Author Topic: Need Help, Norton Anti-Virus  (Read 7856 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Need Help, Norton Anti-Virus
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
HELP!

I keep getting this message, and it won't go away.

So I run my Live Update and it tells me my definitions are up to date. Is this a virus that somehow infected my system, and how to I make this stop!? It pops up every minute or so.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help, Norton Anti-Virus
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
Norton is crap. I use Windows Live OneCare, since you can get it for like $10, and use it on 3 computers.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:11:59 PM »
AVG is free and better than either of those.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »
AVG is free and better than either of those.
I use AVG's free edition on my laptop, but can't find a link to it from that link.  The free version's here: http://free.grisoft.com/
GOREGASM!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
Norton is the crappiest of crap.  Probably the only protection software that's caused more problems on friends' and coworkers' computers is ZoneAlarm.
Personally, I use Avira now, which is also free.  I tried AVG for a while, but it forced reboots too frequently.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »
I've always read that there are better (even free and better) AV and spyware programs, but I've never had a single problem since I've started using OneCare, and it runs seamlessly with Windows. Microsoft should include it as part of Vista, for free.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
nevermind all the trash talkiung on Norton, who do I FIX it. It isn't Norton! I know this because when I run Live Update it tells me my definitions are all up to date, but this pop up keeps interfering with everything I do. Since Norton came with my computer and I just did a clean reboot of my system it was reinstalled as always is and I don't like taking it off because whatever just all I need to know is how to fix this. That stupid pop up is slowing everything down. It was also blocking my internet yesterday but I fixed that.

The thing is I tried doing a System Restore under System Tools and I loaded 3 restore points and I still have the same problem, well I figured I could uninstall Norton but I am scared if I do that I will get infected with something worse. Notice that the check box tells me to ignore Windows Security, if I leave it checked or I uncheck it ten seconds latter the same pop up comes right back.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
Symantec is the company that created Norton.  It is in relation, Norton's fault.  If I were you, i'd turn off automatic update reminders and just learn to update it manually weekly.  If you can't find that option(very likely with Norton), I have other possibilities...
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mysticspike

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:02:52 PM »
First off, I really wish I could help you, but I don't know much about the virus protection programs. I use Norton Anivirus too though, but this has never happened to me so I can't really help you.

Second, nothing anyone (except for DAaaMan64) has been saying has helped at all, and you blame me for posting uselessly.
Okay, okay, so my post didn't really help either, so sue me!
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »
Iknwo Symantec makes Norton, but THIS exact pop up has never happened before, and I have automatic updates AND notices turned off, so there is no reason this should happen. I went to Norton website and I downloaded their updated protocols and ran their update software from the site, which was filed under a FAQ sections specifically devoted to this exact error, the solution once ran told me the only fix was to buy a new version of Norton.

Everyone else, look I appreciate your responses I really do but telling me a program sucks without telling me WHY it sucks does not help me, I have had this same computer for 4 years with the same Norton and I have NEVER had this problem, so I doubt it is Norton also I JUST did a full system restore, last week, so it is as if my computer is brand new.

Anyways I found a solution on their website, I am trying that now will see if it works, if not, maybe I will consider getting a different program, but I am not sure I want to take that plunge, yet. thanks for the replies though seriously.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 08:37:18 PM »
nevermind all the trash talkiung on Norton, who do I FIX it.

Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Symantec Norton > Remove
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 08:46:09 PM »
you do not understand this is NOT Norton doing this, here is how I know, every time I do a complete system restore, I have a Compaq system that lets you do a recover of the whole computer, ok so every time I do this it reinstalls the SAME version of Norton I always have, this pop up is using the NEW Norton logo, but NOT the old logo, in my control panel BOTH Norton programs exist, which I know is not right because that has never happened before. Also when I run the Live Update, the Forced Update and all the other solutions on their website, which incidentally this pop up is not one of their listed on the site, they all fail because this pop up keeps interfering.

The thing is if I uninstall Norton my computer is defensless in the mean time, and this problem persists. I am currently in the process of doing a full system scan, after said scan is complete, and if problem persists, I will uninstall Norton and see if that fixes the problem in which case I will just steal a new version because if Symantec can resort to these times of bullshit tactics to "force" one to upgrade I could careless about doing the right thing in this instance.

IF that does not fix the problem I will just do a full recovery again and try and figure out what the hell I did to get this in the first place.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »
Update, I complete the full system scan, problem persists, I uninstalled Norton, am waiting to see if POP up returns, am also installing above mentions program.

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »
AAAAA! The viruses have you monitered!! They know you are unprotected! They're about to attack!

Nasty little bugs.
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »
well, vudu, brandogg, and everyone else who posted here, thanks for the advice, the program worked the problem is solved. Sadly my Norton Firewall has vanished from my system tray and I am now worried I may have opened a whole other can of worms. oh well.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
Can't you just use the windows Service Pack 2 firewall?

