Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537703 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6450 on: May 24, 2021, 02:33:52 PM »
I remember thinking Time Bandits was a fun movie when I watched it as a child, but hated the ending which killed my opinion of it afterwards. I'd give it another chance now if it is on a streaming service I pay for.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: May 25, 2021, 02:42:36 AM »
I think I watched it on HBO Max
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: May 29, 2021, 11:50:07 PM »
Army of the Dead

Not great.

I need to admit to myself that I simply don’t like Zack Snyder as a filmmaker because I’m also 45 minutes into Zack Snyder’s Justice League, and yikes.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: June 02, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »
Honestly, its kind of pessimistic of me to think this, but a lot of the positive vibes from Army of the Dead AND the Snyder cut of JL feel like a bit of a counter push because people are bothered by Joss Whedon's behaviors and the general decline of the DCEU and so it feels like people are pushing to like Snyders new stuff. Its similar to the phenomenon of jaded Star Wars fans hating on Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams stuff like Knives Out as a way to 'balance out' the directors' sub-par (or arguably sub-par) work on Star Wars.

Am I wrong to think this? Just feels like an extension of the wars we see playout online where one person does a wrong (perceived or otherwise) and the two sides duke it out by promoting or denouncing anything related to the people at the center of the controversy as a way to 'make things right'. We also see this in the Depp-Head controversy where because Depp lost his Pirates and Fantastic Beasts roles people are trying to make both of them either into a monster or a saint when in truth both are obviously flawed individuals.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: June 02, 2021, 11:44:24 PM »
I liked the Snyder Cut, but Army of the Dead was really meh.

I like some zombie movies, but not very many zombie movies are good. The last good piece of Zombie fiction was season one of The Walking Dead, and it was still not as good as the comic. I'd rank Army of the Dead somewhere between Zombieland 2 and Night of the Living Dead 3d(2006). So pretty mediocre.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: June 05, 2021, 02:07:26 AM »
Barry Lyndon 9/10 - A masterpiece.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: June 07, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »
Zack Snyder’s Justice League

It’s better than Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice if that holds any weight. Unfortunately, Justice League never overcomes one of the main problems with its predecessor: most of it remains unearned.

Justice League is full of nonsense. For example, terrorists have no demands and simply want to blow up a building and the hostages yet put a timer on their bomb. Wonder Woman uses her bracelet clash when she’s fast enough to disarm the shooter. The scene where that town woman sing after Aquaman jumps into the water was hilarious even though it clearly wasn’t mean to.

I don’t want to write a long post as no one reads those, and it’s largely unnecessary anyway. Justice League suffers from the same problems as Snyder’s previous DCEU movies from lacking a basic understanding of the characters to the ridiculous use of Instagram filters.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: June 08, 2021, 04:49:43 AM »
Zack Snyder’s Justice League

It’s better than Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice if that holds any weight. Unfortunately, Justice League never overcomes one of the main problems with its predecessor: most of it remains unearned.

Justice League is full of nonsense. For example, terrorists have no demands and simply want to blow up a building and the hostages yet put a timer on their bomb. Wonder Woman uses her bracelet clash when she’s fast enough to disarm the shooter. The scene where that town woman sing after Aquaman jumps into the water was hilarious even though it clearly wasn’t mean to.

I don’t want to write a long post as no one reads those, and it’s largely unnecessary anyway. Justice League suffers from the same problems as Snyder’s previous DCEU movies from lacking a basic understanding of the characters to the ridiculous use of Instagram filters.

short but sweet (talking about your review, not the movie). Better than the theatrical version, but still not a good movie.
lots of setup for something that barely makes more sense than the previous version with extra characters thrown in as easter egg teasers for a sequel that ain't gonna happen.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: June 20, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - I'm still mad at the first movie for having such an amazing trailer and such an average movie..... this one continues that trend somewhat.

Selma Hayek was great, however, and was worth all the extra attention. You could tell she was completely up for the nonsense.

https://youtu.be/F4Afusxc2SM this is still just great.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: June 23, 2021, 07:15:10 AM »
Rachel Gets Strange 6/10 this was an interesting low budget film that takes place in my home college town.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: July 09, 2021, 07:18:41 AM »
Fear Street Vol 1 & Vol 2

Both really fun teen slasher movie from the creator of Goosebumps (iirc), now airing on Netflix.
Vol 3 airs next Friday, and I look forward to seeing how this concludes. A lot more violent that I thought it was gonna be, and some unexpected adult scenes in Vol. 2

I'm not trying to spoil anything, but if you're looking for some new horror to watch, this 3 week Trilogy from Netflix so far has been a really good and fun watch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: July 17, 2021, 04:00:10 AM »
Space Jam 2 - LOL/So Bad

First of all, this movie is absolutely TERRIBLE in almost everyway.
Do yourself a favor and come in to this movie with the mindset to laugh AT the movie and not WITH the movie. That is likely to be the only way to find enjoyment throughout this movie.
Lebron is very uncharismatic as an actor, delivers his lines very stiff.
The first 10 minutes of the movie is literally a "King James Biopic SIZZLE REEL!!!" and we almost shut it off after 20 minutes in, but we pressed on and after that mindset change, found some enjoyment in how terrible this movie was.
There are literally 1000 cameos/references, and honestly maybe even a few good/funny lines, but nothing in this movie is really worth the watch. I wouldn't say avoid at all cost, but certainly don't pay for it.

oh and this
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 12:33:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: July 18, 2021, 01:44:49 AM »
A Quiet Place Part II

It's good. There were a few instances of silliness like a colossal waste of Djimon Hounsou or the fact that the boat carrying one of the creatures made it to the island's shore. Overall, some pretty great performances, particularly Cillian Murphy.

Black Widow

Imagine playing the only female Avenger and being a supporting character in like seven movies before finally getting a starring role two years after your on-screen death then getting upstaged by two brand new, never previously mentioned supporting characters. Florence Pugh and David Harbour are excellent, the former largely steals the show. The dynamic between Natasha and Yelena was completely unearned. They're fun together, but the movie keeps reminding you that they were a pretend family for a short time.

The film itself is fine if largely unnecessary. Reminds me of Thor: Dark World in that it's inoffensive and merely exists. I was really hoping there would be a third act reveal that completely blows everything open. Turns out the entire movie was a vehicle to explain how Natasha got her nice vest in Avengers: Infinity War (it has so many pockets).

Gunpowder Milkshake

The movie opens with narration, and I had a feeling from the outset that I was in for a bad time.

This may be the most pretentious movie I've ever seen. I should have turned it off when Sam (Karen Gillan) goes to a "library" for "books" and even when she's led to the armory, they still keep up the charade and offering her "books". I paused the movie out of frustration. I got it; you're talking about guns. Just say "guns" now. I don't understand what is gained by this pretentious bullshit.

The movie was written by two men who think a woman lead and name-dropping women authors is "feminism". I'm also not convinced either of them have have spoken to other people before because the dialogue doesn't sound the way people talk. And they're bad at world-building.

It was recommended as soon as I opened Netflix yesterday, and my life is a big time waster. I'd pass if you haven't watched it. Do what you like; I'm not your mother. Or am I?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: July 18, 2021, 03:16:22 PM »
The Tomorrow War - I'm only half way through that movie but the time travel rules make no sense to me. If they can only jump so far into the future, and that "time only flows in one direction like a river" and they need to build two time beacons to facilitate jumping back and forth, then how did they do that? How did they go back in time to start with?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:17:06 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: July 18, 2021, 11:49:46 PM »
I'm watfching Gunpoweder Milkshake right now....

I love a good bad movie, and after Space Jam 2... I figure, what do I have to lose.
There's gotta be something enjoyable in this... I'll just have to see for myself.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6465 on: July 18, 2021, 11:56:34 PM »
The Empty Man They were just making it up as they filmed/10

Not a good movie.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: July 19, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »
I'm watfching Gunpoweder Milkshake right now....

I love a good bad movie, and after Space Jam 2... I figure, what do I have to lose.
There's gotta be something enjoyable in this... I'll just have to see for myself.

Ok, so I only made it about 35 minutes in to this movie so far, but that first fight scene in the bowling alley was pretty bad for most of it. Not sure if I'll pick it up again, but wouldn't be bad for some background noise while multitasking on something else.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6467 on: July 25, 2021, 09:53:08 PM »
Black Widow

It was good. I've seen people say this would've been better if released between Infinity War and Endgame.  I agree with that sentiment, but the post-credits scene would've been a spoiler, and I'm not sure where else you put that scene.  The supporting cast is great, and I hope they all make a return.

I saw it today, and it was my first movie back in a theatre.  It was a good enough choice.  The movie has a lot of action, but it feels a little "tropey" I think.  It doesn't do much for the MCU cannon but put in some new faces, so that's nice.

7/10

Space Jam

It's only a bad movie if you think about it; otherwise, this is a movie for kids.  Modern kids' movies are very nonsensical, and this one is no exception.  The slapstick Looney Tunes antics are there, which is nice.  LeBron is no better an actor than MJ was, but this movie feels like it asks more of LeBron to act?  It feels like a LeBron James movie starring the Looney Tunes and not a Looney Tunes movie starring LeBron.  That definitely hurts the film.

Overall, I thought it was good enough.  The part I liked the least was where LeBron's son is basically doing magic to make his video game work.  It's fine if cartoons are doing cartoon things, but the movie doesn't feel grounded on LeBron's end, so the contrast between worlds isn't really there.  The film would've been better off just rehashing the plot from the first film, in my opinion.  So much of what the film was going for just wasn't working for me, but I still found it funny.

6/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: July 26, 2021, 12:59:26 AM »
You said MJ and I thought of Michael Jackson instead.  I suppose I might think of Mary Jane too. Context.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: July 26, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
You said MJ and I thought of Michael Jackson instead.  I suppose I might think of Mary Jane too. Context.

The context was Space Jam

Black Widow

It was good. I've seen people say this would've been better if released between Infinity War and Endgame.  I agree with that sentiment, but the post-credits scene would've been a spoiler, and I'm not sure where else you put that scene.  The supporting cast is great, and I hope they all make a return.

I saw it today, and it was my first movie back in a theatre.  It was a good enough choice.  The movie has a lot of action, but it feels a little "tropey" I think.  It doesn't do much for the MCU cannon but put in some new faces, so that's nice.

7/10

I just came in to post about this. Finished it this morning.
Good action, and I to was thinking that I had revise an earlier statement, because the post credit scene messes up the expected viewing order.

The movie still should've came out sooner, but that post credit scene would need to be placed somewhere else post Endgame.
Honestly, I kinda wondering what the post credit scene would've been had this movie come out during it's place in the timeline. 🤔

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6470 on: July 26, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »

This made me LOL.

But on the subject of the timing of Black Widow, the film itself works either before or after Infinity War, but the character's arc needed to be closed before it closes forever.  I don't know when else it makes sense to put out that scene, though.  Endgame was better for not having a post-credits scene because that let the film feel like it closed the arc.  Spider-Man was the first post-Endgame movie released (and the last MCU theatrical release until now), but that already had a post and mid-credits scene.  It would've been too much.  The only options are tacking it on for Endgame re-releases or the Blu-Ray.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 02:09:07 PM by nickmitch »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6471 on: July 26, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Boss Baby 2

I forgot I saw this a few weeks back.  I had not seen the first one, but I suppose it didn't matter.  It's a kids' movie with a little here and there for the adults.  Most of the humor is "for all ages" though, but it didn't get too many laughs out of me.

