, but I agree with Ian's general sentiment. I expect more from this team. New console 3D Mario games are typically huge, sometimes revolutionary events and this just makes me yawn. I'm sure it will be an excellent game, but it isn't making me want to go throw down $350 for a Wii U.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »
I'm totally going to ban everyone who isn't excited about this game. I'm calling it right now: Game of the Year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
Well, I guess on the positive side, 3D Land was pretty much the only game I really wanted on the 3DS, and now I can probably just take 3D world as an enhanced replacement for that experience.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »
Let's see. We've had Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. Animal Crossing just came out. There's Pokemon X and Y. Phoenix Wright is returning. Link to the Past 2 and Yoshi's Island are also returning at the end of this year. Batman:Arkham Origins is a followup to a highly successful game and looks mighty good. Mario Kart 8 looks like it could be the most impressive since Mario Kart DS. Donkey Kong Country for all the mixed reaction will be a very solid platformer I'm sure.

So yes, I will take you up on your prediction and say that something else takes the Game of the Year from 3D World this year. I find all that software I just listed more compelling from what I've seen so far. Maybe it doesn't help that I'm currently playing 3D Land for the first time right now so I'm getting my fill of it but based on my experience with that game so far, my prediction right now is Mario Kart 8 taking home the Game of the Year honors aided by a better multiplayer experience with Link to the Past 2 a dark horse that could possibly take the crown.

Nothing like judging games before we've played them!

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »
Every one of those games is terrible compared to this one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
Well, they didn't show much of the game yet, so I'm willing to give it a chance. What we saw all looked like just the first world, so who knows what all the others look like.

my prediction right now is Mario Kart 8 taking home the Game of the Year honors
Mario Kart 8 is a 2014 game.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
my prediction right now is Mario Kart 8 taking home the Game of the Year honors
Mario Kart 8 is a 2014 game.

Figures.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land walks all over the Galaxy games. It's not even close. The only thing that could make 3D World better is if Nintendo added online multiplayer, which they won't, but a girl can dream.

EDIT: My mistake. Let me play as Daisy. I don't care if I have to beat the game three times. I'll do it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
I'm disappoint.

It feels like a New Super Mario Bros game. It has all the looks of a paint-by-numbers 3D Mario game with a gimmick cat mechanic thrown in.

Exactly! I think Nintendo senses the New Super Mario Bros has outstayed its welcome, so now it is bringing in the 3D version to do semi-yearly.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »
The difference is that the Super Mario 3D series is made from a mixture of miracles and the laughter of angels so Nintendo can release as many of them as they want and the games will not get old.

Ever.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land walks all over the Galaxy games. It's not even close. The only thing that could make 3D World better is if Nintendo added online multiplayer, which they won't, but a girl can dream.

EDIT: My mistake. Let me play as Daisy. I don't care if I have to beat the game three times. I'll do it.
I'd love to play as Daisy and/or Walugi in a game. Those are my top two Mario Kart/Party/sports characters.

I've yet to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 so my current stance could change. But I finally got all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy last month and I agree that 3D Land is far superior. The more I keep seeing people praise that game, the more and more I keep getting the urge to unleash a massive wall of text pointing out the amount of flaws, derivativeness and sparseness.

That said, while I am still playing 3D Land currently and going through the special worlds, I still don't think it is close to Mario Sunshine or even Mario 64. For me, Sunshine still reigns supreme as the pinnacle of 3D Mario and even that game isn't perfect.

I just suddenly thought about Sunshine in HD graphics. That thing would probably look super amazing for a Mario game and you could probably tell the difference more than the fantasy abstract lands of this 3D World game.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:03:05 PM by Khushrenada »

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that any EAD Tokyo game is anything less than immaculate until and unless that ever actually happens.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 02:41:17 AM »
I didn't really like Super Mario 3D Land because it felt so simple and easy. So when I saw the trailer I was feeling a bit meh.

But on the other hand, I didn't like the original NSMB for the same reasons and when I first saw NSMBWii I felt meh also, but when I finally tried it, it was one of the best experiences ever. So I'll keep my eye on this game; I think that they've gotten the basic formula perfected in SM3DL (but played it too safe with the level design) and can focus on some really great levels in this game as a result.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »
Just like everyone i was disappointed on yet another safe decision from Nintendo, but man, i LOVED 3D Land, and getting more of the same plus glorious four player co-op?
It's not the orgasm of senses that Galaxy games were but this is going to be an amazing game, no question about it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks