Author Topic: Robocop  (Read 4014 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Robocop
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
I watched this today and it really wasn't as good as I remembered it being. It was still a pretty good movie for the most part but when I was a kid it was one of my top ten movies, now it just doesn't seam to do much for me. I waited the whole movie to hear Mr. Smith say Dumb Ass just one time, but he never did.

I did find it amusing all the commercials for futuristic products sprinkled around the place and everything just screams 80's pop culture. Sucks that all the sequels had to turn out so horrible cuz this could have been a pretty good franchise if they hadn't effed it up so bad.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Robocop
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
I like Robocop 2 just as much as the first. Frank Miller cameos FTW.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00:39 AM »
Wow what a co-incidence. I watched it for the first time ever last night. I watched some directors cut or something and I have to say, that movie was fucken awesome. I knew I was onto a winner when the other robot malfunctioned and shot the **** through that guy at the start.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
Robocop is still good, the first and second. 3 was the awful one. The TV show was meh. Being TV, it couldn't ramp up the violence to any meaningful level.

BOOM BOOM BOOM "Thank you for not smoking".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »
I liked the miniseries, Prime Directives.  It has that ridiculous computer-virus-that-can-kill-people thing, but everything else about it is good.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »
what have you done!??!?!

Dont you know that the movie studios comb the internet to find what people are slightly interested in so they can rehash it into a new summer movie.

Looks like a Robocop Returns is gonna come out Summer of '09 now.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »
Get Peter Weller to reprise the role and I'll be there.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
Robocop is amazing. It's such a wonderful satire on violence and culture... it was like the GTA of its time in movies. Robocop 2 is also amazing. And Starship troopers. Paul Verhoeven rocks.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
Wow what a co-incidence. I watched it for the first time ever last night. I watched some directors cut or something and I have to say, that movie was fucken awesome. I knew I was onto a winner when the other robot malfunctioned and shot the **** through that guy at the start.

That's because Frank Miller is the **** (well for Robocop 2 that is).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:07:37 PM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »
I would be interested in a remake of Robocop, a one time, totally serious take on the franchise.  Just to have a nice contrast between the blatant satire of the original and Robocop that takes itself completely seriously totally serial.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
Robocop was the first R-rated movie I ever saw.  My Mom was quite overly-protective so I didn't see that many, well, COOL movies until I was about 12 or so.  My parents would "preview" films they felt were iffy and often they maintained a firm "NO" as the answer.  I actually think taking the time to watch films they weren't sure their kids should watch was great parenting (I plan to do the same thing) but they were WAY too strict with it.  Harmless stuff like Batman and the f*cking INDIANA JONES movies were considered too violent or scary or whatever.

Anyway my Dad was a little more slack about this stuff.  My Mom was out-of-town for a few weeks and this was when the Robocop TV show was on and we all thought it was pretty cool.  So my Dad rented it for us on a night that he had a class or something.  Anyway I was baby-sitting.  Five minutes into the film ED-209 rips that executive's body apart with bullets and my youngest brother who wasn't even ten yet practically goes into shock.  We had NEVER seen a film like that before.  Most films we had seen didn't even kill off bad guys let alone kill ALL of them off with blood flying everywhere, not to mention a guy getting covered in toxic waste and then EXPLODING into guts after getting hit by a car.  This film also had REAL swearing.  Before that a bad word in a movie for me was "damn", "ass" and "sh!t".  In this film everyone said "f*ck" without batting an eye.

For years my brothers actually didn't like the film because it was so violent.  As kids we didn't get the obvious satire.  Later I saw it again and raved about how great it was and only recently when they caught bits of it on TV did my brothers finally start to consider it a good movie.  I hate the sequels but the first film is awesome.

It had the unfortunate timing of being our first big shocking R-rated movie so it doesn't get the same respect in my house as Terminator or Predator do.  Too bad.  The 80's was the decade of killer action movies.  Lots of crap too or course but the good ones are amazing.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
I still liked it, but I liked it obsessively as a kid. I watched the TV show, had all the video games and even bought the toys. Now it just a good movie. I never did see all of Robocop 2 from beginning to end, we had it on tape recorded from Showtime during one of their free previews, and my stupid sister recorded over parts of it with some beauty pageant or crap like that. So my opinion of that movie is tainted by the stench of that horrible mistake my sister made in editing. I eventually would like to go back and rewatch it all from start to finish though.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"