Anyway, the plot is very much in that vein of not making sense because it's for children.  I'm willing to let most of it go, but the film opens with the information that the protagonists from the first film are older (one has a family of his own now) and have grown apart.   The younger brother sends gifts to the family, but the brothers otherwise don't talk or see each other.  What bothers me is that the film tells you two things: a) the brothers were more or less estranged by the time the youngest graduated college, b) they were very close, following the first movie, for some years.  They almost go out of their way to shorten the gap of time between being close and semi-estranged.  It just feels like something happened that the movie isn't telling us.  But I'm probably giving it way too much thought.

Jeff Goldblum is in it as the villain, and he's pretty good.  The movie, however, is not good.

4/10

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: July 26, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »

This made me LOL.

But on the subject of the timing of Black Widow, the film itself works either before or after Infinity War, but the character's arc needed to be closed before it closes forever.  I don't know when else it makes sense to put out that scene, though.  Endgame was better for not having a post-credits scene because that let the film feel like it closed the arc.  Spider-Man was the first post-Endgame movie released (and the last MCU theatrical release until now), but that already had a post and mid-credits scene.  It would've been too much.  The only options are tacking it on for Endgame re-releases or the Blu-Ray.

LOL

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: July 27, 2021, 09:58:58 AM »
Fear Street Vol 1 & Vol 2

Both really fun teen slasher movie from the creator of Goosebumps (iirc), now airing on Netflix.
Vol 3 airs next Friday, and I look forward to seeing how this concludes. A lot more violent that I thought it was gonna be, and some unexpected adult scenes in Vol. 2

I'm not trying to spoil anything, but if you're looking for some new horror to watch, this 3 week Trilogy from Netflix so far has been a really good and fun watch.

I forgot to follow up on this, but Vol. 3 was a solid ending to the Fear Street Trilogy, which as you probably guessed, is looking for more sequels/spin-offs.

Last report I saw stated that they were hoping to make an "MCU" of Horror Movies based on the Feat Street books. I don't know how they plan on doing that unless they gonna be releasing movies at a much faster pace, but what I've watched from the series so far was a solid start for a horror franchise. I look forward to seeing what comes from the book next.

The Tomorrow War - I'm only half way through that movie but the time travel rules make no sense to me. If they can only jump so far into the future, and that "time only flows in one direction like a river" and they need to build two time beacons to facilitate jumping back and forth, then how did they do that? How did they go back in time to start with?

I only watched the movie once, but I really don't think they explained that.....
It made sense to only pull people that were already dead at the point of the jump in the future, as to not pull them from the current timeline and risk them not being there in the future they are jumping to, or the off chance of having them run into their future selves causing some sort of paradox.
So in my head, the 2 points of travel things must be that they originally built the machine in the present at some point, but didn't know it's future use as a time machine was actual (theoretical science), yet it still acted as a beacon, allowing the fully completed machine in the future to ping that signal and travel back. Traveling back allowed them to upgrade the machine and allow it to ping the moving point of time in the future to jump back and forth.

but it shouldn't necessarily be up to the viewer to explain the theoretical science of a movie to themselves.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6474 on: July 31, 2021, 02:51:07 AM »
Army of the Dead

I will say that I liked the movie.  Many bad things jumped out at me, but nothing that ruined the film.  There are just as many, if not more, good things; so the film averages out.

It's a heist movie and a zombie movie, which makes for a fun time.  The opening credits take way too long, and there are too many shots that remind you it's a Zack Snyder film.  Some shots just seem overly milked for no reason.  There is one really frustrating scene where a character's impending death feels strung out, and they're able to warn another character of a very specific threat but seem unable to for some reason.

Most of the rest of the movie is really good.  Some moments feel a little over the top, but that's what we're here for.  Many characters are likable enough for you to root for them, and there's just the right amount of comedy in the film.  It's a solid watch if you're enjoying some drinks during the viewing.

7.5/10