Poll

What will be the next movie in the rotation?

The Craft
Stitches
The Babadook
Zombeaver
Spawn
Yoga Hosers
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
The Punisher (2004)
Sharknado
Sausage Party

Author Topic: MYSTERY FUNHOUSE THEATER!!! *31 Days* Halloween Movie Marathon! *31 Movies*  (Read 323357 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: MYSTERY FUNHOUSE THEATER!!! Now Playing: Starship Troopers
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2010, 05:22:53 AM »
Sorry, I guess it's hard to watch a movie and run back to my computer to post. Makes me wish I had a laptop again.

Also, apparently you can't stream this on Netflix so I don't have the film yet.

Plus I tend to feed off of friends for making jokes during a movie and not having other people with me makes it a tad hard to get the ball rolling for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2010, 05:30:08 AM »
Are you having computer issues too?

it's streaming on Hulu and Crackle so if you do have a computer, that shouldn't be the issue.
both links are in the OP if you need them.

On crackle you don't need to be logged in to watch, so I would start there.
http://www.crackle.com/c/Starship_Troopers

As far as getting yourself rolling, invite a friend over, read some comments already made, just try to be overly critical and nit pick details or imagine what one of your friends would say(that's funny), then post here.

but I gotta pause my viewing and finish it tomorrow(I'm at the 50min mark), it's late and this computer is being way too choppy to watch this movie continuously, so I'll finish it from my house on my computer sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:32:45 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2010, 06:23:17 AM »
im lucky i had bought it before it was suggested, i had been having a craving to watch it since I saw District 9 in theaters. I had had even stronger cravings of watching it when i did buy it because I was playing through StarCraft again.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
I was always humored by the similarities between the Terran Brood Wars campaign and Starship Troopers. The whole propaganda movie setup was well done in both I think.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
I really want to know what it takes to get Broodwars, The Unagi, Halbred, Easycure, Stratos and anyone else that was interested in participating to participate. Seriously, let me know.

I'm gonna suggest that one of them have to start off the next movie (Labyrinth) before Zap, The Perm or myself get into it.

Now I'm about to load up Starship Bloopers and see what I can make out of this movie.

Sorry, I've been busy having my soul devoured by Resonance of Fate, probably my most hated JRPG of this generation.  I tried multi-tasking watching various movies and TV shows while I did so, but found that I wasn't really paying attention to movies I hadn't seen before (like Predator) so I stopped until I could give them full attention.  But now that it has been vanquished, I can turn my attention to that movie.  In fact...

*opens the file and starts watching*
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:25:57 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »
Well, I'm roughly about halfway through the movie (which is about as far as I dare watch tonight considering I have to get up again in about 3-4 hours for Work), and so far I'm enjoying the movie a lot more than I remembered liking it back when I first saw it.  Just a couple thoughts for the moment:

1.  Yeah, I agree with some of the sentiments above: these actors are way too old to be playing high school students.  If they really wanted to use these actors, they should have tweaked the story to make them college students.  It's not like the story would have changed much.

2.  Denise Richards is about as convincing playing a Maverick-style pilot as she was playing a nuclear physicist in The World is Not Enough.  That is to say, she's not the least bit convincing.  With that stupid grin always plastered on her face she looks like she's trying out to be a Mouseketeer or sell toothpaste or something.  When she's at the controls, she looks like a 10 year-old child getting into a bumper car.

3.  There's both a lot more graphic violence and nudity than I remembered in this movie.

4.  The editing's really choppy, with a lot of abrupt cuts between scenes.  Considering those "internet ad"-style transitions work really well, I'm surprised they didn't use them more than they have so far.

5.  Wow, I was pleasantly surprised to see both Clancy Brown and Michael Ironside in this movie.  It's not every day that Darkseid and Lex Luthor get to be on the same side.   ;)

6.  The visuals have both held up a lot better and a lot worse than I expected (I'm watching the Blu-Ray version, btw).  The bugs in general look great and it's really nostalgic seeing actual model ships flying through space instead of CG models, but there's also a lot of unconvincing compositing and some of the props look really fake (like Michael Ironside's amputated arm).

7.  Ok, seriously, what is with the double-standard on that incident with the asteroid and Richards' ship?  Apparently, a teammate accidentally killing a guy who couldn't keep his helmet on straight was bad enough to narrowly come close to dishonorable discharge for Rico.  Meanwhile, because Richards and her new boy-toy were too busy flirting on the bridge instead of doing their jobs and keeping watch, they somehow missed that giant asteroid headed right for them until it was nearly on top of them.  Because of this, not only does a sizeable portion of the ship get ripped off (killing who knows how many people), but millions of people die back on Earth when the asteroid collides and it starts a War.  All this because Richards is a slut, and what does the captain do?  She praises her piloting ability.  Are you kidding me?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2010, 03:59:01 AM »
hehehe, that is a gross double standard, her ass should be whipped

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
Points 1, 3, 6, & 7

I think I had the same ones, especially 7 though (even though I stopped watching before they confirmed that the asteroid hit earth). But WTF @ that horrible double standard.

I still got about 1:20 to go before I'm done.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
It's different branches of the military. Perhaps the army likes whipping 30-year-old high school graduates for training mistakes and the navy overlooks those things.

Though also note that neither Richards nor her wannabe lover actually tell the commander they were messing around when the asteroid hit. So it looks like a narrowly avoided 'surprise attack' instead of a gross negligence of duty.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »
in the future genetic drift has caused Teenagers to look much older then their counterparts from centuries ago

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Or maybe that was a drop out redemption school and everyone there was actually going to get their GED.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
Or maybe that was a drop out redemption school and everyone there was actually going to get their GED.

Considering Rico's father was quite adamant about him moving on to Harvard right out of school rather than enroll in the military, I'd say that's unlikely.  That is, of course, unless Harvard's entry qualifications have changed drastically in this universe.   ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
It's different branches of the military. Perhaps the army likes whipping 30-year-old high school graduates for training mistakes and the navy overlooks those things.

Though also note that neither Richards nor her wannabe lover actually tell the commander they were messing around when the asteroid hit. So it looks like a narrowly avoided 'surprise attack' instead of a gross negligence of duty.

But you're forgetting the part where Denise Richards(rookie pilot) changed the flight plan without authorization from a higher up which resulted in a collision with an asteroid and the death of possibly 100's on board.

vs the death of one soldier caused by an accident during a training mission.

One person was permanently scarred while the other was praised and possibly promoted.

10 years later and with eligibility to get into Harvard.... I think not.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
money plays a part in getting people into ivy league schools, maybe high schools are better in the future and theres a lot less social bullshit people have to go through. 99% of valedictorians just kiss their teachers asses or are tied to some sort of political pull by their parent who is also a teacher at the school, not to mention bribes for good grades.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2010, 06:29:26 PM »
But you're forgetting the part where Denise Richards(rookie pilot) changed the flight plan without authorization from a higher up which resulted in a collision with an asteroid and the death of possibly 100's on board.

One person was permanently scarred while the other was praised and possibly promoted.

Srsly it must've been some magic helmets to block machine gun fire at point   blank range in the face.

Am I supposed to be sad at the rookie dying but laugh at   the drill sergeant that throws a knife through a guy's hand? WTF
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »

Srsly it must've been some magic helmets to block machine gun fire at point   blank range in the face.

Yeah, that bugged me as well: helmets aren't typically designed to actually protect the user from gunfire.  They'd be too heavy to wear effectively if they did.  They're intended to protect the wearer from shrapnel or indirect hits at best.  His helmet wouldn't have protected him from a point-blank direct hit from a machine gun even if he was wearing it and even if it did fit him.  Speaking of which, how incompetent is that army if they couldn't manage to get the guy a helmet that actually fit, because as we saw the helmet was a safety hazard to himself and others since he couldn't see properly wearing it?  I can understand the reprimand on Rico for ignoring Clancy Brown's orders to observe strict safety protocols, but not to the extreme they took it considering all the mitigating circumstances. 

Meanwhile, while the army's cracking down on Rico that captain can't even be bothered to ask Richards why they didn't spot the asteroid until it was close enough to actually exert gravitation force upon them.  Space is a vast place, and from what we've seen there's no reason to believe the asteroid has a frickin' warp drive so their instruments at the very least should have been able to detect it with enough time to better evade it and prevent damage to the ship.  If I were Captain, my first question would be to pull the two of them into my Office and ask them just what the hell happened, but apparently she couldn't be bothered (or she just didn't care).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:43:16 PM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »
btw, I mean to mention this earlier, but when did Guille from Street Fighter apparently join the Earth Federation as a mobile infantryman?   :P:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
Why were they using live ammo in a training exercise? If you ask me that training course is just accidents waiting to happen. Notice he got shot through the eye, which isn't covered by the helmet. If anything Rico is a scapegoat so the drill instructors don't get in trouble.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:31:00 PM by ThePerm »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
Yes, those are both tanks for people. Very good Perm!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2010, 08:06:33 PM »
i can't find a good wolverine screen

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »

best i could find on the free & legal net.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2010, 08:24:34 PM »
i can't find a good wolverine screen

obviously you used the word best indicating the same thing i am

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »
I fear for the future

since I think it's obvious the "real" reason the transmission was terminated.
They even started using their old logo again in the future. I guess Retro is back in 500 years from 15 years ago.

edit: 5:35

So this movie takes place in 2537 or something like that right?
Did we never get the Starwars program back up and running? Planetary defense lasers set up on the moon? Mars or anywhere else in the Milky Way?

How far away from Earth is that military establishment?

edit: 5:55

1 hour in and finally some Bug Action. But someone should have shown the Mobile Infantry the Doogie "How To Kill A Bug in 3 shots" video. They might have prevented alot of unnecessary casualties.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:58:13 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
1 hour in and finally some Bug Action. But someone should have shown the Mobile Infantry the Doogie "How To Kill A Bug in 3 shots" video. They might have prevented alot of unnecessary casualties.

Yeah, I'm watching the second half of the movie now, and you really have to wonder why they didn't equip their infantry with just about anything with more stopping power than machine guns.  Considering this society apparently dissects the Bugs in high school, you'd think they'd know already how ineffective their projectile weapons are against the Bug carapace.  Their RPG and nuclear weapons certainly seem to be effective enough to warrant them using them more often.  Hell, for that matter why are they even using ground troops for this?  They have no interest in colonizing the Bug planets and they have nuclear weapons and questionable air superiority: just bomb the **** out of them, using a contingent of mobile infantry or low-atmosphere aerial craft to take out the anti-air Bugs!

Man, this is sounding like a StarCraft campaign.   :P: : :   I see the enemy is very fond of the Zergling rush.  I could definitely do without the constant Bug "blood sprays", as the stuff looks like it has the consistency of Nickelodeon slime and just looks silly.

Man, Michael Ironside can really chew the scenery.  This movie does make me want to poke around the internet and possibly find a good deal on the Roughnecks TV series, though I'd like to wait for the series to maybe one day hit Blu-Ray since animation really shines in that format with the higher color saturation.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:36:50 PM by broodwars »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2010, 09:52:18 PM »
the roughneck series is on hulu i think