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 09:44:11 PM »
Wow. Now you're right back where you started... Unprotected from the little pests.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »
I turned it off, it pisses me off all the time cu the damn thing TELLS me what progams I can and can't use and I haven't figured out how to disable that **** yet. I tried adding exceptions but that never works. No my Norton Firewall is still there, it just won't who up in the system tray and it won't let me add or change exceptions now. weird.

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
...<speechless>

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
Tell you what. don't have a firewall. Thats what I do.  I have no problems then.  Routers protect those from coming, software firewalls keep those from going out.  Know what software is running and whether you want it running or not.  Then disable the firewall, use firefox or opera exclusively and you'll barely have a need for a virus scanner either. I've set up many computers this way.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »
Sounds like a plan then. I do exclusively use Firefox an the only programs besides those that need internet are azureus and bearshare, both of which I barely use.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:49 AM »
ya dude, don't even bother with a firewall.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »
For a windows antivirus  program I whole heartedly recommend Avast! the only thing is you need to register it (home version registration is free) every year. The only main drawback to avast is that it likes to take up resources especially when it scans.

Rat do you have more than one anti-virus on your system? Because I know that Norton does NOT like to play nice with more than one anti-virus.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »
nope, I have always had just Norton and I have never had this problem before. The neat thing about my pc is it has a recovery partition built in, and thank god it is heavily blocked so nothing can access it, and so if my pc gets too crazy I can always run the recovery program and it wipes my whole pc clean and starts fresh.

I always hated doing this because that means re-downloading all my programs and movies and stuff, but since i traded my DS Lite for a 500GB external Hard Drive, I now have more than enough space to back everything up so it only takes me an hour or two to restore my pc , where before it took a full two weeks to get it all back to how I need it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
Bearshare is packed full of crap that you don't want. There are safer ways to steal music and movies.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 12:04:53 AM »
I usually get the older version out there and block everything except music downloads.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:26 AM »
If I ever had any doubts about using a Mac, this thread killed them. Thanks, rat!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
I have had this problem 1! in five years, how is that bad?

Also a MAC is stupid, so what if they don't get viruses, there are ways to get rid of viruses, a MAC can nto run 90% of the programs I use so it makes no sense to want one. Seriously I had MAC once, it was a decent OS sure, but as soon as I started going through the list and one program after another turned out to be incompatible I remembered why Windows out sells make so much.

So I am glad I was able to help ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »
More and more programs are available for the Mac all the time, and I can run the ones that aren't in Windows via Parallels and I don't let that connect to the internet so I don't need anti-virus software. The best of both worlds.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »
I think when I tried it, Azureus was the only program I had and Firefox I guess, that worked on the MAC, as for booting windows programs in the Mac, I couldn't figure out how to do that and the machine I was using  was pretty slow. Plus Mac's are backwards anyways and they like freak me out. I am not Anti- mac just so ya know, they just don't work for what I do.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 10:30:19 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I like to have some accountability when it comes to virus protection, which is why I stay away from the free programs.

I've used Norton products ever since McAffee decided to force you to log on their website to download updates, which was around 2000. I've never had an issue caused by Norton other than one version being a monster resource hog. Now I have 4GB of RAM so I have no problem with it loading up.

For me, Norton works. It blocks viruses in emails and lets me know if a website is doing evil things in the background. And I get the occasional alert of a program trying to reach the Internet which isn't a big deal. Everyone should just stick with what they are comfortable with and what works for their situation.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »
Get a mac
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
To Bustin, I was all for that same line of thinking, until getting rid of Norton and installing this new program actually worked, Norton did not recognize the virus, but AVG did. Now I have been getting a lot better protection because things I used to do that I knew were risky, it gives me many more warnings. Also Norton came with my PC, so it is pretty much free.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I like to have some accountability when it comes to virus protection, which is why I stay away from the free programs.

I'd be very surprised if the license agreements for Norton, AVG, and any other antivirus products didn't have the exact same disclaimers of liability and fine print notices that you shouldn't count on them for anything.  AVG has a more feature packed version you can pay for if you really want to, anyway.  Not that accountability is actually something you can buy.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »
Ok well so far I have not had any problems so I think I am going to be ok now.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
I'm not really sure what sort of accountability you'd be getting by buying a commercial version.  It's not like the free programs are hosted on some random Joe Blow's server-- they're real companies just like Symantec.  You can always buy the pro versions of the corresponding free versions.  But in that case, I'd recommend Kaspersky. 
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 05:05:55 PM »
Ok so I do not know if it is my computer messing up again or the forums are all wacked out right now, but everything is going super slow and loading the pages all funny right now. I hope it is the forums messing up and not my pc. Cuz I know you guys can fix the forums, I likely won't know what to do if it is my computer.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
It's the forums. 99.9% of the time, problems described with rendering a webpage are with the server.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 04:08:59 AM »
Disconnect from the internet. Problem solved.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 04:50:32 AM »
but everything is going super slow and loading the pages all funny right now.

Post some screen captures of what is being displayed. That'll help.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 12:28:26 AM »
it as the forums, it is working now. It wasn't that bad it was just the ads were all displaying weird and the pages were all super slow. I mean really really slow like slower than dial up slow. But is fine now.