Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 368415 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Come on back, Neal.

"@AdamSchefter
As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend. "

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Since the play took place in the end zone, the simultaneous catch WAS reviewable. Seems the current bullshit story is there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it. The whole process of it was totally ridiculous. The refs are supposed to confer with the head ref until they reach a conclusion, but that never happened.

But, hopefully this will start to behind us because the real refs should return by, at the latest, Week 5.

Though if the Packers miss out on something by a game.....

Why would it make a difference if it's in the end zone or not? So many of the review rules seem arbitrary for the sake of being arbitrary...

I agree on the arbitrariness, but that's what the rules say.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
If it's in the end zone, it's a scoring play and the rule is all scoring plays are reviewable.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
That's not what we're saying, though.

In the NFL, some plays/aspects of plays aren't reviewable.

Examples:

The blatant pass interference on that play (Seahwks Tate pushing Packers Shields down) isn't reviewable on replay.
A ball that goes over the uprights isn't reviewable either (explains the Pats/Ravens debacle)

If that play was not in the end zone and say, a coach challenged it, the simultaneous catch could not be reviewed. It's weird and arcane, but them's the rules.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The NFL's rules for what is or isn't reviewable are pretty inconsistent.  I can see not allowing reviews for judgment calls like most penalities.  You can't really review pass interference or holding.  Those rely too much on the ref's discretion.  It isn't black and while like spotting the ball or a fumble or if something is in bounds or in the end zone, etc.  But a simultaneous catch does not rely on the ref's discretion that much.  They'll review if a receiver caught a ball and this is no different - did both guys actually catch the ball or did one guy just put his hands on after the other guy caught it?

Though since coaches only have two challenges does it matter if we make EVERY call reviewable?  It isn't like the coaches will abuse the system.  They can't!  They have a limited amount of challenges.  So if they want to waste their challenge on whether holding occured or not the ref can watch the replay and say "yep, seeing the replay I still consider it holding.  You lose a timeout."

Reading more into the rules, if this occured with the normal refs would we be mad at the league instead for having a dumb rule like we did when Calvin Johnson had a touchdown taken away on a really stupid rule?  What is more offensive?  That the refs made the wrong initial call or that the review system apparently prohibits them from overturning it?

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Good points all around, ian. And to answer your question, this would be less likely to occur with regular refs, but if it did we'd probably be pissed off at both. I'm guessing the replacement refs are some of the happiest folks that the regular refs are returning...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I don't know, the replacements are probably making more money now than they ever did and it's unlikely they will ever get hired by the NFL.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
And how much of that are they going to have to spend on personal security? :P

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I do wonder why the NFL hired a referee that even the Lingerie Football League fired for being incompetent (though he only reffed the Hall of Fame game).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
I'm surprised to see that so many folks are picking the Panthers over the Seahawks. What am I missing?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I don't think either team's that good, but Carolina has Cam Newton, who can be a game changer. I picked Seattle (well, Seattle plus 3 1/2) in the NWR pool, though.

The question I have is will the Browns be able to continue their streak? In all of the last four seasons, they've beaten the defending Super Bowl champion, going back to their surprise beatdown of the Giants on Monday Night Football in 2008. They play the Giants this Sunday, and their defense has been solid (although still missing Joe Haden one more game) and Weeden and Richardson are starting to click, so we'll see how it goes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Hmm. I really doubt it, based on what I've seen of both teams so far, but then I haven't found the Giants super-impressive. I voted for the Giants and I feel quite comfortable about it, but then I didn't know about that stat until just now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
From Elias: Greg Zuerlein's 53-yard FG gives him 4 FG of 50+ yards, tying the NFL record for most 50-yard FG by a rookie.

After just 5 games. Greg Zuerlein is bad ass.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
He also broke the Rams team record for longest field goal (60 yards), the longest field goal at Soldier Field (56 yards), first NFL players to have a 50+ and 60+ yard field goal in the same game, and tied the record for longest first quarter field goal (58 yards). VERY impressive.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Back in the Tennessee Oilers/Early Titans day.  Del Greco and then his predecessor made it so that Tennessee always scored once they were in Field goal range.  Great kickers can be a real boom.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If you told me a year ago that I'd be very upset by the fact that Mohammad Massaquoi would be missing a game, I'd have laughed at you. Turns out he's a pretty good receiver when he has a quarterback who can actually throw effectively. If he can get healthy again and Greg Little stops coating his hands in Vaseline before games, we've got a pretty decent receiving corps.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
What did I tell you people? The Browns are unstoppable against defending Super Bowl champions.

EDIT: Okay, maybe "unstoppable" was too strong a word.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:17:26 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The lesson, as always; God hates Cleveland.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Anybody using NBC's website to watch the games? It's awesome. You can switch between cameras, watch different angles at the same time and best of all, stay at the game during commercial breaks and timeouts.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:41:24 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anybody using NBC's website to watch the games? It's awesome. You can switch between cameras, watch different angles at the same time and best of all, stay at the game during commercial breaks and timeouts.
I didn't know you could.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
The last 5 minutes of the NO/SD game last night was nothing short of the refs handing the game to NO.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
The last 5 minutes of the NO/SD game last night was nothing short of the refs handing the game to NO.

"Saints can't go 0-5 again. We've already filmed the commercials!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
BROWNS WIN!!!!! 11-5, Super Bowl here we come!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
* Shaymin goes to check his picks

... I hate football sometimes.
Tutorial box out.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
This "spread" thing is the worst idea ever!

On an unrelated note, I believe we all thought the entire AFC East would be 3-3 this time of the year, right?